Lifting for gains

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. New Member
    SkItZoId's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    542
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    27.66%

    I like to mix it up.

    I'll weight train for 5 days a week in a cycle that its muscle groups with compounds twice a week. I.e mon-chest tues-arms wedn-legs thurs-back fri-chest sat-cardio sun-cardio then monday-arms tuesday-legs wed-back thurs-chest friday-arms sat-cardio sund-cardio. So each week also a certain muscle group only gets a 4 day rest and this cycles around groups each week. I work in the rep range of 8-12 After a few weeks of doing this my body feels like it going to fall apart, then I switch to doing 3 days a week, for example, monday- back and arms wednesday- chest and tris then friday legs. During the 3 day a week period I chill a little on the cardio too and concertrate on very heavy weights and reps in the range of 5-8.

    I will repeat the 3 day fir two weeks, building the cardio right back up then move back to 5 days a week with higher volume.

    Ive been doing this for about six months now and it works really well for me.
    so

  2. New Member
    Big boy D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    272
    Rep Power
    20592
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

    That. Sounds like a good routine. You are keeping a cycle going but changing it up. Did you come up with this style on your own? If I read it right you have only weight lifted for six months? I have been working out off and on for years. I couldn't come up with that routine. Good job. Well thought out. I would just say, going longer then a couple weeks on you load cycle and a few more on your active recovery cycle might make that ideal. Like 10 weeks on the five day and 8 on the three. Or the other way around. I say ten because you could cycle through the five day twice. I say 8 for the three day because you want to build mass, right? I think if I was going to use this style I would make the 5 day my heavy work and the three my light.( active recovery is what I call it after a heavy run.then you could rip up more cardio on the tue and wen. Just thinking......so..... What do you think?
  3. New Member
    SkItZoId's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    542
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    27.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by Big boy D View Post
    That. Sounds like a good routine. You are keeping a cycle going but changing it up. Did you come up with this style on your own? If I read it right you have only weight lifted for six months? I have been working out off and on for years. I couldn't come up with that routine. Good job. Well thought out. I would just say, going longer then a couple weeks on you load cycle and a few more on your active recovery cycle might make that ideal. Like 10 weeks on the five day and 8 on the three. Or the other way around. I say ten because you could cycle through the five day twice. I say 8 for the three day because you want to build mass, right? I think if I was going to use this style I would make the 5 day my heavy work and the three my light.( active recovery is what I call it after a heavy run.then you could rip up more cardio on the tue and wen. Just thinking......so..... What do you think?
    Cheers for the input. I've been training for years, I've done many different routines in that time, some good some not so good lol. I did come up with this one myself. the principle is a routine where you build up volume then go into a heavy phase then into a recovery phaze. I think Im going to try your advice on spendind a period lifting light on the 3 day a week period to ensure recovery, I haven't tried that yet. The only reason I do things in two-three weel blocks is because during the volume phaze my joints actually start to hurt, I do alot of cardio on top of this so I think my body reaches a state of overtraining quite quickly.

    This last 6 months I think I have finally discovered a routine that works for me, its taken years lol. I've tried basic volume training, static training, heavy duty(Mike mentzer), max contraction, 5x5 and all sorts of mix ups of these. I think out of these the least produtive one was the max contraction and the most effective for results was 5x5 and basic volume training. Thats why Ive incorperated these two into my most recent routine.

    Again thanks for the input its great food for thought!
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    12,232
    Rep Power
    4582818
    Level
    91
    Lv. Percent
    32.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    its also dependent on how fast you recover. i LOVE 3x/week workouts like 5x5 and DC during my winter bulk. but cutting, recomping (even though sometimes i do DC and 5x5), i really do a 5 day BB split to hit every angle of the muscles. and reps dont matter IMO. as long as you always mix it up.
  5. New Member
    Gstyle24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    78274
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    12.13%

    Thumbs up


    Quote Originally Posted by bpclipper10 View Post
    Everyone responds differently depending on genetics. Some guys have what I call the 'freak' gene where they can work out 3 days and still have that swole and jacked look. This is the case with the guy I first started training with when I got to college. Kid was a monster no matter what we did, he was absolute animal looking. Very frustrating yet motivational when ur a frail freshmen like I was lol.

