DYEGYE's kickin it old skool with Ancient Strength!

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by OnTheRoadTo View Post
    285 for 10? sick, that's a max way over 315
    Im thinking he meant 185 for 10.

2. Nice workout man! Some big forearm pumps are crazy! Nice job!
    Recoverbro Elite
    "This is what we've been working on"
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    Im thinking he meant 185 for 10.
    Yeah, this is why I need to proofread.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheRoadTo View Post
    Murder as many animals as you can on cycle, 400g+ protein always.

Don't overthink it, just do what any androgen crazed barbarian would do

4. Quote Originally Posted by DYEGYE View Post
    Yeah, this is why I need to proofread.
    Lol ya I think it would be a bit strange to do 295 for 1 and then later do 285 for 10.

5. DESTROYED my legs tonight.

Squats 135x8 225x5 315x5 365x1 385x1 405x2 425x1 (NEW PR!) 225x15 225x10
    Standing calf raise machine 300x25 405x15 405x12 495x10
    Lying Hamstring curl 150x12 150x12 160x10 170x5 100x12 (the dropset burned like hell)
    Leg Extensions 130x15 145x15 160x15 175x15 190x15 190x15

I had that same guy that gave me the singles progression for deadlifts help me with my squats a bit. It would seem I need to back off the weight and work on my depth again. I definitely go deep enough from a bb standpoint, but in terms of powerlifting I'm having trouble getting into the hole due to my height.

On the plus side, I was cleaning out my dresser and I found some new shoes to wear for legs- I used to be a competitive paintball player and I had some indoor soccer shoes that I bought to wear on turf but never really used because they didn't grip the way I wanted them to (that stuff gets slippery with all the paint on it). They're practically brand new and the have a really nice flat sole and fit my feet nice and tight, which is awesome because I can't really wear chuck taylors. I'd been wearing my zigs lately and the thick soles were messing me up, but I definitely felt an improved level of control tonight.

Those widowmaker squats at the end were nice and deep and they really killed me. I might make my entire squat workout next week be like a 3x5 or 5x5 at 315 and then do a couple sets of widowmakers to really work on my depth. That 425 felt really good, even if it was a tad on the shallow side.

Definitely noticing a difference with the ancient strength at this point. Recovery is better and my workouts are more intense. I might add in a post workout dose starting tomorrow and see if it makes an even bigger improvement. I will say this much- with the results I've gotten thus far, I'll definitely be recommending this creatine to all my friends and clients, and will buy more bottles for myself. I think that it would be especially appealing to the ladies, as from what I've seen I really haven't had any water retention.

One other thing of note- I switched from whey to beef protein post workout for the last week or so. I know it's a little less bioavailable, but the amino acid blend it provides seems more ideal for building solid muscle. I'm using Dymatize Primal because it's more affordable than some other products on the market and provides 27g of protein per scoop. To boost absorption I'm taking it with a scoop of ON glyco-maize. I would definitely use a beef protein by NTBM if they made one *wink wink nudge nudge*

6. Maybe one day NTBM will have some Beef protein...you never know!!

Nice detailed log man!! Keep it comin'
    Recoverbro Elite

7. Quote Originally Posted by DYEGYE View Post
    DESTROYED my legs tonight.

Squats 135x8 225x5 315x5 365x1 385x1 405x2 425x1 (NEW PR!) 225x15 225x10
    Standing calf raise machine 300x25 405x15 405x12 495x10
    Lying Hamstring curl 150x12 150x12 160x10 170x5 100x12 (the dropset burned like hell)
    Leg Extensions 130x15 145x15 160x15 175x15 190x15 190x15

I had that same guy that gave me the singles progression for deadlifts help me with my squats a bit. It would seem I need to back off the weight and work on my depth again. I definitely go deep enough from a bb standpoint, but in terms of powerlifting I'm having trouble getting into the hole due to my height.

On the plus side, I was cleaning out my dresser and I found some new shoes to wear for legs- I used to be a competitive paintball player and I had some indoor soccer shoes that I bought to wear on turf but never really used because they didn't grip the way I wanted them to (that stuff gets slippery with all the paint on it). They're practically brand new and the have a really nice flat sole and fit my feet nice and tight, which is awesome because I can't really wear chuck taylors. I'd been wearing my zigs lately and the thick soles were messing me up, but I definitely felt an improved level of control tonight.

