Lifts to size correalation

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng

    They're not set in stone, but general rule of thumb standards. They are for 1RM, other than the 15 rep squats that you supposedly should do for your own weight.

    I disagree with your statement 3-5 reps is not the optimal way to maximize hypertrophy; it very well could be. I think the weight on the bar accounts for how much hypertrophy will be gained.

    How much hypertrophy would you gain while eating in a caloric deficit and performing 10-15 reps with just the bar?
    Okay, I'll go get you some data, journal of strength and conditioning is full of it.

    Also with the calorie/rep thing, lets not get silly and play the "well, what if you" game.
    I'm going to neg some one red, I can feel it.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Arnold explains the hypertrophic rep range well. In his book, he says that your initial fibers recruited by the brain are being used to move the weight and as they become more fatigued, the brain will start recruiting more and more muscle fibers. And according to what part of the body you are training, a certain rep range "to failure" applies to maximize hypertrophy. For upper body ~ 8-12, for lower body ~ 10-15. There is another way to figure it out as well - 75% of your 1RM, taken to failure. In addition,
    Those rep ranges are not set in stone. Dr. Squat "Fred Hatfield" recommends you calculate your % of fiber makeups to determine which specific rep range would be better.

    Arnolds recommendation sounds like he assumes everyone has the exact same genetic makeup of fiber types. Some people have more fast twitch than slow twitch in a lot of different areas.

    This is the same Arnold that thinks close grip benches stimulate the "inner chest" while wide grip stimulates the "outter chest".

    Arnold also recommends going heavier than that on certain exercises, especially the power exercises such as bench and squats from time to time. These ideal rep ranges are generally what it takes to fatique all of the muscle fibers in that group
    Bench presses are not "power exercises" and neither are squats.

    Olympic lifts are power exercises.

    Power is work per unit of time.

    Myofibrillar hypertrophy is the thickest form and is stimulates better with low reps.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
    •   
       


  3. Let the penis measuring contest begin! haha

    Arnold was great in his time, he has some great facts, but not everything Arnold said was a fact.
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
    Changing Lives is what I crave.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    Those rep ranges are not set in stone. Dr. Squat "Fred Hatfield" recommends you calculate your % of fiber makeups to determine which specific rep range would be better.

    Arnolds recommendation sounds like he assumes everyone has the exact same genetic makeup of fiber types. Some people have more fast twitch than slow twitch in a lot of different areas.

    This is the same Arnold that thinks close grip benches stimulate the "inner chest" while wide grip stimulates the "outter chest".



    Bench presses are not "power exercises" and neither are squats.

    Olympic lifts are power exercises.

    Power is work per unit of time.

    Myofibrillar hypertrophy is the thickest form and is stimulates better with low reps.
    First of all, no one said anything about "being set in stone". It's a general rule of thumb that, while doing his research over the years, Arnold had found it to be the optimal weight and rep range for maximum growth. I think everyone on here can agree that eventually, regardless of your style or technique, things will have to be changed up to continue to see hypertrophy from working out.

    This is muscle and body science. Nothing is for sure. This is the one area that humans know least about. It is likely that a large portion of everything you say on here will one day be turned around and proved to be inaccurate, at least in certain scenarios. But still, I find it interesting that you challenge a hall of fame bodybuilder's experiences. And btw, Jay Cutler also believes close-grip works inner chest muscles. I'm not sure about what point you are getting at but who gives a crap. A pro bodybuilder and a hall-of-famer doesn't need your input on how he did it all wrong.

    3-5 reps doesn't tear my muscles to any great degree. Maybe it does for someone who is all natty and gets tired after a few sets...I dont know. 3-5 reps helps my CNS development to lift more, but it hasn't been effective at building muscle mass for me. So regardless of how true your statement is about lower reps building muscle, it doesn't hold true in my case.

    You're a smarta$% too and someone needs to tell you that. I took Physics for engineers last semester and could probably work calculus circles around 98% of the people I come in contact with...you might be one of those too. So I know what W is.

    In fact, I'm gonna leave and just go back to the Anabolics section where I belong. Too many people with a stick up their butts around here...

