Putting on muscle

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's a very broad question. What's your experience and knowledge?

carlj86

Awards
I've got no experience in weight lifting I wanna start but don't know the best way to. Thanks for your reply much appreciated.

carlj86

Awards
I don't want to go massive just wanna tone my belly and arms a bit.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Get 'toning' out of your head and replace that with 'lean'

Calculate your TDEE using an online calculator. That will show your maitenance caloric intake. Add 250+ calories onto that to gain weight or subtract from it to lose weight. Eat approx 1g protein per lb of body weight, .5g per lb for fat, and the rest fill with crabs tailored around your activity level. You may have to bump up/lower fats/carbs depending on your individual needs. Eat lean meats, whole grains, and healthy fats. Count your calories for a while until you're used to it.

Jump on a proven training program. Something good for beginners would be Wendlers 5/3/1 or WSB4SB. Check out www.simplyshredded.com or search the forum or await input from other members. Utilize compound movements (Standing overhead press, deadlift, squat, bench press- and variations of each) Don't think that certain exercises are goin to make you more tone while others will make you massive. That all comes down to your diet.

Stop boozin, stop smokin, stop dippin. Get plenty of rest.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Get 'toning' out of your head and replace that with 'lean'

Calculate your TDEE using an online calculator. That will show your maitenance caloric intake. Add 250+ calories onto that to gain weight or subtract from it to lose weight. Eat approx 1g protein per lb of body weight, .5g per lb for fat, and the rest fill with crabs tailored around your activity level. You may have to bump up/lower fats/carbs depending on your individual needs. Eat lean meats, whole grains, and healthy fats. Count your calories for a while until you're used to it.

Jump on a proven training program. Something good for beginners would be Wendlers 5/3/1 or WSB4SB. Check out www.simplyshredded.com or search the forum or await input from other members. Utilize compound movements (Standing overhead press, deadlift, squat, bench press- and variations of each) Don't think that certain exercises are goin to make you more tone while others will make you massive. That all comes down to your diet.

Stop boozin, stop smokin, stop dippin. Get plenty of rest.
Do you like 5/3/1 for size? Just curious .

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like 5/3/1 for size yes. I started my log weighing around 200. I'm 215-217 now.
Very nice I'm gonna check it out. I thought it was a power lifting thing until I saw it uses auxiliary lifts as well.