Butterscotch Better Protein Bars

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thank you to Needto for letting me try these out. I have to admit, I saw the thread for protein bars and jumped in w/o having looked at the profile. So that being said, I was totally suprised that a bag of mix providing 12 bar servings (once mixed) showed up in the mail. I was impressed! I Love the idea of a no preservative bar, no HFCS, no artificial-ness which plagues pretty much any other (premade) bar you pick up at the store & the 'thriftiness' of the zip bag/labeling.
I'm more of 'single serving' kind of guy so I shook the bag and just made 1 at a time...adding in as suggested, Peanut butter, honey & water....so I used about 1/2 to 3/4 cup mix, 1 TBS PB & light drizzling of honey & water (I'm slightly watching the cals, so didn't want to 'over indulge'). put in the fridge, ate the next day...very filling, satisfying...the flavor, if blindfolded and told to guess, I prolly wouldn't say it was 'butterscotch'...not a bad flavor by any means, but I can really taste the wheat germ/PB more than any thing & I really like the cranberry/raisin addition
My next 'bar mix', I'm going to leave out the honey and add a packet of Splenda & see if that enhances the butterscotch flavor at all...but all in all, these are great bars and nicely priced too. Nice work NtBm! :food:

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks for the review buddy.

i love the better protein bars, so good.

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
Try using Agave nectar in place of the honey. Has a lighter taste. Super sweet though so cut back on the amount.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Try using Agave nectar in place of the honey. Has a lighter taste. Super sweet though so cut back on the amount.
Will have to pick some more Agave up and try it...we had some but for some reason sprouted some mold or something floating on top, weird...have a bag of Sukranot (sp?), although that's not a liquid...

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
thanks for the review buddy.

i love the better protein bars, so good.
Nooo prob! I noticed on the bag it states to check out the website for more recipes...will have to check that out....

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Yet to try these, cannot wait though

UNCLE COOL

UNCLE COOL

Awards
I love these things, NEED2 has 5 flavors. U can do so much with as far as adding stuff. There is also a berry less, nut less so if U dont like nut or berries there U go. There is no limit to the creativity with these. The best part is no preservatives.

SBT

SBT

Awards
I have always loved the Better protein bars, but these new flavors REALLY take the cake!! :)

needtogetmuscle

needtogetmuscle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
my bro.. THe flavoring is all natural organic butterscotch powder and only a little is needed to make the whole batch of bars. So its very likely that in the way you were doing it you got non of the flavor at all. Had you mixed up the whole batch like you should and mixed it up together then yes you would deff get the flavor..

Now I am betting sooner or later one of the single bars you make for your self is going to have the most massive butterscotch taste it will be like a butterscotch sledge hammer to the face when it happens lolol..

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
my bro.. THe flavoring is all natural organic butterscotch powder and only a little is needed to make the whole batch of bars. So its very likely that in the way you were doing it you got non of the flavor at all. Had you mixed up the whole batch like you should and mixed it up together then yes you would deff get the flavor..

Now I am betting sooner or later one of the single bars you make for your self is going to have the most massive butterscotch taste it will be like a butterscotch sledge hammer to the face when it happens lolol..
Ah well, sure...if one were going to go the 'prepare and use as directed' route ;) then, ya they prolly would have ended up with a more distributed taste...I did/do however shake the bag to redistribute everything 'better'...ideal, no...would I do this method again with a fresh bag? prolly not...but that's my :stupid: bad

needtogetmuscle

needtogetmuscle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ah well, sure...if one were going to go the 'prepare and use as directed' route ;) then, ya they prolly would have ended up with a more distributed taste...I did/do however shake the bag to redistribute everything 'better'...ideal, no...would I do this method again with a fresh bag? prolly not...but that's my :stupid: bad
Its all good bro. Long as you liked them my man

BlondBombshel

BlondBombshel

Awards
I take the cranberries and raisins out, to cut some of the carbs out in the butterscotch ones.

I uses 1/4 cup agave and the rest water and almond butter instead of PB.

They are so good frozen!

SBT

SBT

Awards

hahaha!! that last line SOOO made me think of when we were making the test batches of these bad boys!! :D

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love these things, NEED2 has 5 flavors. U can do so much with as far as adding stuff. There is also a berry less, nut less so if U dont like nut or berries there U go. There is no limit to the creativity with these. The best part is no preservatives.
Agreed. I've yet to hear from 1 person that didn't like these bars. :food:

SouthernLord

SouthernLord

Awards
I wanna try this flavor out.

Has anyone tried substituting sugar free butterscotch syrup in place of the honey?