  5. Quote Originally Posted by TheHardOne View Post
    Let the penis measuring contest begin! haha

    Arnold was great in his time, he has some great facts, but not everything Arnold said was a fact.
    I have a massive penis - but to date it has done nothing to help me get big arms and a huge squat

  6. Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    First of all, no one said anything about "being set in stone". It's a general rule of thumb that, while doing his research over the years, Arnold had found it to be the optimal weight and rep range for maximum growth. I think everyone on here can agree that eventually, regardless of your style or technique, things will have to be changed up to continue to see hypertrophy from working out.

    This is muscle and body science. Nothing is for sure. This is the one area that humans know least about. It is likely that a large portion of everything you say on here will one day be turned around and proved to be inaccurate, at least in certain scenarios. But still, I find it interesting that you challenge a hall of fame bodybuilder's experiences. And btw, Jay Cutler also believes close-grip works inner chest muscles. I'm not sure about what point you are getting at but who gives a crap. A pro bodybuilder and a hall-of-famer doesn't need your input on how he did it all wrong.

    3-5 reps doesn't tear my muscles to any great degree. Maybe it does for someone who is all natty and gets tired after a few sets...I dont know. 3-5 reps helps my CNS development to lift more, but it hasn't been effective at building muscle mass for me. So regardless of how true your statement is about lower reps building muscle, it doesn't hold true in my case.

    You're a smarta$% too and someone needs to tell you that. I took Physics for engineers last semester and could probably work calculus circles around 98% of the people I come in contact with...you might be one of those too. So I know what W is.
    Lets keep this positive fellas haha

    Though I must say....I don't know anyone who uses 3-5 reps that has development like a bodybuilder. If their is please show me KingK0ng, actually doesn't Coach Christian T over at Tnation use more of a myofbrillar hypertrophy protocol using 3-5 reps on every exercise? I may be wrong.
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
    Changing Lives is what I crave.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBassGuy View Post
    I have a massive penis - but to date it has done nothing to help me get big arms and a huge squat
    Pics or its bull****

    lol jk
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
    Changing Lives is what I crave.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    This is muscle and body science. Nothing is for sure. This is the one area that humans know least about. It is likely that a large portion of everything you say on here will one day be turned around and proved to be inaccurate, at least in certain scenarios. But still, I find it interesting that you challenge a hall of fame bodybuilder's experiences. And btw, Jay Cutler also believes close-grip works inner chest muscles. I'm not sure about what point you are getting at but who gives a crap. A pro bodybuilder and a hall-of-famer doesn't need your input on how he did it all wrong.
    Then Jay Cutler needs to do some research too.

    There IS no "inner chest muscle". The chest and any one muscle at that is like a rubber band... a nonexistent muscle does not contract. You work the whole chest or no chest. There's no "isolation of fibers". The all or none principle proves this wrong.

    I don't care what they say. Their accomplishements in bodybuilder does not make them above physiology.

    3-5 reps doesn't tear my muscles to any great degree. Maybe it does for someone who is all natty and gets tired after a few sets...I dont know. 3-5 reps helps my CNS development to lift more, but it hasn't been effective at building muscle mass for me. So regardless of how true your statement is about lower reps building muscle, it doesn't hold true in my case.
    Your case? So you're suddenly different then every other human being that has walked this earth? How do you know 3-5 reps doesn't "tear" your muscles.

    Do you even know how hypertrophy is stimulated? What's the difference in 5x5 and 3x10. 5 reps? You're saying that extra 5 reps is going to determine whether someone gets big or not? That's pathetic.

    As long as contraction and recovery occurs, muscular hypertrophy is the result. It does not matter what rep range was used.

    You're a smarta$% too and someone needs to tell you that. I took Physics for engineers last semester and could probably work calculus circles around 98% of the people I come in contact with...you might be one of those too. So I know what W is.
    LOL...

    I have a bachelors of science in nursing, two personal training certificates, certified strength and conditioning specialist, as well as 2 semesters of exercise physiology. I dont' care what "physics" you took. Physiology cannot be argued.

    Myofibrillar hypertrophy is the thickest form of hypertrophy.

    Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is mainly fluid. (Higher rep training).

