Squats and deadlifts - ESSENTIAL? Aid in debate

Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.73%

Quote Originally Posted by Ju1cedUp View Post
    o and when i was arguing my point on the other forum, from the start i said they were essential to maximizing potential in all workouts. so you've been arguing all this time for nothing

to be in exact words cuz u will find a way to say suttin stupid.. i said they increase the rate of growth, even exponentially as i feel in my case.
    I haven't been arguing for nothing, and if you still don't understand what I'm actually saying then I really don't know how I can explain it any more clearly than I already have. I understand EXACTLY what you said and for the most part agree with you as I have explained repeatedly, I just think there are always exceptions to the rule (and there were one or two other points I made as well).

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.65%

Quote Originally Posted by Squelchy View Post
    I haven't been arguing for nothing, and if you still don't understand what I'm actually saying then I really don't know how I can explain it any more clearly than I already have. I understand EXACTLY what you said and for the most part agree with you as I have explained repeatedly, I just think there are always exceptions to the rule (and there were one or two other points I made as well).
    NO BELIEVE ME YOU'VE EXPLAINED ENOUGH!!

TIME TO QUIT
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.73%

If you want to stop posting then fair enough, but don't try telling me what to do, there's a good girl.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.65%

If you want to stop posting then fair enough, but don't try telling me what to do, there's a good girl.
    =-o OMG i'm so sorry i'll stop

i forgot ur such a big bad ass!!!!
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.73%

There's a good girl.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.65%

There's a good girl.
    for everyone looking in..

thats supposed to be funny
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.73%

For someone who's repeatedly claimed he's going to stop posting in this thread you sure seem to want to keep going.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.94%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

lets make this simple:

Squats and deadlifts are not necessary to gain muscle mass. You can get huge without them. It just take much more time and your physique isn't as functional.

That being said, why not do squats and deadlifts and get stronger/bigger faster with more functional strength rather than wasting your time cuz your a *****.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.4%

Didn't read the whole thread yet, though I plan to eventually - the OP is asking something ridiculous.

Of course deadlifts and squats aren't ESSENTIAL/NECESSARY to gain muscle. You could gain muscle masturbating 24 hours a day, or in agonizing contortions while flailing your self with a whip. It is horribly obvious no one exercise is absolutely required to gain muscle...perhaps other than BREATHING and other basic organ functions.

The only significant argument of any value regarding these exercises is just how valuable they are beyond necessity (which no exercise is). And, in this case, the general consensus is that they are far and away the BEST set of exercises for overall body musculature stimulation and activation.

So, if your goal is overall muscle development and growth, you are wasting your time, short changing yourself, wimping out, being ineffectual, etc, if you ignore these two exercises. Sorry if this horse is already long past dead, or if the OP/protagonists are just too thick headed to understand. I just had to add my 2cents.
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.14%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Why are you so afraid to respond to my questions?

Please respond with correct or incorrect answers to these statements:

1) Back squats and conventional deadlifts are amazing mass building movements that most people will grow extremely well from.

2) Almost everyone will grow better from having some form of squat and deadlift in their routine, even if not the back squat and conventional deadlift.

3) It is not absolutely necessary to squat and deadlift to build muscle, although in almost every case it helps

4) There is a small minority of people who, for various reasons such as limb length, flexibility issues and muscle imbalances, will get better results from exercises other than the back squat and conventional deadlift.

5) There is an even smaller, very small minority of people who, for various reasons such as limb length, flexibility issues and muscle imbalances, will get better results from exercises other than ANY form of the squat and deadlift.

6) Squats and deads are essential, therefore paraplegic bodybuilders do not exist and are completely imaginary.
    1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) You're an idiot. If I've never worked out before fu*king pushups will build muscle. If I build 28" wheels with squats of course I can add some new muscle by switching to new exercises. Nobody is building those wheels without squatting and deadliftin though.
    4) Work on your flexibility and imbalances until you CAN squat and deadlift.
    5) See 4
    6) You're an idiot. Paraplegic bodybuilders are not symmetric therefore are not relevant. Thats like telling me since half the people at my gym don't squat or deadlift but have a decent peak on their biceps I should work out like them.

"Don't argue with me to try to validate yourself. If I wanted to look like you and perform like you I'd train like you. I don't, so I won't."
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.94%

this db got owned haha
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  158 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.3%

What are you talking about? No machine replicates a square and/or a deadlift. There are machines that TRY, but they are definitely not successful.
    why are you trying to argue with me, i do squats and deads all the time i'm just sayiing there are similar exercises NOT THE EXACT SAME chill out braaah
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  156 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.6%

this thread is damn amusing....I'm going to continue squatting and deadlifting because every time I lift more on those 2 exercises, guaranteed weight will shoot up in all the other 'supportive' exercises etc such as curls/rows - which means more strength which to me means `i can overload my muscles with more weight and stress them more so therefore they should grow more as long as a good diet is feeding them...
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.6%

1. Free weights are better than machines because they tear and use more accessory muscles.

2. Squats are the best free weight exercise for legs because they tear the most fibers in all accessories muscles in the legs.

3. Legs muscles are the largest muscles of the body.

1 + 2 + 3 + upper body workout > upper body workout ....period
  15. New Member
    Stats
    4'10"  75 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.67%

First thread
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.21%

I cant believe this is a 7 page debate!
    You are your own maker. Train dirty.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.02%

Squats deads bench power clean > every other exercise.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83%

Wondering if anyone has any advice....when im squating im favoring my right leg pretty well anyone know how to fix this?
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.35%

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_The_Boss View Post
    Wondering if anyone has any advice....when im squating im favoring my right leg pretty well anyone know how to fix this?
    Well, start by "consciously" pushing evenly with both legs/feet. Do not favor the rt side. Allow the left side to gain the feel of even pushing. Stay aware of when you are doing it and don't do it. If you have to, back the weight off some and slowly work back up balanced.
    It reminds me of when my knees came in when I first started. I got a bunch of info on weaknesses and etc. but a few guys just told me to "STOP" doing it. That worked very well and I have not looked back.
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.95%

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_The_Boss View Post
    Do you use a mirror? It helps alot with that
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83%

No I dont have a mirror but thanks for the info il have the guy I workout with yell at me when im favoring my right side and consitrate a lot more on going up evenly

Similar Forum Threads

1. Weight Belt for squats/deadlifts?
    By arfcommer in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 03:15 PM
  2. deadlifts vs. squats
    By bound in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 04:17 PM
  3. squats or leg press with deadlifts?
    By marcink99 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6