Gsp @ 185

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
According to an interview with Roger Huerta, who trains with GSP, he said that soon enough GSP will be up at 185. There are alot of possibilites for him there, Franklin and Hendo come to mind right off the bat. It would be a great addition if SIlva remains at 205.

thoughts?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know why they are mutually moving up; I would much rather like to see them fight at 185, or a catch weight, before them moving on. That's much more enticing than GSP/Hendo.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
This GSP sh1t is getting ridiculous. I agree that he is the favorite to beat any WW but let him prove it. HE'S NEVER TRULY DEFENDED THE BELT (That's me pulling a Swank). Beat Fitch, Alves, rematch Kos, maybe one other guy that rises before then, then fight BJ. Then let's talk 185 which may be in 2010 given the rate at which these guys fight.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
This GSP sh1t is getting ridiculous. I agree that he is the favorite to beat any WW but let him prove it. HE'S NEVER TRULY DEFENDED THE BELT (That's me pulling a Swank). Beat Fitch, Alves, rematch Kos, maybe one other guy that rises before then, then fight BJ. Then let's talk 185 which may be in 2010 given the rate at which these guys fight.
I have the same thoughts on GSP moving up as I do Anderson. Why not? I love when great fighters step up and really test themselves. It's not likely that GSP will lose to any of the guys you've mentioned, sure it's possible. If he moves up, he'll challenge himself more. I'd love to see him fight Hendo, Franklin, or Marquardt.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would love to see GSP v. Fitch, Alves and bj again but out of that group BJ is the only one with a good chance IMO. At 185 he will be really tested against much bigger guys than he is used to. I would love to see him v. Franklin and Hendo at some point

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
Copy and paste is for pussie's, real men type the same thing twice.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Apart from Henderson no one in the 185 division has anything for GSP, Bisping might be interesting if the UFC give him 5-6 more fights to mature.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Apart from Henderson no one in the 185 division has anything for GSP, Bisping might be interesting if the UFC give him 5-6 more fights to mature.
I disagree. He'll be a lot smaller than most of the MW's. I think their are plenty of guys that would give him trouble. I see Hendo, Marquardt, and Anderson if he comes back, beating GSP.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
GSP should move to 155, and Penn should move to 205.

True Story

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I disagree. He'll be a lot smaller than most of the MW's. I think their are plenty of guys that would give him trouble. I see Hendo, Marquardt, and Anderson if he comes back, beating GSP.
Hendo has looked less than impressive in the cage, GSP would be too explosive for Nate imo, Anderson would of course give him trouble and i think be too much for the guy in the end.

The belts situation is interesting.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Hendo looked pretty decent against Page in losing a close decision a weight class above his natural one.

Nate's way bigger than GSP and pretty explosive. Nate would piledrive him :twisted:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Hendo has looked less than impressive in the cage, GSP would be too explosive for Nate imo, Anderson would of course give him trouble and i think be too much for the guy in the end.

The belts situation is interesting.
I wonder if GSP will bulk substantially if/when he moves up, or if he'll just cut a few pounds to make MW. All of those fights could go either way, but I don't see GSP winning more than 1 out of those 3. I'd also like to see him face Franklin, Kampmann, and my boy Mcfedries. I'm aware Mcfedries would most likely get schooled, but theirs always the chance of some explosive striking from Mcfedries.

I can't wait to see Hendo/Palhares. Palhares is nasty, and if Hendo loses that he's got a long hill to climb back up.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Hendo looked pretty decent against Page in losing a close decision a weight class above his natural one.

Nate's way bigger than GSP and pretty explosive. Nate would piledrive him :twisted:
I'm a pretty big fan of the piledriver too. I've watched it at least 12 times. Sucks that it happened to Leites, I really like that guy.

Could GSP hang with Akiyama? Loaded gloves and grease is permitted......for Akiyama.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah tbh i think it all hinges in how well GSP handles the weight increase with himself more than anything.

