lean bulk

classic27

My goal is to put on 10 to 15lbs, without getting too fat, over six months. What do you all think?

1) 1cup oatmeal, 1 cup egg whites, maybe a whole egg or two

2) 50grams whey, 1 glass fat free milk, 1 or 2 tbs peanut butter, fruit

3) 1 cup brown rice, 8oz lean ground turkey

4) post workout: 50 grams whey, 1 cup fat free milk, 25 grams sugar

5) 1 cup brown rice, 8oz lean ground turkey

6) scoop of whey(would use casein but its cheaper for me to use whey) in milk with peanut butter or cottage cheese with peanut butter

supplements: creatine, whey, mult vita/min, fish oil, caffeine

slackadjuster

Awards
That is def a clean diet. Is the weight posted in your profile correct? How active are you? What is your BMR? Just some things to think about. You can start with the diet you listed and track your weight weekly. If you gain too quickly, cut some calories. Not fast enough, add some calories.

Also...your weight training??? What program? Need a little info.

joelast

joelast

Awards
10 to 15 lbs of lean mass in 6 months would be awesome, Arnold said that after a few years of training you can only hope to put on 12 lbs of lean mass a year if clean bulking. Thats not to say your goal is un-atainable. You diet looks very clean, I would recommend you start there and analyze your progress after three weeks. Also keep some cardio in you routine, i find it keeps me feeling healthy and will keep of the weight loss (plus it allows for a little extra eating). You know your body better than anyone else on here so just train you balls of, eat, and rest and , 10-15 lbs is alot but it'd be tight if you were able to do it.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
There are SO many factor sinvolved as evidenced by slackadjuster's questions. However, to break it down, adding 10-15 pounds in 6 months, there is probably no shot of you NOT getting fat even if you ate the cleanest diet ever.

I agree with joelast, take your starting point and diet and see where you are at after about 2-4 weeks. You can make any necessary adjsutments then if you feel like you are adding too much BF.

classic27

There are SO many factor sinvolved as evidenced by slackadjuster's questions. However, to break it down, adding 10-15 pounds in 6 months, there is probably no shot of you NOT getting fat even if you ate the cleanest diet ever.

I agree with joelast, take your starting point and diet and see where you are at after about 2-4 weeks. You can make any necessary adjsutments then if you feel like you are adding too much BF.
I am 5'9 and around 170lbs. I am 22 years old. I have been working out for several years but took a month or so off lately and lost a little bit of muscle. I train 5 times a week. All big body parts are trained once a week. Arms are trained twice a week. My calves and abs are trained two to three times a week. My cardio is usually a steady 10 to 20mins at the end of each workout. My bodyfat is around 10% im guessing. My stomach tends to hold more fat than any other place on my body. You can only see my abs when flexed. I want to put on as much size as possible in six months because I will be competeing in a little over 9 months.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that weight is possible in the time frame, 2lbs a month isn't too bad. you will just have to monitor calories SUPER closely to be able to make real adjustments of as little as 50 cal a day. its the only way to really maximize gains while minimizing fats. What is your training routine like?

Team Appnut

Rah22491

Awards
My goal is to put on 10 to 15lbs, without getting too fat, over six months. What do you all think?

6) scoop of whey(would use casein but its cheaper for me to use whey) in milk with peanut butter or cottage cheese with peanut butter

Thats a good start but if i counted right you are only getting around 150g carbs..I would start at 200g and more than likely you will need to get up around 250 to gain. Start at 200g for three weeks and if you dont gain then up ur carbs by 50 every three weeks till you start gaining. I would start out adding sum more carbs post wo for sure..Hope this helps

classic27

I have counted this diet all up and its just under 3000 cals, just under 200 carbs, and just under 100. The protein was nearly 300 I think. Should i adjust these ratios?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
those are workable. your best bet is to have it written down, track what you actually do and stick with that for a month, then change the macros. everyones body is different so you have to see what works best for your body and lifestyle.

njp1185

Awards
try to get more protein from food. whey is good, but muscles need food!

classic27

try to get more protein from food. whey is good, but muscles need food!
I do agree with you but the whey is for convenince and its cheap. I'm eating a pound of meat, 5 or 6 eggs, cottage cheese, peanut butter, milk, so I am not completely relying on supplements. I will try to eat more protein from food when I have the down time to do so.

classic27

Does anyone think that almost a hundred grams of fat is too high? Should i raise my carbs so I am taking in closer to two grams per pound of body weight? Do you think arginine would be something worthwhile adding to my supplements? What about gutamine and BCAAs? I realize food comes first when trying to gain weight but you alls opinions on these supplements would be much appreciated.

b18cyaaa

b18cyaaa

Awards
I would definetely do arginine and glutamine. Arginine is going to increase blood flow and nutrients to your muscle. In addition it raises test levels. I would look into some L- orinthine (sp?) it is an amino acid in White Blood/Flood which also boosts test levels. L-glutamine is great for reducing muscle fatigue during workouts and relieving soreness post workout. I take both the supps along with creatine and whey. Good luck on those 10 lbs.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone think that almost a hundred grams of fat is too high? Should i raise my carbs so I am taking in closer to two grams per pound of body weight? Do you think arginine would be something worthwhile adding to my supplements? What about gutamine and BCAAs? I realize food comes first when trying to gain weight but you alls opinions on these supplements would be much appreciated.
I would keep the fats there. More often than not, if you are natural, once you have met a good carb number fats are good and necessary for you.

