Machida and UFC 89

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the UFC website is reporting that Machida will be fighting Thiago Silva at 89, on the same card as Bisping v. Leben and Diego v. Alves. Could be a sweet card

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I guess you beat me by a few seconds. I'll delete my thread.

Yeah it is stacking up to be pretty decent.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmm, I wonder who Wand's going to fight now. Perhaps the Rampage rumor will come true. I really hope Thiago rapes Diego; I can't stand that guy.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmm, I wonder who Wand's going to fight now. Perhaps the Rampage rumor will come true. I really hope Thiago rapes Diego; I can't stand that guy.
I dont think Page will be fighting for a bit based on the arrest. I am surprised that they matched it this way, I thought for sure Wandy/THiago and Machida/Jardine

I think Machida by another UD and Alves by destruction over Diego

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The Machida-Silva fight is a replacement fight for Alves-Diego. That fight is no longer on 89.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
where is the Alves fight going to?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that would be awesome. As much as I am not a diego fan, he will bring the fight and most likely get caught by an Alves knee (i.e. Karo)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
rumored from mmajunkie is another LHW fight

Keith Jardine v. Brandon Vera

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
he looked terrible this weekend, however, I think he will be better at 205 than HWY. Could be a good fight though

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
he does look sickly, although I think he will be pretty good at 205 as a striker. However a lot of guys at 205 will have his #

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
I got goose bumps when I read it - Machida vs Silva.

Both men have zero losses so far in their published career - both have beaten physically stronger opponents (Machida - McDonald, Silva - H. Alexander).

And now this dream match. I root for Machida, though I dig Silva's gestures after he has won a fight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I got goose bumps when I read it - Machida vs Silva.

Both men have zero losses so far in their published career - both have beaten physically stronger opponents (Machida - McDonald, Silva - H. Alexander).

And now this dream match. I root for Machida, though I dig Silva's gestures after he has won a fight.
Dream match??? That's a little bit of a stretch. They're both very talented and have a ton of potential, but they are not in the upper echelon of the LHW class, yet.

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
Rodja, you should do a little avant or advanced research into who is upper LHW and who not :lol:

Seriously, I think Machida can be summed up as "totally amazing", now having added Tito Ortiz to his carte d'oeuvre, Silva of course got a little lucky in the fight vs. Irvin.

I seriously believe both would deserve a title shot, but also know that they are difficult to market (another UFC champion who can't speak english?) - that's why I can imagine it will take some time until one of them gets a title shot, possibly too long.

But, yeah, I think both are upper LHW, Machida even worldwide top 5.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja, you should do a little avant or advanced research into who is upper LHW and who not :lol:

Seriously, I think Machida can be summed up as "totally amazing", now having added Tito Ortiz to his carte d'oeuvre, Silva of course got a little lucky in the fight vs. Irvin.

I seriously believe both would deserve a title shot, but also know that they are difficult to market (another UFC champion who can't speak english?) - that's why I can imagine it will take some time until one of them gets a title shot, possibly too long.

But, yeah, I think both are upper LHW, Machida even worldwide top 5.
Ahhh, where to begin:
1. Machida has beaten 1 top-10 fighter; Thiago 0
2. A win over Tito mean a lot in 2003; these days, not so much
3. Machida speaks English
4. Don't question my knowledge of MMA

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
boy its getting awfully uncomfortable in here

any who.....

Rodja who would you consider better at 205 than Machida? I do agree he needs more high profile fights, but he beats who they put infront of him, and many guys seem to be keeping away from him. I mean, Hackelman even said he didnt want Chuck to take that fight.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

any who.....

Rodja who would you consider better at 205 than Machida? I do agree he needs more high profile fights, but he beats who they put infront of him, and many guys seem to be keeping away from him. I mean, Hackelman even said he didnt want Chuck to take that fight.
Shogun. Yes, I said it, despite the Forrest debacle: Shogun.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

any who.....

With the right gameplan, Rampage, Forrest, Hendo, and maybe Jardine could win. The key is to press him and look for a clinch takedown. His lateral movement is too good to shoot for anyone currently at 205. I hate the guy, but I really think that Vera might be able to catch Machida with his Thai boxing. Old Shogun could probably do it, but who knows if he will ever return to form.

Chuck would have problems with Machida because Machida throws straight punches and is more elusive than Chuck. Wand would have the same problem with the straight punches.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
With the right gameplan, Rampage, Forrest, Hendo, and maybe Jardine could win. The key is to press him and look for a clinch takedown. His lateral movement is too good to shoot for anyone currently at 205. I hate the guy, but I really think that Vera might be able to catch Machida with his Thai boxing. Old Shogun could probably do it, but who knows if he will ever return to form.

Chuck would have problems with Machida because Machida throws straight punches and is more elusive than Chuck. Wand would have the same problem with the straight punches.
As much as I hate to say it, I think Forrest would most likely beat him. HE is too damn big at 205, and as you said could clinch and wear him out. Old Shogun possibly, now who knows. I agree with Page and Hendo as possibilities, I dont think Jardine could do it.

Vera would be interesting, but to be fair Vera needs more time at 205 to get used to the cut.