Will he be as explosive with 14+lbs of extra weight on his frame? Is his chin suspect or was Serra a fluke etc because hes going to get his chin tested up at 185 thats for sure.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Akiyama would destroy him, but only in Japan with no testing ;) If Akiyama lost, I'd be in tears. Although I'd be in tears anyway after his entrance. It's about an 8 for evoking emotional response where a 0 is :yawn: and a 10 is Joey's "Goodbye Letter to Drugs and Alcohol". Please ban me.

Was the the loaded glove anything beyond a rumor? I don't think so.

I like McFedries too. That would be fun. I'd like to see him fight Lawler as well. I think GSP could pack on 10 more pounds easy. He gets extremely lean for 170. You think GSP's gyno is prepubertal? It looks like it to me. I'm all over the place....

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Akiyama would destroy him, but only in Japan with no testing ;) If Akiyama lost, I'd be in tears. Although I'd be in tears anyway after his entrance. It's about an 8 for evoking emotional response where a 0 is :yawn: and a 10 is Joey's "Goodbye Letter to Drugs and Alcohol". Please ban me.

Was the the loaded glove anything beyond a rumor? I don't think so.

I like McFedries too. That would be fun. I'd like to see him fight Lawler as well. I think GSP could pack on 10 more pounds easy. He gets extremely lean for 170. You think GSP's gyno is prepubertal? It looks like it to me. I'm all over the place....
If I were a Mod you would be history.

I think the loaded glove thing was BS. I never heard any legit proof.

A Miletich banger match-up would be nice. They have pretty similar styles. Yeah, GSP is lean as hell at 170 and he's pretty broad. I doubt an extra 10 would slow him down much. Kermit's gyno is probably prepubertal, but who knows.

Are you taking ephedrine again?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I am not a pro analyst or anything but I think GSP would get smashed at 185. I think it will take away a lot of his athleticism. I am also not sure if he can handle the heavy hitters at 185, he already proved he didn't have much of a chin and he still seems scared to take a shot, hence his new wrestling kick.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am not a pro analyst or anything but I think GSP would get smashed at 185. I think it will take away a lot of his athleticism. I am also not sure if he can handle the heavy hitters at 185, he already proved he didn't have much of a chin and he still seems scared to take a shot, hence his new wrestling kick.
Well, I wouldn't go as far as classifying his chin as weak; truth is, we don't really know the quality of his chin.

He stood up well to BJ, and his UCC/TKO fights are a testament to his chin, and one fight is not nearly enough to gauge a fighter's ability to take a punch.

I think he went to a more dominant wrestling style for just that reason - to be more dominant. Don't think it had much to do with 'fear', really.

GSP is also a very large WW. The jump to MW would not be difficult at all, IMO.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Face it, Mullet, all Canadians have glass jaws! Goulet! GSP! The list goes on........! A guy like Tiki would expose Georges hardcore! :twisted:!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Face it, Mullet, all Canadians have glass jaws! Goulet! GSP! The list goes on........! A guy like Tiki would expose Georges hardcore! :twisted:!
Hah! Fvck that. Our former Prime Minister Jean Chretien once knocked out a would-be assassin who snuck into the PM's mansion with a knife. He was 67, I think, and opened up the door because his wife heard the intruder; popped it right open and KTFO'd the guy!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My thoughts:

1) The UFC's talent in the MW division is thin - very thin. How many fighters do we honestly feel are Champion calibre? In my opinion, not many. I think Anderson has been a big fish, in a very, very, very small pond. Maybe too much credit being given to the UFC's MWs in this thread? I think so, but obviously some will disagree. What's funny, is that Chuck was in an incredibly similar position - dominating a division with a shallow talent pool - a few years ago, and was never considered as P4P #1. Why Anderson a few years later?

