Suma Root in MP products

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Suma
“The Russian Secret”
You will notice in most of Muscle Pharm's products we have an unique ingredient called Suma root. At Muscle Pharm we are ready to bring the so called "Russian Secret" into the spot light and let everyone experience its benefits. Here is a little information taken from the Muscle Pharm site, enjoy!

Nutritionally, suma root contains 19 different amino acids, a large number of electrolytes, trace minerals, iron, magnesium, zinc, vitamins A, B1, B2, E, K, and pantothenic acid. Its high germanium content probably accounts for its properties as an oxygenator at the cellular level; its high iron content may account for its traditional use for anemia. The root also contains novel phytochemicals including saponins, pfaffic acids, glycosides, and nortriterpenes.

Suma has also been called "the Russian secret," as it has been taken by Russian Olympic athletes for many years and has been reported to increase muscle-building and endurance without the side effects associated with steroids. This action is attributed to an anabolic-type phytochemical called beta-ecdysterone and three novel ecdysteroid glycosides that are found in high amounts in suma. Suma is such a rich source of beta-ecdysterone that it is the subject of a Japanese patent for the extraction methods employed to obtain it from suma root (approximately 2.5 g of beta-ecdysterone can be extracted from 400 g of powdered suma root-or .63%). These same Japanese researchers filed a U.S. patent in 1998 for a proprietary extract of suma (which extracted the ecdysterone and beta-ecdysterone); it claimed (through various in vivo and in vitro studies) that their compound maintained health, enhanced the immune system, and had a tonic and an anti-allergenic effect. A French company also filed a U.S. patent on the topical use of these ecdysterone chemicals, claiming that their suma ecdysterone extract strengthened the water barrier function of the skin, increased skin keratinocyte differentiation (which would be helpful for psoriasis), gave the skin a smoother, softer appearance and, also, improved hair appearance.

Suma root has a very high saponin content (up to 11%). In phytochemistry, plant saponins are well known to have a wide spectrum of activities including lowering blood cholesterol, inhibiting cancer cell growth, and acting as antifungal and antibacterial agents. They are also known as natural detergent and foaming agents. Phytochemists report that saponins can act by binding with bile acids and cholesterol. It is thought that these chemicals "clean" or purge these fatty compounds from the body (thus lowering blood cholesterol levels). One of the most famous plant saponins is digitalis, derived from the common foxglove garden plant, which has been used as a heart drug for over 100 years.

The specific saponins found in the roots of suma include a group of novel phytochemicals that scientists have named pfaffosides. These saponins have clinically demonstrated the ability to inhibit cultured tumor cell melanomas (in vitro) and help to regulate blood sugar levels (in vivo). The pfaffosides and pfaffic acid derivatives in suma were patented as antitumor compounds in several Japanese patents in the mid-1980s. In a study described in one of the patents, researchers reported that an oral dosage of 100 mg/kg (of suma saponins) given to rats was active against abdominal cancer. The other patents and Japanese research report that the pfaffic acids found in suma root had a strong in vitro activity against melanoma, liver carcinoma, and lung carcinoma cells at only 4-6 mcg of pfaffic acids. However, it should be noted that this equates to taking 400 to 600 g (about 1 pound) of natural suma root daily to achieve the therapeutic dosage of pfaffic acids reported to demonstrate toxic activity against these cancer cells. As such, it will probably be left up to the pharmaceutical companies to provide synthesized versions of these chemicals in therapeutic amounts.

Suma's main plant chemicals are: allantoin, beta-ecdysterone, beta-sitosterol, daucosterol, germanium, iron, magnesium, nortriterpenoids, pantothenic acid, pfaffic acids, pfaffosides A-F, polypodine B, saponins, silica, stigmasterol, stigmasterol-3-o-beta-d-glucoside, vitamins A, B1, B2, E, K, and zinc.

BIOLOGICAL ACTIVITIES AND CLINICAL RESEARCH

In addition to the pfaffic acids having anticancerous activity, recent research in Japan (in 2000) reported that natural suma root had anti-cancerous activity as well. In this in vivo study, an oral administration of powdered suma root (at a dosages of 750 mg/kg) was reported to inhibit the proliferation of lymphoma and leukemia in mice and, otherwise, delay mortality. Notice, however, that this antiproliferative effect slowed the growth of these cancer cells - it did not eradicate them. These researchers postulated that the inhibitory effect evidenced might be due to the enhancement of the nonspecific and/or cellular immune systems.

In 1995, another U.S. patent was filed which detailed some beneficial effects of suma root against sickle-cell anemia. In a double blind placebo human study, they reported that 15 patients taking suma root for three months (1000 mg three times daily) increased hemoglobin levels, inhibited red blood cell sickling and, generally, improved their physical condition by reducing side effects during the treatment. These results were statistically higher than the 15 other patients on placebo. Unfortunately, once treatment was discontinued, symptoms and blood parameters returned to their pretreated state within 3-6 months. It was reported, however, that several patients in the study remained on the suma supplement for three years or longer. They reportedly maintained consistent improvement and a higher quality of life with no side effects. Other U.S. researchers (in 2000) studied suma root's actual mechanism of action in its ability to resickle blood cells and reported their findings-which again confirmed an antisickling effect and a rehydration effect of sickled cells (in vitro).

