Need advice on bulking

GetSwole95

Awards
Im currently 5"11 at 186 lbs and my goal is about 195 lbs.
i train about 4 days a week
I do :
chest and tris,
back and biceps,
delts and traps
then on my fourth day i usually work on what i feel im lacking.
I also work on abs 3 times a week
Im not doing legs because i play competitive hockey 3 times a week so i dont believe its necessary to train them more.
My supplement stack:
Pre-workout
Creatine
Whey protein
Mass gainer

I am also taking in about 2500 cals a day.
Getting around 180g of protein and 350g of carbs
I was wondering if theres some exercises i should absolutely be doing, supplements i should add, eat more, cut down on something, or just get some basic advice.
Thanks

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Train your legs. Train your legs. Train your ****ing legs!

The fact that you are an athlete is all the more reason why you should train your legs. If I had to choose one body part to train the rest of my life, it'd be legs.

You'll be a more well built, well rounded, stronger, faster athlete if you train your legs. If you say "well I'm sore from leg day" then keep training legs and you'll be used to it.

You build a house from the ground up.

Eat 1g/lb of body weight of protein, .5g/lb for fat, and the rest with carbs. Eat lean and red meats, whole grains, and healthy fats (oils, nuts, ect) Count, measure, and weigh your meals. Since you're an athlete, carbs will be your friend-and so will leg day.

Whey protein and creatine would be a good start.

After of course you train your legs. Youre an absolute fool not to.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html check this out. A proven strength training program for athletes.

GetSwole95

Awards
Haha thanks, i guess i could make my fourth day a leg day.
A main reason why i have not really wanted to do legs is because u was also gifted with big legs so i didnt really feel a need to work on them.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
increase your cals if you wanna bulk and use core compounds

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Focus on compound lifts. Squat. Power clean. Bench press. Dead lifts. And train your legs as much as you train other parts of your body.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Focus on compound lifts. Squat. Power clean. Bench press. Dead lifts. And train your legs as much as you train other parts of your body.
Yes to all but the power clean.

Unless you have a good coach who can teach you the proper technique required to do Olympic lifts I would not recommend you begin them.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha thanks, i guess i could make my fourth day a leg day.
A main reason why i have not really wanted to do legs is because u was also gifted with big legs so i didnt really feel a need to work on them.
You shouldn't even be programming your own routine, I can guarantee you aren't advanced enough to do that and will only end up hurting yourself in the long run.

The link that Sean provided is one of the better templates for athletes, I would recommend doing it as written.

Actually, just do everything Sean said.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do credit Rodja for that link. I wish I had done that when I was beginning

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do credit Rodja for that link. I wish I had done that when I was beginning
I have that one bookmarked for threads like this.

I did it with great success when I was 16-17 when I player Football and later as an MMA fighter. My diet wasn't where it needed to be to gain weight, considering my activity level and genetic predisposition, but the gains as far as athleticism and strength were concerned were phenomenal.

I went back to it just a few months ago after a JRTC rotation and it was amazing how quickly I as able to get back where I was before that 6 weeks out of the gym and even surpass myself.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh and OP- JimBuick is in the Army and runs stupid amounts and jumps out of airplanes and ****. He still trains legs.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Oh and OP- JimBuick is in the Army and runs stupid amounts and jumps out of airplanes and ****. He still trains legs.
i dont miss it, 10 mile jogs in full BDU'S and ruck.......

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
2500 caloires a day is NOTHING at your size and activity level. This needs to be more like 3800 a day, especially if you are playing hockey AND lifting....youll never gain weight on 2500 cals, thats like what fitness girls eat in a day.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do :
chest and tris,
back and biceps,
delts and traps
Im not doing legs because i play competitive hockey 3 times a week so i dont believe its necessary to train them more.
My supplement stack:
Pre-workout
Creatine
Whey protein
Mass gainer

I was wondering if theres some exercises i should absolutely be doing, supplements i should add, eat more, cut down on something, or just get some basic advice.
Thanks
increase calories ALOT more since you are playing hockey. even if you werent playing hockey you would need more calories. anywhere from 3000-4000. depends on the individual.

kp2012

Awards
I do :
chest and tris,
back and biceps,
delts and traps
My supplement stack:
Pre-workout
Creatine
Whey protein
Mass gainer

Thanks
Dude you need to train legs and up your cals, at your size 2500 is a deficit I would assume, given your activity levels. Also, don't bother with a mass gainer man just eat more food in my opinion

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
I do :
chest and tris,
back and biceps,
delts and traps
My supplement stack:
Pre-workout
Creatine
Whey protein
Mass gainer

Thanks
You some sort of puss c? Work your damn legs and eat like a man. Get rid of the sups until you learn to eat right and work all body parts.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Your taking a weight gainer and still only hitting 2500 cals a day? You can't be eating very much food then.