As for arginine, glut and bcaas, each of these would be great. There are a few that I have been using that I would HIGHLY recommend by All American EFX-the Flex Wheeler Series...
Cell Rush
LBA (Lean BEef Aminos)
LG5 (glutmaine product)
Sincerely, these products are specifically made for natural athletes and is PURE! I have used them over the last couple of months and have never had the results I have acheived. Try it and let me know how it goes.

AABigRick

Awards
  • Established
I would look into taking creatine with beta alanine to help retain as much as possible. The above mentioned Cell Rush is awsome.

TigerStealth

Awards
I would also say cardio is important during a lean bulk for us natties. However, I have found that my lean bulk phases are the most effective when I encorporate 1 day of HIIT cardio and 0 days of low intensity cardio. Now some people may still need LIT on a lean bulk but I think it is very helpful to keep 1 day of HIIT cardio in. HIIT cardio will actually leave your quads/hams quite sore if you go hard enough and is a great full body workout. My abs even get sore from sprints i guess from bring my knees up high while sprinting. Also HIIT cardio greatly strengthens your heart, the most important muscle of all

lowdose22

Awards
all i can say is eat anti estrogenice foods, incorporate aerobic,anaerobic and whole body exercises and keep a diary :)

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established

Definitely doable man :thumbsup: I LOVE GETTING DONE WITH A COMPETITION AND GETTING TO LEAN BULK!!!!! MMMMMM CARBS!!!!!! But I don't start my bulk cycle till two weeks from now (gotta slowly introduce the body back into higher calories, higher carbs, etc.) :( but soon enough :D. I highly recommend you look go to bodybuilding.com and seard for "Lean Mass Diet" it will help you tremendously and may even get you to where you want to be quicker than six months (seems a little long to me :D) but like everyone says diet is KEY. You can do it brother. It's time to get fired up and get the ball rolling! Natty bulking baby! Goodluck bro

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would also say cardio is important during a lean bulk for us natties. However, I have found that my lean bulk phases are the most effective when I encorporate 1 day of HIIT cardio and 0 days of low intensity cardio. Now some people may still need LIT on a lean bulk but I think it is very helpful to keep 1 day of HIIT cardio in. HIIT cardio will actually leave your quads/hams quite sore if you go hard enough and is a great full body workout. My abs even get sore from sprints i guess from bring my knees up high while sprinting. Also HIIT cardio greatly strengthens your heart, the most important muscle of all
Personally I like low intensity but I will mix it up and throw in HIIT (which is GREAT cardio) every now and then as it is beneficial in aiding in increasing VO2 max so more fat burn :D. but yep cardio is a great addition to a bulk and should most definitely be done in some fashion.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you can not gain muscle ,and loss fat at the same time.
Actually, you CAN!!! (I successfully do this all the time, both myself and my clients, and so do many other people on these forums). It takes knowing your body and the perfect manipulation of diet and/or training to achieve, though, and is far slower than either outright cutting or bulking.

your body fat % might inprove
If your % bodyfat (% BF) decreases and your weight remains the same, then you have gained lean body mass (LBM) and lost bodyfat (BF). If you gain weight but your % BF decreases, then, depending on the % BF then you have also gained LBM and lost BF.

For example:.

Scenario A
Subject starts at 90kg at 10% BF.
Subject ends at 90kg at 9% BF.
Start: 9kg BF, 81kg LBM
End: 8.1kg BF, 81.9kg LBM (-0.9kg BF, +0.9kg LBM)

Scenario B
Subject ends at 95kg at 9% BF
End: 8.55kg BF, 86.45kg LBM (-0.45kg BF, +5.45kg LBM)

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Arnold said that after a few years of training you can only hope to put on 12 lbs of lean mass a year if clean bulking.
i did not know Arnold said that. I do know this is true if everything is right..thats a pound of muscle in one month..and this is naturally. With that said, how many of us have every thing perfect? training(form) , a handle on diet-big key, sleep, and natural anabolics. (creatine, beta alanine, glutamine, etc whatever works for you)

Actually, you CAN!!! (I successfully do this all the time, both myself and my clients, and so do many other people on these forums). It takes knowing your body and the perfect manipulation of diet and/or training to achieve, though, and is far slower than either outright cutting or bulking.

