Protein Worth Fighting For: Banana Cream Combat

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There was much rejoicing in the Resolve/BW household on June 24th, because it was exactly 6 months to the day that our stint of waiting for our new, long-anticipated protein ended.

We had finally received our:

Banana Cream Combat

With 25g of Blended Protein per scoop for both rapid and elongated absorption , 10g extra free-form BCAAs and Glutamine, a digestive enzyme blend, 5g fiber and only 2g net CHO, this is the product with the formula to beat.

At least, so it would appear on paper - and that's where BabyWifer and I come in. We will be evaluating Combat over the next month and you can bet we'll really give it a thorough going-over.

We are real MP fans in this house - BW went into mourning the last time we ran out of Assault, and I am yet to find another pre-bed formula as comprehensive and effective as Bullet Proof. We're confident that Combat will prove to be as high of quality as MP other products, but that doesn't mean we won't do our best to remain objective and constructively critical (if necessary) in this log.

I will be using Combat post-workout and/or before bed, as I see fit. I'll comment on solubility, viscosity, taste, efficacy and whatever the hell strikes my fancy. BW will be using it like she uses all protein powders: as a lure to get me away from my graduate studies. ;)

Nah, I'll just let her tell you how she plans to use it. :)

Thank you very much to TrueAthlete, Pmiller and MusclePharm for following through and presenting us with this opportunity. You guys have great timing - we are just about out of protein powder.

And thanks to all you who join in for the fun!

trueathlete

trueathlete

Muscle Pharm Rep
Awards
Thanks for the patience in waiting this long, hope you enjoy it!!

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone! :D

I will be using Combat through out the day when I have a sweet craving or I need some easily accessible protein to fill in my meal.

I've used a couple of scoops already, mixed into about 8 oz of whole milk. Banana cream is absolutely delicious! It doesn't have an overpowering artificial banana flavor. Someone has mentioned that it tastes exactly like Laffy Taffy, but I would have to say that it isn't quite as strong a flavor as the candy. This is definitely good with me. The subtle taste will make it an enjoyable treat any time and a flavor that my senses won't grow tired of.

So far the solubility is quite impressive. I mixed the Combat in a mug with a spoon, and the powder dissolved almost immediately. I think this protein powder mixes better than any other I have tried. A+ in this area! ;)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds good :)

So far Combat Powder is among the top 3 protein powders [formulations] that I've seen (I refuse to use any but the other 2) and I've been wanting to try it for some time now. Will definitely be getting some when I am in the US to use.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sounds good :)

So far combat Powder is among the top 2-3 protein powders [formulations] that I've seen and I've been wanting to try it for some time now. Will definitely be getting some when I am in the US to use.
I don't think that you will be disappointed! LG's PB Lipotropic is absolutely amazing too, if you ever get a chance to try it out!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think that you will be disappointed! LG's PB Lipotropic is absolutely amazing too, if you ever get a chance to try it out!
Yup, I will be using some of the new Lipotropic Protein flavours soon. Lipotropic Protein is one of the 2 protein powders that I WILL use (the other is the Leppin Sport protein range).

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, after thoroughly enjoying humongous cheat meals yesterday, I'm settling down into a regressive ketogenic diet for the next month.

Combat comes in tonight as the mainstay of my last meal - I can't wait!

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I just mixed a scoop of Combat with 8 oz of water. The banana flavor is much stronger in water than in milk. It still tastes quite good, and it is creamier than I had expected it to be by itself. Some protein powders are not good at all with only water, but this banana tastes fine. I imagine it would be very yummy in oatmeal with berries.

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today is our one-year anniversary!

We'll be celebrating all day! :woohoo:
Sweet.! Congrats you guys..man I remember whn i hit my first.......11 years ago. Wish you guys many more to come! now toast with that protein:)

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sweet.! Congrats you guys..man I remember whn i hit my first.......11 years ago. Wish you guys many more to come! now toast with that protein:)
Gracias my friend! I just can't believe how fast the year went by - or how much has changed in that time.

Last year, on June 28th, I weighed 217lb and was a staff scientist at a local manufacturer.