2) The fighters who gave Anderson the most trouble - Hendo and Lutter - did so via techniques which GSP could and would do better. The first round of Hendo/Anderson was pretty even, with Hendo successfully using body locks and torso control to gain points in the round; in my opinion, GSP is a better functional wrestler than Hendo.

Lutter, before tapping, had Anderson in trouble. Obviously GSP is much stronger and more athletic than Lutter; while his JJ is inferior, I think he could have done more damage in a similar position.

3) GSP's size would not be a factor, IMO. He is one of the leanest fighters in MMA, and fights at what...5-6%, tops? He isn't a BJ who packs on useless weight to make his class, weight which affects his performance. It would be an easy move.

4) GSP is a ridiculous athlete. While the Canadian Olympic Wrestling team isn't exactly prestigious at the moment, I've seen many reports of GSP getting the best of those wrestlers during training; at one point, he was considering qualifying for the olympics. Anderson has definitely not faced a fighter this athletic or explosive, and I don't think the move up would adversely affect GSP.

5) I cannot see Hendo, or Marquardt beating GSP, maybe 3/10 matches. What does Hendo honestly have to offer GSP? While you always have to consider reports coming out of camps with a grain of salt, I have seen Randy repeatedly mention his difficulty in securing takedowns on, and defending takedowns from, GSP. If you assume Randy was 200+ during those camps, that is pretty impressive. Thinking GSP wouldn't be strong enough for 185 is a little silly, IMO.

Anybody want to rip that apart? I'll admit I am a shamelessly nuthugging Canadian though.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I think GSP is a threat at any weight class don't get me wrong, but I think he has the biggest problem with pure strikers. I honestly don't think he likes being hit, he doesn't want to exchange. He goes from knocking out Matt Hughes (a wrestler), to getting knocked out by Matt Serra (Ju Jitsu but with heavy hands), to beating Koscheck (a wrestler) by not standing with him, to beating Matt Hughes again but this time not standing with him, taking it to the ground. Same thing with the last Serra fight, he wanted it on the ground. I truly do think he has gotten a bit afraid to exchange and rightfully so.

Same thing with Chuck, not the same striker after he got put down. I just think Silva's striking is too precise for GSP thats all. Either way I would kill to see this fight happen :D.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am a huge GSP fan, but his striking is overrated by many. It is definitely his wrestling/grappling that has gotten him to where he is. He has made his career off of beating grapplers, so it is really hard to say how great his striking is. He is a dynamite athlete with explosive striking, but there is something missing that I can't quite put my finger on.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am a huge GSP fan, but his striking is overrated by many. It is definitely his wrestling/grappling that has gotten him to where he is. He has made his career off of beating grapplers, so it is really hard to say how great his striking is. He is a dynamite athlete with explosive striking, but there is something missing that I can't quite put my finger on.
GSP's striking has been overrated since Jump Street; probably due to his Karate background.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
GSP's striking has been overrated since Jump Street; probably due to his Karate background.
I think most overrate his striking based upon his hand/kick speed. He mixes them up very well, but he lacks that major weapon that defines a great striker.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think most overrate his striking based upon his hand/kick speed. He mixes them up very well, but he lacks that major weapon that defines a great striker.
No, he doesn't have knockout power. His setups are phenomenal and hard to predict, though.

I think he would take the match between most, if not all 185'ers. Very possible loss to Silva, though I would still go with GSP.

Lake:

GSP has never faced a true pure striker in the UFC, and has never been one himself. Not sure how you drew that conclusion. Care to elaborate? Most of his wins are via GnP TKO if I'm not mistaken.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Completely agree, which is why I think he would be sort of underpowered at 185. I can see a heavy hander throwing down at 185 but it would be tough moving up to do it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Completely agree, which is why I think he would be sort of underpowered at 185. I can see a heavy hander throwing down at 185 but it would be tough moving up to do it.
I would still take GSP over many, if not all of the MWs out there right now. His striking is very similar to that of a Thai boxer, not a ton of KO power, but solid, effective combinations. Few MMAers mix up there strikes as efficiently as he does.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha, by who though? Where are these powerful MWs I keep hearing about? The MW division is super-thin, and IMO, the only MW with something to offer GSP is Silva.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Haha, by who though? Where are these powerful MWs I keep hearing about? The MW division is super-thin, and IMO, the only MW with something to offer GSP is Silva.
Well yes I was referring to Silva in this sense. Bottom line GSP has never really fought a solid striker. What is the point in moving up unless you are going for the champ? If he loses before he gets a title shot at 185 I think it could really hurt your ranking and mystique.

