Changing the length of your bicep

Chico222

Awards
Fellas,

I was reading through a bodybuilding book and read that bicep length is based on genetics, and most likely cannot be changed.

When I flex my bicep, I have a nice peak, but there is a 2" gap between the inside elbow joint and where the lower bicep starts to rise. In the gap, there is nothing but tendons.

The same is true to my tricep, there is a great gap between the elbow joint and the "horseshoe" portion of my bicep.

Due to this, I have a great "ball" of muscle on my upper arm, but NOTHING on my lower arm over by my elbow, shoot, with a shortsleeve shirt, all you can see is the "gaps" I mentioned and my forearms.

Is there are ways to lengthen the muscles? Or give the illusion of length?

Thanks!

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
It is genetics.

You could try focusing on working your "inner" bicep.

Preacher curls, scott curls, wide grip bb curls, wide grip chin ups.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
you can build more muscle and really work on hitting all 3 muscle types. That gap will not close where your bicep and elbow meet. Its genetics. i think the gap makes for a bigger looking bicep personally.

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
If you flex with your hand pointed away you see the bicep spreads out.

mikeshark00

mikeshark00

Awards
Try hitting the long head of the bi. Larry scott calls this the beautiful part of the bicep.

incline curls(sit on an incline bench), both hands at once, tuck elbows as far back as possible and keep them tucked behind as you curl up toward your shoulders....this will lengthin the bicep.

also standing straight bar reverse curls, elbows tucked back again....squeze at the top until your body vibrates....kill this exercise and you will develop thickness at the lower end toward the elbow...look at pics of larry scott for inspiration. do these two exersices for 8 wks...then get back to me.

Chico222

Awards
you can build more muscle and really work on hitting all 3 muscle types. That gap will not close where your bicep and elbow meet. Its genetics. i think the gap makes for a bigger looking bicep personally.
Good point. The because of my short bicep, I actually have a really nice peak. Its almost like all the muscle I build on my biceps just piles over a small area and keep going up (peak) instead of spreading out (length). I guess I should be happy for the peak. I will be trying out the methods suggested here though.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
yea man there is nothing like the look of a softball sized bicep! Its a good look to have.

Rebel29073

Rebel29073

Awards
yea man there is nothing like the look of a softball sized bicep! Its a good look to have.
Add close grip chin ups into your routine with your thumbs touching. This hits the Brachioradialis as well as the bicep. The Brachioradialis runs underneath the bicep so if you can build that, it helps your bicep's to "pop", and may give you a more elongated appearance. Plus you get a huge bicep pump as well as the benefits of a pull up so its a very efficient exercise.

syphon80

Awards
Try hitting the long head of the bi. Larry scott calls this the beautiful part of the bicep.

incline curls(sit on an incline bench), both hands at once, tuck elbows as far back as possible and keep them tucked behind as you curl up toward your shoulders....this will lengthin the bicep.

also standing straight bar reverse curls, elbows tucked back again....squeze at the top until your body vibrates....kill this exercise and you will develop thickness at the lower end toward the elbow...look at pics of larry scott for inspiration. do these two exersices for 8 wks...then get back to me.
Incline curls are my new bicep WO staple, although ive been calling them decline curls :p

Chico222

Awards
Add close grip chin ups into your routine with your thumbs touching. This hits the Brachioradialis as well as the bicep. The Brachioradialis runs underneath the bicep so if you can build that, it helps your bicep's to "pop", and may give you a more elongated appearance. Plus you get a huge bicep pump as well as the benefits of a pull up so its a very efficient exercise.
Nice, I'll try that within the next few weeks. I'm only gonna try a couple of things at a time so I can zero down on what is working best, although I'm sure all exercises will contribute.

On the flip side, I just tried out a cable "tricep extension" exercise that really fries the lower portion of my tricep (that's the part that hangs down when you flex your bicep for someone). Thanks to this part of the tricep being worked, it makes my arms look even bigger.