Those widowmaker squats at the end were nice and deep and they really killed me. I might make my entire squat workout next week be like a 3x5 or 5x5 at 315 and then do a couple sets of widowmakers to really work on my depth. That 425 felt really good, even if it was a tad on the shallow side.

Definitely noticing a difference with the ancient strength at this point. Recovery is better and my workouts are more intense. I might add in a post workout dose starting tomorrow and see if it makes an even bigger improvement. I will say this much- with the results I've gotten thus far, I'll definitely be recommending this creatine to all my friends and clients, and will buy more bottles for myself. I think that it would be especially appealing to the ladies, as from what I've seen I really haven't had any water retention.

One other thing of note- I switched from whey to beef protein post workout for the last week or so. I know it's a little less bioavailable, but the amino acid blend it provides seems more ideal for building solid muscle. I'm using Dymatize Primal because it's more affordable than some other products on the market and provides 27g of protein per scoop. To boost absorption I'm taking it with a scoop of ON glyco-maize. I would definitely use a beef protein by NTBM if they made one *wink wink nudge nudge*
    Nice update man! Solid lift too! My roommate uses the same beef protein because he has a gluten intolerance....he said it tastes like $hit lol

8. Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkHalf View Post
    Nice update man! Solid lift too! My roommate uses the same beef protein because he has a gluten intolerance....he said it tastes like $hit lol
    I haven't had it by itself yet, but with the glyco-maize it's not bad. I actually kind of like it- I use the blue rasberry.

9. I've never used beef protein myself, but it does sound nasty I must say.
    Recoverbro Elite

10. Quote Originally Posted by RickRock13 View Post
    I've never used beef protein myself, but it does sound nasty I must say.
    I didn't like the sound of it at first, but I tried one of musclemeds' carnivore shots and I liked it, and I've gotta say the taste of the Primal is pretty good. It's somewhat similar to like the blue rasberry Dark Matter by MHP without the waxymaize cottonmouth.

My shoulders are FRIED from tonight's workout:

DB Shoulder press
    Arnold Press
    DB lateral raises
    DB rear delt raises
    DB supinating front raises
    DB shrugs

For the shrugs, I did something at the suggestion of my buddy- quick reps and dropsets. Basically, I started at the 100's. Hit them as many times as I could, then went to the 75's, did them to failure, then the 50's, then the 40's, then the 30's. My traps are BURNT out. I've never done such a fast dropset before, but it was epic.

•   

11. Man I remember how bad that burn was the last time I did drop sets on shrugs. It was hard to hold my arm up after it and it burned a good while and I had big DOMS the next day...good stuff to throw in there every once in a while though
    Recoverbro Elite
  12. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Things are looking good in here, man. That's a great leg workout.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | Inspire to Evolve
    AnabolicMinds Rep

13. Sounds like the Ancient Strength is really kickin' it up a notch.
    NeedToBuildMuscle Representative / PowerChews Representative
    AgeForce Representative - www.ageforce.com for hGH Patches!
    Send me a PM with any questions about products & discount codes

14. Okay, this weekend is gonna be killer. I'm destroying my food, and I'm about to hit some Ancient Strength and go to the gym. I'm at a fitness business conference and I just missed winning a TRX by 5 rows on the 40/40 challenge. I want to buy one now.

Anyway, gonna do back and bis tonight, then they're doing some workout thing at 7am tomorrow, and I'll go to the gym again late tomorrow night. This is going to be a tough weekend. I'm confident that Ancient Strength can keep up though.

15. Does look busy....hopefully the Ancient Strength will help you push through
    Recoverbro Elite

16. Well, just got back from a trip to the gym. Lovin the 24 hour Gold's here. Originally the plan was to do some serious lifting tonight, but at the Europa show today I found out that there will be an amateur strongman competition tomorrow. It's basically 4 events: Atlas Stones (passing over a bar, not stacking on boxes, as many times as possible in prescribed time), Farmer's Walk/ Drum Carry, Truck pull, and tire flips/ drags. It's $25 per event or $65 for all 4, and the best times win a pot of the entry. I'll be a heavyweight by their standards, so I'd be flipping a 550 lb tire and the atlas stone will be in the 160-180 range. I'm really excited because I have all my equipment up here with me- belt, chalk, climbing shoes, etc. I'm going to test my footwear on the expo floor tomorrow to determine whether my climbing shoes or indoor soccer shoes will work better for certain events- I already know that the zigs slip like no other on the smooth concrete.

