slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
This should be interesting even after the election is over

Newsmax.com

RNC: Obama 'Outside Law' on Donors
Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:40 PM

By: Kenneth R. Timmerman

The Republican National Committee on Thursday supplemented its Oct. 6 complaint to the Federal Election Committee and — citing new revelations by Newsmax and other news organizations — called on the FEC to “immediately conduct a full audit” of the Obama campaign accounts.

The RNC complaint asserts that the Obama campaign had demonstrated a “lack of compliance with the law” because of its acceptance of prohibited donations from foreign nationals, excessive contributions from individuals, and donations from unknown sources.

At the same time, RNC officials said they recognize that the FEC has “no authority” to freeze campaign accounts or to take other actions that would actually prevent the Obama campaign from spending money illegally obtained from foreign nationals to influence the U.S. presidential election.

“The system isn’t designed for actors who are going to ignore the law,” RNC chief legal counsel Sean Cairncross told Newsmax.

A Newsmax analysis of the Obama campaign’s campaign finance disclosures found 60,000 donations in unrounded amounts that fundraising experts said clearly suggested were “foreign currency transactions” translated into U.S. dollars.

The Obama campaign claims that many of these donations were purchases of T-shirts form the Obama store. However, when asked by Newsmax to provide an accounting for receipts and expenditures of the Obama store, Obama spokesman Ben LaBolt could only name a single supplier who sold merchandise worth less than $500,000, according to campaign records.

[Editor's Note: See "Obama Donations Enshrouded in Mystery."]

RNC chief counsel Sean Caircross commended Newsmax for reporting that helped to break open the secretive fundraising schemes used by the Obama campaign.

“The Newsmax articles constitute some of the exhibits to our original complaint,” he said. “We commend Newsmax and other media organizations who are doing a good job in looking into what seems to be a rather large issue for the Obama campaign.”

Reporting by Newsmax and others of fictitious donors such as “Family Guy” and “King Kong” made it “clear that the Obama For America campaign is operating outside of the law,” Cairncross said.

“The complete and total lack of any control mechanisms within the Obama campaign’s fundraising operation has undermined any confidence in their ability to curtail excessive, foreign, and fraudulent contributions and demands immediate attention from the Federal Election Commission (FEC),” he added.

The RNC now believes that the Obama campaign violated federal election law by “accepting contributions resulting from third party fraud, and possibly accepting contributions made in the name of another,” the complaint asserts.

Such contributions — made in the name of “Saddam Hussein,” “Osama bin Laden,” “OJ Simpson” and others — are the only violation of federal election law that carries a criminal penalty, RNC sources and outside campaign finance lawyers said.

While the Obama campaign has said repeatedly that they have procedures in place to screen out possible illegal donations, the spate of news reporting to the contrary shows that they have failed, the latest RNC complaint asserts.

“Developing a large donor base and raising enormous sums of money” — excuses commonly cited by the Obama campaign for the influx of illegal donations — “is not an excuse for ignoring the law.”

While the Obama campaign claims that it has “bent over backward” to root out illegal contributions, it has ignored contributions that were explicitly made by foreign nationals, the complaint says, citing an August 2008 report from the Associated Press.

The AP report identified Australian citizen Richard Watters, who contributed $1,000 to the Obama campaign via the Internet “by entering a fake U.S. passport number and checking a box stating that he was a U.S. citizen living abroad.”

In another case, a Canadian donor named Tom Sanderson gave $500 to the Obama campaign via the Internet, and included a note in one of the address fields stating, “I am not a (sic) American citizen!”

“From the moment it was made, the Sanderson contribution was clear on its face that it was coming to a foreign national,” the RNC complaint states.

Given that the Obama campaign couldn’t detect such an obvious violation of law, “it is unsurprising that (Obama for America) was also unable to detect contributions from unknown sources with blatantly fictitious names,” the complaint says.

The RNC complaint cites the “now infamous” cases of “Good Will” and “Doodad Pro,” which Newsmax helped to expose.

[Editor's Note: See "Secret, Foreign Money Floods Into Obama Campaign."]

The New York Times exposed contributions from other fictitious donors such as “Test Person,” residing in “Some Place, Utah,” and “Jockim Alberton,” residing at a fictional address in Wilmington, Delaware. They also cited donors giving the names “Derty West” and “Derty Poiuuy,” both residing in “rewq, ME.”