Rebel29073

Rebel29073

Awards
Nice, I'll try that within the next few weeks. I'm only gonna try a couple of things at a time so I can zero down on what is working best, although I'm sure all exercises will contribute.

On the flip side, I just tried out a cable "tricep extension" exercise that really fries the lower portion of my tricep (that's the part that hangs down when you flex your bicep for someone). Thanks to this part of the tricep being worked, it makes my arms look even bigger.
Makes sense. The tricep will make up about 2/3 of the overall size of the arm for most people.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
interesting read, never really thought about it, but a guy brought it to my attention at the gym the other day, doing ez bar preacher curls the guy told me to almost go negative in motion, almost like hyperextend your elbow at the bottom portion of the movement to have the bar under the pad, he said it would lengthen my bicep....i'm short so when i flex i have a bigger bicep then my buddy but he's longer so when not flexed and arms down his biceps look bigger because they extend past the arms of his shirt

Chico222

Awards
interesting read, never really thought about it, but a guy brought it to my attention at the gym the other day, doing ez bar preacher curls the guy told me to almost go negative in motion, almost like hyperextend your elbow at the bottom portion of the movement to have the bar under the pad, he said it would lengthen my bicep....i'm short so when i flex i have a bigger bicep then my buddy but he's longer so when not flexed and arms down his biceps look bigger because they extend past the arms of his shirt
I know what you mean. When I have a polo shirt on, the sleeves go down just above my elbow, and you can't see ANY of my bicep, I look puny, and then of course all that is exposed is my small forearms. Its only when I wear fitted t-shirts (where the sleeves are shorter) that you can see my biceps.

I also have a "large" bicep when I flex, I guess there is pros and cons.

Rebel29073

Rebel29073

Awards
I know what you mean. When I have a polo shirt on, the sleeves go down just above my elbow, and you can't see ANY of my bicep, I look puny, and then of course all that is exposed is my small forearms. Its only when I wear fitted t-shirts (where the sleeves are shorter) that you can see my biceps.

I also have a "large" bicep when I flex, I guess there is pros and cons.
Living in SC I wear Tank tops most of the time as it is rather warm here from March through Oct so I kind of like my "boulder like" (what my son refers to them as) biceps.

As far as the forearms go if you have any plates at home grab a wrist roller from Walmart and do a few sets every other day or so they should get larger. Also there is a website from Iron mind that offers a variety of grippers (they are a little pricey) If attending the gym see if they have grip equipment. Not meanign to de-rail the convo around biceps just noticing your comment on small forearms.

Forarms (for me) are one of the hardest to grow besides my calves :\

Chico222

Awards
Living in SC I wear Tank tops most of the time as it is rather warm here from March through Oct so I kind of like my "boulder like" (what my son refers to them as) biceps.

As far as the forearms go if you have any plates at home grab a wrist roller from Walmart and do a few sets every other day or so they should get larger. Also there is a website from Iron mind that offers a variety of grippers (they are a little pricey) If attending the gym see if they have grip equipment. Not meanign to de-rail the convo around biceps just noticing your comment on small forearms.

Forarms (for me) are one of the hardest to grow besides my calves :\
True that. Thanks for the tips I'll try 'em out!

Sane Mind

Awards
Fellas,

I was reading through a bodybuilding book and read that bicep length is based on genetics, and most likely cannot be changed.

When I flex my bicep, I have a nice peak, but there is a 2" gap between the inside elbow joint and where the lower bicep starts to rise. In the gap, there is nothing but tendons.

The same is true to my tricep, there is a great gap between the elbow joint and the "horseshoe" portion of my bicep.

Due to this, I have a great "ball" of muscle on my upper arm, but NOTHING on my lower arm over by my elbow, shoot, with a shortsleeve shirt, all you can see is the "gaps" I mentioned and my forearms.

Is there are ways to lengthen the muscles? Or give the illusion of length?

Thanks!
I am the same way bro. I'm curious to see if anyone has a viable opinion on the matter.