Upper chest

S

songeboptv

Awards
Hey guys ... I've been working out for about 5 months and my chest is developing except for my upper chest specifically the inner area.... I do alot of flyes and incline press but still.. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

T

TaNkD Up

Awards
try flat and incline guillotine barbell press. If that doesn't work try 4x training which is a tempo regimen where basically you do the lowering portion of the lift for a full 4 seconds and explode up . 4-0-X-0 good luck!

Last edited:
hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
try basic upper chest movements: incline db's, incline flys, incline cable flys (personal fav) etc. dips wont typically target upper chest

S

songeboptv

Awards
The 4x training seems legit I might try that one out next time...

B

brettbroski

Awards
pectoralis major is one muscle. I understand were your coming from everyone wants a look that displays an impressive top portion
of the muscle but your upper chest is not gonna get bigger unless your "lower chest" gets bigger as well.

S

songeboptv

Awards
Ya but any excercises or way to emphasize the upper/ especially inner chest other than incline press

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
The upper chest development is "somewhat" genetic, not sayin you can't counteract that and make changes. COntinue to focus on Incline movements. Try Incline BB and Smith Bench Press to the upper chest/clavicle area (Guillatine Presses as one poster recommended). Also try Reverse Grip Bench Press as they have EKG studies showing a high threshold of upper chest fibers being targetd. For inner chest, make sure your grip is not too wide. A narrower grip will target the inner fibers a bit more because of the increased stretch. Another technique you can use is to do some Pec Dec Flys where you do 7-10 reps in the outter 1/3 of the motion, another 7-10 in the inner 1/3 of the motion (targetting inner chest) and finishing with 7-10 reps in the middle 1/3 ROM.

Lastly, research Eric Brosers Fiber Damage/Fiber Saturation program. I did this during one of my preps only for chest because my chest is a weak area and I got significant gains while dieting. Basically the program starts witha negative emphasis move, a stretch emphasis move, and finishes with a muscle saturation/occlusion move. For example:

Inc BB Bench (4-6 second negative) - 3 X 3-4 Reps + 2 Forced Reps
Low Inc DB Bench (2 sec negative) - 3-4 X 4-6 Reps
Inc DB Fly (Hold stretch position for 3-4 seconds) - 3 X 6-8 Reps
SS: Pec Dec Fly/Smith Bench Press or Mach Bench - 2-3 X 15-20 Each

pampers938

pampers938

Awards
I did chest and one of my fav chest exercises is at the end of my workout I do low to highs on a bosu ball and superset with push-ups off the bosu. Not might be a great exercise but at the end of my routine I love the burn

babjizzle

babjizzle

Awards
Pullovers would help, chin ups with your hands close together. I would also like to know what your incline press routine is for it can really make a difference.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did everyone ignore the fact that the OP has been training for a whopping 5 months?

T

TaNkD Up

Awards
Did everyone ignore the fact that the OP has been training for a whopping 5 months?
I saw it but hopefully the op understands lifting is a Marathon not a 40 yard dash. OP keep at it and you will grow good luck

S

songeboptv

Awards
Pullovers would help, chin ups with your hands close together. I would also like to know what your incline press routine is for it can really make a difference.
3 sets flat dumbell 10,8,5
5 sets incline dumbell 8,8,6,6,5
3 sets cable crossover 10,10,10
1 set dips to failure