    This being said, through all my endeavors in the gym over the last 4 years as a serious lifter as a college athlete I'm still a firm believer in muscle confusion. Training for strength i feel goes hand in hand with hypertrophy. I started 4 years ago at 5' 9" 160lbs and that's generous. Redshirted first year so I committed to just building mass. I blasted hard for 8 weeks and would take a week of high rep at bout 30% of my 1rm. Then get back to it hard and repeated the process. I would use pyramid schemes and drop sets with training til failure and had a 4 on 1 off split. Used mainly grneric lifts and compound lifts like squats and cleans.I ate like a beast and blew up. Got up to bout 173lbs in 8 months or so and granted some was fat but my bf% never surpassed 12% throughout.

    The next couple of months I focused on my diet and strength gain. With compound lifts, extremity (bi's, tri's, calves, forearms) lifts, and core focus work. Would superset every major lift with a core exercise like toe touches, crunches, leg raises, planks. This really shredded Nd strengthened my full body because while activating my core in lifts, I was now focusing in on the abs an lower back a bit extra. Really shredded me up in the midsection. By the time I finished my sophomore year I was at 185lbs and 9% bf.

    Hit my junior season in the spring at 180lbs and 8%bf. really went back to my hypertrophy training with low rep heavy compound lifts to failure. Currently in my senior year and weighed in yesterday at 187lbs and 9% bf.

    Now with all this background rant...I digress, through my experiences with various trainers (one of which is former ny mets training staff and others that work with nfl guys) and my education in exercise science partially, I've learned that it's about muscle confusion through various splits, rep schemes, fast twitch slow twitch muscle training exercises and diet. IMO you must constantly change and alternate your workouts. As previously mentioned your muscles learn to adapt to exercises. Small variations in hand position or rotations, you can throw your muscle memory off enough to make gains. I try to change my muscle specific days weekly. If I hit chest on Monday and do incline press, and I do chest on Saturday I'll do incline flies instead of press or go to cable incline presses. Small changes like this can truly elevate your gains.

    In addition, if your a strength guy like I am as a baseball guy, I recommend creating 5 day split with focus on compound lifts superseted with core exercises like med ball throws and what not to develop power. (clean to press with med ball twist throws) 30-45 seconds rest max.

    If your looking for your size gains I recommend 4 day split with muscle concentration days with ab workouts 3 days a week. You'll see great gains in hypertrophy with the 5-8 rep range til failure. 1:00-1:30 rest be patient lol. Stay away from cardio exceeding 15 minutes. It can be catabolic to muscle growth.

    Remember though, recovery is key. You must be open to really committing to off days and a week thrown in here and there where you lower your weight and raise your reps. Allows your muscles to recover and at the same time still confusing them.

    Diet is another story And I could go on all night on that topic. Quick recommendation though, cut the crap food, stay away from fried stuff, red & white meats, stick to water (1.5-2 gallons/day) and eat like a beast.

    Eat clean, confuse your muscles, get creative, get 8 hours sleep, and mentally commit to your program and your goals and you will grow. Be patient. It's taken me 4 years to reach where I'm at now and I'm not content (but them again who ever is) It's taken countless guys years and decades to reach their goals. Work hard and believe in yourself and don't compare to others, your not competing against anyone except yourself. Take it one workout at a time and kill every one!

    Disclaimer: I'm no professional in any field and only speak to my personal experiences and education. I'm just another guy trying to lend a hand to someone asking for help in this quest for beastlyness.

    Enjoy the journey and never stop learning and adapting. Good luck man! Hope I helped and apologize for my long and unnecessary story. Hope some of it made sense.

