Squat Problems!

hr4surf

hr4surf

Awards
I have been lifting for around 7 months and I have always had an issue when doing heavy squats. My collarbones are very high and prominent and whenever I set the weight on the top of my back, it always puts a lot of pressure on the points of my collarbones, causing a decent bit of pain which bothers me and causes me to adjust during my squat and have a loss of good form. Is there any way I could avoid this issue? I've been thinking about putting a towel over my shoulders and was wondering if this would help. All advice and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ive used a squat bar for ages

joethehammer

Awards
No towels

I was told long ago build bigger traps... More cushion.... Just have to deal with it
There are two places.....low placement and high placement... I put it high with wide stance and wide grip
Be patient find your comfort zone you will get it!!!

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
you should be squeezing your shoulder blades together to flex your traps. and the bar should rest on your traps, not your collar bone or neck

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
Set the bar lower on your back, the weight should sit at eh base of your rear delts...this is where powerlifters have the bar. You have to bend forward a little as you squat but as long as your hips open up youll be fine. High bar squatting is fine if you keep the weight relatively low, but there will be a point when the weight will begin to dig into your neck and cause discomfort. change bar position.

David147

Awards
You might have bad knees or have a bad form, don't hurt them.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Front squats?

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
I would recommend low bar squats and front squats (they are uncomfortable at first but the coach can show you how). Basically the bar should not be sitting on any bone when you are squatting.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Old thread, I think he's probably better at squatting now.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you feel like you've mastered proper squat form you can also try different variations to mix it up. Goblet squats, front squats, Zercher squats. All are good variations. Wrapping a towel or foam pad can help sometimes but start light and get used to the balance. It makes heavy squatting a little more dangerous.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established