Chest wont grow!! Help!!

GoGetSwole

GoGetSwole

Awards
So I've been training nearly a year now steady, and on and off in the earlier years, I've gained 25-30 pounds in this partial year btw. I have a few lagging muscles to isolate but my chest hasn't grown in months. I've tried low weight high reps12-15, heavy weight mid reps 8-10, on exercises including : flat db press, incline db press, cable flies, chest dips and some chest press machine on rare occasion. I have a strong diet , not clean, have been on a bulk since i was 6'1 143pds, now 6'1 170 and everything's been coming in strong but my chest. Anybody ran into this problem? Can anyone help?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you gotten significantly stronger or are your weights about the same?

GoGetSwole

GoGetSwole

Awards
Have you gotten significantly stronger or are your weights about the same?
Yes I've went up in all u presses 40 pounds in the last... Say... 2 months?

So db's from 30's to 45-50's

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dips? For whatever reason, these get lost in the shuffle.

Also, what's your current max on flat and incline BB?

GoGetSwole

GoGetSwole

Awards
Dips? For whatever reason, these get lost in the shuffle.

Also, what's your current max on flat and incline BB?
Yep I do dips, not weighted though just body weight. And I haven't been able to do bb because my gym partner went to prison so I've only been comfortable with db, is that a problem?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yep I do dips, not weighted though just body weight. And I haven't been able to do bb because my gym partner went to prison so I've only been comfortable with db, is that a problem?
Taking out an entire group of exercises is a major problem.

GoGetSwole

GoGetSwole

Awards
Taking out an entire group of exercises is a major problem.
Well I do db press incline and flat does that not target basically the same besides incorporating stabilizing muscle parts?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I do db press incline and flat does that not target basically the same besides incorporating stabilizing muscle parts?
There's different techniques and overload applied to the muscle with BB compared to DB.

GoGetSwole

GoGetSwole

Awards
There's different techniques and overload applied to the muscle with BB compared to DB.
So your idea for me to grow bigger chest is what? From what im getting from it: Incorporate db incline and flat 3-4 sets each AND bb incline and flat 3-4 sets each, every chest day?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So your idea for me to grow bigger chest is what? From what im getting from it: Incorporate db incline and flat 3-4 sets each AND bb incline and flat 3-4 sets each, every chest day?
Considering you're not doing any BB movements, start there.

GoGetSwole

GoGetSwole

Awards
Considering you're not doing any BB movements, start there.
Sounds good. I'll try out 3-4 sets of incline and flat bb press next chest workout (72hours). Then switch back and forth from bb/db every other workout? Sound solid? Or should I just hit the bb for awhile?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds good. I'll try out 3-4 sets of incline and flat bb press next chest workout (72hours). Then switch back and forth from bb/db every other workout? Sound solid? Or should I just hit the bb for awhile?
Do both in each session. I see no purpose in having a strictly BB or DB workout (outside of rehabbing an injury).

Patuba

Awards
  • Established
Make sure to squeeze the **** out of your chest at the top of the movement when lifting. Really get a good contraction. Also make sure to do slow negatives.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
What has helped me is pinching my shoulder blades back as I bench. A lot of people overlook that technique.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What has helped me is pinching my shoulder blades back as I bench. A lot of people overlook that technique.
That's because most people don't know how to bench properly and safely.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
That's because most people don't know how to bench properly and safely.
lol way too true. how many pts suggest flat back and curved shoulders? too many

and btw op, dont stop the bb movements because your partner is gone now. lots of us train alone and still do those "dangerous" exercise. think about it, at worse someone will run over and get it off you if it was that bad

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

So db's from 30's to 45-50's
I just want to add on top of what Rodja said that if those are what you are doing for flat or decline bench with DBs, its not a ton of weight still. so although your pecs probably are growing, they just aren't growing as much as you'd like them to vs not growing at all. That is still a weight point where i'd be surprised if you did have big pecs. So incorporate the barbell, and be patient. the pecs aren't such a super visible in growth muscle as a quad or tricep

chitown58

chitown58

Awards
Get ur mind/muscle connection going...r u getting a pump in ur chest when doing bench dips whatev chest exercise ur doing? Sum people iv trained had trouble actually feeling there chest being worked, got more shoulders and tri's than chest...had them stop worrying bout reps and had them concentrate on time under tension for hypertrophy, really focusing on squeezing and contracting the targeted muscle rather than just repping it out. Might take sum time but u should b feeling it more n more...that helped my guys.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I first started training chest. I very seldom felt my pecs engage. I did Flat,inclin e decline, barbell dumbbell you name it.It wasnt until I started incorporating hammer machine chest press. For some reason after that 1 exercise. I felt my pecs. After Months of this, I c an now feel my pecs engage in every chest exercise

