Layne Nortons Progress 15 to 28

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
Came across these pics of layne cruising around the net, thought id post them up for those that mightn't have seen them before.

I posted these in my journal, but I thought it might be good for some younger guys to see. There is so much out there about what can be achieved, what can't be achieved. What is possible and what isn't. To be clear, I have nothing against guys that choose to use steroids, I still got a lot of respect and even friends who choose to use steroids and so long as they are competing in untested shows, I've got no problem with that. It's just something I've chosen not to do. Not on a high horse, just this has been my path I've chosen to walk. I see around various places anytime anyone posts pictures of someone who is impressive in anyway, people automatically become accusatory. But most of these people cannot possibly understand what it's like to put in a decade + of consistent, hard work, on diet and nutrition. So I have posted pictures of me starting at age 15 so maybe you can get an idea of someone who isn't a genetic freak, what they can do when they put their mind to it.[/FONT]

So without further adieu

Age 15: just started lifting

When I hit 16 I took about a year where I didn't lift (first girlfriend) but got back into it at age 17 and this is a picture at 18 years old after I'd been after it for about a year, starting to get a good upper body but still had zero legs

At age 19 I did my first show, won the teen class and the men's novice tall class

Then these are pictures from age 20 and my 2nd series of shows

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
After that 2nd series of shows I suffered 2 bulging discs from a hit i sustained during a rugby game and took a year off to recover before I competed again in 2004. This is where I saw the biggest jump in my physique as it was at that point I switched to really focussing on squats and deadlifts and also started doing the first semblence of what would become my power/hypertrophy split where I worked everything 2x/week, and that made a huge difference in my physique.

so these are from my shows in 2004 at age 22, still a lot of work left to be done, but you can see my physique maturing

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
After these series of shows I took another 2 years off to really focus on getting better and try to win my natural pro card. In 2006 I won my pro card at age 24 and again, you can see the physique building upon my look in 2004 with improvements in back & legs

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
I then took 4 years off to finish my PhD in nutritional sciences and to rehab a pec tear I needed surgery on in 2008. During this time I focussed on my legs and back and actually competed in powerlifting, squatting 585 lbs and deadlifting 700 lbs raw in competition at 220 lbs. I took the stage in 2010 finally to make my pro debut, finished top 5 in all my first pro shows including winning the heavyweight class at the IFPA International.

Just thought I'd show you guys what can be done when you absolutely kill it for a decade... even if you aren't a genetic freak

Hope you guys enjoyed this and find it helpful

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That is an incredible story, and remarkable progress. Very inspirational and respectable for what can be accomplished! :cheers:

Thanks for sharing:)

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Layne is the man! So much dedication and effort.
Thanks for the pics!

laserbluess

Awards
  • Established
first off, amazing progress and success. good job and good luck in the future! but i have to say, the contrast from the pro-tan and your face make it look like your head is photoshopped on lol. i know its not, but its just a striking difference. again though, great job! very inspirational and motivating.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very nice. It's very cool actually to observe your back and legs come in throughout the years. But I gotta say it kind of seems like you had great arms and delts early in your lifting career (18). I wish my delts weren't such a weak point. Oh well, 1.5 years into training (4 counting from when I first set foot in a gym), so maybe in time ... :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The most impressive part of this to me is that he did all of that while still in school working on an advanced degree. I know he took some time off from competing, but that time allowed the muscle to mature and to take extended time to properly rehab the pec (not mention setting a 220lb deadlift record).

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The most impressive part of this to me is that he did all of that while still in school working on an advanced degree. I know he took some time off from competing, but that time allowed the muscle to mature and to take extended time to properly rehab the pec (not mention setting a 220lb deadlift record).
True!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Layne is the man.

I got excited for a second and thought it was him who'd posted that, haha.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lane has been my tool for inspiring my 20yr old son to stay the course of natural lifting. So far so good. He is about 5'10" at 213 lbs(12% BF) with 29" quads and squats 405 for reps of 6. His legs have always been easy for him. The upper body is another story. He too is in school fulltime and working and struggles to keep a solid schedule of lifting. There needs to be more stories like Lane's out there for these young kids!

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
Layne is the man.

I got excited for a second and thought it was him who'd posted that, haha.
kinda thought you did hahaha, i wish m8, i wish!!!