This year, I weighed 253 after yesterday's workout (a few BF% higher, but still a large gain of LBM), we're in TX and I'm in grad school.

...Not to mention BW's gotten exponentially sexier... :p

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Gracias my friend! I just can't believe how fast the year went by - or how much has changed in that time.

Last year, on June 28th, I weighed 217lb and was a staff scientist at a local manufacturer.

This year, I weighed 253 after yesterday's workout (a few BF% higher, but still a large gain of LBM), we're in TX and I'm in grad school.

:woohoo: :lol:

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Its so true its scary! We talk in the office about how Thanksgiving and Christmas is right around the corner. another couple blinks of the eye and you'll be done with school, and you'll come home and see BW with a name book for kids :bigeyes: :lol:

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
subbed, Rosie is gonna be going back with all sorts of treats lol

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awwwwright - time for my first official update!

Today, I did not lift; it was a recovery day. Or, what that really means for me is a longer day at the lab, studying. So, rather than enjoying Combat post-workout, I had it a short while ago, as a snack before my last meal of the day.

My Initial Impression: Smooth and creamy are the first adjectives that struck me. It is certainly sweet enough to cater to my sweet-tooth, but not so saccharine that it becomes synthetic in flavor. Rather, as I said, it was nicely smooth, and creamy enough despite dissolving it in water. The banana was satisfactory - I hate Banana Laffy Taffy but enjoyed this, so the flavor is authentic enough in that regard.

It immediately struck me upon drinking Combat that this flavor would be awesome blended with ice. I just may have to pick up a blender and do that. The flavor is light, and would lend itself well to an smoothie or other blended drink. Maybe throw some coconut oil in there and have a Combat Colada? :p

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just mixed a scoop of Combat with 8 oz of water. The banana flavor is much stronger in water than in milk. It still tastes quite good, and it is creamier than I had expected it to be by itself. Some protein powders are not good at all with only water, but this banana tastes fine. I imagine it would be very yummy in oatmeal with berries.
as far as the thickness how would you compare it to LG's protein, please i do not want to compare the two, but theirs, as you know is a thick shake. Is Combat powder the same thickness?

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also do you two use milk at all with your protein? I will, only in post w/o though...would like to know what you guys have to say about it:)

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
as far as the thickness how would you compare it to LG's protein, please i do not want to compare the two, but theirs, as you know is a thick shake. Is Combat powder the same thickness?
Combat is a lot thinner in an equal volume of water - that Genus Protein from you guys can hold a LOT of liquid!

Also do you two use milk at all with your protein? I will, only in post w/o though...would like to know what you guys have to say about it:)
I used milk with my post-workout shakes for months - it's a cheap, low-gi, effective carb and protein source. But for right now, it doesn't fit in my diet; I'm just using Combat with some extra Glutamine.

BW, however, I believe will still be mixing hers with milk now and then.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Combat is definitely not as thick as LG's Lipotropic Protein. Combat is much easier to mix into liquid though. The Combat powder dissolves much more quickly and easily than the pea powder that LG uses.

I have been using milk- and it tastes amazing! The Banana Cream flavor is pretty smooth and creamy (as Resolve put it) by itself in water. Mixing it with milk makes it taste even better, like a banana milk shake, IMO. I would imagine that it would be great in a fruit smoothie.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I just mixed a scoop of protein into 1 cup of yogurt. It sweetened the plain yogurt well and still had a subtle banana flavor, but I definitely prefer it in milk.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh, man, lifting for high volume on a keto diet is KILLER! However, today (the morning after) I must admit that I am feeling fairly well recovered. I am taking other supplements that I'm sure help in this regard, but I also think Combat has begun to show it's capacity.

I used two scoops post workout with an additional 10g Glutamine. Geez, did that ever taste better than the TP Gemma I've been using PWO lately! I don't look forward to using the remainder of that stuff! :puke:

However, the Combat shake was tasty, had a much more pleasant milk-like consistency and entirely masked the odd flavor that glutamine can sometimes add to a shake.

