Looking to bulk up!

tbloom26

Awards
I'm looking to bulk up in a BIG way. I want to take about 3 months to just stack on the muscle mass then take 2 months to cut down. I need some help on my supplementing for the mass. I am looking at getting Whey Protein, Creatine, BCAA's, a pre workout, and multi vitamins. I need some help n what I should take though. I am completely open to advice. Please help me build a stack to really boost my gains in the next 3 months.

19 yrs old
165-170 lbs
around 8-10% bf
5'10"

I appreciate any help and sup[port I can get. THANKS Trevor

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Food, food, and more food! Whole food will put on size better than anything else. Think chicken, eggs, beef, fish, oats, fruits, vegetables, avocados, nuts, more eggs, more oats, sweet potatoes, brown rice, more eggs, etc. Eat relatively clean, bulking is not a license to eat garbage since your body won't use it as well for building, just getting fat. Regardless, you need to be in a caloric excess to gain muscle/weight.

I'd recommend dropping the BCAA since that's not necessary in a caloric excess and if you're getting in enough protein with each meal (you just need 3-5g leucine with each meal to trigger mTOR and Muscle Protein Synthesis), and really the whey protein may not even be necessary either if you're really eating to get big. You'll have plenty of protein in your diet if you do it right (10oz meat with each meal).

Creatine, pre-workout, and (arguably) multi are the basics. I'd add in Krill oil since it helps in so many areas.

For bodybuilding, the equation for success IMO is:

70% diet, 25% traininig/recovery, 5% supplements.

That should be your priority for what to focus on.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Good advice from Milas, however; considering you only have about 130 lbs of LBM 10 0z of protein per meal (assuming you would at least eat 6 meals) would be overkill and a waste of money IMO. Also 3 months of bulking and going on your so called "cut" I believe you will be disappointed, muscle growth is a slow process it's not something that you can do for 3 months and dramatically change your physique (assuming you’re not on hardcore drugs). With that said eat clean, lift hard and bulk for a little longer say 6 months and I bet you will be happier with your results. Nothing in life worthwhile is easy, and takes time. Be consistent.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good advice from Milas, however; considering you only have about 130 lbs of LBM 10 0z of protein per meal (assuming you would at least eat 6 meals) would be overkill and a waste of money IMO. Also 3 months of bulking and going on your so called "cut" I believe you will be disappointed, muscle growth is a slow process it's not something that you can do for 3 months and dramatically change your physique (assuming you’re not on hardcore drugs). With that said eat clean, lift hard and bulk for a little longer say 6 months and I bet you will be happier with your results. Nothing in life worthwhile is easy, and takes time. Be consistent.
Agree, it takes time! Muscle builds slowly, so I wouldn't worry about cutting in 3 months, I'd worry about developing a strong baseline for the future. That will pay dividends!

10oz meat isn't pointless IMO, I didn't say how many meals, 6 meals would be a lot! ;) Personally, I gain better with fewer large meals and snacks in between. Really though, I just don't think people eat big enough to grow, and I like meat, so I always recommend going higher in meat than anything else. Oats and eggs are a couple other food items that have a lot of potential if used right.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Agree, it takes time! Muscle builds slowly, so I wouldn't worry about cutting in 3 months, I'd worry about developing a strong baseline for the future. That will pay dividends!

10oz meat isn't pointless IMO, I didn't say how many meals, 6 meals would be a lot! ;) Personally, I gain better with fewer large meals and snacks in between. Really though, I just don't think people eat big enough to grow, and I like meat, so I always recommend going higher in meat than anything else. Oats and eggs are a couple other food items that have a lot of potential if used right.
I was just giving him cheaper options, for one I am 200 lbs LBM and I eat 8 max. It's not just the protein, it's the carbs and fats + training and sleep. It's pointless unless you LOVE chicken/beef/fish like Milas. Haha you'll LOVE it when you eat it a few times a day for a year straight lmao

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was just giving him cheaper options, for one I am 200 lbs LBM and I eat 8 max. It's not just the protein, it's the carbs and fats + training and sleep. It's pointless unless you LOVE chicken/beef/fish like Milas. Haha you'll LOVE it when you eat it a few times a day for a year straight lmao
Is it so wrong to day dream about grilled chicken breasts, oats (SLUDGE!!!), and eggs? :D

Yeah, I guess I forgot that people like eating other stuff since I have learned how to make good meals with these basics (and trained my wife/son to enjoy it too)!

The added bonus is it's REALLY cheap to eat like that when you shop Costco! I have 20+ lbs of chicken in the freezer!!! NOM NOM NOM!

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Is it so wrong to day dream about grilled chicken breasts, oats (SLUDGE!!!), and eggs? :D

Yeah, I guess I forgot that people like eating other stuff since I have learned how to make good meals with these basics (and trained my wife/son to enjoy it too)!

