Chest will not grow!!!

mattymatt83

mattymatt83

Awards
My chest looks like a toddlers But is super strong, my arms and shoulders are big so I dont understand this stubborn chest?? I tried once a week twice a week, barbell, dumbbell, 5x5, 6-8 reps 8-12 reps ... Don't understand... I feel a good pump and a little sore a day after but never no size gains. I been lifting off and on for about 6 years and chest has always been my primary focus since it was always my smallest muscle. I hardly ever hit arms and when I do it's jus some half ass workout but they always seem to stay big and strong....maybe I should apply this less is more attitude for cheat? Need help! Need pecs!

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Heavy negatives done with a partner, supersets/giant sets, try cadenced reps from my own anecdotal findings 5/1/2 has worked best for me and have seen noticeable thickness improvements especially when seen from the side. Try mixing up hand positioning on the barbell wider/closer. Could try to throw in 10x10 volume sets with limited rest time. Make sure to do your best to follow up your chest days with perfect nutrition as feeding your body exactly what it needs will prime it for growth to repair the damage you have done nutrition>training. Also I have found my stubborn muscle groups have responded to high reps and that cadence scheme previously mentioned. Also just as a side note try training chest with a partner if you are not already it'll give you that little extra confidence to go heavier or for that extra rep that could be the difference between growth and minimal stimulation. It's all about the mind muscle connection when your working chest squeeze with your chest if you don't concentrate on this other muscle such as triceps anterior deltoids will take the over a large portion of the exercise. Good luck and hopefully that will help feel free to pm with any other specific questions

mattymatt83

mattymatt83

Awards
NYiron thanks for the reply! What sets and reps would u recommend? Once or twice a week?
For the last year I been doin mostly BB bench, and cable flys, decline and incline mixed in here and there. I just recently went to DB bench and have been doin a drop set or two in there....think DB is better for size? I really don't care about strength just want my pecs to catch up with arms and shoulders. I will mix some negatives as u suggested, jus don't wanna overtrain nor be undertrained.

If u can hit me with a lil sample workout

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
No problem, hope that helps a little. At work right now but I'll shoot you over something later on today.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
my .02 is that dumbells helped me the most with mass but barbell gave me more strength. i i move up 1 or 2 reps everytime till all three sets are above 10 than i move up weight. since january i moved up from 55 to 90s and with barbells i do the buckeye and if i get it mon and fri i move up. hope i helped!

mattymatt83

mattymatt83

Awards
Yea I'm trying the DB approach for a while...I have good strength but don't even care about that, just want pure cheat mass. How often u train chest and how many sets and reps? I been hearing 11-15 pure mass no strength but always thought 8-12 was? But that range never worked on me ...

krakken

krakken

Awards
mattymatt, how old are you? Whats your height/weight?

Since your in the natural forum, I'm assuming your doing this naturally. Secondly, it don't matter if you've been lifting 6 years if it hasnt been consistent. You HAVE to be consistent and dedicated, especially when your training naturally! Also, you need a routine and you need to stick to it so you can gauge your strength. Hows your calorie intake? Your body will not put on muscle if your not getting enough cals.

Exercise wise. Id work out a split 3 days a week like chest/monday, back/wednesday, legs/friday. Push the weight on the bench press. One thing that has really changed my body is the mind-muscle connection. Google it. When your training.. focus on the body part your working with your mind. Feel it working, feel the muscle fibers tearing.

Lot of good articles here on anabolicminds, I'd check out some of the mass ones. Less is more when your training naturally, remember that.

krakken

krakken

Awards
Oh, and for the love of everything good in this world. Don't flop that ****ing weight off your chest when your benching. Do slow controlled reps. Want a 3/1 count.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Obviously you should always change your rep ranges to challenge yourself and change things up but I noticed that higher reps below my chest grow. 15-12-10-8 ....a typical chest workout for me would be nothing lower than 8 reps. I feel that anything lower than 8 is strength training and not much hypertrophy training.

mattymatt83

mattymatt83

Awards
Yes that's what I have always read as well. I hear a good muscle building range is 8-12 gives u size and sum strength although I did jus read this article yesterday saying for pure size only!! 11-15 reps.

fayce

fayce

Awards
Like everyone else is saying try slowing down your reps (try 3 second negative reps) and actually feel the muscle contraction. Remember, as a bodybuilder (not a weight lifter) your objective is to actually work the muscle rather than trying to shift a barbell from point A. to point B.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Great replies in here. Your arms (and likely lats) are big and strong as you say.... so take these out of the equation! Dumbbells all the way, DB press, heavy flies, you can use barbell at various widths, and squeeze/press inwards with your hands on the bar during the movement. Also keep shoulder blades back and tight. Lower the weight and focus on your chest... make sure you concentrate on the area as much as possible and feel it working. Take your lats/delts/triceps out of the equation during your lifts and your chest will grow.

YYZgeddylee

YYZgeddylee

Awards
Your arms (and likely lats) are big and strong as you say.... so take these out of the equation! Dumbbells all the way, DB press, heavy flies, you can use barbell at various widths, and squeeze/press inwards with your hands on the bar during the movement. Also keep shoulder blades back and tight. Lower the weight and focus on your chest... make sure you concentrate on the area as much as possible and feel it working. Take your lats/delts/triceps out of the equation during your lifts and your chest will grow.
This !

Lessen the weight. Slow the negative. Squeeze the bar inward.

Barbell Bench Squeeze.jpg

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
What has worked well for me is concentrating on closed chain movements for chest.
Specifically dips, and ring push ups.
If you have access to the equipment ring push ups work very well for both strength and size.
Peace

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Great diagram. Also something I've discovered... if you're having troubles keeping your shoulder blades back and together throughout the full movement (they may tend to become separated at the top) - then you may need to strengthen your rhomboids to keep those shoulders back and out of the equation.

mattymatt83

mattymatt83

Awards
Thanks for the replies....I plan on using some of the tips given , I have heard a lot of good form and heavy weight replies...my form well disciplined no bounce nice slow negative fast up reps, different grips different reps, 5x5 6-8 8-10 6-12 and this was on my bench press 3-5 sets depending on my routine. I'd then hit a incline, decline machine and some flies or dips.... Thinking higher reps might spark some growth? And I also did jus start dumbbells over barbell. Once a week, twice a week? Sets?
Current:
Flat DB 3x6-8
Incline machine 3x8-12
Cable flys or dips couple sets to failure.
Don't seem like a lot of sets but I'm starting to think I was over training do to me primarily focusing on chest and tryin to really kill it when trained.... My arms i might work maybe once or twice a month and half ass no certain routine but there 17 inches pretty decent I think since I'm only 5"10 195 lbs. toddler chest tho.

holysnikey

Awards
Do you have a set routine?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mattymatt83

mattymatt83

Awards
Nothing set on stone besides the DB flat bench. Lil incline some flys maybe dips

holysnikey

Awards
Might want to look on some bodybuilding websites or on logs and get a set routine. Having a set up routine that you follow will insure that you work everything consistently. Also your chest will not grow if other parts of your body like your back isn't growing as well because your body wants everything equal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Might want to look on some bodybuilding websites or on logs and get a set routine. Having a set up routine that you follow will insure that you work everything consistently. Also your chest will not grow if other parts of your body like your back isn't growing as well because your body wants everything equal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
This.
You want your chest to grow make sure you are training your back.
Peace