Lifting for gains

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

1. see, i used to do bodybuilding splits, but i never saw real growth from them. only definition. when i cut, ill throw them into the mix, but the rest of the year i only train for about 50 minutes. either DC or my own 4 day split.

i used to be so against three day workouts, but if you do them right, the rest can be so beneficial. i love it
    BPS Representative

2. Quote Originally Posted by Big boy D

I work out for about two hours now. I do one body part for the most part. I hit up other parts that I want to pump during the work out super set stuff,. Have you been lifting for a long time?
    This is most likely ur problem with growing. U can't be hitting one body part for 2 hours a day. Thats way over training and I'm surprised you haven't had an injury. Also cortisol is realesed after about an hour after working and this prevents muscle growth. Limit your workouts to about 45 min to an hour especially with one body part.
    •   

3. IMO I feel like you have to lift as heavy as possible for the 6-8 rep range to illicit results. I can increase actual muscle size a bit with higher reps like 10-12 however I see biggest gains at lower reps with heavier weight. My thoughts are are the same as Ronnie Coleman's "Everybody want to be a bodybuilder, but ain't nobody want to lift no heavy ass weight." Although I think this is the case for the majority of people I also know there are some who respond better to volume. Mainly I guess what ever creates hypertrophy in the muscle is good and time under stress. just my 2 cents.

4. everybody responds to different rep ranges. i respond best, for muscle growth, around 8 - 10 reps.
    BPS Representative

5. Quote Originally Posted by R1balla
    everybody responds to different rep ranges. i respond best, for muscle growth, around 8 - 10 reps.
    How do you figure out what you respond to best. It seems impossible to actually be able to tell
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by cg123 View Post
    How do you figure out what you respond to best. It seems impossible to actually be able to tell
    lift in low rep ranges with a steady bulking diet for around 3 months, taking measurements, tracking weight, and logging lift increases. Then lift high rep ranges and for 3 months and compare.

7. I find that lifting heavy weight as many times as I can until failure, absolutely destroys my muscles to ensure huge gains. Just make sure rest is part of your split, it's vital.

8. Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    see, i used to do bodybuilding splits, but i never saw real growth from them. only definition. when i cut, ill throw them into the mix, but the rest of the year i only train for about 50 minutes. either DC or my own 4 day split.

i used to be so against three day workouts, but if you do them right, the rest can be so beneficial. i love it
    Definitely, once you find out what works the best it's pretty smooth sailing (except all the blood sweat and tears haha) The main thing is experimenting!

Quote Originally Posted by cg123 View Post
    This is most likely ur problem with growing. U can't be hitting one body part for 2 hours a day. Thats way over training and I'm surprised you haven't had an injury. Also cortisol is realesed after about an hour after working and this prevents muscle growth. Limit your workouts to about 45 min to an hour especially with one body part.
    That's verryyy subjective, maybe for a complete beginner who has never lifted. I do 3 hour sessions of lifting heavy for squats/deadlifts/bench in 1 workout for 3-4 sets each and still left the gym feeling awesome, In fact I've made better gains training that way. So you are right, but it does depend on your muscular conditioning. It's all about how much training your body allows you to RECOVER from. Some people can get away with training every day with 1-2 days off a week. Problem is, is that most people are limiting themselves to this 45 minute rule.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewStone16 View Post
    I find that lifting heavy weight as many times as I can until failure, absolutely destroys my muscles to ensure huge gains. Just make sure rest is part of your split, it's vital.
    100% agree with this, main thing is to notice when you need a few days off as well. Some days i'll just feel like i'm dragging ass. Then i'll take 2 straight days off and consume higher calories. Once you recognize this pattern then you ensure you'll always get max gains because you'll always be progressing. High reps definitely work to (12-20) the trick is to FAIL at 20 reps or so, HUGEEE burn/pump but i usually stretch after getting the pump to stretch the fascia like in DC.
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me

9. Ok! I looked into the DC work out a bit. What's the scoop? Save me some time!! What's the work out that you do guys? Like I said I'm 260 6'2" with a body fat of let's say 19. I want to get beastly!! It sounds Like this DC would be good for me. And yes that's my pic up there, I am already kinda beastly, but I want to get BEASTLY!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Big boy D View Post
    Ok! I looked into the DC work out a bit. What's the scoop? Save me some time!! What's the work out that you do guys? Like I said I'm 260 6'2" with a body fat of let's say 19. I want to get beastly!! It sounds Like this DC would be good for me. And yes that's my pic up there, I am already kinda beastly, but I want to get BEASTLY!
    Here's EVERYTHING you need to know about DC training!

http://dc-training.blogspot.com/
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me

11. I grew pretty well with the "typical" bodypart split, although my exercise selection was modeled a lot like westside. The exception was that I stalled pretty hard with squats after a point, and it was only after I switched to DC that I saw my squat go up again.