Patuba

Awards
  • Established
Get ur mind/muscle connection going...r u getting a pump in ur chest when doing bench dips whatev chest exercise ur doing? Sum people iv trained had trouble actually feeling there chest being worked, got more shoulders and tri's than chest...had them stop worrying bout reps and had them concentrate on time under tension for hypertrophy, really focusing on squeezing and contracting the targeted muscle rather than just repping it out. Might take sum time but u should b feeling it more n more...that helped my guys.
Great post.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
just my 2 cents, I stopped doing barbell incline and bench and my chest has grown with jsut using DBs. I hate using barbell, I cant go as big as I want too and I really dislike barbell bench for some reason. But i prefer dbs as well. I feel like it hits my chest harder than BB every could

GoGetSwole

GoGetSwole

Awards
I realized my form was off a bit. I wasn't pinning back and had my shoulders off the bench. Also started barbell benching and my chest feels tight and swole. Thanks for the advice brahs

kdeome

kdeome

Awards
6'1" 170lbs and only hitting max 50lbs dumbbells? Lol weak dude. Im 5'10" and even during my cut 157lbs im repping out 80lbs dumbbells... . Try putting up some real weights and you'll grow.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
6'1" 170lbs and only hitting max 50lbs dumbbells? Lol weak dude. Im 5'10" and even during my cut 157lbs im repping out 80lbs dumbbells... . Try putting up some real weights and you'll grow.
:O.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
If your shoulder mobility is good, you might want to try Gironda dips.
I've had great success with them.
Good luck
Peace

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
and youre 157kbs, i havnt seen that weight since 9th grade. go back to bb.com with the flame, 80lbs aint something to brag about

kdeome

kdeome

Awards
Lol 157lbs, 11% bodyfat and ive never touched a PH. You were 157lbs in 9th grade and 5 foot something? How fat were you?

And as far as bragging? Hardly. But take it as you will. My size doing 80lb dumbbells for 10 reps on my 3rd set, not bad. My point was his weights are light, and if doesnt lift heavier and further challenge his pecs- he's not going to grow. I didn't know i was supposed to spoon feed him.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol 157lbs, 11% bodyfat and ive never touched a PH. You were 157lbs in 9th grade and 5 foot something? How fat were you?
Take you prepubescent attitude elsewhere. 157lbs is TINY even for most HS kids so don't act like you're accomplished and a badass.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Take you prepubescent attitude elsewhere. 157lbs is TINY even for most HS kids so don't act like you're accomplished and a badass.
:laughing:

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This thread just got live!

kdeome

kdeome

Awards
:lol: easy big guy. I guess that everyone in my ***** ass school was small too. 160 in 9th grade isnt tiny :lol:

I missed the post where i said how badass and accomplished i was, but hell, this IS the internet afterall.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

And as far as bragging? Hardly. But take it as you will. My size doing 80lb dumbbells for 10 reps on my 3rd set, not bad. My point was his weights are light, and if doesnt lift heavier and further challenge his pecs- he's not going to grow. I didn't know i was supposed to spoon feed him.
My friends 140 and does 85 lbs db's incline o_0. This is going to be a fun thread .

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
157lbs of school boy bitch! I'll rep out 80lb dumbells with my dick. tool

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
:laughing:

kdeome

kdeome

Awards
:lol: sorry i got everyone all worked up this evening.

OP: I'm a skinny *** who cant lift, ignore my comment to lift heavier.

:*

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
:lol: easy big guy. I guess that everyone in my ***** ass school was small too. 160 in 9th grade isnt tiny :lol:

I missed the post where i said how badass and accomplished i was, but hell, this IS the internet afterall.
160lbs in 9th is average, at best. Your attitude comes off as though it is amazing that you can rep 80lbs on DBs and acting as though you know what it actually takes to grow when you're the size of a figure skater.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Moving weight is good but there's bigger pictures @ play:

1) Diet in order 90% of the time.
2) Dedication. (Drive, determination)
3) Form.

If a person has those in order verses a person just hitting heavy weights, I'd put my money on the person moving lighter weights with the 3 points above totally in check.
Just my .02. :)

kdeome

kdeome

Awards
160lbs in 9th is average, at best. Your attitude comes off as though it is amazing that you can rep 80lbs on DBs and acting as though you know what it actually takes to grow when you're the size of a figure skater.
Like i said, not for me/my area. Not to fuel the fire but yea, i was very thin in highschool. I graduated at 125lbs. At my largest bulk i was 165lbs (a couple months ago) and my max barbell bench (flat) was 275. Ive been lifting for 2 years this winter, but seriously(ish) for the last 8 months.

I have a very fast metabolism so packing on size is a slow process. I dont drink protein shakes and my diet is mediocre at best.

Now you know me. Im a skinny weak bitch and dont know ****. :)

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like i said, not for me/my area. Not to fuel the fire but yea, i was very thin in highschool. I graduated at 125lbs. At my largest bulk i was 165lbs (a couple months ago) and my max barbell bench (flat) was 275. Ive been lifting for 2 years this winter, but seriously(ish) for the last 8 months.

I have a very fast metabolism so packing on size is a slow process. I dont drink protein shakes and my diet is mediocre at best.

Now you know me. Im a skinny weak bitch and dont know ****. :)
Strong attitude. Are you sure you graduated High School? Because you act as though you're in middle school.

