X-guard is the ****

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I've started rolling with this guy locally who has a rediculous butterfly/X-guard ALA marcelo garcia. The **** if off the wall, and proves that x-guard/butterfly > traditional closed guard.

I'm not saying closed guard has no place, but someone with an a good open guard game is light years ahead. I'm not new to butterfly or x-guard either, I've just never employed x-guard as much.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I'm not going to disagree with this but it really depends, in my point of view, who you're fighting.

If you're going against a wrestler or anyone who really enjoys ground and pound, yeah, a butterfly / foot on the hip will go a long way for you, specially if yuo're looking to get back on your feet. It's also great because it gives you all the openings necessary to get him to lean over too much and let an arm or a triangle out there for you to get.

But if the other guy is a good jiu jitsu guy or is trying to improve position on you, he will have usually an easier time passing your butterfly guard and getting to a more dominant position or get his shots of submission too.

The best would probably to have both, obviously, but I don't know, if I had to pick one I may have to side with closed guard and having good elasticity to pull something like rubber guard which usually leaves a lot of oportunities open and is good enough to control a ground and pounder.

Just my 2 cents.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I'm not going to disagree with this but it really depends, in my point of view, who you're fighting.

If you're going against a wrestler or anyone who really enjoys ground and pound, yeah, a butterfly / foot on the hip will go a long way for you, specially if yuo're looking to get back on your feet. It's also great because it gives you all the openings necessary to get him to lean over too much and let an arm or a triangle out there for you to get.

But if the other guy is a good jiu jitsu guy or is trying to improve position on you, he will have usually an easier time passing your butterfly guard and getting to a more dominant position or get his shots of submission too.

The best would probably to have both, obviously, but I don't know, if I had to pick one I may have to side with closed guard and having good elasticity to pull something like rubber guard which usually leaves a lot of oportunities open and is good enough to control a ground and pounder.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the response. I think you're right for the most part. I believe that there are some people that are so experimental, that there flowing between moves so quickly, and setting you up, and arm dragging, and pummeling, and making you feel comfortable, only to sweep you with some open guard ****. It's just more effective against me I guess. I know a few ways to pass butterfly guard, but it's hard to pass when it's changing so quickly.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This reminds me that I really need to get back to work on my ground game. My wrestling has improved, but I need to get back to work on my submissions and sweeps.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
This reminds me that I really need to get back to work on my ground game. My wrestling has improved, but I need to get back to work on my submissions and sweeps.

Butterfly guard is where it's at. Just remember to stay sitting up and don't flatten out. If you get flattened, shrimp backwards and sit back up. And even though I know this, I still have to drill it, because I'm so comfortable on my back, I just want to lay back.

Fight for at least one underhood, do pummeling drills and grip breaking drills. Always lift the hooked foot on the same side as the underhook and fall to the other side for the sweep.

I have a good butterfly sweep drill.

3 variations:

1. Regular butterfly sweep, fall to one side, opposite side hook is lifted while you fall, near side arm trapped. Sweep works

2. Guy posts his leg back to prevent falling in the sweep direction. Push his leg back with your foot on his knee, complete sweep.

3. The guy posts his leg really close so you can't push it out. Underhook leg, switch hips to sweep in other direction, and spread both arms out and up, which knocks out his arm and leg base, causing him to fly to the opposite side.

size

Awards
  • Established
Get Garcia's book, it is worth it.

Anyway, I love the Xguard, but it there is striking, I would avoid it unless you like getting hit in the face. If there is striking then I like the rubber guard.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Get Garcia's book, it is worth it.

Anyway, I love the Xguard, but it there is striking, I would avoid it unless you like getting hit in the face. If there is striking then I like the rubber guard.

Agreed. Xguard could still be effective with striking if it is used as a transitional position not to be held longer than the transition takes.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use rubber guard a lot because of my flexibility. I like it to set up some transitions and to keep their posture broken.