Rep ranges?

Aggie2012

Awards
I'm still in my offseason for about 8 more weeks. I want to grow but still be strong. What is a good rep range to increase strength but also grow?

chitown58

chitown58

Awards
Keep ur first exercise a heavy compound movement and keep ur reps real low, 3 to 5 reps, and around 6 or so sets...that triggers ur nervous system which gives u your real strength...like powerlifters. The rest of ur workout keep it all hypertrophy training, 8 to 12, or even 6 to 12 if u like going heavy. Hope this helps..

Aggie2012

Awards
Thanks man. Can you explain more about the 6 sets? Did you mean only do 6 sets for legs?

chitown58

chitown58

Awards
Only for compound exercises...like let's say bench press for example, ull start up with a few warmup sets so ur ready, then around ur last set u keep it heavy, so that u fail at around 3 to 5 reps...(def b careful with this tho, have sumone spot u!) Do ur set, then rest a min, then go on to the next set, keep going till u reach around 6 sets or so. There's a few diff ways to go about this too...and in powerlifting their rest is much longer than hypertrophy training (bodybuilding) but if ur really interested in all that u should do a lil research on it. Doing this should def build sum serious strength.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Only for compound exercises...like let's say bench press for example, ull start up with a few warmup sets so ur ready, then around ur last set u keep it heavy, so that u fail at around 3 to 5 reps...(def b careful with this tho, have sumone spot u!) Do ur set, then rest a min, then go on to the next set, keep going till u reach around 6 sets or so. There's a few diff ways to go about this too...and in powerlifting their rest is much longer than hypertrophy training (bodybuilding) but if ur really interested in all that u should do a lil research on it. Doing this should def build sum serious strength.
This is a recipe for overuse injuries. If you plan on training in that low of a rep range, then you'll need longer than a minute rest if you expect to make it through the sets. The whole idea of rest periods is something I have a major issue with as it implies that if you deviate from them, then the end result will different, which is absurd. Hypertrophy is not dictated by rest periods; it is dictated by overload, progression, TUT, and preiodization.

chitown58

chitown58

Awards
I never said hypertrophy was all bout rest periods dude...and I said there's diff ways to go about heavy training, and mentioned the longer rest...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I never said hypertrophy was all bout rest periods dude...and I said there's diff ways to go about heavy training, and mentioned the longer rest...
The longer rest periods are needed when training closer to a 1RM and your prescribed methods goes outside of Prilepin's chart. I hate to use the phrase overtraining in this scenario as it's not accurate, but his recovery and performance will suffer as a result of this.

chitown58

chitown58

Awards
His recovery will b fine, look up the rest-pause technique, another technique u go real heavy on while only getting 10 to 15 sec rest, u repeat that till u get bout 8 to 10 reps...anyways this is my advice to the guy, I would never tell sumone to do sumthing I haven't tried and applyd myself...strength is all bout the nervous system not so much the muscle...but yea, I'm not going to argue with anyone over this, u don't like it, then don't do it!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
His recovery will b fine, look up the rest-pause technique, another technique u go real heavy on while only getting 10 to 15 sec rest, u repeat that till u get bout 8 to 10 reps...anyways this is my advice to the guy, I would never tell sumone to do sumthing I haven't tried and applyd myself...strength is all bout the nervous system not so much the muscle...but yea, I'm not going to argue with anyone over this, u don't like it, then don't do it!
You don't need to explain the rest-pause method or the intricacies of the CNS and strength. I am very familiar with each of the role of the CNS, hence why I brought up Prilepin's chart.

What you described is not the rest-pause technique as that is generally one all-out set with 10-20s breaks instead of multiple sets.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
RP techniques are NOT what you are talking about. and if you are, you yourself need to do more research on DC training and RP