    I'm not a smart ass. I just back up what I say. I'm sorry you can't do the same. Go read some more physics books and work your inner chest or whatever.

    In fact, I'm gonna leave and just go back to the Anabolics section where I belong. Too many people with a stick up their butts around here...
    Right. Exactly where you need to be. In the steroid section where your friends Arnold and Jay was their entire prime.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS

  9. Quote Originally Posted by jbryand101b View Post
    Okay, I'll go get you some data, journal of strength and conditioning is full of it.

    Also with the calorie/rep thing, lets not get silly and play the "well, what if you" game.
    I'm going to neg some one red, I can feel it.
    Feel free to reply to what I said. I said absolutely nothing that should of offended you.

    You can neg me all day long. That doesn't bother me. Either throw up or put up.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS

  10. Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng

    The guidelines to whereas someone "should be" lifting are as follows.

    Squat: Weight x's 2
    Deadlift: Weight x's 2.5
    Bench Press: Weight x's 1.5
    Strict Press: Weight x's 1
    Power Clean: Weight x's 1.5
    Rep Squats: Rep your body weight 15 times
    Front Squat: Weight x's 1
    Snatch: Weight x's 1
    No where near theses numbers....... Damn I must be weak! Oh well, as long as I look like I can lift those numbers.
    •   
       


  11. Quote Originally Posted by 0071982WC View Post
    No where near theses numbers....... Damn I must be weak! Oh well, as long as I look like I can lift those numbers.
    I never said anyone was weak if they could not meet those numbers. Those are general guidelines throughout powerlifting. I am surprised most of you have never heard of them.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS

  12. Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    Then Jay Cutler needs to do some research too.

    There IS no "inner chest muscle". The chest and any one muscle at that is like a rubber band... a nonexistent muscle does not contract. You work the whole chest or no chest. There's no "isolation of fibers". The all or none principle proves this wrong.

    I don't care what they say. Their accomplishements in bodybuilder does not make them above physiology.



    Your case? So you're suddenly different then every other human being that has walked this earth? How do you know 3-5 reps doesn't "tear" your muscles.

    Do you even know how hypertrophy is stimulated? What's the difference in 5x5 and 3x10. 5 reps? You're saying that extra 5 reps is going to determine whether someone gets big or not? That's pathetic.

    As long as contraction and recovery occurs, muscular hypertrophy is the result. It does not matter what rep range was used.



    LOL...

    I have a bachelors of science in nursing, two personal training certificates, certified strength and conditioning specialist, as well as 2 semesters of exercise physiology. I dont' care what "physics" you took. Physiology cannot be argued.

    Myofibrillar hypertrophy is the thickest form of hypertrophy.

    Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is mainly fluid. (Higher rep training).

    I'm not a smart ass. I just back up what I say. I'm sorry you can't do the same. Go read some more physics books and work your inner chest or whatever.



    Right. Exactly where you need to be. In the steroid section where your friends Arnold and Jay was their entire prime.
    I think you need to clarify intensity levels before you go spouting off about low rep ranges really creating hypertrophy. 5X5 training is not a good supporting example of your argument since you've been talking about 3-5 reps but have not mentioned at all the pace and time in between sets. 5x5 is superset training and essentially makes 1 10 rep exercise out of two 5 rep exercises. Not to mention the 1 minute break in between each set which would have everything to do with muscle fatigue. But doing just 3 to 4 sets of 5 reps with a 2-3 minute break in between each set hasn't done crap for my in the past and I suspect it wont do anything for me in the future other than increase my CNS development.

    Let's not forget it was you that was the prideful one from the beginning so I feel it's definitely necessary that you defend yourself with credentials. Thank you for that. I have taken enough courses to know what Work is and I'm defending my credentials as well. I didn't come on here saying that I knew more than you. You came on here talking to me like I am uneducated. You came on here arguing against common knowledge about effective muscle building, which typically starts around 6 reps and goes up to 12-15 reps depending on the body part/type. Thanks for the info about the chest fibers, that was helpful but I feel you still missed my point. Did the fact that Arnold didn't have multiple degrees in the field and the fact that he didn't understand the chest fibers properly really keep him from having success building his physique? It didn't!