The added bonus is it's REALLY cheap to eat like that when you shop Costco! I have 20+ lbs of chicken in the freezer!!! NOM NOM NOM!
Haha ya I get my stuff in bulk from Sam's 1.97 lb. for chicken and tuna is like dirt there (also tuna tastes like dirt) :lmao:. I was just taking into consideration his age ---> 19 so he probably doesn't have a "career" that can pay for his copious amounts of protein. I wish I could eat grilled chicken breasts! I am stuck at a college and have the option to boil or fry in a pan :(. ****ty apartments.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha ya I get my stuff in bulk from Sam's 1.97 lb. for chicken and tuna is like dirt there (also tuna tastes like dirt) :lmao:. I was just taking into consideration his age ---> 19 so he probably doesn't have a "career" that can pay for his copious amounts of protein. I wish I could eat grilled chicken breasts! I am stuck at a college and have the option to boil or fry in a pan :(. ****ty apartments.
George Foreman Grill brah, get it, use it, prosper!!!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you have one? Which one is it? Is it easy to clean?
I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman-GRP90WGR-Grilleration-Removable/dp/B000A7W4Z2/ref=sr_1_4?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1309282124&sr=1-4

It has removable plates, so it's easier to clean and put in the dishwasher. The top plate is a PITA to clean though TBH, I wish they made it like the bottom plate with just straight grooves.

Well worth the investment, mine gets LOTS of use for all sorts of meats (and occassional sandwich).

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
George Foreman Grill brah, get it, use it, prosper!!!
I will pass on that one broski! I hate that thing, it's currently sitting in the corner of my bedroom in the box after less than 10 uses! It does give food a good flavor, but it's terrible to clean and I cook 10lbs of meat for the week in 1 day. This would require at least 3.5 hrs to do it on a Foreman!

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I will pass on that one broski! I hate that thing, it's currently sitting in the corner of my bedroom in the box after less than 10 uses! It does give food a good flavor, but it's terrible to clean and I cook 10lbs of meat for the week in 1 day. This would require at least 3.5 hrs to do it on a Foreman!
Hmmm, your grill must not be quite right, or I'm just patient! I can get 4 ~10oz breasts on there at a time and cook it in 20-30 minutes (and I just leave it and let it cook).

Flavoring takes some tweaking, but I do a lot of curry rubs and Mrs. Dash.

The top grill is a bit tough to clean, but I soak it in the sink for a couple hours then it's GTG.

I do a lot of baking chicken/fish too...

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm, your grill must not be quite right, or I'm just patient! I can get 4 ~10oz breasts on there at a time and cook it in 20-30 minutes (and I just leave it and let it cook).

Flavoring takes some tweaking, but I do a lot of curry rubs and Mrs. Dash.

The top grill is a bit tough to clean, but I soak it in the sink for a couple hours then it's GTG.

I do a lot of baking chicken/fish too...
Yeah, you must be patient and my grill is medium sized. Either way double thumbs down! What works for some might not be the answer for others, Individuality my friend. Thanks for the idea though :)

Jordanbid

Jordanbid

Banned
Awards
find out what your calorie maintainence is and eat 500-700 more calories then that a day eating a **** load wont exactly put on muscle faster it will lead to fat gain faster... iv learned this from experience lol. good luck

BigKoolWhip

BigKoolWhip

Awards
Eat ur ass off with protein and carbs, and get a meal replacement shake but make sure to spread out ur meals during the day.

tbloom26

Awards
Milas and JaJa I greatly appreciate all the info u have no idea. I havent been on in a while due to working and family issues. Found my self a good job and hopefully can afford to eat right. HAHAHA and I do have a foreman grill and I love that thing. But thanks again. If you have any advice as far as a bulking work out routine please fill me in. I cant seem to get one set in stone.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Just be consistent my friend, get a plan and stick to it. Work hard, eat perfect and your results will be great. The only thing that stands in your way is time. Over time you will improve and get bigger and better. Best of luck !

tbloom26

Awards
Thanks I started tracking what I eat today for the first time ever. Hoping to relise how much more i need to eat HAHAHAHA wont be mad about having to eat more.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
which tracker are you using?

tbloom26

Awards
The Calorie Counter by FatSecret it had very good reviews on the net and over 1,000,000 downloads and was free lol!