    *END Rant*
    nice post
  6. Advanced Member
    bpclipper10's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    585
    Rep Power
    129390
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    52.86%

    Quote Originally Posted by Gstyle24 View Post
    nice post
    thanks man, just trying to help this guy out. hope it helps someone lol
  7. New Member
    Big boy D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    272
    Rep Power
    20592
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

    Sry guys! I had a baby! Well she had the baby but you know what's up.
    Dude that last post was crazy! As soon as things settle down around here I am going to focus back onto my routine. I have been just doing 3-4 sets8-12 reps reg work out. The last couple post were great thanks!
    If anyone has a few more ideas , please write. Big D
  8. Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    12,232
    Rep Power
    4582818
    Level
    91
    Lv. Percent
    32.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    when i do a 4 day split, i go 4-6 reps, 4 sets (heavy) on compound lifts. everything else i say 10 - 15 reps. i rotate my 4 day split with 5x5, DC and another 4 day split i do. i hate full body workouts though. i shrink when i do them. have tried them many times. just not for me.
  9. New Member
    Big boy D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    272
    Rep Power
    20592
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

    I need to check out this DC work out. I have no idea. Under a rock in Portland ME. I am doing one body part a day right now. I take my days off when I feel I need it. I have always worked 8-15 reps on most of my work outs. Work up my weight. It's good but not having the heavy muscle look. I'm good size tho at 260 6'2. I want to get beastly. Well rounded shoulders and ****. Maybe this DC thing will work.
  10. New Member
    Turnitup122's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    170
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    18.43%

    Quote Originally Posted by Big boy D
    I need to check out this DC work out. I have no idea. Under a rock in Portland ME. I am doing one body part a day right now. I take my days off when I feel I need it. I have always worked 8-15 reps on most of my work outs. Work up my weight. It's good but not having the heavy muscle look. I'm good size tho at 260 6'2. I want to get beastly. Well rounded shoulders and ****. Maybe this DC thing will work.
    260 6'2 and you want to get beastly?! **** I wish I was u
    you can lead a man to knowledge, but you cant make him think.
  11. New Member
    Big boy D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    272
    Rep Power
    20592
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

    The weird thing is that in some ways I wish I was you. I don't know what you look like like but I will assume smaller framed. I wish I could have the cut full but sleek look. I am just big. Bigger then most. With my size in order for me to have that sleek look I need to get the muscle really big. Harder to sustain then a guy 60 pounds lighter. When I do diet and hit the gym hard I look great but if I screw up my routine for anything over a week, week an a half. I go down hill fast. It's nice being big, but it is costly in more then just money. I feel the smaller framed guys don't pack on the weight like a big framed guy(fat+muscle). But the weight they do pack on is kept better by the smaller framed guys. Idk
  12. Professional Member
    thetinyguy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,184
    Rep Power
    14642
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    63.4%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Ok since i feel i'm a prime candidate for the subject of "over-training" i'll shed some of my experience with it to help you out!

    First off, i don't believe you can over-train entirely BUT there is a point where you will need a few days off to recover/grow. ANYWAYS i have been busting the crap out of this "myth" for the past 5 months. I believe that with the intensity of the training reflects how much more you should be eating to FUEL yourself and the increased metabolism resulted from more frequent/longer training sessions.
    Currently i train Full body 3-4x a week like this.

    Day 1: Full Body (Chest/Back PRIORITIZED) That means i start with chest/back.
    Day 2. OFF completely
    Day 3: Full Body (Legs PRIORITIZED)
    Day 4: OFF completely
    Day 5: Full Body (Shoulders/Arms PRIORITIZED)
    Day 6: OFF completely
    Day 7: Either OFF depending on how i feel or i will do weak point training PRIORITIZED along with full body

    Sessions average approximately 3 hours and i consume a BCAA/Carb drink (like Size-On or something of the sort)
    I also consume around 1-1.5 gallons of water and have energy through the entire session (99% of the time)
    After a few weeks (being around 3-4) i may take a few extra rest days and consume higher calories.

    You can doubt this training all you want but there's a reason why the guys back in the day trained this way for a few reasons i can think of being:
    1. Burning more calories (Less reliance on boring cardio)
    2. Better cardiovascular conditioning (this is due to super-setting two different exercises for different muscles and taking minimal rest)
    3. Faster strength and size gains (Depending on your calorie intake VERY IMPORTANT)
    4. More practice with exercise movements.
    5. Improved Muscular conditioning.