There's nothing wrong with lifting more weight but its not about numbers its about effort. You're problem is not advising someone to lift for strength, rather your "holier than thou" attitude while doing it. This is not bbing.com and people expect to learn without being flamed. Not everyone has the same goals/genetics/background/experience and you would do well to learn that.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
As an alternative to lifting heavy on the bench press (barbell) try implementing time under tension tenchniques (with moderate weight) to encourage growth.

Do 8 reps in each set (4). Do a 4 second negative on every rep and 1 second up (40 seconds per set). Also, you are only allowed a 40 second break betweens sets
To make this exersise harder, on the negative, squeese your hands together like you are trying to do a fly (without moving your hands). This will create more tension. I guarantee you will feel this the next day.

You can do the same thing on dumbells. Instead of squeezing inwards you go outwards. For example most people do a db press where at the top of the movement the DB is directly above their shoulder joint-which takes most of the tension and weight-you could technicly hold this position for a long time. So instead move the dumbells outwards 1-2 inches to form a W shape with your arms. This should be the new finishing point! This is much harder and removes a lot of tension from your shoulder joint and puts it in your chest. In addition it keeps the tension in your chest for the whole exersise. Combined with a 4010 tempo this will also make you really sore.

Expect the weight your currently pushing to initally drop while doing this. i dropped nearly 1/3 when i first did it but was twice as sore. If you are bulking, on last set of each exersise, do a quadrouple drop set for 4-5 reps. This is hell. Get ready for growth.

I hope that made sense.

kdeome

kdeome

Awards
I laid out my background so that everyone knows who i am and where im coming from. Thats not attitude dude.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I laid out my background so that everyone knows who i am and where im coming from. Thats not attitude dude.
You've had the attitude since your first post. No one cares about your background.

kdeome

kdeome

Awards
Im sorry that my meanie weanie post made you so butt hurt. Do you expect a ****ing formal apology dude? Im an ******* as we have established. Can we move on, are you capable of getting over it? Lets sit back and see. You can get the last word in here boss- go for it. Hell, neg me and send a PM telling me how upset you are if you want. Clearly we cant be internet friends and i need you to give me a good learning.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im sorry that my meanie weanie post made you so butt hurt. Do you expect a ****ing formal apology dude? Im an ******* as we have established. Can we move on, are you capable of getting over it? Lets sit back and see. You can get the last word in here boss- go for it. Hell, neg me and send a PM telling me how upset you are if you want. Clearly we cant be internet friends and i need you to give me a good learning.
Lol you're going to fit in perfectly here, along with a lot of the other banned members. You need to relax, obviously common courtesy and respect are things that you never learned growing up.

chitown58

chitown58

Awards
TUT and mind muscle connection, keep it heavy but to the point to where u can control it...feel that tension in ur chest and ur chest will grow!!...just try that for a while to see if it works, it should def give u sum gains, and use dumbels cause u can target ur chest better this way...but yea, seems like lotta people on here try n override any actual advice given so listen if u want bro, if not then good luck.

chitown58

chitown58

Awards
As an alternative to lifting heavy on the bench press (barbell) try implementing time under tension tenchniques (with moderate weight) to encourage growth.

Do 8 reps in each set (4). Do a 4 second negative on every rep and 1 second up (40 seconds per set). Also, you are only allowed a 40 second break betweens sets
To make this exersise harder, on the negative, squeese your hands together like you are trying to do a fly (without moving your hands). This will create more tension. I guarantee you will feel this the next day.

You can do the same thing on dumbells. Instead of squeezing inwards you go outwards. For example most people do a db press where at the top of the movement the DB is directly above their shoulder joint-which takes most of the tension and weight-you could technicly hold this position for a long time. So instead move the dumbells outwards 1-2 inches to form a W shape with your arms. This should be the new finishing point! This is much harder and removes a lot of tension from your shoulder joint and puts it in your chest. In addition it keeps the tension in your chest for the whole exersise. Combined with a 4010 tempo this will also make you really sore.

Expect the weight your currently pushing to initally drop while doing this. i dropped nearly 1/3 when i first did it but was twice as sore. If you are bulking, on last set of each exersise, do a quadrouple drop set for 4-5 reps. This is hell. Get ready for growth.

I hope that made sense.
Do this :)

GoGetSwole

GoGetSwole

Awards
Haha always one of these guys that leak over from other forums. I went up in db and bb bench since my bench form is re-evaluated for future reference. Either way kdeome your 5'10 and 157 is NOTHING to be bragging up brah, your pathetic. Also I've only been training 8 months going from 142-171 at less then 7-8% bf TODAY. If you have any REAL training under your belt then you've wasted you time because if thats all you've gain then you have serious issues with your own routine or diet you need to wrk on, before you go about trying to smash on me for a weight I was at, many chest days ago.

GoGetSwole

GoGetSwole

Awards
Dam didnt know this was a 4 page thread when I posted that last comment. Thanks for all the advice brahs, half of this thread I was loling at but good information in here.