Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by jbryand101b View Post
    power= force * distance/time

work= force * distance

bench press power exercise: bench throws, as well as clap push ups.

squat power exercise: jump squat

olympic lifts are power exercises as well.
    I was in reference to barbell benching and regular back squats.

The exercises you listed are variations, but they do indeed target specific power fibers.

Explosiveness = power.

Strength is the ability to generate force within a single contraction.

Power is work per unit of time. (Speed strength).

I would like to see some bodybuilders or anyone in general that has a good amount of hypertrophy using 3-5 reps as his typical rep range. Drug talks aside of course.

Drugs have nothing to do with what rep range would work for someone. Anabolics increase your bodies ability to produce artificially enhanced testosterone, more efficient than regular testosterone at building muscle, and you have unlimited amounts - meaning you cannot overtrain your endocrine system. Drugs won't change what occurs with high or low reps.

I mean i'd love to train with 3-5 reps, its just its never worked for me in the past even with my nutrition/supps being on point, and it always resulted in some kind of tendonitis of some sort, and have yet seen any great physiques built on 3-5 reps as their typical rep range. Though correct me if im wrong, Christian T over at Tnation typically uses low reps for his hypertrophy training? Even though myofibrillar hypertrophy has been shown to be best around 3-5 reps, reality has shown for most people it just gives them injuries and more so strength gains via strengthening CNS/connective tissue. My point is just I want to get inspired via seeing others develop muscular physique using low reps for hypertrophy, just really haven't seen it yet...

Mark Rippetoe
    Bill Starr
    Louie Simmons
    Dave Tate
    Joe DeFranco
    Fred Hatfield
    Christian Thibaudeua
    John Cena

Those are all examples of athletes / coaches that have had hundreds of clients gain LBM and specific hypertrophy with low reps.

As long as contraction and recovery both occur, hypertrophy can result.

Low reps do not cause injuries. Injuries are mainly caused by form issues. If someone is lifting with their ego and not their intelligence, then they will get injured and it doesn't matter if it's high or low reps.

Look at lightweight powerlifters as an example of hypertrophy development in response to low reps.

Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS

2. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    Explosiveness = power.
    explosive strength is the ability to quickly initiate movement and continue for a period of time.

power is the ability to display force quickly and is a product of force and velocity. (power = force x velocity)

velocity is the actual speed of the movement

Force = mass x acceleration

That is limit strength. There are various forms of strength such as, strength speed, speed strength, starting strength, explosive strength, relative strength and reactive strength

Speed-strength = quickly moving minimal to no external load and is directly related to how neurological efficient you can excite fast twitch, high threshold motor units to perform an explosive movement. It is a combination of starting strength and explosive strength
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

I was in reference to barbell benching and regular back squats.

The exercises you listed are variations, but they do indeed target specific power fibers.

Explosiveness = power.

Drugs have nothing to do with what rep range would work for someone. Anabolics increase your bodies ability to produce artificially enhanced testosterone, more efficient than regular testosterone at building muscle, and you have unlimited amounts - meaning you cannot overtrain your endocrine system. Drugs won't change what occurs with high or low reps.

Mark Rippetoe
    Bill Starr
    Louie Simmons
    Dave Tate
    Joe DeFranco
    Fred Hatfield
    Christian Thibaudeua
    John Cena

Those are all examples of athletes / coaches that have had hundreds of clients gain LBM and specific hypertrophy with low reps.

As long as contraction and recovery both occur, hypertrophy can result.

Low reps do not cause injuries. Injuries are mainly caused by form issues. If someone is lifting with their ego and not their intelligence, then they will get injured and it doesn't matter if it's high or low reps.

Look at lightweight powerlifters as an example of hypertrophy development in response to low reps.

Hell yeah thanks for the list KingK! Gonna study up on those badasses! Ive been following Christian Thibaudeua for awhile but not consistently, I started with Dave Tate/Joe Defranco but stopped digesting up their knowledge a while ago for some reason.

And with low reps and injuries, sorry I wasn't that specific my fault, its just typically when someone uses 3-5 reps their form is usually not what it should be for their body structure, obviously a experienced trainee like Dave Tate would have his form specific and precise to his body structure. I would just hate to see a youngster rely on 3-5 reps on his heaviest sets when he's purely training for his ego, obviously he would have form issues. And that person falls in the range of....95 percent of people you see in the gym....common you know it, we all know, most kids/athletes in the gym are just training to fulfill their ego. Its that 5 percent that know what they are doing and make a success out of it in life, like a John Cena for example.

And I know what anabolics do, I just didn't want this thread to be a debate on why pro bodybuilders use 10-15 reps and then saying its because they use drugs being the number 1 reason.

*LG Sciences Board Rep*
    Changing Lives is what I crave.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by TheHardOne View Post
    Hell yeah thanks for the list KingK! Gonna study up on those badasses! Ive been following Christian Thibaudeua for awhile but not consistently, I started with Dave Tate/Joe Defranco but stopped digesting up their knowledge a while ago for some reason.

And with low reps and injuries, sorry I wasn't that specific my fault, its just typically when someone uses 3-5 reps their form is usually not what it should be for their body structure, obviously a experienced trainee like Dave Tate would have his form specific and precise to his body structure. I would just hate to see a youngster rely on 3-5 reps on his heaviest sets when he's purely training for his ego, obviously he would have form issues. And that person falls in the range of....95 percent of people you see in the gym....common you know it, we all know, most kids/athletes in the gym are just training to fulfill their ego. Its that 5 percent that know what they are doing and make a success out of it in life, like a John Cena for example.

And I know what anabolics do, I just didn't want this thread to be a debate on why pro bodybuilders use 10-15 reps and then saying its because they use drugs being the number 1 reason.

I know what you meant when you said low reps and injury. Often when performing low reps, the person begins to lose their form. This is why you should start with light weight and let your CNS/PNS program the appropriate motor pattern.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  5. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Ive only read the 1st few post so far... Im going to make my way through all 5 pages shortly because I have some questions to ask.
    "TheHardOne" had some good points from what I see on the 1st few pages.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  6. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Also

Power = Force x Velocity

Power = Strength x Speed

smart ass.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    Ive only read the 1st few post so far... Im going to make my way through all 5 pages shortly because I have some questions to ask.
    "TheHardOne" had some good points from what I see on the 1st few pages.
    Thank you, maybe humanity's intelligence may be on the verge of getting better after all eh? hehe
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
    Changing Lives is what I crave.
  8. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

smart ass.

Just adding to the conversation without getting involved in all the back and forth-ness. Didn't mean to come across as a smart ass or an attempt to correct your post but only add to it
  9. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Just adding to the conversation without getting involved in all the back and forth-ness. Didn't mean to come across as a smart ass or an attempt to correct your post but only add to it
    i know, im just fuggin with ya. im done with the convo, the data based science has been long gone a while ago.
  10. Pro Virili Parte

i know, im just fuggin with ya. im done with the convo, the data based science has been long gone a while ago.
    I know sometimes its hard to interput the tone of a post so was just making sure you didnt take it the wrong way.. I was just about to send you an e-card and flowers
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Dorian Yates is all about intensity, too. I'm following one of his routines right now actually and I haven't been this sore in a long, long time...
    Big fan of Yates, who went along with the teachings of Mentzer but added his own flavor! Dorians recipe for mass and power is unmatched if you ask me...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best size building lifts....?
    By shortbutbig in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 03:12 AM
  2. Lifts I do that I seldom, if ever, see others do
    By Rodja in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 06:30 PM
  3. Going wide on certain lifts
    By KingMeso in forum Training Forum