When I refer to heavy hitters I just mean the fact that they are larger, more powerful people in a higher weight class. These guys sit around at 200+ lbs. Marquardt would be a good match for his first fight.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well yes I was referring to Silva in this sense. Bottom line GSP has never really fought a solid striker. What is the point in moving up unless you are going for the champ? If he loses before he gets a title shot at 185 I think it could really hurt your ranking and mystique.

When I refer to heavy hitters I just mean the fact that they are larger, more powerful people in a higher weight class. These guys sit around at 200+ lbs. Marquardt would be a good match for his first fight.
But you said he doesn't fair well against pure strikers - he's never fought one. Anyway, I'll stop nitpicking.

As I said, GSP is crazy lean AND large for a WW, the power is a non-issue. If Randy was having troubles securing a TD on GSP at 200+, than I am not really concerned in that respect.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
But you said he doesn't fair well against pure strikers - he's never fought one. Anyway, I'll stop nitpicking.
Yeah I didn't make my point very clear lol. I was trying to say since he got knocked out badly by a Ju Jitsu guy, it could be scary to see him against a pure striker. But I mean we are all opinionated, who knows what will happen until he fights :).

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

As I said, GSP is crazy lean AND large for a WW, the power is a non-issue. If Randy was having troubles securing a TD on GSP at 200+, than I am not really concerned in that respect.
Randy was having the same trouble with B.J. Guys like Randy are used to taking down and holding down bigger less mobile guys. Randy isn't used to trying to control some squirmy quick guy. That's not taking away from what you're saying, I'm just making a point.

Lakemount, I don't really understand where you're coming from. At first you said GSP would get smashed at 185, and now you're saying just by Anderson? Or do you think he would have trouble against a lot of the MW's. Personally, I don't think the MW division is that weak. It was in the past, but I think it's starting to come together. Anderson, GSP(maybe), Franklin, Marquardt, Hendo, Leites, Cote, then you have the grappling squad of Palhares, Maia, and Almeida. It is the weakest division in the UFC besides HW, but it's coming along.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Randy was having the same trouble with B.J. Guys like Randy are used to taking down and holding down bigger less mobile guys. Randy isn't used to trying to control some squirmy quick guy. That's not taking away from what you're saying, I'm just making a point.

Lakemount, I don't really understand where you're coming from. At first you said GSP would get smashed at 185, and now you're saying just by Anderson? Or do you think he would have trouble against a lot of the MW's. Personally, I don't think the MW division is that weak. It was in the past, but I think it's starting to come together. Anderson, GSP(maybe), Franklin, Marquardt, Hendo, Leites, Cote, then you have the grappling squad of Palhares, Maia, and Almeida. It is the weakest division in the UFC besides HW, but it's coming along.
Out of that list, I think only Anderson and Marquardt have anything for GSP; I think GSP would easily take Hendo.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Out of that list, I think only Anderson and Marquardt have anything for GSP; I think GSP would easily take Hendo.
I think Marquardt would give GSP hell. I'm sure they would'nt give Marquardt to GSP for his first fight at MW, that'd be nuts. I think GSP's chin is average. Not horrible, not great. I could see Hendo putting GSP to sleep, bad, but I could also see GSP avoiding the haymakers with ease. It's a tough call, but I guess I'd go with GSP if I were a betting man. One thing is for sure, GSP certainly wouldn't get smashed at 185, he would do good to excellent.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think Marquardt would give GSP hell. I'm sure they would'nt give Marquardt to GSP for his first fight at MW, that'd be nuts. I think GSP's chin is average. Not horrible, not great. I could see Hendo putting GSP to sleep, bad, but I could also see GSP avoiding the haymakers with ease. It's a tough call, but I guess I'd go with GSP if I were a betting man. One thing is for sure, GSP certainly wouldn't get smashed at 185, he would do good to excellent.
Well my thoughts are Hendo does not do a single facet of the game better than GSP - not one. He is a wrestler with a nice overhand right, and GSP has absolutely torn through every opponent similar to Hendo. I think GSP would easily outwrestle him.