    These are the effects I HAVE experienced, the biggest determining factor that will also determine your progress is the CALORIES. (The highest point i was taking in 6-7k calories for a few days then dropping back down to 5-6k) You cannot eat like a RABBIT and train this way effectively! Who knows though this may work for some and others may not work so well but it will almost always boil down to intake of food. Also when you start feeling very run down through sessions is the point where i would take a few days off until you feel 100%.

    Here's my older training log: thetinyguy's ALL OUT training log!! *CAUTION OVERTRAINING*

    When i first began trying to gain weight i made 2 choices: To train as hard as i possibly could and to eat as MUCH as i possibly could. I believe in high calorie/super high intensity training. During that period i trained 3 hours with a Chest/Back, Legs, Shoulders/Arms split and it worked really well i went from 170-240lbs over a winter and proved to myself what i was capable of. I went of the beaten path and tried something that seems to have been buried in the modern training world. Arnold and the golden era guys trained that way for a reason.

    Hope this helps you out man! Impossible is nothing and anything is achievable.
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me
  13. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    AaronJP1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    18,810
    Rep Power
    3734734
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    19.96%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    I got a program that trains 3 days a week...

    Shoulders & Legs
    Chest and Tris
    Back & Bis.

    Keep moving fast and get it done quick.

    Everything works differently for every person.

    I like that routine because, 1)I work a lot so 3 days is a nice time saver for me.
    2) full body work outs are exhausting to me, just can't seem to get it done & part of it is because I usually hit a few more reps/exercises and it gets me tired quicker and I usually want to be out in under an hour. 3) the 5/6 day a week 1 muscle group deal doesn't work if for people that don't absolutely destroy that muscle group, basically the gains take longer to come I think personally.

    What I posted above is 1 day followed by 2 days off.... It's easy if u want to carb up or fast and/or get cardio and abs in on the off days so I think people need to try many styles and routines and see what fits them best.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  14. New Member
    Big boy D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    272
    Rep Power
    20592
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by thetinyguy
    Ok since i feel i'm a prime candidate for the subject of "over-training" i'll shed some of my experience with it to help you out!

    First off, i don't believe you can over-train entirely BUT there is a point where you will need a few days off to recover/grow. ANYWAYS i have been busting the crap out of this "myth" for the past 5 months. I believe that with the intensity of the training reflects how much more you should be eating to FUEL yourself and the increased metabolism resulted from more frequent/longer training sessions.
    Currently i train Full body 3-4x a week like this.

    Day 1: Full Body (Chest/Back PRIORITIZED) That means i start with chest/back.
    Day 2. OFF completely
    Day 3: Full Body (Legs PRIORITIZED)
    Day 4: OFF completely
    Day 5: Full Body (Shoulders/Arms PRIORITIZED)
    Day 6: OFF completely
    Day 7: Either OFF depending on how i feel or i will do weak point training PRIORITIZED along with full body

    Sessions average approximately 3 hours and i consume a BCAA/Carb drink (like Size-On or something of the sort)
    I also consume around 1-1.5 gallons of water and have energy through the entire session (99% of the time)
    After a few weeks (being around 3-4) i may take a few extra rest days and consume higher calories.

    You can doubt this training all you want but there's a reason why the guys back in the day trained this way for a few reasons i can think of being:
    1. Burning more calories (Less reliance on boring cardio)
    2. Better cardiovascular conditioning (this is due to super-setting two different exercises for different muscles and taking minimal rest)
    3. Faster strength and size gains (Depending on your calorie intake VERY IMPORTANT)
    4. More practice with exercise movements.
    5. Improved Muscular conditioning.

    These are the effects I HAVE experienced, the biggest determining factor that will also determine your progress is the CALORIES. (The highest point i was taking in 6-7k calories for a few days then dropping back down to 5-6k) You cannot eat like a RABBIT and train this way effectively! Who knows though this may work for some and others may not work so well but it will almost always boil down to intake of food. Also when you start feeling very run down through sessions is the point where i would take a few days off until you feel 100%.

