back problem. To continue or not.

SeanDublin

Awards
Two days ago I attended a music festival, and over the course of 8 hours, had numerous people on my shoulders, and when certain songs dropped I jumped with them on me, I felt perfectly fine doing so at the time, but woke up yesterday with really really bad back pain, it subsides after I walk around but comes back when I stop or sit down, my question is, should I continue to go the gym and work through it or is this a bad idea? I'm twenty.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Your doctor is the first person to ask about this as opposed to us but I would suggest not eliminating going to the gym entirely, just avoid going heavy on lifts that stress the problem area for now.

You may need some deload time then slowly add in light back work if it doesn't stress you, losing the strength you do have in those muscles will only make it worse.

Little things can sometimes help as well, try to keep correct posture through the day, strengthen the core muscles, and always try to lift with your legs until you've recovered

SeanDublin

Awards
I have no doctor and have never been. It's way to expensive were I live I just can't afford it,
I hit the gym today and did leg press, squat's, chest and calfs on the calf machine and everything was ok but calf machine killed my back, I did medium weight on everything and I was ok but when I walk, sit down , stand up its really painfull I don't understand why normal everyday tasks hurt so much but squat's didn't bother me etc, my usual back day is tomorrow I was thinkin of just going light like you said man.

jvu9109

jvu9109

Awards
First of all you should apply ice about 3 times a day for 10-20 min each session. Take at least a week off from the gym becuase evry exercise movement requires lower back as a stabilizer. Try consuming foods that have natural anti-inflammatory properties i.e. kale, blueberries, saltwater fish...etc. Lastly I recommend self-myofascial release therapy which is basically foam-rolling. Search up what foam rolling is and videos on how to do it properly. Foam roll especially the glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors, and lower lats. Trust me on this. If you find that this issue is chronic and worsens, consult with a doctor. This is just my suggestion.

SeanDublin

Awards
Thank you very much, my back is not to bad now, I now have a fracture in my shin or splint so I haven't been able to do legs

wicked442

wicked442

Board Sponsor
Awards
Thank you very much, my back is not to bad now, I now have a fracture in my shin or splint so I haven't been able to do legs
Man there is a big dif between shin splints and a fracture. Never broke my leg but i think i would know. Maybe go to dr?

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
you probably shouldn't jump with fat chicks on yo back :blink:

anyhow ice/ibuprophen/joint help/fish oil/rest

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
yea go to a doctor, get it checked out first. you can add Fishoil and Joint help to your supplement regime and that should help some. Also, get plenty of rest and maybe a massage or 2

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
First of all you should apply ice about 3 times a day for 10-20 min each session. Take at least a week off from the gym becuase evry exercise movement requires lower back as a stabilizer. Try consuming foods that have natural anti-inflammatory properties i.e. kale, blueberries, saltwater fish...etc. Lastly I recommend self-myofascial release therapy which is basically foam-rolling. Search up what foam rolling is and videos on how to do it properly. Foam roll especially the glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors, and lower lats. Trust me on this. If you find that this issue is chronic and worsens, consult with a doctor. This is just my suggestion.
I agree with this! The only thing is dont foam roll your whole back at once, do one side at a time. Food and water like crazy, and even a epsom salt bath would help. Would add some Joint Help and Fish Oil. But I am a huge beleiver in the foam roller! makes a big difference in everything you do, especially with an injury.

Good Luck

Aaron330

Aaron330

Awards
ALWAYS a bad idea to work out through back pain bro, it will only make it worse. Not worth it. Give your back at least a week's rest, and work out arms+chest in the meantime. It's hard to get your mind to accept that past that you won't "Looze all ur gainz bro!!". But its the truth. You'll risk nothing and save everything by giving it a week. Also if the problem persists, def go see a doctor.

SeanDublin

Awards
Thanks for all the messages, my back has recovered but now I have a splinted shin and can't work leg's, I cycle a lot to compensate, it hurts during leg workouts but not cycling strange, I guess minor injury's are part of the game. :)

Jackriddle

Awards
You should check your back first and then if Dr. give permission then you can try some exercises.

pionutbz

Awards
Suggested as a rest period, you can use Rhodiola for muscle problems

slayer01994

slayer01994

Awards
Rest it! Your only 20. A couple weeks off for rest will be good and then come back hard when its recovered. U can prolly do some arm work but just don't do back or deadlift or squat.