Bulking Strategy Per Layne Norton

rockme

rockme

Awards
I was thinking about implementing Norton's bulking strategy of 1 gram protein/pound, 2.5 grams carb/pound, 0.3 grams fat/pound. I have never gone that high on carbs and am curious about the effect it could have for me. Anybody ever try it? Also, 1 gram/lb of bw for protein is low as heck. He must mean from animal based sources only, right? If it was combined from all foods then it would leave virtually nothing for actual animal based protein intake, as the protein from oats, rice, yams etc would probably meet 1/3 of this requirement right off the bat.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
he's always advocated lower (in our terms) protein.

I would do 1g from solid protein sources and not count the protein from carb/fat sources to hit your macros if you're that worried about it.

he has his doctorate in aminos and leucine I believe, so....he knows his sh*t

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Its probably just from actual protein sources. I.e. You wouldnt count the protein from almond butter in your totals for protein for the day.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
1g per lb of body weight isnt low ass heck at all. theres no evidence supporting the common misconception that we need 300+ grams of protein to maximise protein synthesis. in fact, the highest recomended for athletes is 2.5g per kg bodyweight. thats just over 1g/lb.

all that happens when you eat all that protein is it gets deaminated and used for energy, or stored as fat if you have a surplus in calories

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
He deff ment all sources of protein. He even counts aminos as protein.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I count protein from all sources including aminos and bulk leucine at 1g per bodyweight.

mazzaiii

Awards
I count all sources. I know a lot of guys that do 1g per lb of lean body mass. I do about 1.25 per lb. and about 1.5g of carbs. Sometimes more.

rockme

rockme

Awards
Very well then. I'm going to give it a whirl. Macros wil be: 435 g carbs from oatmeal, gatorade (post-workout only), yams, brown rice, broccoli; 175 g protein from egg white, chicken, tuna, 90/10 ground beef, cottage cheese; 55 g fat from everything listed and fish oil, almond butter. I will also count almond butter as a protein source...I was thinking though that this might not be too drastic from what I'm currently doing: 350/260/60. The thing is, I count protein from anything and everything I ingest. Now I will just be counting from animal sources and almonds.

rockme

rockme

Awards
Oh yeah, WPI (only post workout) will also be counted as a protein source. I will put up a diet by my design and you dudes let me what ya think

rockme

rockme

Awards
Meal 1: 1.5 cup old fashion oats, 1/2 cup egg white, 1 egg, 3 g fish oil. Meal 2: post workout 20 oz Gatorade and 1 banana, 3/4 scoop WPI. Meal 3: 12 oz yam, 1 cup broccoli, 4 oz beef 90/10. Meal 4: 1.5 cup brown rice, 1 cup broccoli, 3 oz chicken. Meal 5: 12 oz yam, 3 oz chicken, 2 g fish oil Meal 6: 1.5 cup brown rice, 3 oz chicken, 1 cup broccoli. Meal 7: 3/4 cup cottage cheese, 2 TB almond butter.
This all comes out to 3004 kcal, 433/198/55. Thoughts?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Condense your meals and aim for 2.5-3g leucine per meal as to spike protein synthesis. Layne does 4-5 meals a day I believe. However looks find, remember to count all protein from all sources.

rockme

rockme

Awards
Condense your meals and aim for 2.5-3g leucine per meal as to spike protein synthesis. Layne does 4-5 meals a day I believe. However looks find, remember to count all protein from all sources.
There's no way I could hit my macros over 4-5 meals. 6-7 is ideal for me.

mazzaiii

Awards
Yeah looks good. Just threw me with the lower protein but we don't weigh the same lol

How do the extra carbs feel? This bulk doesn't seem to extreme so that's good

mazzaiii

Awards
Yeah I read the test layne did on the leucine.. Pretty good interesting stuff

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There's no way I could hit my macros over 4-5 meals. 6-7 is ideal for me.
Gotcha, also layne eats over 1g per lb bw just bc he enjoys eating protein so dont feel bad to lower the carbs just a touch for more protein.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
Are you going to be keeping a log of this or updating how it's going in this thread. Very interested to see how others are using this. I had a friend do somethign similar during a short cut, but progress stalled simply b/c protein has a greater thermal effect than carbs. This is pretty cool stuff.

rockme

rockme

Awards
Are you going to be keeping a log of this or updating how it's going in this thread. Very interested to see how others are using this. I had a friend do somethign similar during a short cut, but progress stalled simply b/c protein has a greater thermal effect than carbs. This is pretty cool stuff.
That's a good idea. Although I'm still mulling over this plan. Right now my macros are 350/260/55, and I am getting excellent gains. So I don't know if I will deviate from this. Maybe up the carbs to 400, lower protein to 210.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
It's trully an individual thing. I LOVE meat, so it'd be hard for me to follow such a low protein plan and I tend to gain fat easily and get a little lethargic when my carbs are high. I know a lot of people though that thrive on higher carb diets. I've actually backed of on my protein and increased carbs a little myself, more along the lines of 1.25 g of protein/pound but my carbs are not nearly as high as yours, then again, my fats are higher as well.

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
1g per lb of body weight isnt low ass heck at all. theres no evidence supporting the common misconception that we need 300+ grams of protein to maximise protein synthesis. in fact, the highest recomended for athletes is 2.5g per kg bodyweight. thats just over 1g/lb.

all that happens when you eat all that protein is it gets deaminated and used for energy, or stored as fat if you have a surplus in calories
Protein getting stored as fat isn't going to happen almost ever

rockme

rockme

Awards
It's trully an individual thing. I LOVE meat, so it'd be hard for me to follow such a low protein plan and I tend to gain fat easily and get a little lethargic when my carbs are high. I know a lot of people though that thrive on higher carb diets. I've actually backed of on my protein and increased carbs a little myself, more along the lines of 1.25 g of protein/pound but my carbs are not nearly as high as yours, then again, my fats are higher as well.
Yeah. I have always been able to incinerate carbs...well, low glycemic ones anyway. When my fat intake starts getting high (>80 grams), I dont like how my physique responds. I may try this high carb plan. I devised a different meal plan that would allow me to stay under 200 g protein from anything and everything eaten. I will lay it out and may implement it when I start a powelifting template next week

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
That's cool bro. Please log it if you can. Lab results and results on a select few only show you so much. It's interesting and cool to see how diferent poeople respond to different protocols.