I think one of the biggest problems I see in people's routines is when they deadlift for high reps, and the weight they're using is like sub 300 (arbitrarily picking 300 for a minute). Like if you're doing 225 for sets of 12, you need to stop bothering with that weight and start using heavy ass weight - relative to YOU - for low reps until you can handle serious weight. The deadlift is such a great mass builder, why waste it with light weight? And 225 is light weight for anyone, sorry. I could "deadlift" 225 totally untrained (back when I benched and squatted 95, lol).

12. Quote Originally Posted by tilldeath View Post
    lift in low rep ranges with a steady bulking diet for around 3 months, taking measurements, tracking weight, and logging lift increases. Then lift high rep ranges and for 3 months and compare.
    Such an on-point suggestion. Listen to this guy. Also, don't forget to experiment with rep/set ranges in between.

I think a good rule of thumb is to use lower rep ranges for compound movements, higher rep ranges for isolation movements. But try different things out, but make sure to give whatever programming you chose a decent amount of time to see results before passing judgment. Like don't do 5/3/1 for 8 weeks and then say "****, my 1RM only went up 5lbs, forget this program."

P.S. don't do 5/3/1 if you're a beginner, though LOL. It's slow gains, and it's honestly best for people with advanced totals.

13. How effective are the dips, pull ups, push ups do you guys think?

Most guys I know that do that are lean and have that dial shower comical in shape look
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

14. Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    How effective are the dips, pull ups, push ups do you guys think?

Most guys I know that do that are lean and have that dial shower comical in shape look
    The first two are honestly awesome. The third can be good, but is largely unnecessary if you're comfortable doing bench presses (Zir Red likes push-ups for various reasons; I'm not sure they're at all necessary for a decent program though).

15. Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia
    The first two are honestly awesome. The third can be good, but is largely unnecessary if you're comfortable doing bench presses (Zir Red likes push-ups for various reasons; I'm not sure they're at all necessary for a decent program though).
    Dips hits the chest, tris and core.
    Pull ups the back and Bis and push ups chest and shoulders....

Almost do that stuff at home and hit legs later on at the gym...

Wonder what the outcome of that would be if ppl did body weight exercises and used weights either very minimally or not at all...
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

16. i switch up rep ranges every week.

figure hit different muscle fibers stimulate all tissue, get full growth.

been working well.

much better shape to the mscle bellies

17. I want to add some of my experiences.

Im 20 years old and 1.70m and 82 kg. Im lifting for 4 years. 3 months ago I decided to change all my workout routine and nutrition. Before that I always workout like to kill myself With the new type, Im doing so much work. 5 days a week.

monday: chest-back-abs
    tuesday: delts- arms
    wednesday: legs
    thursay: rest
    friday chest-back
    saturday: delts-arms
    sunday rest

this is my routine. For the first 3 days routine is general hit training. 1-2 min rest and 4-12 reps. Deadlift and squats are more less reps like 1-3. After thursday, at the second period, im using hiit kind of training. Like giant sets, superset or Steve Kuclo's crazy 8(everybody part once a month).

Before this routine i was 79kg and maybe bf % is more than 15. Now im lower than that, maybe %12-13 and 82kg without any cardio. And im eating like a monster. Everyday 10 eggs, 1 kg red meat, 200-250gr oat, brocoli, protein powder and bcaa. Before this routine and eating i was thinking that i reached my max level and i cant add muscle without injections. But i just chanced everything and its like a recreate myself.

note: sorry about grammer mistakes

18. Quote Originally Posted by draft91
    I want to add some of my experiences.

Im 20 years old and 1.70m and 82 kg. Im lifting for 4 years. 3 months ago I decided to change all my workout routine and nutrition. Before that I always workout like to kill myself With the new type, Im doing so much work. 5 days a week.

monday: chest-back-abs
    tuesday: delts- arms
    wednesday: legs
    thursay: rest
    friday chest-back
    saturday: delts-arms
    sunday rest

this is my routine. For the first 3 days routine is general hit training. 1-2 min rest and 4-12 reps. Deadlift and squats are more less reps like 1-3. After thursday, at the second period, im using hiit kind of training. Like giant sets, superset or Steve Kuclo's crazy 8(everybody part once a month).