    He also mentions that his chest was a lagging muscle group at the beginning of his training, yet at the end of his training he could stand a cup on his upper chest. BTW, I have yet to read where he talked about inner chest development but I do know that Cutler made a statement about it some time ago.

    Yeah I can back up my claims but do I need to? Really? Do I have to go find the thousands of references regarding ideal rep ranges to experience the most effective hypertrophy? 8-12 rep range is common practice in fitness for mass building. 3-5 is not however. The other things I have said I did reference, they were individuals (Arnold and Jay). Otherwise the rest of my statements were merely comments like you being a smart aleck. I didnt think I needed to reference my own experiences and opinions...

  13. Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    I think you need to clarify intensity levels before you go spouting off about low rep ranges really creating hypertrophy. 5X5 training is not a good supporting example of your argument since you've been talking about 3-5 reps but have not mentioned at all the pace and time in between sets. 5x5 is superset training and essentially makes 1 10 rep exercise out of two 5 rep exercises. Not to mention the 1 minute break in between each set which would have everything to do with muscle fatigue. But doing just 3 to 4 sets of 5 reps with a 2-3 minute break in between each set hasn't done crap for my in the past and I suspect it wont do anything for me in the future other than increase my CNS development.
    You're usually vocabulary and you don't know the meaning. Intensity means % of 1RM.

    3-5 reps IS 5X5. I used 5X5 as an example of total volume, which wasn't mentioned in this theory you posted.

    Muscle fatigue is not the goal for muscular hypertrophy development. Progressive overload is the goal for muscular hypertrophy development. Your goal is to present the muscle with new tension each workout. You can do this through

    -increased weight
    -increased volume
    -increased exercises
    -increased tempo

    As long as contraction and recovery occurs, muscular hypertrophy can develop.

    Let's not forget it was you that was the prideful one from the beginning so I feel it's definitely necessary that you defend yourself with credentials. Thank you for that. I have taken enough courses to know what Work is and I'm defending my credentials as well. I didn't come on here saying that I knew more than you. You came on here talking to me like I am uneducated. You came on here arguing against common knowledge about effective muscle building, which typically starts around 6 reps and goes up to 12-15 reps depending on the body part/type. Thanks for the info about the chest fibers, that was helpful but I feel you still missed my point. Did the fact that Arnold didn't have multiple degrees in the field and the fact that he didn't understand the chest fibers properly really keep him from having success building his physique? It didn't!
    Effective muscle building starts at 6 reps? Hm, so the LBM gained on Bill Starrs 5X5, Mark Rippetoes Starting Strength routine, The Texas Method, and Westside are all flawed? How did their LBM gain?

    So if I perform 5X5, I won't gain muscle, but if I perform 5X6, I will? Do you see know how ridiculous that sounds?

    Arnold has success in the field because of his genetics, hard work in the gym, and anabolics. Even though his understanding of the human body is flawed, he still knew to bench press, squat, deadlift, and trained with full body routines.

    He also mentions that his chest was a lagging muscle group at the beginning of his training, yet at the end of his training he could stand a cup on his upper chest. BTW, I have yet to read where he talked about inner chest development but I do know that Cutler made a statement about it some time ago.
    There's no such thing as inner chest development. The pectoralis major is one muscle. A muscle contracts at a whole. One side of the muscle contracts, the other side contracts.

    Upper chest development is depended a lot on the two heads of the pectoralis major: clavicular head and sternal head.

    The clavicular head is near the clavicle and incline presses stimulated them to a better degree than flat presses. However, you still cannot isolate the nonexistent inner chest.

    Yeah I can back up my claims but do I need to? Really? Do I have to go find the thousands of references regarding ideal rep ranges to experience the most effective hypertrophy? 8-12 rep range is common practice in fitness for mass building. 3-5 is not however. The other things I have said I did reference, they were individuals (Arnold and Jay). Otherwise the rest of my statements were merely comments like you being a smart aleck. I didnt think I needed to reference my own experiences and opinions...
    [/quote]

    Rep range once again does not determine hypertrophy. Hypertrophy is gained with starting strength, but it is a lower rep program. The same thing with Starrs 5X5. Have you seen the legs on westside users? Their legs come from massive intensity (weight) low rep squats.