    Here's my older training log: thetinyguy's ALL OUT training log!! *CAUTION OVERTRAINING*

    When i first began trying to gain weight i made 2 choices: To train as hard as i possibly could and to eat as MUCH as i possibly could. I believe in high calorie/super high intensity training. During that period i trained 3 hours with a Chest/Back, Legs, Shoulders/Arms split and it worked really well i went from 170-240lbs over a winter and proved to myself what i was capable of. I went of the beaten path and tried something that seems to have been buried in the modern training world. Arnold and the golden era guys trained that way for a reason.

    Hope this helps you out man! Impossible is nothing and anything is achievable.
    Cool man. You really put on some weight. I like the work out you have going. I just think the full body work outs will help me feel more solid at the same time. I am going to try your routine .
  15. Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    12,232
    Rep Power
    4582818
    Level
    91
    Lv. Percent
    32.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    I got a program that trains 3 days a week...

    Shoulders & Legs
    Chest and Tris
    Back & Bis.

    Keep moving fast and get it done quick.

    Everything works differently for every person.

    I like that routine because, 1)I work a lot so 3 days is a nice time saver for me.
    2) full body work outs are exhausting to me, just can't seem to get it done & part of it is because I usually hit a few more reps/exercises and it gets me tired quicker and I usually want to be out in under an hour. 3) the 5/6 day a week 1 muscle group deal doesn't work if for people that don't absolutely destroy that muscle group, basically the gains take longer to come I think personally.

    What I posted above is 1 day followed by 2 days off.... It's easy if u want to carb up or fast and/or get cardio and abs in on the off days so I think people need to try many styles and routines and see what fits them best.
    if its 1 day on, 2 days off, then you are working out 3 times every nine days, not seven...so it isnt 3x/week workout. i would shrink if i did that
  16. Professional Member
    thetinyguy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,184
    Rep Power
    14642
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    63.4%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Big boy D View Post
    Cool man. You really put on some weight. I like the work out you have going. I just think the full body work outs will help me feel more solid at the same time. I am going to try your routine .
    Definitely, like i said though you may have to ease into it but i swear it to anyone who asks me it works really well. Let me know how you like it!
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me
  17. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    AaronJP1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    18,810
    Rep Power
    3734734
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    19.96%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by R1balla

    if its 1 day on, 2 days off, then you are working out 3 times every nine days, not seven...so it isnt 3x/week workout. i would shrink if i did that
    Technically it's Sunday, Monday, Thursday. This would leave Fri, Sat, Tues, Wed off but you can kind of tailor it. The goal is to hit all it 3 times a week and leave 2 days of rest between each muscle group.

    How is you're routine set up R1?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  18. Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    12,232
    Rep Power
    4582818
    Level
    91
    Lv. Percent
    32.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    i cycle through around 4 of them a year. and each time i go, i do different exercises but keep the same routine with same reps for that specific routine i am doing for a month or two. i literally changed maybe every other month. always confusing my body

    but i have seen best results with DC. ive been on a 4 day split these past three weeks, and starting monday im gonna go back to DC lol
  19. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    AaronJP1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    18,810
    Rep Power
    3734734
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    19.96%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by R1balla
    i cycle through around 4 of them a year. and each time i go, i do different exercises but keep the same routine with same reps for that specific routine i am doing for a month or two. i literally changed maybe every other month. always confusing my body

    but i have seen best results with DC. ive been on a 4 day split these past three weeks, and starting monday im gonna go back to DC lol
    Nice yeah I'm going to have to look into that further.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  20. New Member
    Big boy D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    272
    Rep Power
    20592
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by thetinyguy