The Los Angeles Times found a series of contributions from “Mong Kong” that gave a nonexistent address. The Obama campaign said they were unaware of the illegality of these contributions until the press reports appeared.

Other contributions were comprised of randomly selected letters. The Obama campaign took 37 separate donations of $10 each from “Jgtj Jfggijfgi,” $7,497.59 from “Dahsudhu Hdusahfd,” and $11,900 from “Uadhshgu Hduadh.”

The RNC says it believes that while some of the contributors using fictitious names may have done so “in order to remain anonymous… Many of them may have been using fictitious names to skirt the law,” since their contributions were “far more than the $4,300 legal limit.”

Not only has the Obama campaign “accepted contributions from unknown sources, but it also may have accepted contributions made in the name of another,” the RNC said.

“A Newsmax investigation reports the existence of a growing trend to purchase disposable “gift” credit cards to make donations,” the complaint says, citing a report that appeared earlier this week.

[Editor's Note: See "Obama Turns Blind Eye to Credit Card Donation Fraud."]

“These 'gift' credit cards can only be tracked by the numbers, so there is no way of knowing who made the contribution,” the complaint states.

A Newsmax informant said he had made a series of $5 donations in less than an hour, each time using “a different name and address, all of which were obviously fictitious and some even including foreign addresses,” the RNC complaint states.

Among the fictitious donors were “Daffy Duck,” “Bart Simpson,” and “Raela Odinga.”

In addition, the RNC cited several media reports that said both personal and corporate credit cards had been charged with unauthorized contributions to the Obama campaign.

Ms. Patricia Phillips, a Virginia resident who also is a candidate for the State Senate, discovered a $5 charge on her corporate credit card statement for a contribution to the Obama campaign.

“Ms. Phillip’s situation is troublesome for two primary reasons,” the RNC complaint states. “First, OFA accepted a contribution from a corporate credit card,” which is illegal. “Second, OFA accepted a contribution that was fraudulently made.”

The Washington Post uncovered that donation, as well as a $2,300 contribution made to OFA that was charged to the credit card of Steve and Rachel Larman of Missouri without the couple’s knowledge.

As Republicans, they were surprised to receive their credit card statement and discover the donation to the Obama campaign.

The RNC complaint noted that, by all appearances, the Obama campaign had disabled standard security features on its fundraising website.

“For example, online merchants usually match the cardholders’ provided name and address to the credit card number to protect against fraud,” the RNC noted. But “given the high number of fictitious contributor names linked to credit card contributions, OFA appears not to be consistently following this practice.”

Even more troubling than these cases appearing in the Obama campaign’s itemized contributions is the $270 million that the campaign has taken from undisclosed sources.

“The RNC believes that widespread illegalities may exist among these un-itemized contributions and requests that the Commission immediately investigate both itemized and un-itemized contributions in both the OFA primary and general election periods to ensure a fair and open election.

“The American people deserve to know the origin of the over $600 million that may help elect a President of the United States,” the complaint concludes.

© 2008 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
When you have no grass roots, complain about the other guy that does and is whippin your butt.

:bruce3:

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
When you have no grass roots, complain about the other guy that does and is whippin your butt.
What are you talking about? This is a legitimate concern and one that was supposed to have been addressed in 1974 and again in 2002. What is happening today could negatively affect future elections. Your man crush is getting a bit out of control. BTW, didn't your candidate agree to public financing and didn't even respond when questioned about it in the last debate?

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established

Lets see, donating $850,000 to ACORN, who was shown to fraudulently secure thousands of votes. Now its shown he fraudulently accepted large amounts of campaign donations.

Obama is cheating.

Its too bad the department of justice doesn't have the balls to get involved in this.

Iraqi and Afghanistani elections were run better than American elections. What's sad is that democrats know on the election system is fcuked up but know its fckued up in their favor so they don't care.

grila jujitsu

grila jujitsu

Awards
  • Established
haaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

nothings been proven yet, lets not make false accusations.

- GJJ

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
haaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

- GJJ
So if it hasn't been proven its a false accusation?