    Myofibrillar hypertrophy is best with low reps. Myofibrillar hypertrophy is the thickest form of hypertrophy.

    The 8-12 rep variable places muscles under longer TUT and TUT is only one variable to hypertrophy. TUT is not the most important variable for hypertrophy; recovery is.

    You gain strength and you gain weight. What happens? You gain muscle.

    I stuck with a low rep training routine for 7 months. My bench press jumped from 320lbs to 355lbs during this time period. My body weight increased from 205 to 215lbs and my bodyfat remained the same. What happened there? This was using Jim Wendlers 5/3/1.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS

  14. Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    I also forgot to add: how do I know to what degree my fibers tore? How about the searing pain and soreness the next 48 hours. No, it's not lactic acid that causes the pain the next day but you already know this. It's the torn muscle fibers. Lifting heavy for fewer reps doesn't do this for me. Going a bit lighter, having stricter form, and lifting enough reps to get bloodflow into the muscles does seem to cause growth for me however.
    You might want to do more research. Lactic acid buildup is the cause of immediate onset muscle soreness, which is the burn in high rep training.

    The soreness you're speaking of is delayed onset muscle soreness, which is the soreness 24 hours later.

    Scientists have never discovered why your body is sore the next day. The tears you are speaking of is only a theory.

    The most widely accepted theory is the eccentric phase to the lift. Eccentric refers to the phase of the lift in which the muscle is lengthening and moving with gravity (i.e. the down-phase to the bench press).

    It is not discovered what causes this.

    I can do reps with the bar all day long and get sore the next day, but nothing productive will come out of it.

    If you can prove that lifting 275 X 3 reps causes equal or greater amounts of bloodflow and fatigue to my muscles as 225 X 8-10 reps, I might consider what you are saying to be legitimate information. Prove it.
    The goal is not to fatigue muscles; it is to overload them.

    If you benched 275 x 2 last workout, then benched 275 x 3 this workout, you have officially overloaded the muscle.

    Both rep ranges can adequately build hypertrophy provided contraction and recovery has occurred.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS

  15. 10-4. I'll shut up. Perhaps you are right.

    I expect my instructors to cover this topic when I attempt to get my training degree.

    You were arguing for progressive overload this whole time and not rep ranges?

    Of course I agree that each workout needs to have progressive overload, but I just thought the ideal range (which has been a great success to me) is to stick with whatever I can do 8-15 reps. But as for each workout, I try to go heavier than the last. i agree completely on that.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    10-4. I'll shut up. Perhaps you are right.

    I expect my instructors to cover this topic when I attempt to get my training degree.
    It takes a man to admit another man is right.

    I applaud you for your respectful response.

    Reps.

    If you have any questions during your quest for your degree, I'll gladly help.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS

  17. I would like to see some bodybuilders or anyone in general that has a good amount of hypertrophy using 3-5 reps as his typical rep range. Drug talks aside of course.
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
    Changing Lives is what I crave.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by TheHardOne View Post
    I would like to see some bodybuilders or anyone in general that has a good amount of hypertrophy using 3-5 reps as his typical rep range. Drug talks aside of course.
    I mean i'd love to train with 3-5 reps, its just its never worked for me in the past even with my nutrition/supps being on point, and it always resulted in some kind of tendonitis of some sort, and have yet seen any great physiques built on 3-5 reps as their typical rep range. Though correct me if im wrong, Christian T over at Tnation typically uses low reps for his hypertrophy training? Even though myofibrillar hypertrophy has been shown to be best around 3-5 reps, reality has shown for most people it just gives them injuries and more so strength gains via strengthening CNS/connective tissue. My point is just I want to get inspired via seeing others develop muscular physique using low reps for hypertrophy, just really haven't seen it yet...
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
    Changing Lives is what I crave.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    Bench presses are not "power exercises" and neither are squats.

    Olympic lifts are power exercises.

    Power is work per unit of time.

