back to building..

mrbadwrench

Awards
I am not new to body building, but just returning, in 9th and 10th grade I got pretty heavily into training but not cutting or diet/nutrition. I gained about 25 lbs over those 2 years and was at an estimated 14% fat by the school trainer.

Now I am 20 and after all these years of bad habits and fast food I'm looking to get back into it.

I'm going to be going with full body workouts every other day, alternating between heavy and moderate days.

I will be running every day, 1 mile on the building days, and 2 miles on the off days.

As for nutrition I will be doing only eggs/meat/carbohydrates, with water, whole milk, and whey protein shakes. any advice on how often I should be doing protein shakes would be appreciated.

does this seem like a reasonable plan for cutting fat and building mass? Any help is appreciated.

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
if your wanting to look bigger, get bigger! If your a complete noob and hardly touched a weight before do a FB routine or if you dont plan to compete and just want to increase performace and overall looks, otherwise try a normal split or an upper/lower. If your happy with doing an FB routine dont vary your weights between heavy and light, you could follow something like madcows 5x5 which has loading parameters built into it.

Skip all the jogging also while on a bulk, it will only hinder gains and recovery. Again if doing a FB routine and on a bulk imo it would be better to do HIIT cardio on your off days. eg:
Mon - Weights
Tues - HIIT
Wed - Weights
Thurs - HIIT
Fri - Weights
Sat - Off
Sun - Off

As for your diet your food groups sound fine just make sure you count your macros so there correct for your goals.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
if your wanting to look bigger, get bigger! If your a complete noob and hardly touched a weight before do a FB routine or if you dont plan to compete and just want to increase performace and overall looks, otherwise try a normal split or an upper/lower. If your happy with doing an FB routine dont vary your weights between heavy and light, you could follow something like madcows 5x5 which has loading parameters built into it.

Skip all the jogging also while on a bulk, it will only hinder gains and recovery. Again if doing a FB routine and on a bulk imo it would be better to do HIIT cardio on your off days. eg:
Mon - Weights
Tues - HIIT
Wed - Weights
Thurs - HIIT
Fri - Weights
Sat - Off
Sun - Off

As for your diet your food groups sound fine just make sure you count your macros so there correct for your goals.

You stated the FB routine is for a new b or some1 just looking to look a bit better?
Sentence kind of ran on, but I was curious of your thoughts on upper/lower splits and FBs.

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
You stated the FB routine is for a new b or some1 just looking to look a bit better?
Sentence kind of ran on, but I was curious of your thoughts on upper/lower splits and FBs.
I think FB routines with compound movements are good for rank beginners who need to build a base. I also think your not doing yourself any favour by only doing compound movements forever.

If you want to get into powerlifting then live, learn and love compounds. But if you want to get on stage and compete then theres better options then FB routines with only compounds. Ive seen a lot a guys new to competing do 4-5day splits etc from the start and have placed in comps, however i have not seen any that have only done say 5x5, then cut down and placed at all. But im talking very vaguely here as in, if you doing 5x5 and just doing flat bench, you chest isnt going to look no where near as good on stage if you were doing inclines and flyes as well. Gaining strength is still very important but strength progression can be gained on any split. I also feel a lot of full body routines neglect arms, again if your thinking about wanting to compete those arms have to be trained.

I think upper/lowers are also fine, but as the natural progression of the bodybuilder goes on, muscles need to be trained on there own so more focus and intensity can be put into that muscle being trained, and more rest days. But again very controversial, If im training muscle groups twice a week i really have to focus on keeping the intensity down or theres no way i would be recovered by the time i have to train that muscle again. Thats just me.

Thats all i have to say about the subject lmao. The problem is there is so much controversy people will of course disagree with what i said, because i suck for wording things, and i dont really back my stuff up very much because i cant be bothered and why should i have too?? lmao Im talking from experience not study done on google!

I had a bit of program OCD awhile ago and went on the hunt for some fresh ideas and theories and HOLY ****!!! Did i get lost, i feel sorry for new guys trying to find there way. Because i know i felt stupider and more confused after a good few hours of research that i wanted to quit!! lol What happened to no internet and just asking what and listening to the advice of the bigger guys in the gym?! I feel if things like this happened more often there would be a lot more bigger then average guys around.

you can argue Powerlifters train heavy and quite often, and, well.... good for them lol im not a powerlifter and even though you have guys like dave gulldge, stan efferding, matt kroc, tate ect that powerlift and compete none have done very good in the comps they enter.

anyway im lost with what im saying, hope i confused you more hahaha

EliteSoldier

Awards
If you just wanna get bigger I suggest stick to the big 3.. Squats, deads and benchpress.. Eat at LEAST 500cals above your usual calorie intake.. Cut back on the running alittle.. Cardio is important but while bulking i limit myself to only one run a week... The rest are moderate intensity elepticals or bike.. Just my 2 cents :)

mrbadwrench

Awards
I definitely also love looking lean along with big, but I will cut it down to a couple runs a week