By that logic every court case is a false accusation until the person is found guilty.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
if obama gets office, which he may due to cheating, we will witness one of the most corrupt and scandalous presidencies ever. And probably the first assassination in a long time. Looking at the public. Obama isnt leading the polls because of popularity, he is leading because of rigged polls.

grila jujitsu

grila jujitsu

Awards
  • Established
wow... i dont even know why i post in here any more. I really truly believe am going to get a normal rational argument in these threads and that almost never seems to be the case. I'm so done, please people do some reading before you speak.

Thanks
GJJ

grila jujitsu

grila jujitsu

Awards
  • Established
So if it hasn't been proven its a false accusation?

By that logic every court case is a false accusation until the person is found guilty.

last time i check people were innocent un-till proven guilty.....

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
last time i check people were innocent un-till proven guilty.....
That's not what you said...you said an accusation is false until proven guilty. An accusation is an accusation until proven true or false.

grila jujitsu

grila jujitsu

Awards
  • Established
That's not what you said...you said an accusation is false until proven guilty. An accusation is an accusation until proven true or false.

thats not at all what i said... I said nothing has been proven.

But, i will agree that an accusation is false until proven otherwise.

I could accuse you of being a smelly old man who lies out ur butt, now would that be true or false? i would say false until proven!

I cant believe i posted again! I am so mad at myself.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
thats not at all what i said... I said nothing has been proven.
This is what you said:
haaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahaha

- GJJ
So that's exactly what you said.

But, i will agree that an accusation is false until proven otherwise.
Um, I assume you mean an accusation should BE TREATED as false until its proven otherwise.....

You don't honestly believe all accusation are in fact not true unless proven otherwise.

Also, proven by who, an independent inquiry? The court of public opinion? A civil case? A criminal case? Each has a different standard in finding someone guilty.

I could accuse you of being a smelly old man who lies out ur butt, now would that be true or false? i would say false until proven!
And if I was a smelly old man who lied out of my butt it would be true, whether or not you proved it. People would most likely not acknowledge the truth in it until you proved it, but it wouldn't change the fact that it was true.

I cant believe i posted again! I am so mad at myself.
I don't know why you did either :)

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
The obama donation page has zero security in place for donations. Ayers himself could logon and donate a bajillionfafillion dollars.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
if obama gets office, which he may due to cheating, we will witness one of the most corrupt and scandalous presidencies ever. And probably the first assassination in a long time. Looking at the public. Obama isnt leading the polls because of popularity, he is leading because of rigged polls.
Dude go to your church and truly pray for forgiveness. You my friend are truly delusional. And at such a young age tsk, tsk, tsk

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I just find it ironic that all of the people who have money and thus everything to lose, who likewise control the media, and the government via lobbyists... would conspire to want Obama to win. I mean he would cause them to lose more than McCain would...

Maybe I'm missing something...

V

vikinginc

Awards
  • Established
Dude go to your church and truly pray for forgiveness. You my friend are truly delusional. And at such a young age tsk, tsk, tsk

I'm assuming you're a member of Obama's Trinity Church of 'Christ' [would this be a supposed BLACK 'Christ'?] His values are frightening, and his affiliations even more so.

His churchs' 'Black Value System' seperates the Black Christians from the common Christian beliefs. It's not about Christianity as a united front, but rather, a division of Blacks and Whites . . . Seperatists . . Afrocentric mind-set .. It's about the BLACK community. They refer to themselves as AFRICAN people; are they even Americans?

Obama also told the Tribune, "Commitment to God, black community, commitment to the black family, the black work ethic, self-discipline and self-respect. ...Those are values that the conservative movement in particular has suggested are necessary for black advancement." . . . Where's this gonna end ?

Oh, and Obama's obviously favored by the media. The fact that you don't get that; TSK, TSK, TSK . . . I mean, it's quite disgusting ! He virtually OWNS four, five TV news-stations, along with having a great amount of support from the overly Liberal newspapers. And now LA TIMES is keeping a video from the public view, where Obama's perhaps praising Rashid Kalili (?) of the PLO ? I mean .. what's he thinking; that he can wine and dine with every god damn world leader, no matter what their terrorist affiliations are, and not be judged for it ?

