Another sign of the end of the world

  1. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Another sign of the end of the world


    Not just me and mulletsoldier agreeing again (although Nostradamus foretold that as well)

    No zero grades for Collier County elementary students
    NAPLES -- (AP) -- Fifty is the new zero for Collier County elementary school students.

    The school district has replaced 0 with 50 as the lowest score a student can get on an assignment. Officials say zeros are punitive and rarely reflect a student's overall abilities.

    Students will not be allowed to ignore assignments and just accept an automatic 50. They will be required to make up any work they skipped. Those who still earn low scores also will receive extra help.

    The union that represents most of the district's teachers says some have complained about the new scoring system. They say it undermines teachers' credibility in the classroom, and that students need to know there are consequences for not doing the work.

  2. Professional Member
    Australian made's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,160
    Rep Power
    4323
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    68.77%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    this hapened in australia with our end of school exams a long time ago.....subjects get graded on their difficulty. eg - i did quite a high level of maths, in the final two years my average would have been around 40-50%. Final big exam i might have got just over 50%..........final score in my HSC 72/100....never once scored higher then that on any exam in those two years which is what makes up those scores.....lowest mark is 50........and if your a real idiot you just get told "under 50" or something like that.
  3. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,820
    Rep Power
    1317971

    The union that represents most of the district's teachers says some have complained about the new scoring system. They say it undermines teachers' credibility in the classroom, and that students need to know there are consequences for not doing the work.
    This is a consequences free society - your children should know this immediately or sooner if possible.
    •   
       

  4. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    this hapened in australia with our end of school exams a long time ago.....subjects get graded on their difficulty. eg - i did quite a high level of maths, in the final two years my average would have been around 40-50%. Final big exam i might have got just over 50%..........final score in my HSC 72/100....never once scored higher then that on any exam in those two years which is what makes up those scores.....lowest mark is 50........and if your a real idiot you just get told "under 50" or something like that.
    that explains a lot about you

    Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    This is a consequences free society - your children should know this immediately or sooner if possible.
    It isn't entirely one yet, but we definitely are headed that way more and more each year, and our incoming administration is committed to making it even moreso. It saddens me greatly as I believe its among the signs of the senescence of a society. "We're tired of trying so hard so if its impossible to fail, we won't have to try so hard anymore and we can just relax".
  5. Professional Member
    Australian made's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,160
    Rep Power
    4323
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    68.77%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    still came top 10 out of over 200 students from a well performing school.......if i do say so myself
  6. Registered User
    RedwolfWV's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    51
    Posts
    3,258
    Rep Power
    1989
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Just another indication of the "dumbing down" of the American Education System.
  7. Professional Member
    Australian made's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,160
    Rep Power
    4323
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    68.77%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Better performing schools do get more funding correct? so it pays for students to receive higher marks..........some interesting points about teaches cheating in "Freakonomics"...worth a read.
  8. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,503
    Rep Power
    1097382
    Level
    74
    Lv. Percent
    53.49%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    as a teacher this is such a horrible sgn of our future. I used to work in a school where you couldnt grade in red ink or give F's (instead it was an E) as it might hurt the psychological make up of the kids. How ridiculous
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  9. Elite Member
    SilentBob187's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    7,851
    Rep Power
    11116
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    25.8%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    My precious snowflake can't get a 0!
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  10. Advanced Member
    allstar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    23
    Posts
    761
    Rep Power
    460
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    53.84%

    Why couldnt you grade in red ink? lol
  11. Senior Member
    mattikus's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,592
    Rep Power
    335532
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    38.6%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Supposedly in India, there are more kids at an honors level than there are kids in America.