    Definitely, like i said though you may have to ease into it but i swear it to anyone who asks me it works really well. Let me know how you like it!
    I work out for about two hours now. I do one body part for the most part. I hit up other parts that I want to pump during the work out super set stuff,. Have you been lifting for a long time?
  21. Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    12,232
    Rep Power
    4582818
    Level
    91
    Lv. Percent
    32.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    see, i used to do bodybuilding splits, but i never saw real growth from them. only definition. when i cut, ill throw them into the mix, but the rest of the year i only train for about 50 minutes. either DC or my own 4 day split.

    i used to be so against three day workouts, but if you do them right, the rest can be so beneficial. i love it
  22. New Member
    cg123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  176 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    208
    Rep Power
    546
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    44.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by Big boy D

    I work out for about two hours now. I do one body part for the most part. I hit up other parts that I want to pump during the work out super set stuff,. Have you been lifting for a long time?
    This is most likely ur problem with growing. U can't be hitting one body part for 2 hours a day. Thats way over training and I'm surprised you haven't had an injury. Also cortisol is realesed after about an hour after working and this prevents muscle growth. Limit your workouts to about 45 min to an hour especially with one body part.
  23. Advanced Member
    tilldeath's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    940
    Rep Power
    117600
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    66.83%

    IMO I feel like you have to lift as heavy as possible for the 6-8 rep range to illicit results. I can increase actual muscle size a bit with higher reps like 10-12 however I see biggest gains at lower reps with heavier weight. My thoughts are are the same as Ronnie Coleman's "Everybody want to be a bodybuilder, but ain't nobody want to lift no heavy ass weight." Although I think this is the case for the majority of people I also know there are some who respond better to volume. Mainly I guess what ever creates hypertrophy in the muscle is good and time under stress. just my 2 cents.
  24. Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    12,232
    Rep Power
    4582818
    Level
    91
    Lv. Percent
    32.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    everybody responds to different rep ranges. i respond best, for muscle growth, around 8 - 10 reps.
  25. New Member
    cg123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  176 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    208
    Rep Power
    546
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    44.68%

    Quote Originally Posted by R1balla
    everybody responds to different rep ranges. i respond best, for muscle growth, around 8 - 10 reps.
    How do you figure out what you respond to best. It seems impossible to actually be able to tell
  26. Advanced Member
    tilldeath's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    940
    Rep Power
    117600
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    66.83%

    Quote Originally Posted by cg123 View Post
    How do you figure out what you respond to best. It seems impossible to actually be able to tell
    lift in low rep ranges with a steady bulking diet for around 3 months, taking measurements, tracking weight, and logging lift increases. Then lift high rep ranges and for 3 months and compare.
  27. New Member
    AndrewStone16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    45
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    86.3%

    I find that lifting heavy weight as many times as I can until failure, absolutely destroys my muscles to ensure huge gains. Just make sure rest is part of your split, it's vital.
  28. Professional Member
    thetinyguy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,184
    Rep Power
    14642
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    63.4%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    see, i used to do bodybuilding splits, but i never saw real growth from them. only definition. when i cut, ill throw them into the mix, but the rest of the year i only train for about 50 minutes. either DC or my own 4 day split.

    i used to be so against three day workouts, but if you do them right, the rest can be so beneficial. i love it
    Definitely, once you find out what works the best it's pretty smooth sailing (except all the blood sweat and tears haha) The main thing is experimenting!

    Quote Originally Posted by cg123 View Post
    This is most likely ur problem with growing. U can't be hitting one body part for 2 hours a day. Thats way over training and I'm surprised you haven't had an injury. Also cortisol is realesed after about an hour after working and this prevents muscle growth. Limit your workouts to about 45 min to an hour especially with one body part.
    That's verryyy subjective, maybe for a complete beginner who has never lifted. I do 3 hour sessions of lifting heavy for squats/deadlifts/bench in 1 workout for 3-4 sets each and still left the gym feeling awesome, In fact I've made better gains training that way. So you are right, but it does depend on your muscular conditioning. It's all about how much training your body allows you to RECOVER from. Some people can get away with training every day with 1-2 days off a week. Problem is, is that most people are limiting themselves to this 45 minute rule.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewStone16 View Post
    I find that lifting heavy weight as many times as I can until failure, absolutely destroys my muscles to ensure huge gains. Just make sure rest is part of your split, it's vital.
    100% agree with this, main thing is to notice when you need a few days off as well. Some days i'll just feel like i'm dragging ass. Then i'll take 2 straight days off and consume higher calories. Once you recognize this pattern then you ensure you'll always get max gains because you'll always be progressing. High reps definitely work to (12-20) the trick is to FAIL at 20 reps or so, HUGEEE burn/pump but i usually stretch after getting the pump to stretch the fascia like in DC.
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me
  29. New Member
    Big boy D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    272
    Rep Power
    20592
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