I'm sorry, I may be mistaken; but I thought the Media was supposed to simply cover the news, in an un-biased way?! .. un-biased, meaning, not taking a side, and presenting arguments from both Left and Right, without having preferential treatment. God damn, CNN and MSNBC are ****in' disgusting . . . and even provide falsified information about Palin to put her in an awful light LIVE ON AIR IN AN INTERVIEW WITH PALIN, and when they was realized they mis-interpreted the information provided, didn't even bow down and apologize ? Pathetic and shameless .. FOX News are the only ones who actually give out all the information, speak with both sides, and remain faithful to giving the American people valid information . . Pick any show; Hannity & Colmes, Bill O'Reilly .. whatever .. watch ten episodes covering the Election in some form or fashion on one of these shows, and you'll find that they've had an even ratio of Republican supporters to the crazy left-winged supporters interviewed.. Do the same with CNN, and you find them sucking Liberal nuts about 90% of the time.. Palin has been treated in such a tasteless way; I mean, taking hits at her kids, even ? Weak, fvccking' WEAK ! Arrrgh, it's scary to see where the future of this nation is heading . .

Oh, Obama, what a cheater . . . from beginning to end, LITERALLY !

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
I'm assuming you're a member of Obama's Trinity Church of 'Christ' [would this be a supposed BLACK 'Christ'?] His values are frightening, and his affiliations even more so.

His churchs' 'Black Value System' seperates the Black Christians from the common Christian beliefs. It's not about Christianity as a united front, but rather, a division of Blacks and Whites . . . Seperatists . . Afrocentric mind-set .. It's about the BLACK community. They refer to themselves as AFRICAN people; are they even Americans?

Obama also told the Tribune, "Commitment to God, black community, commitment to the black family, the black work ethic, self-discipline and self-respect. ...Those are values that the conservative movement in particular has suggested are necessary for black advancement." . . . Where's this gonna end ?

Oh, and Obama's obviously favored by the media. The fact that you don't get that; TSK, TSK, TSK . . . I mean, it's quite disgusting ! He virtually OWNS four, five TV news-stations, along with having a great amount of support from the overly Liberal newspapers. And now LA TIMES is keeping a video from the public view, where Obama's perhaps praising Rashid Kalili (?) of the PLO ? I mean .. what's he thinking; that he can wine and dine with every god damn world leader, no matter what their terrorist affiliations are, and not be judged for it ?

I'm sorry, I may be mistaken; but I thought the Media was supposed to simply cover the news, in an un-biased way?! .. un-biased, meaning, not taking a side, and presenting arguments from both Left and Right, without having preferential treatment. God damn, CNN and MSNBC are ****in' disgusting . . . and even provide falsified information about Palin to put her in an awful light LIVE ON AIR IN AN INTERVIEW WITH PALIN, and when they was realized they mis-interpreted the information provided, didn't even bow down and apologize ? Pathetic and shameless .. FOX News are the only ones who actually give out all the information, speak with both sides, and remain faithful to giving the American people valid information . . Pick any show; Hannity & Colmes, Bill O'Reilly .. whatever .. watch ten episodes covering the Election in some form or fashion on one of these shows, and you'll find that they've had an even ratio of Republican supporters to the crazy left-winged supporters interviewed.. Do the same with CNN, and you find them sucking Liberal nuts about 90% of the time.. Palin has been treated in such a tasteless way; I mean, taking hits at her kids, even ? Weak, fvccking' WEAK ! Arrrgh, it's scary to see where the future of this nation is heading . .

Oh, Obama, what a cheater . . . from beginning to end, LITERALLY !

You'll get over it, I could explain it too you but it would be a waste of my time. Suffice it to say Your candidate ran a crappy campaign, period. If you call having your **** together cheating, then Obama is the biggest cheater of the year. The smears and innuendo didn't work this time for 2 reasons 1. George Bush has left a bad taste in peoples mouth and 2. Contrary to what you think, Obama is the better candidate.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just find it ironic that all of the people who have money and thus everything to lose, who likewise control the media, and the government via lobbyists... would conspire to want Obama to win. I mean he would cause them to lose more than McCain would...

Maybe I'm missing something...
You are. Tsoros would bankrupt himself to avoid another republican in office. and there are plenty of others, particularly hollywood types who dont really care. Do another film if they need more money... So they get their production assistant to make 100 donations a day for $190 each for them, for $19k a day and it all doesn't have to be reported by Obama.