Milk, cheese, yogurt?

willk5791

willk5791

Awards
I have heard contradicting theories on dairy products. An ex D1 college football player (and now personal trainer) once told me that chocolate milk was a perfect post workout recovery drink, and even said that a number of D1 football programs give their players chocolate milk after workouts. This seems stupid to me based on some other things I have heard about milk. For one, Casein is the slowest digesting protein, wouldn't I want a fast digesting protein like whey right after I workout? Not to mention casein protein has been known to slow the digestion and absorption of anything else in your system.
Basically my question is, is dairy good or bad for you? Is there a right time to have dairy, or should I try to cut it out of my diet all together?

Mindless

Awards
It really depends on your goals.

If you want to gain/bulk, then I would say milk is good source of whey and casein (it's a 20:80 ratio) and you could eat cottage cheese and drink milk w/o concerns.

I am currently on a cut, so I cut all dairy products.

Chocolate milk has loads of sugar, plus whey and casein protein. Keep in mind that those football players workout for longer than most of the normal people, so they need to replenish their glycogen quick. Therefore I would say chocolate milk might not be the ideal post workout drink for the average joe.

Moeller

Moeller

Awards
All carbs have sugar, it's the utilization rate that athletes are concerned about. Milk is not an optimal post workout no matter who you are, or how you have trained. The fact of the matter is that there are other carb sources which absorb quicker, and that free form amino's trump the post-workout deck.

If I believed everything joe average football player said, I'd be eating a 16 peice KFC bucket and doing burpies in the field

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
When you boil it right down: dairy is bad. It's processed, it's not paleolithic, just no.

Yes Moeller, all carbs contain sugars because all carbs ARE sugars - or long chains of 5-6 carbon ring structures known as saccharides. Just depends on how long and whit kind of sugars. Om the topic of milk/dairy carbs we're looking at disaccharides: a galactose-glucose combo. Very simple to break these down with a single molecule of water. Sucrose (household sugar) is another example of a disaccharide: glucose-glucose. Diary makes the skin kinda flabby too. If your a believer of the insulin spike post-workout (which I'm not) then it may be beneficial especially with the added chocolate. There's better sources of casein. You can have a mix of both, it's fine. It would be smart to have something with two proteins - one high BV one low BV.

So I'm just gonna go ahead and say thats dumb. Monmouth University, my alma matter and D1 AA, did not train their football players that way.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Ive only been on the paleo diet for 3 weeks and can see a difference since I cut out milk, cheese, yogurt, oats, and most other things not allowed on that type of regimen. I do a modified version where I still use whey and casein shakes, but that is the only food outside of the diet that i consume. has helped to lean me out considerably, and am hungry more frequently.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Ive only been on the paleo diet for 3 weeks and can see a difference since I cut out milk, cheese, yogurt, oats, and most other things not allowed on that type of regimen. I do a modified version where I still use whey and casein shakes, but that is the only food outside of the diet that i consume. has helped to lean me out considerably, and am hungry more frequently.
I have my exceptions for supplement proteins and natural peanut butter but that's really about it. If it comes in a box I'll eat the box first - probably has more fiber.

pero

Awards
IMO certain dairy products are perfectly ok, if u tolerate lactose. low fat cottage cheese and low fat (o,1%) yoghurt are on my daily menu practically all the time (except for 0 carb dieting days). small lactose content and pretty decent protein source.
some light cheese with 6g of fat/100g tops won't hurt either.

i do however avoid full fat milk and all other dairy products that are rich in fat and cH

STPlover

STPlover

Awards
Man those guys doing PR for milk are brilliant ,, first milk is the best source of calcuim for healthy bones/teeth and now choco. milk is the best pro-workout drink .. whats next?

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
So much hate towards dairy stuff these days i dont get it!! dairy is a staple imo. and i make sure i get as much of the dam stuff as i can handle! You ask any aussie and they live of milk. I drink around 2litres a day during the hot aussie summer! in between my main meals. I dont know what you guys get in the states or whatever!! but

DAIRY FTW!!!!!! :D

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I think much of the football training fundamentals come from the time before powder everything and pills for this and that. Dairy was a staple for many generations before now. I have been using whole milk as post workout, as a change from powder protien, to see what type of results I get. I am trying to incorporate more "real" protein in my diet. The powders do have thier negative side effects, even though many of us do not ever see them.

EatMeat

EatMeat

Awards
milk should be a staple for everyone.

Chocolate milk just has way more sugar in it, which is great if your going for size/strength because you get the insulin going. then you get a combo if fast and slow digesting protiens, and then you get all the other benifets of calcium, vit D and you can never go wrong with it.

you like supps?
good i take all the protien and aminos and mix it with chocolate milk.

EatMeat

EatMeat

Awards

Chocolate milk just has way more sugar in it, which is great if your going for size/strength because you get the insulin going. then you get a combo if fast and slow digesting protiens, and then you get all the other benifets of calcium, vit D and you can never go wrong with it.

you like supps?
good i take all the protien and aminos and mix it with chocolate milk.

EatMeat

EatMeat

Awards

you like supps?
good take your protien and aminos and mix it with chocolate milk and creatine. milk enhances creatine absorption by a lot, especially chocolate milk
by creating an insulin response and raising the ph of stomach acid.

Pounditz

Awards
Just want to point out a HUGE varying factor here.
Milk vs. RAW MILK.
Milk that is not raw has been sterilized, killing all digestive enzymes that naturally occur in it, like LACTASE. This is the enzyme that allows the digestion of LACTOSE.
It really is no wonder why store bought milk can bring up so many different health issues. The whole structure of the substance, including the fat and protein, has been changed.

And from personal experience of monitoring glucose levels diligently, milk causes a fast rise in glucose levels from the sugars it naturally contains (releasing insulin as the carrier), and bc of the high protein content that digests slowly, its more of a sustained curve, not so much a quick up and down roller coaster. This is just what i have noticed, so take it at that.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
And from personal experience of monitoring glucose levels diligently, milk causes a fast rise in glucose levels from the sugars it naturally contains (releasing insulin as the carrier), and bc of the high protein content that digests slowly, its more of a sustained curve, not so much a quick up and down roller coaster. This is just what i have noticed, so take it at that.

Yes this is all true. Milk isnt a good post workout protien source, whey is much better suited for it. Milk is great at any time throughout the day and before bed.

Pounditz

Awards
Have you ever heard of Yogurt Cheese? Its cultured and contains 2g of protein and 1g sugar and 1g fat per Tbsp. Its kinda yogurt, kinda a sweet cream style cheese. Just got a new container and going to see how my body likes it.

andreynort

andreynort

Awards
what to eat really depends on your goals.I recommend eggs+milk+meat