Additionally, later last night I mixed a scoop of Combat, a cup of cottage cheese, 2T PB and 1T EVCO and threw it in the freezer for about an hour. Man was that awesome! Closest thing to ice cream that I'll be getting on this diet!

trueathlete

trueathlete

Muscle Pharm Rep
Awards
MIGHT HAVE TO TRY THAT RECIPE OUT MYSELF.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, thank God it is a recovery day! My brain is fried, I just finished up listening to 3 hours worth of molecular biology lectures - I'm saturated with words like "cytokine" and "hypoxia."

But I get to chill for the rest of the week with a 3-day rest! I won't be cheating dietarily over the holiday though; I refuse to compromise any possible progress I might otherwise make. So Combat will actually be constituting my "treat." Others get a beer, I get a protein shake. :p

I've been trying to get the majority of my protein intake from whole foods as opposed to powders, but I consistently like to use a prolonged release formula prior to bed (and post-workout, though bed is higher priority for this particular blend of protein for me) simply because it is so darn perfect for that time period. Combat provides an immediate spike in serum AA levels, but then is capable of maintaining that elevation for an extended time because of it's slower digesting ingredients. That adds up to a perfect late-night snack.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
subbed, Rosie is gonna be going back with all sorts of treats lol
Sure will have some :D

I also will be going to all sorts of treats IN the US :p

I just mixed a scoop of protein into 1 cup of yogurt. It sweetened the plain yogurt well and still had a subtle banana flavor, but I definitely prefer it in milk.
Protein powder in plain yoghurt is some nice stuff. Definitely prefer water over milk, though.

On another note, my new flavour reformulationed Lipotropic Protein should be here sometime today...

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Resolve came up with an AMAZING recipe with the Combat last night. I made it twice yesterday it was sooo good!

2 scoops Combat
1TBS Cocoa Powder
2 tsp Stevia
1/3 cup chopped Walnuts
2 TBS Peanut Butter

Mix with just enough water to have a thin paste and freeze for 30 minutes. It tasted like banana caramel fudge- something that everyone needs to try!

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok, gotta give some recognition where it is due:

Normally, I use ~25g BCAA plus 1scoop of Purple Wraath in an intra-workout drink. Today, I added another ingredient to that drink, and it ended up making me so nauseous that I poured the whole thing down the sink.

So, no intra-workout goodness for me, and that typically equals drastically reduce recovery capacity and increased soreness.

However, I downed 2.5 scoops of Combat as soon as I was done, hoping to minimize the "damage." When I got home, I downed an extra 5g Leucine, and between the two I cannot tell at all that I missed my intra-workout drink. To me, a guy who values intra-workout nutrition very highly, that is impressive. All The Whey hasn't provided such compensation, nor did True Protein.

Now, my muscular stamina while I lifted was down quite a bit while lifting, so I still know that I need intra-workout "help" (RECON! RECON! RECON! C'MON! :D), but knowing that Combat's "got my back" in terms of post-workout recovery is a definite plus.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Assault is designed for intraworkout nutrition, as well as pre-workout. Recon will be best served as a post workout due to the ingredient profile. What I do every morning is take my Combat right when I wake up, then half an hour later I take a battle fuel, then finally right before I start lifting which is about 1.5 hours after the combat I begin drinking my Assault and make sure its done by my second exercise. Since your style of training is different I would suggest using the Assault 15 minutes before lifting and you would be covered.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Assault is designed for intraworkout nutrition, as well as pre-workout. Recon will be best served as a post workout due to the ingredient profile. What I do every morning is take my Combat right when I wake up, then half an hour later I take a battle fuel, then finally right before I start lifting which is about 1.5 hours after the combat I begin drinking my Assault and make sure its done by my second exercise. Since your style of training is different I would suggest using the Assault 15 minutes before lifting and you would be covered.
That's a good protocol. I haven't used Assault intra-workout, though I'm sure would it taste freaking awesome. Using it before I lift always ensures plenty of energy and stamina, but it lacks the free-form aminos that I like to ingest while I lift, hence my yearning for Recon. Also, I've found that keeping my high glycemic carbs to either pre- or intra- workout drinks helps keep me leaner while still promoting lean gains and hastening recovery.