If your % bodyfat (% BF) decreases and your weight remains the same, then you have gained lean body mass (LBM) and lost bodyfat (BF). If you gain weight but your % BF decreases, then, depending on the % BF then you have also gained LBM and lost BF.

For example:.

Scenario A
Subject ends at 90kg at 9% BF.
End: 8.1kg BF, 81.9kg LBM (-0.9kg BF, +0.9kg LBM)

Scenario B
Subject ends at 95kg at 9% BF
End: 8.55kg BF, 86.45kg LBM (-0.45kg BF, +5.45kg LBM)

~Rosie
Team APPNUT
you can but it is not going to be a big increase especially as a person adds more and more muscle. When the calories are in surplus mode a person builds muscle much faster, provided training is intense(and heavy) enough to stimulate muscle.

I just think doing calorie surplus mode it is much easier. sleep seems to be better because you are not calorie restricted verses calorie restriction phases sleep can be impaired.

When I am dieting for a show I am happy to maintain the muscle I have from that "off season". Do I really think I'll add some? not really. I mean it is possible but with the calorie restriction I am not going to risk injury and train hard, heavy and intense as I do in the calorie surplus mode

remember when you are not taking in carbs , body fat goes in the single digits , injuries are more likely to happen. so thats why I think it is a good idea to still train intense, just not as intense, getting down into the single digit body fat levels, and especially back off on intensity the last two weeks before the show.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you can but it is not going to be a big increase especially as a person adds more and more muscle. When the calories are in surplus mode a person builds muscle much faster, provided training is intense(and heavy) enough to stimulate muscle.

I just think doing calorie surplus mode it is much easier. sleep seems to be better because you are not calorie restricted verses calorie restriction phases sleep can be impaired.

When I am dieting for a show I am happy to maintain the muscle I have from that "off season". Do I really think I'll add some? not really. I mean it is possible but with the calorie restriction I am not going to risk injury and train hard, heavy and intense as I do in the calorie surplus mode

remember when you are not taking in carbs , body fat goes in the single digits , injuries are more likely to happen. so thats why I think it is a good idea to still train intense, just not as intense, getting down into the single digit body fat levels, and especially back off on intensity the last two weeks before the show.
As I said, it is much slower than either outright cutting or bulking and not everyone has the discipline or knows what to do to achieve it.

Everyone is different, John, and will have their preferred method of nutrition and training. However, if you're trying for fat loss that you do NOT have to restrict calories IF you increase your energy expenditure (i.e. I just add in 2-4 more cardio sessions if I want more fat loss). And not taking in carbohydrates does not necessarily mean that one can get into single digits re body composition; if you're NOT having ENOUGH carbohydrates fat loss is hindered (anything less than 50g of carbohydrates a day affects fat metabolism).

I am not arguing what works for you. We each have our own way of doing things to get results and what works for one person is not always going to work for another. It's all about finding the right balance for YOU.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree on the low carbs. may work for some people but I have done it and I do not feel good on it.

and that is a good point about just adding more cardio to burn the calories off. I personally like cardio because it elevates my mood.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I do agree with you but the whey is for convenince and its cheap. I'm eating a pound of meat, 5 or 6 eggs, cottage cheese, peanut butter, milk, so I am not completely relying on supplements. I will try to eat more protein from food when I have the down time to do so.
Good idea to keep to real foods instead of powders, which usually store as some fat. Also make sure you are drinking enough water or you will def have more fat storage then you expect.

What is your body type? I think 10-15 would be hard for an ecto

Bigbuttchicks

Awards
few things
drop the milk and either eat more protein from a shake or more carbs from your brown rice

seconds where is your red meat in the diet? BEEF SHOULD BE A STAPLE for a bodybuilder IMO

and you might want to drop the fruit and again replace it with something more complex like oats or brown rice

let me know how it goes

Bigbuttchicks

Awards
y do u feel cardio while bulking is more important for natties?

Bigbuttchicks

Awards
I think that TOO many natural athletes hold back gains by trying to stay lean year rond. HOW MANY NATURAL guys do you see who are huge AND lean? ....None, unless you consider 185 big. But naturals can put on good size if they arent afraid of getting a little smooth while gaining weight IMO
anabolics change the game tho and is a whole other story

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
if you wanna stay lean on the bulk, i would suggest to drop the sugar post workout and any other simple carb. Stick with just complex carbs and fats, and of course protein. For your larger carb meals (30 grams and up) I would get some Anabolic Pump or Glycobol, this will definitely keep you lean, but also drive the nutrients to your muscle cells.

andreynort

andreynort

Awards
good start, eat more protein

Aggie2012

Awards
Here's a breakfast recipe from my old bulking days: 1cup oats, 1/4cup chopped almonds, 1cup mixed berries, and 4 egg whites mix all together enjoy :)