    Ok! I looked into the DC work out a bit. What's the scoop? Save me some time!! What's the work out that you do guys? Like I said I'm 260 6'2" with a body fat of let's say 19. I want to get beastly!! It sounds Like this DC would be good for me. And yes that's my pic up there, I am already kinda beastly, but I want to get BEASTLY!
  30. Professional Member
    thetinyguy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,184
    Rep Power
    14642
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    63.4%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Big boy D View Post
    Ok! I looked into the DC work out a bit. What's the scoop? Save me some time!! What's the work out that you do guys? Like I said I'm 260 6'2" with a body fat of let's say 19. I want to get beastly!! It sounds Like this DC would be good for me. And yes that's my pic up there, I am already kinda beastly, but I want to get BEASTLY!
    Here's EVERYTHING you need to know about DC training!

    http://dc-training.blogspot.com/
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me
  31. Professional Member
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141053
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    0.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I grew pretty well with the "typical" bodypart split, although my exercise selection was modeled a lot like westside. The exception was that I stalled pretty hard with squats after a point, and it was only after I switched to DC that I saw my squat go up again.

    I think one of the biggest problems I see in people's routines is when they deadlift for high reps, and the weight they're using is like sub 300 (arbitrarily picking 300 for a minute). Like if you're doing 225 for sets of 12, you need to stop bothering with that weight and start using heavy ass weight - relative to YOU - for low reps until you can handle serious weight. The deadlift is such a great mass builder, why waste it with light weight? And 225 is light weight for anyone, sorry. I could "deadlift" 225 totally untrained (back when I benched and squatted 95, lol).
  32. Professional Member
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141053
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    0.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tilldeath View Post
    lift in low rep ranges with a steady bulking diet for around 3 months, taking measurements, tracking weight, and logging lift increases. Then lift high rep ranges and for 3 months and compare.
    Such an on-point suggestion. Listen to this guy. Also, don't forget to experiment with rep/set ranges in between.

    I think a good rule of thumb is to use lower rep ranges for compound movements, higher rep ranges for isolation movements. But try different things out, but make sure to give whatever programming you chose a decent amount of time to see results before passing judgment. Like don't do 5/3/1 for 8 weeks and then say "****, my 1RM only went up 5lbs, forget this program."



    P.S. don't do 5/3/1 if you're a beginner, though LOL. It's slow gains, and it's honestly best for people with advanced totals.
  33. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    AaronJP1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    18,810
    Rep Power
    3734734
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    19.96%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    How effective are the dips, pull ups, push ups do you guys think?

    Most guys I know that do that are lean and have that dial shower comical in shape look
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  34. Professional Member
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141053
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    0.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    How effective are the dips, pull ups, push ups do you guys think?

    Most guys I know that do that are lean and have that dial shower comical in shape look
    The first two are honestly awesome. The third can be good, but is largely unnecessary if you're comfortable doing bench presses (Zir Red likes push-ups for various reasons; I'm not sure they're at all necessary for a decent program though).
  35. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    AaronJP1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    18,810
    Rep Power
    3734734
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    19.96%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia
    The first two are honestly awesome. The third can be good, but is largely unnecessary if you're comfortable doing bench presses (Zir Red likes push-ups for various reasons; I'm not sure they're at all necessary for a decent program though).
    Dips hits the chest, tris and core.
    Pull ups the back and Bis and push ups chest and shoulders....

    Almost do that stuff at home and hit legs later on at the gym...

