Minor Rotator Cuff Injury

hr4surf

hr4surf

Awards
So lately I've been feeling a minor pain in my left shoulder and I'm pretty positive that I've been stressing my rotator cuff out too much. To make a long story short, what would you guys recommend I do? Should I do rotator cuff exercises and continue lifting or should I just take a break (if so, for how long)?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Usually the external rotators (the humerus turning away from the body) are much less trained and or weaker than internal.
A few things...
- Lying L-Flyes are good.(very light weight higher reps)
-Trigger points in the upper arms, traps shoulders
-Lighter or pressing that does not aggravate it. (Most likely flat BP's and or dips are a bit tougher on the cuff muscles)
-Take some time to train legs and or hips with more focus while it recovers

David147

Awards
Before any injury to the rotator cuff can be explained, the functions of the rotator cuff must be detailed first. A rotator cuff tear in the shoulder is a common injury. Because the shoulder is used constantly in many activities that require effort in pulling, pushing and lifting motions, it is very possible to cause a tear in the rotator cuff.

A rotator cuff tear basically means one of the rotator cuff tendons has been injured. The rotator cuff tear's appearance usually varies in shape and size. However, it is usually associated with a hole in one of the rotator cuff tendons. This tear or hole is usually attributed to one of two things. It is caused by a traumatic injury or repetitive use injury.