Since I'm going to compete, I didn't really do a full workout tonight. I hit my ancient strength before I went anyway along with a mix of carbs and aminos, then did a mile on the elliptical and a bunch of stretching. Did some light ab work just to maintain the tightness, and a few steep incline DB presses with 55's to make sure my shoulders would be alright for the Atlas Stone. I've never done anything like that before, so before I pass out I'm going to watch some videos on technique. I know for sure I'll be able to clean up on the tire flips- the 550 feels really light compared to the one we have at my gym. To top it all off, I even have my bottle of Tork in my gym bag.

Hopefully I'll do well enough in at least one event to get SOME of my money back, but at the very least I'll get a t-shirt out of it. Gonna use some of the supplement samples I'll get throughout the competition to make sure I'm on top of my game- lots of BCAA's, electrolytes, carbs, etc. Hopefully my hips will be loose enough- they've been kind of funky ever since squats on tuesday, and have seen plenty of abuse since then. Between the stretching and powerplate squats tonight they feel pretty good right now though.

17. Good luck in the competition!

18. GL bro! Kill it!
    NeedToBuildMuscle Representative / PowerChews Representative
    AgeForce Representative - www.ageforce.com for hGH Patches!
    Send me a PM with any questions about products & discount codes

19. That competition sounds pretty awesome man. I wish you luck and hope you do well!!
    Recoverbro Elite

20. Keep up the good work man.

Love the sig lol

21. Hey guys,

I typed up an epic post regarding the strongman competition last night, but I passed out before posting it, and my server had timed out this morning and I lost the whole post when I tried to put it up.

Anyway, I didn't win.

All distances were 120 feet.

Did barrel/farmer walk medley first. 5 90 lb barrels down to the end one at a time, then 205 lbs each hand on the final trip back. I gassed myself out sprinting with the first barrel, and they made me stop about halfway with the farmer's implements because they thought I was going to hurt myself (had to catch a breather and I guess I took too long).

Did tire flips/ drag medley next. Tire was 500 lbs, not 550 like I posted earlier. It was a lot shorter than the one we have at my gym, so I lost about 15 seconds at the beginning because I was trying to drive through it, but it had to be sumo deadlifted. I caught a rhythm though and flew down with it. The drag back was with a 300 lb tire, and it was difficult because I started out trying to go backwards, then tried over the shoulder with the rope. They finally told me I could put the looped rope around me, and once I did that I got it on my hips and started bearcrawling. Doing that was perfect- I got into the mentality I learned playing football in high school- six inches at a time. If I looked up to the cones I lost my drive, but staring at the ground I was able to force it out and keep moving. When I got to the end, I collapsed and didn't get up for a few minutes because my legs were so locked up. I had the second fastest heavyweight time on that event, and even though I was a minute behind the winner, I'm convinced if I had used proper technique at the beginning and bear crawled the whole way I could have beaten him.

Truck pull was fun, I put up a respectable 52 second time, the best was 39.

I did the 170 lb atlas stone last. My hip was acting up and my technique was no good, so I only got 4 or 5 reps and called it quits before time was up. I decided since there was no way I was going to come close to the 15 I needed to win, it was better to cut my losses than to hurt myself.

All that to say, I love strongman. I definitely want to do more competitions. Also, with everything I learned this weekend, I'm going to rework my training methods to include more functional training and cardio, because I feel that will improve my overall athleticism.

22. Win or lose....nice job in the competition Bro!! Thats a hell of an accomplishment. A lot better than I could do for sure.
    Recoverbro Elite

23. Quote Originally Posted by RickRock13 View Post
    Win or lose....nice job in the competition Bro!! Thats a hell of an accomplishment. A lot better than I could do for sure.
    I highly recommend that if you (or anyone reading this) ever get the opportunity to enter an amateur competition like that, you do it! It's a ton of fun, no matter how well you place.