Before this routine i was 79kg and maybe bf % is more than 15. Now im lower than that, maybe %12-13 and 82kg without any cardio. And im eating like a monster. Everyday 10 eggs, 1 kg red meat, 200-250gr oat, brocoli, protein powder and bcaa. Before this routine and eating i was thinking that i reached my max level and i cant add muscle without injections. But i just chanced everything and its like a recreate myself.

note: sorry about grammer mistakes
    Thanks for the post. So your saying you eat two pounds of red meat a day. Is that what you eat everyday? One more question. Are you doing this work out year round?

19. Yes im eating that much meat everyday. But not chicken or turkey just red meat. And im doing this workout for 3 months and i want to keep it till summer. Because it is working so amazing for me. I really suggest this workout routine but you have check for overtraining. Sometimes drop the numbers of movements or sets. And stop doing cardio

20. Dude! Write down what you eat in a day. That's 15 pounds of red meat a week bro! Not just meat, red meat. That can't be healthy. 15 pounds! Bro I am starting to think your full of it. I hope your buying all natural meat. I could prob eat that much a day but I would think I would get backed up.... idk sounds a bit to much.

21. Big Boy D, i went to doctor to ask about nutritions about genetic predisposition. I got diggestive problems with chicken and turkey. I can easly diggest fish and meat faster than chicken and turkey. For that reason im eating a lot. And i know its look so much but it is working. My ancestors are nomad and i think this is effect my genetics like that.
    I want to add last week i went to check up for everything because my family thing that i got some problems. I got my results 4 days ago and im really perfect Im still eating 2 pound meat everyday. My blood analisis are so good Just try this nutrition plan for 2 weeks, if you dont like it you can change it.

22. Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    I got a program that trains 3 days a week...

Shoulders & Legs
    Chest and Tris
    Back & Bis.

Keep moving fast and get it done quick.

Everything works differently for every person.

I like that routine because, 1)I work a lot so 3 days is a nice time saver for me.
    2) full body work outs are exhausting to me, just can't seem to get it done & part of it is because I usually hit a few more reps/exercises and it gets me tired quicker and I usually want to be out in under an hour. 3) the 5/6 day a week 1 muscle group deal doesn't work if for people that don't absolutely destroy that muscle group, basically the gains take longer to come I think personally.

What I posted above is 1 day followed by 2 days off.... It's easy if u want to carb up or fast and/or get cardio and abs in on the off days so I think people need to try many styles and routines and see what fits them best.

I just switched to the same routine a week ago,totally stimulated my muscles. I am sore in places I have not been sore in quite awhile, and I can feel the density changing. I don't take the two days off like OP, but I do hit it hard and get my fair share of rest. The change was like a breath of life. I definitly feel like it was plateau buster.

23. Quote Originally Posted by draft91
    Big Boy D, i went to doctor to ask about nutritions about genetic predisposition. I got diggestive problems with chicken and turkey. I can easly diggest fish and meat faster than chicken and turkey. For that reason im eating a lot. And i know its look so much but it is working. My ancestors are nomad and i think this is effect my genetics like that.
    I want to add last week i went to check up for everything because my family thing that i got some problems. I got my results 4 days ago and im really perfect Im still eating 2 pound meat everyday. My blood analisis are so good Just try this nutrition plan for 2 weeks, if you dont like it you can change it.
    That's funny I can't eat a lot of red meat. It binds me up and gives me gas bad. I eat mostly chicken,fish, Greek yogurt. I put red meat in once or twice a week.

24. Quote Originally Posted by GTB

I just switched to the same routine a week ago,totally stimulated my muscles. I am sore in places I have not been sore in quite awhile, and I can feel the density changing. I don't take the two days off like OP, but I do hit it hard and get my fair share of rest. The change was like a breath of life. I definitly feel like it was plateau buster.
    Right.
    I switched again to 4 days a week/ upper and lower body. I think I will switch back to this 3 day a week....

Where did u locate this routine GTB?

25. Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    Right.
    I switched again to 4 days a week/ upper and lower body. I think I will switch back to this 3 day a week....

Where did u locate this routine GTB?
    It was on a forum somewhere. I am a firm believe in muscle confusuion. I try to change things up every 5-6 weeks. Nothing original, I just pick things up from guys at the gym, I read all the time.I am older so I am into isolation exercises right now to start ourt my workouts. I just started doing spider curls to get blood to my biceps, and they are blowing up. I switch up high/low reps each week and I Cucle each exercise so that I can hit it first once a week.
    I did Chest/tri's tonight.
    Incline db flys 3/15 50lbs
    wide grip flat bench,3/30 155 lbs
    incline db3/15 50lbs. I only have 50lbs dbs at home. I go heavy at the gym 85lbs 3/8

Tri's
    Rope pull downs 1/20 40lbs 3 /15 60lbs
    Incline skull crushers(easier on the elbows) 3/8 95 lbs
    Kick backs 3/15 30lbs.