    Myofibrillar hypertrophy is the thickest form and is stimulates better with low reps.
    power= force * distance/time

    work= force * distance

    bench press power exercise: bench throws, as well as clap push ups.

    squat power exercise: jump squat

    olympic lifts are power exercises as well.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by jbryand101b View Post
    power= force * distance/time
    Also

    Power = Force x Velocity

    Power = Strength x Speed



    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  21. Quote Originally Posted by jbryand101b View Post
    power= force * distance/time

    work= force * distance

    bench press power exercise: bench throws, as well as clap push ups.

    squat power exercise: jump squat

    olympic lifts are power exercises as well.
    I was in reference to barbell benching and regular back squats.

    The exercises you listed are variations, but they do indeed target specific power fibers.

    Explosiveness = power.

    Strength is the ability to generate force within a single contraction.

    Power is work per unit of time. (Speed strength).

    I would like to see some bodybuilders or anyone in general that has a good amount of hypertrophy using 3-5 reps as his typical rep range. Drug talks aside of course.


    Drugs have nothing to do with what rep range would work for someone. Anabolics increase your bodies ability to produce artificially enhanced testosterone, more efficient than regular testosterone at building muscle, and you have unlimited amounts - meaning you cannot overtrain your endocrine system. Drugs won't change what occurs with high or low reps.

    I mean i'd love to train with 3-5 reps, its just its never worked for me in the past even with my nutrition/supps being on point, and it always resulted in some kind of tendonitis of some sort, and have yet seen any great physiques built on 3-5 reps as their typical rep range. Though correct me if im wrong, Christian T over at Tnation typically uses low reps for his hypertrophy training? Even though myofibrillar hypertrophy has been shown to be best around 3-5 reps, reality has shown for most people it just gives them injuries and more so strength gains via strengthening CNS/connective tissue. My point is just I want to get inspired via seeing others develop muscular physique using low reps for hypertrophy, just really haven't seen it yet...


    Mark Rippetoe
    Bill Starr
    Louie Simmons
    Dave Tate
    Joe DeFranco
    Fred Hatfield
    Christian Thibaudeua
    John Cena

    Those are all examples of athletes / coaches that have had hundreds of clients gain LBM and specific hypertrophy with low reps.

    As long as contraction and recovery both occur, hypertrophy can result.

    Low reps do not cause injuries. Injuries are mainly caused by form issues. If someone is lifting with their ego and not their intelligence, then they will get injured and it doesn't matter if it's high or low reps.

    Look at lightweight powerlifters as an example of hypertrophy development in response to low reps.

    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS

  22. Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    Explosiveness = power.
    explosive strength is the ability to quickly initiate movement and continue for a period of time.

    power is the ability to display force quickly and is a product of force and velocity. (power = force x velocity)

    velocity is the actual speed of the movement

    Force = mass x acceleration

    Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    Strength is the ability to generate force within a single contraction.
    That is limit strength. There are various forms of strength such as, strength speed, speed strength, starting strength, explosive strength, relative strength and reactive strength

    Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    Power is work per unit of time. (Speed strength).
    Speed-strength = quickly moving minimal to no external load and is directly related to how neurological efficient you can excite fast twitch, high threshold motor units to perform an explosive movement. It is a combination of starting strength and explosive strength
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  23. Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    I was in reference to barbell benching and regular back squats.

    The exercises you listed are variations, but they do indeed target specific power fibers.

    Explosiveness = power.

    Strength is the ability to generate force within a single contraction.

    Power is work per unit of time. (Speed strength).



    Drugs have nothing to do with what rep range would work for someone. Anabolics increase your bodies ability to produce artificially enhanced testosterone, more efficient than regular testosterone at building muscle, and you have unlimited amounts - meaning you cannot overtrain your endocrine system. Drugs won't change what occurs with high or low reps.



    Mark Rippetoe
    Bill Starr
    Louie Simmons
    Dave Tate
    Joe DeFranco
    Fred Hatfield
    Christian Thibaudeua
    John Cena

    Those are all examples of athletes / coaches that have had hundreds of clients gain LBM and specific hypertrophy with low reps.

    As long as contraction and recovery both occur, hypertrophy can result.

