How much should i bulk?

SquatOrTwat

SquatOrTwat

Banned
Awards
16 years old and 5'5 weighting 150lbs at 14% bodyfat.

How much should I bulk and how many pounds per month?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
1lb per week at a 3500 calorie surplus every week

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
you can go 2lbs but you will need a 1000 calorie surplus everyday and could lead to fat gain vs muscle gain, you can bulk for however long you want, nobody can tell you when to stop but if you start gaining excess fat the drop your calories down or decide if its time to cut

SquatOrTwat

SquatOrTwat

Banned
Awards
you can go 2lbs but you will need a 1000 calorie surplus everyday and could lead to fat gain vs muscle gain, you can bulk for however long you want, nobody can tll you when to stop but if you start gaining excess fat the drop your calories down or decide if its time to cut
I already have exsessive fat. Should I just keep bulking at 1lb-1.5lb till 180 and then cut to 170-175? Oh and IF or just regualar meals

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Aim for 2-2.5 lbs a month IMO. IF protocol is what I follow, increase cals slowly, bulk until you are happy. Don't let someone tell you how to tune your body, we all do this because we love what we do, we love to mold and shape our bodys and watch it change. Train for your goals, research how to diet and train correctly, you're young so it would be great to start now.

You can only really gain 2 lbs of LBM a month, maybe a little more if you are new to lifting, and even less if you are experienced. Take it slow and good luck.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Aim for 2-2.5 lbs a month IMO. IF protocol is what I follow, increase cals slowly, bulk until you are happy. Don't let someone tell you how to tune your body, we all do this because we love what we do, we love to mold and shape our bodys and watch it change. Train for your goals, research how to diet and train correctly, you're young so it would be great to start now.

You can only really gain 2 lbs of LBM a month, maybe a little more if you are new to lifting, and even less if you are experienced. Take it slow and good luck.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards

Oh the 25lbs of muscle a year deal?

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Oh the 25lbs of muscle a year deal?
I'm just saying, theres alot of bulkers out there that eat pizza every day and think they are putting on 6-8 lbs every month lol.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'm just saying, theres alot of bulkers out there that eat pizza every day and think they are putting on 6-8 lbs every month lol.
Totally agreed.
There's good weight and bad weight....

w/o "help" (anabolics) people won't "blow up", so though your statements sounds accurate.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Totally agreed.
There's good weight and bad weight....

w/o "help" (anabolics) people won't "blow up", so though your statements sounds accurate.
Yeah, anabolics as well all know will speed up the process. He is 16 though, so please don't get any ideas! Lol

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
16 years old and 5'5 weighting 150lbs at 14% bodyfat.

How much should I bulk and how many pounds per month?
Here is a rationality check - don't ever bulk!

You are 16. Keep eating right and do not gain fat. Puberty is going to kick in hard real soon. Don't blow it by getting over fattened thinking you are "bulking up".

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I already have exsessive fat. Should I just keep bulking at 1lb-1.5lb till 180 and then cut to 170-175? Oh and IF or just regualar meals
Id agree with 1lb or less p/week. Even less would be recommended. Scale weight doesnt reflect body compostition, so dont get fat thinking your getting swole. :)

ripped_one

Awards
  • Established

You are 16. Keep eating right and do not gain fat. Puberty is going to kick in hard real soon. Don't blow it by getting over fattened thinking you are "bulking up".
100% agree. Eat clean, lift, sleep, and let it happen. I made the biggest gains from 16-20. It just took patience and consistency.

BigAK9

Awards
At 16 you're probably still in highschool, are you on amy teams? I am a junior in college and have been lifting seriously since I was a sophmore. So I remember how hard it can be to follow a diet, and schedule it in. The first thing I would recommend is shoot for 1lb lean gain a week. Don't get sloppy eating whatever you want, keep it clean and at around 3800 calories, or if youre on a sports team 4500.
The diet I used and put on decent size was similar to the one Ill lay out. I know it'll be tough to do, but here was my diet off season, and bare in mind I lived alone during my junior and senior years of highschool and cooked all my meals (and you may have to too):
8:45 five eggs (three whole two white)
11:00 two pbjs on whole wheat (prepacked)
1:05 whatever the cafeteria is serving
2:35 Two turkey sandwiches pre packed.
5:00 Leftovers from night before
7:00 Dinner for that night.
I would go to bed at ten usually.
PWO whey protein and recon by muscle pharm
Tips:
I have always been a heavy eater, but have found out it's easier to eat this way and stay a little hungry after each meal so that by the next one I'm starving.
DRINK WATER! I mean a gallon a day is what your minimum should be. I mean don't over hydrate just carry a nalgene with you to class and use the water fountains to fill it.

David147

Awards
Bulking is simple, you have to eat a lot! If you are 5'9 and are 125 than you only think you look good, but that is very skinny, you might work on your abs but i bet you started working on them because you had them to start and wanted them to be better! I am one inch taller than you and weigh 165 at 7.5% body fat, that looks good! You should not cut yet not at all, you need to pack on mass and then you can start, I would say that Bulking up to 150 for you and then cutting down to 135 would be a good look for you and the next year start the process again bulk to 160 and cut to 145 in the summer, that's how you get it, its not a hit the gym for a year and look huge! All you need to do to bulk is eat, eat, eat and make sure you have a good workout schedule, id say hit the gym 5 times a week. When you want to cut you just have to eat less calories than you burn and you will start to cut and after a couple months u will look good! If you want a good cycle is would be bulk for 3 cut for 2 and keep going that you you will look good and lean all year round! hope this helped!

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards

Yes I agree 100%. I was thinking the same thing. Don't get sold on everything you read it's mostly unnecessary to put it nicely.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Bulking is simple, you have to eat a lot! If you are 5'9 and are 125 than you only think you look good, but that is very skinny, you might work on your abs but i bet you started working on them because you had them to start and wanted them to be better! I am one inch taller than you and weigh 165 at 7.5% body fat, that looks good! You should not cut yet not at all, you need to pack on mass and then you can start, I would say that Bulking up to 150 for you and then cutting down to 135 would be a good look for you and the next year start the process again bulk to 160 and cut to 145 in the summer, that's how you get it, its not a hit the gym for a year and look huge! All you need to do to bulk is eat, eat, eat and make sure you have a good workout schedule, id say hit the gym 5 times a week. When you want to cut you just have to eat less calories than you burn and you will start to cut and after a couple months u will look good! If you want a good cycle is would be bulk for 3 cut for 2 and keep going that you you will look good and lean all year round! hope this helped!
Once again, thread is 3 years old