I'm currently out of Assault, sadly - been hoping for another MP VIP sale so I can stock up!

As for Combat, I had two scoops today in about a liter of water that I sipped on gradually between my first and second meal. It maintains flavor pretty well - despite being diluted in such a volume. Expectedly, it lost some of its creaminess, but retained a banana "tang."

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Recon is not going to give you a big carb spike, its only like 25g per serving and that is split between Malto, Inulin, and Honey. I will leave the Recon talk there for now though...

I know what you mean about the aminos during a workout, sometimes I will throw some Pepto Pro in my Assault. I have used lemonade Xtend with the Rasp Lemonade Assault before and that was outstandingly good, but Xtend is out of my price range at the moment.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You're right about the Recon - it's been a while since I looked at the ingredients and I had forgotten that it contained inulin and honey. I can definitely see those more post-workout than intra. Not sure a lump of slow digesting carbs is what I want sitting in my guy while I lift.

You've got me totally wishing for some Assault now - I've got Lemonade Purple Wraath that would go perfectly with it and some extra leucine... :food:

On an entirely off-subject note, I tried self myofascial release last night. That is an excruciatingly good experience. My legs were rife with DOMS before, but after about 20min of thorough rolling, they felt exponentially better. Additionally, that has got to be the best thing I've tried for relaxing my hip flexors.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Dude myofascial release is awesome. What are you using, a Foam roller? Here is my routine for ART/MFR
Foam Roll - Back, lats, IT bands, Calfs, quads, Hip Flexors/groin
Tigger Tail - Hamstrings, Back, Traps, Calfs
Tennis Ball Peanut - Bottom of the feet, calfs, Glutes, Neck/traps, Triceps
Trigger Wheel - Chest, Shoulders, and any acute pains, biceps, forearms
Spiky Ball - Feet, Spinal Erectors

I don't do everyone of those every day, but sometimes those little exercises make a world of difference in how I feel.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, all I had was a roller - I love that tennis ball idea! At this point, I'm planning on incorporating SMR whenever tightness or soreness is inhibiting other activity, and for working those knots out in my feet that I never even realize I have until someone touches them.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Its pretty cool, if you tell someone to try and touch there toes and then have them roll their feet out on the peanut for a minute each foot they will be able to reach further if they try again in most cases.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I am still thoroughly enjoying Combat. Every night I have been making the banana nut frozen fudge treat. I is quite filling, but so delicious. The peanut butter and walnuts taste delicious combined with the creamy banana taste. :lick:

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am still thoroughly enjoying Combat. Every night I have been making the banana nut frozen fudge treat. I is quite filling, but so delicious. The peanut butter and walnuts taste delicious combined with the creamy banana taste. :lick:
FEDEX me some :food: !!!!

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
alright either way I am down.:)

edwardyi

edwardyi

Awards
Awwwwright - time for my first official update!

Today, I did not lift; it was a recovery day. Or, what that really means for me is a longer day at the lab, studying. So, rather than enjoying Combat post-workout, I had it a short while ago, as a snack before my last meal of the day.

My Initial Impression: Smooth and creamy are the first adjectives that struck me. It is certainly sweet enough to cater to my sweet-tooth, but not so saccharine that it becomes synthetic in flavor. Rather, as I said, it was nicely smooth, and creamy enough despite dissolving it in water. The banana was satisfactory - I hate Banana Laffy Taffy but enjoyed this, so the flavor is authentic enough in that regard.

It immediately struck me upon drinking Combat that this flavor would be awesome blended with ice. I just may have to pick up a blender and do that. The flavor is light, and would lend itself well to an smoothie or other blended drink. Maybe throw some coconut oil in there and have a Combat Colada? :p
man the way you said it makes me want to buy a tub of combat!! by the way, just curious, are you a graduate student researching at UT of Austin?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good! I am thoroughly satisfied with Combat - both PWO and before bed it has been working quite well.

As for your question, your darn close - I'm a grad student studying at UTSW in Dallas.

Also, Combat can be had for a really good price right now. You can PM me for details if interested.