    Check this out. http://www.wearechange.org/2008/11/cool-facts.html
  12. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    21,515
    Rep Power
    831746
    Level
    86
    Lv. Percent
    75.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    This is a consequences free society - your children should know this immediately or sooner if possible.
    Reality is already a hard enough pill to swallow. This just makes it that much harder.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  13. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    38
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3263
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    31.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    sadly, when you graduate HS in canada, you can test out of 1-1.5 years of college when you transfer to the US. in 10th grade in vancouver BC, i was taking what they call Math 10B - A would be advanced, B basic, C lower level. math 10B in the US is a college course, which we call trigonometry/precalculus. when i transferred to the US, they said i was done with HS math.

    the US graduates 1/10 of the engineers that india does, on any given year. our education system is in drastic need of an overhaul.
  14. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    21,515
    Rep Power
    831746
    Level
    86
    Lv. Percent
    75.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post

    the US graduates 1/10 of the engineers that india does, on any given year. our education system is in drastic need of an overhaul.
    Cuz we all just wanna be big rock stars.


    /brain drain & reality check coming at 100mph, America
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  15. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mattikus View Post
    Supposedly in India, there are more kids at an honors level than there are kids in America.

    Check this out. http://www.wearechange.org/2008/11/cool-facts.html
    keep in mind they have 3x the people in general as we do as well, and the bottom 1/3 income wise live worse than our homeless do....
  16. New Member
    bigcuz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    96
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    73.41%

    Whats the difference between a 0 and a 50? Both are failing. If your kids making anywhere in between, then he has a problem regardless of it being scored as a 50 or 0. The only people that should be complaining are the students that get legit 50's , because now they will be ranked with other kids that got 49's and below. Easy, do u wish bad on America or something, seems like you can turn any topic into a doom and gloom subject.
  17. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    its the pussification of america that is a problem...

    if there are 100 questions on a test and you get 0 right, it does mean you are dumber than the kid who got 50 right. If a kid is that dumb, then glossing over it by giving him 50s on his homework + exams will possibly let him pass given that attendance, behavior and classroom participation make up half their grade.... so a kid who can't ever manage to answer a question right on exams or homework but shows up every day and is well behaved gets 50 * .50 and 100 *.50 for a total of 75, a C.

    We're just more and more removing any responsibility from people. Its the signs of a society decaying. We all can stop it, if we refuse to allow the pussies among us dictate making our kids even bigger pussies. If red ink has "negative effects on a childs self esteem" too bad, a kid that is dumb shouldn't be proud of his dumbness.
  18. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    21,515
    Rep Power
    831746
    Level
    86
    Lv. Percent
    75.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcuz View Post
    Whats the difference between a 0 and a 50? Both are failing. If your kids making anywhere in between, then he has a problem regardless of it being scored as a 50 or 0. The only people that should be complaining are the students that get legit 50's , because now they will be ranked with other kids that got 49's and below. Easy, do u wish bad on America or something, seems like you can turn any topic into a doom and gloom subject.
    All kids deserve A's, so as not to damage their self-esteem.

    Just don't be surprised when your failure of a brain surgeon (all kids deserve to graduate from Med School, so as to not damage their self-esteem) turns someone you love into a vegetable.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  19. New Member
    bigcuz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    96
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    73.41%

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    its the pussification of america that is a problem...

    if there are 100 questions on a test and you get 0 right, it does mean you are dumber than the kid who got 50 right. If a kid is that dumb, then glossing over it by giving him 50s on his homework + exams will possibly let him pass given that attendance, behavior and classroom participation make up half their grade.... so a kid who can't ever manage to answer a question right on exams or homework but shows up every day and is well behaved gets 50 * .50 and 100 *.50 for a total of 75, a C.

    We're just more and more removing any responsibility from people. Its the signs of a society decaying. We all can stop it, if we refuse to allow the pussies among us dictate making our kids even bigger pussies. If red ink has "negative effects on a childs self esteem" too bad, a kid that is dumb shouldn't be proud of his dumbness.
    I think you guys are over analyzing this. Okay, a kid drops out of school in the 6th grade, 6 years later he gets his GED in about a month. He can still get the same jobs as the kid with the Highschool diploma, he can still join the military, and he can still go to college. So whats the big deal here. If a kids smart, then he smart. If a kid wants to goof off, he's gonna goof off. I think that the parent holds more responsibility than the school system here. They can turn 50's into 60's doesn't matter, a stupid kid is a stupid kid.
  20. New Member
    nofx4110's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  177 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    125
    Rep Power
    137
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    78.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    All kids deserve A's, so as not to damage their self-esteem.