In other research, suma demonstrated analgesic and anti-inflammatory activities in various in vivo rat and mouse studies. Another tested activity focused on its long history of use as a sexual stimulant and aphrodisiac. Researchers verified this traditional use, reporting in a 1999 clinical study that a suma root extract was able to increase the sexual performance in healthy, sexually sluggish and impotent rats. In 2001, a U.S. patent was filed on a multi-plant combination containing suma for sexual enhancement in humans. The patent indicated that the suma extract tested increased sexual performance and function.

Toxicity studies with humans indicated no toxicity at an oral dosage of 1.5 g of the root. Another orally-administered toxicity study with rats also reported no toxicity-even when suma root represented 50% of the rats' food supply for 30 days. However, mice injected subcutaneously with the equivalent of 5 gm/kg (in an ethanol extract) evidenced sedation, drop in body temperature, and loss of motor coordination; mortality was observed at 10 g/kg (again, in an ethanolic extract) when injected in mice

For more information on our products and ingredients check out our website here -> MusclePharm.com

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
So does this mean that you'll recommend everyone to cycle your line of products that have Suma Root in them? I've read studies that suggest Suma not be taken for long durations of time so I figured i'd ask.

trueathlete

trueathlete

Muscle Pharm Rep
Awards
So does this mean that you'll recommend everyone to cycle your line of products that have Suma Root in them? I've read studies that suggest Suma not be taken for long durations of time so I figured i'd ask.

In all actuality Suma works better the longer you are on it. I have been on Suma for the past 2 years, and I occasionally will take a week off here and there, but for the most parts my endurance levels keep getting better every year. This ingredient has hands down helped my training out more then any other ingredient I have ever tried that is why I made sure our performance products all have it.
As far as cycling our products on and off, we suggest taking a few weeks off between some of our products.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
In all actuality Suma works better the longer you are on it. I have been on Suma for the past 2 years, and I occasionally will take a week off here and there, but for the most parts my endurance levels keep getting better every year. This ingredient has hands down helped my training out more then any other ingredient I have ever tried that is why I made sure our performance products all have it.
As far as cycling our products on and off, we suggest taking a few weeks off between some of our products.
oh alright, I was just reading something that said otherwise so I figured i'd see how you were handling that part of the spectrum. good deal.

How many mg's will be included in the products? Or is that a "matrix" type question that you can't answer?

Little Rambo

Little Rambo

Awards
oh alright, I was just reading something that said otherwise so I figured i'd see how you were handling that part of the spectrum. good deal.

How many mg's will be included in the products? Or is that a "matrix" type question that you can't answer?
Mg will be given for products such as Wrekage and also Battle Fuel, as it is important to know the dosing protocol for these supplements, but as for Assault, Bullet Proof, and Shred Matrix I'm not sure if the exact grams will be present or not depending on the matrix.

Outside Backer

Outside Backer

Awards
  • Established
great read

trueathlete

trueathlete

Muscle Pharm Rep
Awards

Unfortunately we can not give the exact ingredient mg, for obvious reasons. I can tell you this, it is the needed mg to get the most out of it. In addition I pride my company on not just putting a pinch of a ingredient in the formula for marketing purposes, but actually the full amount needed to get the results the customer expects. **** I need these products to work for my personal use to for my football career, so Trust that we put the exact mg's needed for every ingredient to give the customer the best results possible guaranteed.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately we can not give the exact ingredient mg, for obvious reasons. I can tell you this, it is the needed mg to get the most out of it. In addition I pride my company on not just putting a pinch of a ingredient in the formula for marketing purposes, but actually the full amount needed to get the results the customer expects. **** I need these products to work for my personal use to for my football career, so Trust that we put the exact mg's needed for every ingredient to give the customer the best results possible guaranteed.
This is basically all that I was curious of. The amount for it to be effective seemed quite astronomical to me, so I was curious if you planned on meeting that criteria or adding a lower dosage.

I apologize for my cynicism...but studies done on rats just don't sell me on a compound's effectiveness ya know?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
This is basically all that I was curious of. The amount for it to be effective seemed quite astronomical to me, so I was curious if you planned on meeting that criteria or adding a lower dosage.

I apologize for my cynicism...but studies done on rats just don't sell me on a compound's effectiveness ya know?
Understandable, Thats why we test all of our products with the OmegaWave technology. This allows us to see how the products effects HUMANS, not rats.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
General Chat 0
Supplements 0
andrew732 Supplements 4
Supplements 1
Supplements 0