I'll rotate exercises next week. I am open to suggestions, and wehatever has worked for you. I am here to learn

26. By no means am I a big guy, but here is what has been working for me lately. I do 4 a week, two way split:

Monday: Back and Biceps (squat)
    Tuesday: Chest, Triceps, and Shoulders
    Wednesday: Off
    Thursday: Back and Biceps (deadlift)
    Friday: Chest, Triceps, and Shoulders
    Saturday: Off
    Sunday: Off

I Try to keep my reps in the 6-8 range, but I try to beat my previous workout and work my reps up to 10-12 at which point I add weight which makes my reps drop back to the 6-8 range.
    For some reason, I do not recover well between sets so I take 30-60 sec rest, reduce the weight a little and go again to hit my rep ranges. Squats and Deadlifts take loner rest.

What I have been thinking of changing is doing high reps, 10-12 range with lighter weight on Monday and Tuesday and heavier lower reps, 6-8 on Thursday and Friday. I may make that adjustment in February.

Peviously I was doing the same split but doing Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I had major drop when I switched to 4 times a week, but recovered and back on track.

27. Quote Originally Posted by fadi
    By no means am I a big guy, but here is what has been working for me lately. I do 4 a week, two way split:

Monday: Back and Biceps (squat)
    Tuesday: Chest, Triceps, and Shoulders
    Wednesday: Off
    Thursday: Back and Biceps (deadlift)
    Friday: Chest, Triceps, and Shoulders
    Saturday: Off
    Sunday: Off

I Try to keep my reps in the 6-8 range, but I try to beat my previous workout and work my reps up to 10-12 at which point I add weight which makes my reps drop back to the 6-8 range.
    For some reason, I do not recover well between sets so I take 30-60 sec rest, reduce the weight a little and go again to hit my rep ranges. Squats and Deadlifts take loner rest.

What I have been thinking of changing is doing high reps, 10-12 range with lighter weight on Monday and Tuesday and heavier lower reps, 6-8 on Thursday and Friday. I may make that adjustment in February.

Peviously I was doing the same split but doing Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I had major drop when I switched to 4 times a week, but recovered and back on track.
    That's what I would like to know.
    Some people say the same muscle twice a week is too much...

Some do not. I see u hit it twice a week what's your theory?

28. Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    That's what I would like to know.

Some do not. I see u hit it twice a week what's your theory?
    Power lifters lift multiple times a week. 5x5 programs are full body workouts 3 times a week. DC training is twice in 9 days I believe. Lyne Norton has two way split and 2 days power.
    Training each body part more than once a week is fine. The problem is that you cannot do as many sets for each body part that you would if training once a week. But doing the big compound moves will add mass all over, and you add accessories to the remaining parts.

My routine started as a DC training routine, but as I experimented with exercises, weights, rest, reps, and sets I am finding what is working for me. I still have questions and things I need to figure out, but working on them. Right now I am concentrating on form and tempo trying to get the most from each rep.

29. [QUOTE=AaronJP1;3154747]That's what I would like to know.

Some do not. I see u hit it twice a week what's your theory?[/QUOTE

I do not hit one body part with same w/o twice in a week. I am yet to see the benefits of that type of routine. I usually hit each body parts once every five days or so.

30. Quote Originally Posted by fadi

Power lifters lift multiple times a week. 5x5 programs are full body workouts 3 times a week. DC training is twice in 9 days I believe. Lyne Norton has two way split and 2 days power.
    Training each body part more than once a week is fine. The problem is that you cannot do as many sets for each body part that you would if training once a week. But doing the big compound moves will add mass all over, and you add accessories to the remaining parts.

My routine started as a DC training routine, but as I experimented with exercises, weights, rest, reps, and sets I am finding what is working for me. I still have questions and things I need to figure out, but working on them. Right now I am concentrating on form and tempo trying to get the most from each rep.
    I am going to do the DC workout. I have looked into it a little. It seams like a good way to really build your body up. Any suggestions? I am doing the four day split. I have been jumping around workouts for the last two months trying to find something I like. I think this is it. Do you still use the base theory behind dc or did you just more or less go out on your own?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 73
    Last Post: 10-07-2014, 04:30 PM
  2. Controlled Labs Golden Gains... Let the gains start coming!
    By TexasLifter89 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 05:13 PM
  3. strenght gains without musclegain...lost gains?
    By houston1 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-23-2009, 02:14 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 10:20 AM
  5. Lifting at night slowing gains?
    By Rage (SoCal) in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-22-2006, 01:10 AM