    Just don't be surprised when your failure of a brain surgeon (all kids deserve to graduate from Med School, so as to not damage their self-esteem) turns someone you love into a vegetable.
    Exactly. The school system is being held more and more accountable for failures the parents are making. The school system is ultimately failing the students by not allowing them to fail. One of the most enlightening experiences of my entire life occurred when I dropped out of college. Before I dropped out I was a D student at best (Withdrew, so they are now W's), two years later (now) I have a 3.7 gpa and I am getting ready to take the LSAT.
  21. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    21,515
    Rep Power
    831746
    Level
    86
    Lv. Percent
    75.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by nofx4110 View Post
    I have a 3.7 gpa and I am getting ready to take the LSAT.
    Drugs aren't the answer, son. I took a lot of that LSAT when I was younger, thinking that is where the answer was, man, but it's nothin but a bunch of LIES, man, LIES.

    Wait...wut?
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  22. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcuz View Post
    I think you guys are over analyzing this. Okay, a kid drops out of school in the 6th grade, 6 years later he gets his GED in about a month. He can still get the same jobs as the kid with the Highschool diploma, he can still join the military, and he can still go to college. So whats the big deal here. If a kids smart, then he smart. If a kid wants to goof off, he's gonna goof off. I think that the parent holds more responsibility than the school system here. They can turn 50's into 60's doesn't matter, a stupid kid is a stupid kid.
    but if the kid shouldn't be passing because they can't demonstrate the knowledge then something should be done about it, not just pass the kid, which is what can and will happen in this. What if the kid can't read? he can still pass every class with retarded 50s for 0s.
  23. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,503
    Rep Power
    1097382
    Level
    74
    Lv. Percent
    53.49%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by allstar View Post
    Why couldnt you grade in red ink? lol
    they thought it was too harsh on the their ego.

    the issue truly comes down to parents in certain districts. no parent wants to believe anything other than their kid is "special". When in all actuality their kid is and will always be average. WHen the kid gets to HS, the criteria changes and it is a tough adjustment, and the kids struggle for the most part, and the parents cant figure out why.

    This is where you get the helicopter and lawnmower parents.

    Helicopter: hovers over everything the kid will ever do
    Lawnmower: wants to clear out all obstacles for their child.

    Bother are equally bad, since as the kid grows they think this is what life is
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  24. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    they thought it was too harsh on the their ego.

    the issue truly comes down to parents in certain districts. no parent wants to believe anything other than their kid is "special". When in all actuality their kid is and will always be average. WHen the kid gets to HS, the criteria changes and it is a tough adjustment, and the kids struggle for the most part, and the parents cant figure out why.

    This is where you get the helicopter and lawnmower parents.

    Helicopter: hovers over everything the kid will ever do
    Lawnmower: wants to clear out all obstacles for their child.

    Bother are equally bad, since as the kid grows they think this is what life is

    You mean sort of like paying someone for not working, and giving them more money for each additional child they have that they can't afford?
  25. New Member
    joelast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    192
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    7.91%

    Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Reality is already a hard enough pill to swallow. This just makes it that much harder.
    Its a fukcing huge pill
  26. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by joelast View Post
    Its a fukcing huge pill
    its potato sized, and its a suppository
  27. Advanced Member
    Dadof2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    416
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    49.08%

    Just another crack in the foundation of Western Civilization. The US will be a third world nation within the next 20 or so years unless something drastic happens.
  28. New Member
    nofx4110's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  177 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    125
    Rep Power
    137
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    78.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Drugs aren't the answer, son. I took a lot of that LSAT when I was younger, thinking that is where the answer was, man, but it's nothin but a bunch of LIES, man, LIES.

    Wait...wut?
    I can't quit it man... I've had a taste and there's no going back...
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. World Peace or World Freedom?
    By Dr. Lats in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-01-2010, 12:15 PM
  2. Its A SIGN!!!!!
    By NickyNoNames in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-24-2006, 06:39 PM
  3. Sign me up!!!
    By revodrew in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2006, 09:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in