Also, I got a t-shirt. Got to pick the slogan on the back out of three they had available for screen printing, so I went with "If you have tears, prepare to shed them now"

24. Hit chest and tris hard tonight. Had a final exam this morning and so I was up late studying, and I definitely think the lack of sleep affected my strength. Ancient Strength definitely put me back on par with where I wanted to be though.

Flat bench 125x10 185x8 225x5 245x3 275x1 295x0 (had to use my spotter) 225x10 Burnout sets: 225x10 225x10---Flex while spotter removes plates and aim for double number of reps at 225--->135x12 long rest 135x30 (alternating pulse and full reps) 135x25 (alternating again)
    DB press 80x8 80x3 80x5 80x6 80x5
    Cable Decline Flyes 30x12x4
    Rope Tricep Pushdowns- don't remember reps but I burned myself out- also messed around with single arm d-handle pushdowns.

I'm toasted. Gonna go lighter and functional with legs tomorrow because my hip is still bugging me.

I know this is a NTBM product log, but I also have to give props to another company's product today. I took two black cats (AppNut) this morning when I woke up to be ready for my exam, and my focus was off the chain. I was able to remember stuff that I learned waaay earlier in the semester with ease.

25. cool stuff on the comp.I hope to do one,one day .

Quote Originally Posted by DYEGYE View Post
    Hit chest and tris hard tonight. Had a final exam this morning and so I was up late studying, and I definitely think the lack of sleep affected my strength. Ancient Strength definitely put me back on par with where I wanted to be though.

Flat bench 125x10 185x8 225x5 245x3 275x1 295x0 (had to use my spotter) 225x10 Burnout sets: 225x10 225x10---Flex while spotter removes plates and aim for double number of reps at 225--->135x12 long rest 135x30 (alternating pulse and full reps) 135x25 (alternating again)
    DB press 80x8 80x3 80x5 80x6 80x5
    Cable Decline Flyes 30x12x4
    Rope Tricep Pushdowns- don't remember reps but I burned myself out- also messed around with single arm d-handle pushdowns.

I'm toasted. Gonna go lighter and functional with legs tomorrow because my hip is still bugging me.

I know this is a NTBM product log, but I also have to give props to another company's product today. I took two black cats (AppNut) this morning when I woke up to be ready for my exam, and my focus was off the chain. I was able to remember stuff that I learned waaay earlier in the semester with ease.
    I agree black cats are great stuff.sucks about the hip hope its ok with time

26. Took my ancient strength a few minutes ago. Have legs tonight, going to kill it! Going for a volume workout vs. going heavy like normal since my hip is still bothering me. The change could be good, but also bad in the sense that I might not be walking tomorrow. Might even hit some supersets.

27. I love the slogan you picked for the tshirt....nice!!

Kill them legs with supersets FTW!!
    Recoverbro Elite

28. Alright guys, here's how legs went. Didn't end up doing any supersets, just went with pure volume. Legs feel good right now, which is usually a bad sign for me because it always means one of two things: 1) I didn't hit them hard enough, or 2) I am going to hate my life for the next few days.

Squats (as deep as I could possibly go) 135x20 185x20 225x20
    Leg Press (seat all the way up) 486x20x3
    Calf Press on Leg Press Machine 486x100 (did sets of 20 or 30 until I hit 100)
    Lying Hamstring Curl 100x20x3
    Leg Extension 130x20 145x20 160x20 175x20 190x20

It was a really good workout for me. Hammies got so pumped after the second set of curls I had to wait at least a good 5 minutes before I could start up again. I'm about to pop another dose of Ancient Strength (I like to take a second dose of creatine before bed sometimes), skype my lady, and go to bed. Tomorrow will be either back+bis or shoulders depending on how I'm feeling. My chest is pretty sore from yesterday still.

29. Quote Originally Posted by RickRock13 View Post
    I love the slogan you picked for the tshirt....nice!!
    I only remember one of the other two- "It is as easy for a strong man to be strong, as it is for a weak man to be weak"

30. keep it up bro

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-04-2011, 09:26 PM
  2. Brutal Alchemy Ancient Strength?
    By MacWanted in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-17-2011, 10:36 PM