Heavy vs light

dmax79

dmax79

Awards
Some of my buddy's have been steering away from the heavy weights and doing very high reps light weight they claim to be making gains. Does anyone else out there have any experience with this kind of routine?

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Diet dictates "gains" while lifting dictates strength. I switch from 4-6 reps to 10-15 pretty regularly. Keeps me from plateauing.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
At what pace do they do the light weights? Perhaps with the higher reps they are spending more time under tension? This can encourage growth.

dmax79

dmax79

Awards
Their doing reps fast but not so fast as to have poor form and reps of 50 to 100

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Wow that is lighter than i thought. But that to me sounds like they are spending a lot of time under tension. Ive found 40 second sets are good for me if use this method. However when i do i only do slow 8 reps over this time so i can use heavier weight.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Do your friends realise that there is more than one type of muscle fiber in the body? If theyr doing high reps over high speeds chnaces are theyr going to activate type 1 muscle fibers (endurance) which will limit growth.

How new are they too lifting?

dmax79

dmax79

Awards
They have all been training for quite a while but they have been talking to a local trainer who insists you can make gains with this routine

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
They definately wont be the next arnold with that approach.

schroedes

schroedes

Awards
I don't think 50 reps plus is necessary, every 4th week i do a deload week and do around 20 reps with a lighter weight, 50 plus is way overkill in my opinion and will just wear your joints out

dmax79

dmax79

Awards
Yeah I just wondered if anyone else had heard of this I questioned it when it was suggested

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

abbey sha

Awards
Naturally you have to build a body they have many ideas.In every day you eat egg in every morning time period.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Jail house workouts.

Anyhow, going to failure, even at 50-100 reps, should activate both fast and slow twitch muscle fibers, just not as effectively as low rep workouts.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They definately wont be the next arnold with that approach.
I'd wager that they won't be the next arnold regardless of their approach... And not everyone wants to be

They have all been training for quite a while but they have been talking to a local trainer who insists you can make gains with this routine
you can make gains with any routine. You do have some sets of issues with any routine, and I wouldn't want to stick to all exercises being in that sort of range long term, but having one or two exercises be that way even the primary compounds for a while wouldnt' be bad

abbey sha

Awards
Some time your body was comes into low condition this time you will do some exercise only.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Some time your body was comes into low condition this time you will do some exercise only.
Your comments make no sense what so ever lol.

abbey sha

Awards
The natural bodybuilding was very important.Then only the body can be comes into long life.

thehulk2203

thehulk2203

Awards
Diet dictates "gains" while lifting dictates strength. I switch from 4-6 reps to 10-15 pretty regularly. Keeps me from plateauing.
this is exactly the routine i do when i getting ready to compete i start going heavy 3-6, in off season i go light 10-15 reps.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Both light and heavy sets should be used.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey..hey. You wana muscle build*hiccup* I will show you

*drops pants* shee? Its good in the nieborhood home slice

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
Plenty of guys train with high reps. It may not be the norm, but there are guys doing it and making gains. I just read an article somewhere not long ago with a natty bodybuilder who only does high reps. He pyramids lunges and some other exercise from 60 reps and increases weight/drops 10 reps each time. For all of his other exercises he starts around 30 reps and does the same scheme, but drops 5 reps each time and stops at 15 reps I think.

Someone else said it already that you hit both types of fibers doing higher reps as long as you get close to or go all the way to failure. Jim Stoppani had an article in FLEX about high rep programs as well. He was talking about an 11wk pyramid scheme, but I couldn't find anymore details on the setup.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Plenty of guys train with high reps. It may not be the norm, but there are guys doing it and making gains. I just read an article somewhere not long ago with a natty bodybuilder who only does high reps. He pyramids lunges and some other exercise from 60 reps and increases weight/drops 10 reps each time. For all of his other exercises he starts around 30 reps and does the same scheme, but drops 5 reps each time and stops at 15 reps I think.

Someone else said it already that you hit both types of fibers doing higher reps as long as you get close to or go all the way to failure. Jim Stoppani had an article in FLEX about high rep programs as well. He was talking about an 11wk pyramid scheme, but I couldn't find anymore details on the setup.
I'm also a fan of that last drop on a drop set.The weight started at 100 lbs dumbell then to 50 then to 10.This morning I was struggling on 10 lbs for shoulders.Got 17 reps and threw the weights down cause it burrrrrnnnneeeed.Was a good workout.

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
Haha I love doing drops on calves. I'll do calves on the leg press machine and just drop that pin 3-5 times and end up with like 30lbs left on the stack and my legs are burning and cramping like crazy at that point. It's an awesome feeling.

Santillan

Awards
Yah thats true. I think they need more work out.