post workout meal HELP

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
Hey i have been bodybuilding for about 4 years now and ever since i started my post workout meal's main protein source has been whey protein. Now a friend of mine i work with who is 40 years old and a veteran bodybuilder(all natural huge and ripped) told me to totally drop whey protein out of my post workout meal and totally out of my diet and go with a diet consisting of all natural high protein foods and healthy carbs and fats. Now my diet is already consisting of natural foods besides my intake of whey protein in the morning and after my workouts. He told me that you will benifit more from not taking whey and build a totally different physique then someone who uses whey protein. So now my question to u guys is what should my post workout meal consist of if not taking whey protein?

My current diet now is:
meal 1: 5 egg whites and 2 pieces of arnold protein bread, cup of light silk milk, 25 grams of whey
meal 2: large chicken breast, 1 medium size sweet potato, and light string cheese
meal 3 : pre workout: 1 serving of natural pb on 110 calorie whole wheat bagel
meal 4: POST WORKOUT:use to be 50 grams of whey (LOOKING TO REPLACE)
Meal 5 :l arge chicken breast, sweet potato, brocolli
Meal 6: 4 egg whites, light string cheese

My Supps i take: multi vitamin and fish oil

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
u think i should add some fruit or somethin to help spike insulin?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well you use to just use 50g of whey no? Protein can spike insulin on its own. And since you didnt have carbs with your shake no need for it now. The post-wo fast carbs things is a myth unless you train fasted, or train multiple times a day. You will refill glycogen stores in 24hrs regardless. Id suggest just add a whole food protein source in its place of similar macros.

benmuscle

Awards
If your going to use whey at all I would do it post-workout, its appeal is its convenience and rapid bioavailability. Gotta be good ol raw eggs if not!

Also, read somewhere that raw onion was good, boosts NO levels. Any thoughts?

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
your veteran body builder friend is dead wrong on using whey post workout. Whey is superior to other protein sources at one time only and thats post workout, all other times real food is better. Your not going to build a different physique because you start eating beef or chicken post workout instead of whey, thats bogus. the only reason something besides whey would be a good idea immediately post workout is if you are lactose intolerant, which your friend may be

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
your veteran body builder friend is dead wrong on using whey post workout. Whey is superior to other protein sources at one time only and thats post workout, all other times real food is better. Your not going to build a different physique because you start eating beef or chicken post workout instead of whey, thats bogus. the only reason something besides whey would be a good idea immediately post workout is if you are lactose intolerant, which your friend may be
Wrong^

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
some contribution there. i hope you have a decent reason why you think its wrong and what parts you disagree with
I disagree with whey being good post-wo above other protein sources. You wont notice a difference if you eat chicken, fish, drink whey, or milk post-wo. Its a 5% difference. Id rather eat food then drink a shake any day. Because then you get all the enzymatic activation from chewing the food, ect.

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
I disagree with whey being good post-wo above other protein sources. You wont notice a difference if you eat chicken, fish, drink whey, or milk post-wo. Its a 5% difference. Id rather eat food then drink a shake any day. Because then you get all the enzymatic activation from chewing the food, ect.
i agree with you that i would always prefer to eat real food. I also agree with you that whether its whey, beef, chicken or fish that you wont notice a difference which was the main point of my post because the op's body builder friend claimed that eating real food vs drinking a protein shake would build a competely different physique which just isnt true. The problem with post workout though is I can down 50 grams of whey in around 5 seconds (whey is also more bioavailable and has a better amino acid profile than most whole food products), but it would take atleast 10 minutes to eat 8 oz of chicken (thats assuming its already been cooked). And then you have to factor in that with that chicken you may use a fatty, or carby sauce which in the case of a fatty sauce may slow down the protein being absorbed, or if its a carby sauce its just worthless empty sugar calories. So logically pounding a protein shake is much more feasible that eating a whole cooked meal yet both will lead to virtually the same results.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i agree with you that i would always prefer to eat real food. I also agree with you that whether its whey, beef, chicken or fish that you wont notice a difference which was the main point of my post because the op's body builder friend claimed that eating real food vs drinking a protein shake would build a competely different physique which just isnt true. The problem with post workout though is I can down 50 grams of whey in around 5 seconds (whey is also more bioavailable and has a better amino acid profile than most whole food products), but it would take atleast 10 minutes to eat 8 oz of chicken (thats assuming its already been cooked). And then you have to factor in that with that chicken you may use a fatty, or carby sauce which in the case of a fatty sauce may slow down the protein being absorbed, or if its a carby sauce its just worthless empty sugar calories. So logically pounding a protein shake is much more feasible that eating a whole cooked meal yet both will lead to virtually the same results.
Unless you go home and eat a meal of chicken, potatoes, and veggies? I dont worry to much about getting protein in as fast as possible post-wo.

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
Unless you go home and eat a meal of chicken, potatoes, and veggies? I dont worry to much about getting protein in as fast as possible post-wo.
I see. for me whey does not really fill me up much. So i can have my shake and then 45 minutes later have a very large whole food meal with beef/chicken, veggies and grains whereas if I ate a whole food meal immediately post workout id be quite full for a few hours.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I see. for me whey does not really fill me up much. So i can have my shake and then 45 minutes later have a very large whole food meal with beef/chicken, veggies and grains whereas if I ate a whole food meal immediately post workout id be quite full for a few hours.
Why are you drinking a whey shake then eating 45min later? Whey protein takes about 30min to an hr to start breaking down, elevating blood amino levels for 2-4hrs like any other protein source. Your body has to break down the protein into di and tri peptides to be absorbed. They meal 45min later is overkill. Maybe try some aminos or hydro protein post since they spike blood plasma levels of aminos much faster then regular whey/protein. Then proceed to eat your post-wo meal 30min to 2 hrs post-wo.

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
Why are you drinking a whey shake then eating 45min later? Whey protein takes about 30min to an hr to start breaking down, elevating blood amino levels for 2-4hrs like any other protein source. Your body has to break down the protein into di and tri peptides to be absorbed. They meal 45min later is overkill. Maybe try some aminos or hydro protein post since they spike blood plasma levels of aminos much faster then regular whey/protein. Then proceed to eat your post-wo meal 30min to 2 hrs post-wo.
i stay hungry

VitaminJB

Awards
I dunno man, tough to beat whey protein post w/o, given the availability and convenience. Maybe bring a cooler to the gym and leave it in a locker or something with some tuna/chicken/ham/egg salad made in it with some ww bread. Used to do this when I would train on my lunch breaks and eat afterwards.

I went off whey/casein protein shakes early this spring for about 2 months because I was just tired of drinking it and tired of buying it. I still drank "shakes" but would experiment with diffrent types of milk with all kinds of stuff in a blender. One thing I did notice is that I was getting tired quicker during my workouts. It would take another 30-45 minutes sometimes to finish something i'd normally blast through in an hour. Whey definately is cheap and makes it easier to hit your protein intake.

ahh123

ahh123

Awards
  • Established
I started drinking Sunwarrior's brown rice powder - mixes good with warm water. Snacking some almonds, brazil nuts, pistachios and dry plums with it then squeezing half a lemon in 1 cup of water and I'm good for 3h.

PVL

Banned
Awards
after your workout, if you are lean, try this...........

banana, pear...........30 min later 8 oz lean meat/any meat, veggies, large portion carbs(2 cups rice) and 20 oz ff milk........

come back in 2 weeks and tell me you havent gained muscle, lol