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I wanna try this flavor out.

Has anyone tried substituting sugar free butterscotch syrup in place of the honey?
I mentioned this in another thread....you lose a lot of consistency when you get rid of the honey. You can add guar gum to thicken the batter/mixture up if you use the SF syrup. It's pretty cheap and I get mine from NOW. It's used in a lot of gluten free recipes as a thickening agent.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Just me another batch, love dis shiz

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm gonna have to try the butterscotch, after the chocolate raspberry and banana that is!

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm gonna have to try the butterscotch, after the chocolate raspberry and banana that is!
I want to get around to trying all the flavors eventually :)

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I want to get around to trying all the flavors eventually :)
Not only that, but once you've tried them all then you get to adjust the recipes! I got a good tip about mixing in N2Mix in the bars and wow, mind = blown. The whey iso crisps and nuts would add an awesome texture to the bars, not to mention protein!

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not only that, but once you've tried them all then you get to adjust the recipes! I got a good tip about mixing in N2Mix in the bars and wow, mind = blown. The whey iso crisps and nuts would add an awesome texture to the bars, not to mention protein!
I never thought of that!! Share that recipe with us Milas... I have a bunch of N2Mix at home :D

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I never thought of that!! Share that recipe with us Milas... I have a bunch of N2Mix at home :D
Ill second that!! Never thought of that, but its a good idea!!

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Uhhhh.... I'm guessing you just mix 'em in? Dunno, haven't tried it! :D

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Uhhhh.... I'm guessing you just mix 'em in? Dunno, haven't tried it! :D

I was under the impression you had...lol. Good idea though!!

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
Im thinking about mixing a batch of choc rasp and butterscotch....Thinkin it would work out well

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im thinking about mixing a batch of choc rasp and butterscotch....Thinkin it would work out well
Let us know about that one if you do...

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mixing flavors? Hmmmm....

I'm thinking more about just adding in different flavored protein. I've got some Cinnabun that I think could go well in a few things...

I guess you could even just use flavor extracts from the grocery store too. May take some experimenting though to get the right taste.

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Right on Milas... I'm gonna add my DELICIOUS cinnamon bun WPI to the Sour Apple BPB... Now tell me that don't sound delish???

Sour Apple & Cinnamon BPB :food:

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That does sound good, like warm apple pie...

Don't get all American Pie on us now... ;)

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Right on Milas... I'm gonna add my DELICIOUS cinnamon bun WPI to the Sour Apple BPB... Now tell me that don't sound delish???

Sour Apple & Cinnamon BPB :food:
I'm going to replace this great idea with my bad maple syrup idea...lol

Sounds delish Beast!!:yumyum:

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm just day dreaming about the apple protein bars with the PowerButter. It is my FAVORITE snack to have an apple with peanut butter. Now I can have a protein bar that fills that need? SOLD!

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Milas I'm gonna make some of the Apple bars soon and I'm gonna mix in maybe a half scoop of Cinna Bun whey... How does that sound?

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
NOM NOM NOM NOM!!!

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Milas I'm gonna make some of the Apple bars soon and I'm gonna mix in maybe a half scoop of Cinna Bun whey... How does that sound?
Damn that does sound good!

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Turned out great man. Just sprinkled some in there and you can taste it, prolly a half a scoop

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Turned out great man. Just sprinkled some in there and you can taste it, prolly a half a scoop
Did you add any extra water beyond the 1/4 cup?

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did you add any extra water beyond the 1/4 cup?
Yeah a little... I added the 1/4 cup, then just a tad more. So not much really. But I also didn't even add much protein powder. Just enough for taste, wasn't trying to get the protein on the bars higher or nothing.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah a little... I added the 1/4 cup, then just a tad more. So not much really. But I also didn't even add much protein powder. Just enough for taste, wasn't trying to get the protein on the bars higher or nothing.
Yeh as little as you added wouldn't be a big deal in changing consistency. Im going to try them out prepared normal first since I haven't had them yet, but I'm keeping this idea for the future ;

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
That's the one thing you have to bear in mind when you're looking to up the cal count of the bars. You actually have to add a lot (whether it be oats, PB, whey, etc) in order to get the macros up per bar.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think I'm going to split my batch and try it a few ways...

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's the one thing you have to bear in mind when you're looking to up the cal count of the bars. You actually have to add a lot (whether it be oats, PB, whey, etc) in order to get the macros up per bar.
Def bro. Mine are fine at 400 cals a bar right now anyhow. Not bulking, so these are plenty for me! Love em!