    Low reps do not cause injuries. Injuries are mainly caused by form issues. If someone is lifting with their ego and not their intelligence, then they will get injured and it doesn't matter if it's high or low reps.

    Look at lightweight powerlifters as an example of hypertrophy development in response to low reps.

    Hell yeah thanks for the list KingK! Gonna study up on those badasses! Ive been following Christian Thibaudeua for awhile but not consistently, I started with Dave Tate/Joe Defranco but stopped digesting up their knowledge a while ago for some reason.

    And with low reps and injuries, sorry I wasn't that specific my fault, its just typically when someone uses 3-5 reps their form is usually not what it should be for their body structure, obviously a experienced trainee like Dave Tate would have his form specific and precise to his body structure. I would just hate to see a youngster rely on 3-5 reps on his heaviest sets when he's purely training for his ego, obviously he would have form issues. And that person falls in the range of....95 percent of people you see in the gym....common you know it, we all know, most kids/athletes in the gym are just training to fulfill their ego. Its that 5 percent that know what they are doing and make a success out of it in life, like a John Cena for example.

    And I know what anabolics do, I just didn't want this thread to be a debate on why pro bodybuilders use 10-15 reps and then saying its because they use drugs being the number 1 reason.

    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
    Changing Lives is what I crave.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by TheHardOne View Post
    Hell yeah thanks for the list KingK! Gonna study up on those badasses! Ive been following Christian Thibaudeua for awhile but not consistently, I started with Dave Tate/Joe Defranco but stopped digesting up their knowledge a while ago for some reason.

    And with low reps and injuries, sorry I wasn't that specific my fault, its just typically when someone uses 3-5 reps their form is usually not what it should be for their body structure, obviously a experienced trainee like Dave Tate would have his form specific and precise to his body structure. I would just hate to see a youngster rely on 3-5 reps on his heaviest sets when he's purely training for his ego, obviously he would have form issues. And that person falls in the range of....95 percent of people you see in the gym....common you know it, we all know, most kids/athletes in the gym are just training to fulfill their ego. Its that 5 percent that know what they are doing and make a success out of it in life, like a John Cena for example.

    And I know what anabolics do, I just didn't want this thread to be a debate on why pro bodybuilders use 10-15 reps and then saying its because they use drugs being the number 1 reason.

    I know what you meant when you said low reps and injury. Often when performing low reps, the person begins to lose their form. This is why you should start with light weight and let your CNS/PNS program the appropriate motor pattern.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS

  25. Ive only read the 1st few post so far... Im going to make my way through all 5 pages shortly because I have some questions to ask.
    "TheHardOne" had some good points from what I see on the 1st few pages.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Also

    Power = Force x Velocity

    Power = Strength x Speed



    smart ass.

  27. Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    Ive only read the 1st few post so far... Im going to make my way through all 5 pages shortly because I have some questions to ask.
    "TheHardOne" had some good points from what I see on the 1st few pages.
    Thank you, maybe humanity's intelligence may be on the verge of getting better after all eh? hehe
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
    Changing Lives is what I crave.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by jbryand101b View Post
    smart ass.

    Just adding to the conversation without getting involved in all the back and forth-ness. Didn't mean to come across as a smart ass or an attempt to correct your post but only add to it
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  29. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Just adding to the conversation without getting involved in all the back and forth-ness. Didn't mean to come across as a smart ass or an attempt to correct your post but only add to it
    i know, im just fuggin with ya. im done with the convo, the data based science has been long gone a while ago.

  30. Quote Originally Posted by jbryand101b View Post
    i know, im just fuggin with ya. im done with the convo, the data based science has been long gone a while ago.
    I know sometimes its hard to interput the tone of a post so was just making sure you didnt take it the wrong way.. I was just about to send you an e-card and flowers
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Best size building lifts....?
    By shortbutbig in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 05:12 AM
  2. Lifts I do that I seldom, if ever, see others do
    By Rodja in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 08:30 PM
  3. Going wide on certain lifts
    By KingMeso in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 10:44 AM
  4. BB Lifts....
    By Buff Bagwell in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 03:01 PM
  5. Any other lifts
    By blahblah192 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Log in
Log in