Eat big. Train your god damm legs. And get on a real program.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
a little dose of 5x5 would teach you how to train legs.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
believe it or not, squats and deadlifts will help you break plateaus on other lifts. you get an increase in hormones when you do those lifts.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
believe it or not, squats and deadlifts will help you break plateaus on other lifts. you get an increase in hormones when you do those lifts.
An increase that does nothing to increase LBM. Acute rises in GH, IGF-1, and testosterone will have little impact since they are not hormones that have an immediate effect. They must be chronically elevated in order to see their merits.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i was not referring to LBM. also, those are two separate points i was making.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i was not referring to LBM. also, those are two separate points i was making.
You missed the point that the overblown acute increase does not have the magical properties that many like to believe. They're not like insulin, which goes to work almost instantaneously.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You missed the point that the overblown acute increase does not have the magical properties that many like to believe. They're not like insulin, which goes to work almost instantaneously.
i wasnt claiming it does. but there is an increase. and when i do deads and squats heavy with great form, i see alot of my other lifts increase over time as well vs not doing deads/squats

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i wasnt claiming it does. but there is an increase in those. and when i do deads and squats heavy with great form, i see alot of my other lifts increase over time as well vs not doing deads/squats
Then why even bother to mention the inconsequential hormone aspect? That's a CNS issue and not a hormonal issue.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Then why even bother to mention the inconsequential hormone aspect? That's a CNS issue and not a hormonal issue.
i understand what you are saying, just thought id make the OP aware. This may sound dumb, but for me, if I know these movements increase HGH, test, I will want to do them more/heavier, even though studies have shown the increase in strength is minimal for other parts of the body/other lifts when combined with squats

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i understand what you are saying, just thought id make the OP aware. This may sound dumb, but for me, if I know these movements increase HGH, test, I will want to do them more/heavier, even though studies have shown the increase in strength is minimal for other parts of the body/other lifts when combined with squats
They will increase them for a short time in the acute sense and this increase also tapers. Most of the increases are only seen for a short time as the body does adapt to the stimulus.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They will increase them for a short time in the acute sense and this increase also tapers. Most of the increases are only seen for a short time as the body does adapt to the stimulus.
have you seen any studies on people doing 5x5 and the increase in hormones? all the studies i have found arent that great but all do point to the fact that the increase has a minimal effect. also, those who incorporate DL/Squats weekly are probably more dedicated in the gym and willing to work hard for gains. In my experiences, (unless somebody has knee issues/back issues...etc) people dont do these because they are taxing on the body and just skip them. I have also found that those lifts increase my appetite.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
have you seen any studies on people doing 5x5 and the increase in hormones? all the studies i have found arent that great but all do point to the fact that the increase has a minimal effect. also, those who incorporate DL/Squats weekly are probably more dedicated in the gym and willing to work hard for gains. In my experiences, (unless somebody has knee issues/back issues...etc) people dont do these because they are taxing on the body and just skip them. I have also found that those lifts increase my appetite.
Well, you're looking at a multitude of issues with this. The protocols used in the studies looking at acute rises tend to not be very long and the training is typically not fantastic and many times use untrained individuals. With something linear like 5x5, the rises seen will top out as the stimulus itself will flatten out due to a lack of real progression schemes within 5x5. The hunger increase is something that comes from the increase in nutrient repartitioning since they do activate nearly the entire body and is more taxing compared to a isolation lift. Regarding the dedication issue, that is always the X-factor and is something that cannot be quantitatively measured.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, you're looking at a multitude of issues with this. The protocols used in the studies looking at acute rises tend to not be very long and the training is typically not fantastic and many times use untrained individuals. With something linear like 5x5, the rises seen will top out as the stimulus itself will flatten out due to a lack of real progression schemes within 5x5. The hunger increase is something that comes from the increase in nutrient repartitioning since they do activate nearly the entire body and is more taxing compared to a isolation lift. Regarding the dedication issue, that is always the X-factor and is something that cannot be quantitatively measured.
yeah this was just a personal opinion.