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cool, let us know how it goes!

tbloom26

Awards
ok so yesterday I pushed my self to eat the 5,000 cals that was recomended by most people in another thread of mine. So here it is.
breakfast, 5 servings of Golden Grahams cereal along with 3 cups of milk, Then a vanilla muscle milk
totals:21.00 fat, 142.00 carbs, 42 prot, 920 cals
lunch, 2 beefy 5 layer burritos (Taco Bell), 1 20 ounce Mt. Dew
totals:42 fat, 213 carbs, 38 prot, 1,370 cals
Dinner, 1 beefy 5 layer burrito, 1 burrito supreme - beef, 1 crunchy supreme beef taco, 1 20 ounce Mt. Dew.
totals: 48 fat, 212 carbs, 45 prot, 1,450 cals
Snack/other, 1 serving honey raosted Cashews (Plantars), 1 Myoplex shake, 1 Mt. Dew 20 ounce, 1 Muscle milk Vanilla (After lifting)
totals:44.42 fat, 153.26 carb, 80.16 prot, 1,296 cal
Complete day total:155.42 fat, 720.26 carb, 205.16 prot, 5,036 cals

So there is every thing yesterday food wise and Protein shake as well. I drank around 100 oz of water also. Please give me some insight. My dad said I am doing this back wards and need to aim for a high carb diet not high cals. He said this is what him and his friends did when they were younger and had the best success with. I am willing to soak up any info I can get to get bigger.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
ok so yesterday I pushed my self to eat the 5,000 cals that was recomended by most people in another thread of mine. So here it is.
breakfast, 5 servings of Golden Grahams cereal along with 3 cups of milk, Then a vanilla muscle milk
totals:21.00 fat, 142.00 carbs, 42 prot, 920 cals
lunch, 2 beefy 5 layer burritos (Taco Bell), 1 20 ounce Mt. Dew
totals:42 fat, 213 carbs, 38 prot, 1,370 cals
Dinner, 1 beefy 5 layer burrito, 1 burrito supreme - beef, 1 crunchy supreme beef taco, 1 20 ounce Mt. Dew.
totals: 48 fat, 212 carbs, 45 prot, 1,450 cals
Snack/other, 1 serving honey raosted Cashews (Plantars), 1 Myoplex shake, 1 Mt. Dew 20 ounce, 1 Muscle milk Vanilla (After lifting)
totals:44.42 fat, 153.26 carb, 80.16 prot, 1,296 cal
Complete day total:155.42 fat, 720.26 carb, 205.16 prot, 5,036 cals

So there is every thing yesterday food wise and Protein shake as well. I drank around 100 oz of water also. Please give me some insight. My dad said I am doing this back wards and need to aim for a high carb diet not high cals. He said this is what him and his friends did when they were younger and had the best success with. I am willing to soak up any info I can get to get bigger.
I can tell that you "really" want to gain weight! Here's the thing though, what kind of weight do you want to gain? Are you trying to maximize muscle and minimize fat gain, or just maximize fat and gain some muscle!? From the looks of your macros you are way off my friend! Your dad is right in a way, I agree that you need high carbs, but you also need high protein to gain quality mass. IDK if your stats are correct, but if your 170 lbs eating 5,000 calories is just ridiculous. Whoever told you to do that should be bitc* slapped for trying to make you fat and fail! Quality calories over quantity my friend! Research some bodybuilding diets and tailor them to your needs. I have no idea what your maintenance calories are but I would make a best guess that you wouldnt need more than 3250 a day to gain "good weight." BEst of luck

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can tell that you "really" want to gain weight! Here's the thing though, what kind of weight do you want to gain? Are you trying to maximize muscle and minimize fat gain, or just maximize fat and gain some muscle!? From the looks of your macros you are way off my friend! Your dad is right in a way, I agree that you need high carbs, but you also need high protein to gain quality mass. IDK if your stats are correct, but if your 170 lbs eating 5,000 calories is just ridiculous. Whoever told you to do that should be bitc* slapped for trying to make you fat and fail! Quality calories over quantity my friend! Research some bodybuilding diets and tailor them to your needs. I have no idea what your maintenance calories are but I would make a best guess that you wouldnt need more than 3250 a day to gain "good weight." BEst of luck
I disagree, some people are more efficient with calories and not need as much. Some need more calories. I say go with 5k and adjust. More carbs and protein with moderate fat. 40/40/20 carb/protein /fat.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
I disagree, some people are more efficient with calories and not need as much. Some need more calories. I say go with 5k and adjust. More carbs and protein with moderate fat. 40/40/20 carb/protein /fat.
I strongly disagree with this, 5,000 calories is just ridiculous, plain stupid considering this kid is 170 lbs. Plus he doesn't even hold 170 lbs of LBM meaning he doesn't require more energy considering he's 170 lbs total. I am sorry but OP do not listen to this ridiculous claim, start out lower and run your diet for a few weeks and adjust from there. Use the scale and the mirror, For i can GUARANTEE if you do 5k a day for a month, you will be really upset about your results once you shred down (considering you said you were going to lean out after your bulk). Eating garbage calories and high sugar soda's for calories will produce GARBAGE, eating clean nutritionally dense foods (enough of them to gain weight) will produce optimal results. Nutrition = win. If it was that easy everybody would be big, but guess what? Their not. Your choice on who to believe, take the easy way out, or do it the better way and get good gains

Linda Albert

Banned
Awards
Intake of the food is with more calories and maintain the good diet is the solution.