MGN Chocolate Whey Protein Isolate Review

Huskie35

Awards
Hello all,

Today I will be reviewing Muscle Gauge Nutrition's Whey Isolate protein. I won 50...yes, 50lbs of it in a winner take all fantasy football league. I ended up giving some to the 2nd place finisher and am now down to about 30lbs. Big thanks to MGN for such a generous promo.

A little background about me: I have been lifting seriously for about 4 years. Currently weigh 190lbs and am shooting for somewhere in the 205-210 range and then cutting to 175 for my first show in a little under a year.

Now to the review, I am going to stay away from "/10 ratings" as I feel they are pretty subjective and don't really add much to reviews.

Very good ingredient profile, 110cals, 25g protein, 0 fat, 0 carbs. Very versatile for both bulking and cutting.

Taste: Very creamy in both water and milk. I usually try to have it with milk and it is obviously thicker than water, but even in water the whey is thicker than most shakes. I have tried a ton of whey products, especially chocolate, and this was one of my favorites. I expected to get tired of one flavor after 5 or so pounds, but I still look forward to drinking it every day. It is a true to chocolate taste. MGN didn't try to reinvent the wheel so to speak, and have produced a bold chocolate flavor that myself and everyone else who I have given a scoop or two to have enjoyed.

Mix-ability: High marks in this regard as well. I have always used a shaker to mix my shakes and have had 0 issues dissolving all the protein. 0 graininess after a few shakes and goes down perfectly smooth in both water and milk. Tends to be more frothy in milk which I do not care for but that is more personal preference. Just letting it sit for a few minutes with the cap open gets rid of this anyway.

Versatility: I have tried everything from protein pancakes to protein ice cream and have been impressed every time. The smoothness I talked about earlier is probably the reason this is versatile in many recipes. I love getting creative with my protein and using a lot of creativeness to get my daily protein needs and this protein has answered the call.

Digestion: In the past some protein just hasn't sit right with my stomach. Could be a result of too many fillers or just how my body reacts to some ingredients, but an upset stomach really makes it tough to meet caloric needs, especially while bulking. Lucky for me I have had little to no signs of an upset stomach while using MGN whey. Even when I toss 5g's of creatine in I have no problem digesting.

Value: Obviously for me the value was awesome :). You can buy 5lbs of it for ~$60 (76 servings). About the same price per serving as leading competitors (Optimum, Gaspari, ect.). Because of all the positives I would say this product is a good value.

Overall MGN has really figured their protein line out and even when I am all out I plan on ordering from them again. A bold creamy taste, great mix-ability and digestion, and solid versatility makes this one of the best proteins I have had to date.

I plan on getting a video review up ASAP. If there are any questions you would like me to cover in the video review please feel free to ask them here and I will surely go over them in the video.

-KO

Onlychevy6

Onlychevy6

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hello all,

Today I will be reviewing Muscle Gauge Nutrition's Whey Isolate protein. I won 50...yes, 50lbs of it in a winner take all fantasy football league. I ended up giving some to the 2nd place finisher and am now down to about 30lbs. Big thanks to MGN for such a generous promo.

A little background about me: I have been lifting seriously for about 4 years. Currently weigh 190lbs and am shooting for somewhere in the 205-210 range and then cutting to 175 for my first show in a little under a year.

Now to the review, I am going to stay away from "/10 ratings" as I feel they are pretty subjective and don't really add much to reviews.

Very good ingredient profile, 110cals, 25g protein, 0 fat, 0 carbs. Very versatile for both bulking and cutting.

Taste: Very creamy in both water and milk. I usually try to have it with milk and it is obviously thicker than water, but even in water the whey is thicker than most shakes. I have tried a ton of whey products, especially chocolate, and this was one of my favorites. I expected to get tired of one flavor after 5 or so pounds, but I still look forward to drinking it every day. It is a true to chocolate taste. MGN didn't try to reinvent the wheel so to speak, and have produced a bold chocolate flavor that myself and everyone else who I have given a scoop or two to have enjoyed.

Mix-ability: High marks in this regard as well. I have always used a shaker to mix my shakes and have had 0 issues dissolving all the protein. 0 graininess after a few shakes and goes down perfectly smooth in both water and milk. Tends to be more frothy in milk which I do not care for but that is more personal preference. Just letting it sit for a few minutes with the cap open gets rid of this anyway.

Versatility: I have tried everything from protein pancakes to protein ice cream and have been impressed every time. The smoothness I talked about earlier is probably the reason this is versatile in many recipes. I love getting creative with my protein and using a lot of creativeness to get my daily protein needs and this protein has answered the call.

Digestion: In the past some protein just hasn't sit right with my stomach. Could be a result of too many fillers or just how my body reacts to some ingredients, but an upset stomach really makes it tough to meet caloric needs, especially while bulking. Lucky for me I have had little to no signs of an upset stomach while using MGN whey. Even when I toss 5g's of creatine in I have no problem digesting.

Value: Obviously for me the value was awesome :). You can buy 5lbs of it for ~$60 (76 servings). About the same price per serving as leading competitors (Optimum, Gaspari, ect.). Because of all the positives I would say this product is a good value.

Overall MGN has really figured their protein line out and even when I am all out I plan on ordering from them again. A bold creamy taste, great mix-ability and digestion, and solid versatility makes this one of the best proteins I have had to date.

I plan on getting a video review up ASAP. If there are any questions you would like me to cover in the video review please feel free to ask them here and I will surely go over them in the video.

-KO
Great little review. And glad you liked it. I will add to this as well. For the women that are not keen on drink whey so far non of the flavors that have been used taste like chalk. My other half never liked supplements and she now drinks it daily and loves it.

Huskie35

Awards
Great little review. And glad you liked it. I will add to this as well. For the women that are not keen on drink whey so far non of the flavors that have been used taste like chalk. My other half never liked supplements and she now drinks it daily and loves it.
Definitely agree. Often times I hear parents and people in general say something like "protein shakes, those sound dangerous" or "protein shakes, yuck, I bet they taste terrible". 1) I find it very interesting that adults do not want their kids taking protein, but don't hesitate to fill their fridges with soda, and 2) the protein industry as a whole has come so far in the last 10 years that there is really no excuse to not be able to find a good protein that fits your diet and tastes great.

Video review coming tomorrow! If you have any questions on the protein post them up before 3 or so central time and I will be sure to go over them!

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
I have only tried Cinnamon Bun & Cake Batter so far and they have both impressed me. The wife likes them both as well so I was forced to order 25lbs to keep us both going for a while. I have a tub of chocolate waiting to be opened in the near future. Glad to hear it is good to go.

Huskie35

Awards
Video as promised:

(cant embed because of post count but if someone else could it would be appreciated) WWW and youtube in the "[ ]".

[XXX].[utube].com/watch?v=40WxQNVZIrM

Protein pancake recipe:

-150g's mashed sweet potato
-1-2 scoops whey protein
-3 Egg whites
-Options 1/4 nuts
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp nutmeg
-1 tbsp cinnamon

~350 cals 40-50g protein, 1g fat.

Thanks for watching and as always questions are welcome!

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Great review buddy. Glad you enjoyed the protein