See there are no definites, which does show that maybe after and if he beats Thiago, he should get a title shot.

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
4. Don't question my knowledge of MMA
lol, another armchair MMA expert - just like me.

Machida is the future of UFC's LHW.

No big deal to say Bellyman Chuck would have problems with Ryoto, even John Hackleman said so.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol, another armchair MMA expert - just like me.

Machida is the future of UFC's LHW.

No big deal to say Bellyman Chuck would have problems with Ryoto, even John Hackleman said so.
Machida should try out for the Olympic 50 yard sprint team. He runs really well, I really respect his speed.

Better yet, Professional Dodgeball.

However, I can't argue with his success. He's hard to beat, I just hate the guy's style. Smart fighting or Beijing Olympic Track Meet? It's a thin line and he seems to cross back & forth on it, but I think he could be the future of LHW as you mentioned :yawn:

I really can't stand Chunk Lidell either, and I think Ryoto would beat Chunk by decision. That's a lesser of two evils fight for me, but if Chunk hires a solid Sprint coach, it would be close.

I'm just bust'n your balls. Ryoto is my roommates favorite fighter and rip on him all day about it. I really dislike Ryoto's IMO, overly cautious style.

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
I really can't stand Chunk Lidell either, and I think Ryoto would beat Chunk by decision. That's a lesser of two evils fight for me, but if Chunk hires a solid Sprint coach, it would be close.

I'm just bust'n your balls. Ryoto is my roommates favorite fighter and rip on him all day about it. I really dislike Ryoto's IMO, overly cautious style.
Who is Chunk Liddell?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Chunk Liddell? Seriously? I thought we got rid of the bad name change jokes when Norris got banned. Step it up, Volcum, yuck, yuck, yuck.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Its good to see our new monthly troll has showed up on time.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

Jesus, there's an "old Shogun" now? I hope he can get his knee in working order, though. Same with JZ.

I think you're 100% right. Machida hasn't beat a top 10 LHW except for Soko who was still somewhat untested himself. Unfortunately, Thiago's even worse.

:nono: for saying that about Wand. I agree with the straight punches, but Wand might be quick enough.

Rob, you're going a little overboard with the weakling talk about Vera. He took down Reese a few times and stuffed him a few times, and Reese is a wrestler. His wrestling may be pretty good at 205. He is a weak looking bastard, though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jesus, there's an "old Shogun" now? I hope he can get his knee in working order, though. Same with JZ.

I think you're 100% right. Machida hasn't beat a top 10 LHW except for Soko who was still somewhat untested himself. Unfortunately, Thiago's even worse.

:nono: for saying that about Wand. I agree with the straight punches, but Wand might be quick enough.

Rob, you're going a little overboard with the weakling talk about Vera. He took down Reese a few times and stuffed him a few times, and Reese is a wrestler. His wrestling may be pretty good at 205. He is a weak looking bastard, though.
I'm just being realistic about Wand. If he continues to improve his head movement and get inside, then he has a great chance to catch Machida with a bomb.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm just being realistic about Wand. If he continues to improve his head movement and get inside, then he has a great chance to catch Machida with a bomb.
I would fricken love that

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I think Machida is definitely a top contender. I'd probably put him at #4 or 5 right now. Thiago hasn't proved enough, but he is exciting. Theirs really no clearcut top dog at LHW right now, but Machida is up there.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just changing gears a bit, but has anyone seen the most recent interview with Roger Huerta? Where he states his fight with Florian will be a "cake walk"?

I dont know about anyone here, but I think FLorian is going to beat him easily

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Just changing gears a bit, but has anyone seen the most recent interview with Roger Huerta? Where he states his fight with Florian will be a "cake walk"?

I dont know about anyone here, but I think FLorian is going to beat him easily
I too think florian will end the hype.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
People look down on Florian or think he's not much to worry about for some reason, but he's a handful. I'll take him too. Huerta's good and not all hype, but he was really getting handled by Clay until he caught him.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna pick Huerta, for the upset. It could really go either way, and it's a great matchup.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I jsut thinkb Kenny is better all around, and agree that Guida was handeling Huerta until the knee. I think florian will finish him, as those damn elbows are brutal. I would love to see Florian v. Stevenson

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I do think Florian is slightly better all around, but Huerta has that mexican machismo, viva la rasa. Plus, he's been training with GSP, which should help. If I had to throw money on it, I'd probably go with Florian, but I'm hoping Huerta pulls off the upset. Is Huerta gay? Sure seems like it.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Is Huerta gay? Sure seems like it.
What are you talking about? He trains with Salavarry, Kit Cope, and CEMO. Could he really be gay?

No, I really think he is based on some interview I saw with Arianny. I also thought Diego was, and I was wrong though.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I do think Florian is slightly better all around, but Huerta has that mexican machismo, viva la rasa. Plus, he's been training with GSP, which should help. If I had to throw money on it, I'd probably go with Florian, but I'm hoping Huerta pulls off the upset. Is Huerta gay? Sure seems like it.
When I met the dude he seemed very, very feminine. Tough bastard though.