    Wonder what the outcome of that would be if ppl did body weight exercises and used weights either very minimally or not at all...
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  36. Senior Member
    ssbackwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    3030
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    98.36%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    i switch up rep ranges every week.

    figure hit different muscle fibers stimulate all tissue, get full growth.

    been working well.

    much better shape to the mscle bellies
  37. New Member
    draft91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    23
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    45
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    94.25%

    I want to add some of my experiences.

    Im 20 years old and 1.70m and 82 kg. Im lifting for 4 years. 3 months ago I decided to change all my workout routine and nutrition. Before that I always workout like to kill myself With the new type, Im doing so much work. 5 days a week.

    monday: chest-back-abs
    tuesday: delts- arms
    wednesday: legs
    thursay: rest
    friday chest-back
    saturday: delts-arms
    sunday rest

    this is my routine. For the first 3 days routine is general hit training. 1-2 min rest and 4-12 reps. Deadlift and squats are more less reps like 1-3. After thursday, at the second period, im using hiit kind of training. Like giant sets, superset or Steve Kuclo's crazy 8(everybody part once a month).

    Before this routine i was 79kg and maybe bf % is more than 15. Now im lower than that, maybe %12-13 and 82kg without any cardio. And im eating like a monster. Everyday 10 eggs, 1 kg red meat, 200-250gr oat, brocoli, protein powder and bcaa. Before this routine and eating i was thinking that i reached my max level and i cant add muscle without injections. But i just chanced everything and its like a recreate myself.

    note: sorry about grammer mistakes
  38. New Member
    Big boy D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    272
    Rep Power
    20592
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by draft91
    I want to add some of my experiences.

    Im 20 years old and 1.70m and 82 kg. Im lifting for 4 years. 3 months ago I decided to change all my workout routine and nutrition. Before that I always workout like to kill myself With the new type, Im doing so much work. 5 days a week.

    monday: chest-back-abs
    tuesday: delts- arms
    wednesday: legs
    thursay: rest
    friday chest-back
    saturday: delts-arms
    sunday rest

    this is my routine. For the first 3 days routine is general hit training. 1-2 min rest and 4-12 reps. Deadlift and squats are more less reps like 1-3. After thursday, at the second period, im using hiit kind of training. Like giant sets, superset or Steve Kuclo's crazy 8(everybody part once a month).

    Before this routine i was 79kg and maybe bf % is more than 15. Now im lower than that, maybe %12-13 and 82kg without any cardio. And im eating like a monster. Everyday 10 eggs, 1 kg red meat, 200-250gr oat, brocoli, protein powder and bcaa. Before this routine and eating i was thinking that i reached my max level and i cant add muscle without injections. But i just chanced everything and its like a recreate myself.

    note: sorry about grammer mistakes
    Thanks for the post. So your saying you eat two pounds of red meat a day. Is that what you eat everyday? One more question. Are you doing this work out year round?
  39. New Member
    draft91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    23
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    45
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    94.25%

    Yes im eating that much meat everyday. But not chicken or turkey just red meat. And im doing this workout for 3 months and i want to keep it till summer. Because it is working so amazing for me. I really suggest this workout routine but you have check for overtraining. Sometimes drop the numbers of movements or sets. And stop doing cardio
  40. New Member
    Big boy D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    272
    Rep Power
    20592
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

    Dude! Write down what you eat in a day. That's 15 pounds of red meat a week bro! Not just meat, red meat. That can't be healthy. 15 pounds! Bro I am starting to think your full of it. I hope your buying all natural meat. I could prob eat that much a day but I would think I would get backed up.... idk sounds a bit to much.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 73
    Last Post: 10-07-2014, 05:30 PM
  2. Controlled Labs Golden Gains... Let the gains start coming!
    By TexasLifter89 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 06:13 PM
  3. strenght gains without musclegain...lost gains?
    By houston1 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-23-2009, 03:14 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 11:20 AM
  5. Lifting at night slowing gains?
    By Rage (SoCal) in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-22-2006, 02:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in