What's funny too, is how everybody is saying GSP would be run through by Spider, but yet were postulating Hendo as the man to beat Silva? From my point of view, GSP is even more threatening, stylistically, to Anderson than was Hendo. All the wrestling prowess with twice the athleticism would be a hard, hard thing for Anderson to deal with. It's much easier to be successful at takedowns with many accurate and diverse strikes rather than one overhand right.

I think - if this happens - they should throw him a Leben to get things started, than a Marquardt or Franklin for contention rights, than Anderson.

I think really, I am just a nuthugging Canadian who overestimates GSP's abilities, and underestimates the abilities of the 185lb class.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
:icon_lol: WTF is that pose you're doing, Mullet? That's unintentionally hilarious. You're looking pretty ripped but a little Smeton-like in the posturing.

Alex, thank you. Finally, someone else that thinks that MW division is pretty decent. I think one reason it suffers is because there is the greatest dispersion of talent between the various orgs at 185. You have Lawler, Ninja, Baroni, Shamrock, Cung in EXC/strikeforce, the MW GP guys in Dream, and Akiyama and Misaki floating around (although I think they are joining Dream. But as you said it's coming together nicely in the UFC.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha, I'm not sure really. I hate these avatars because everything gets compressed and looks fvcked up. Who knows though?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it was because I had to bend over to get in my webcam's frame.

LOL

Fvck around. I can't get no respect - no respect I tell ya!

And isn't it Smeagel? Smeton's some dude who posts on here.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Well my thoughts are Hendo does not do a single facet of the game better than GSP - not one. He is a wrestler with a nice overhand right, and GSP has absolutely torn through every opponent similar to Hendo. I think GSP would easily outwrestle him.
Hendo has the power advantage in his hands and would probably bully GSP in the clinch. He's probably a better wrestler from the clinch as well. Hendo took down Page from the clinch, no easy task. GSP has a lot of advantages but let's not go crazy. You're comparing Hendo's abilities measured against 185 and 205 guys vs GSP's against 170 guys. GSP gets TKOed IMO.

I do agree that GSP's strength is Anderson's weakness. I could see GSP dominating but not damaging from Anderson's dangerous guard for a while, but getting KOed eventually.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hendo has the power advantage in his hands and would probably bully GSP in the clinch. He's probably a better wrestler from the clinch as well. Hendo took down Page from the clinch, no easy task. GSP has a lot of advantages but let's not go crazy. You're comparing Hendo's abilities measured against 185 and 205 guys vs GSP's against 170 guys. GSP gets TKOed IMO.

I do agree that GSP's strength is Anderson's weakness. I could see GSP dominating but not damaging from Anderson's dangerous guard for a while, but getting KOed eventually.
Well, of course he's a better wrestler from the clinch, his still is Greco-Roman; outside of that, GSP is a better wrestler.

I'm taking all of it into account, and I'm not saying GSP dominates Hendo in his first fight, but I see GSP winning via sub or GnP TKO. No going crazy, just GSP is a far better athlete.

I could see Anderson getting a flashpoint KO on GSP.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think it was because I had to bend over to get in my webcam's frame.

LOL

Fvck around. I can't get no respect - no respect I tell ya!

And isn't it Smeagel? Smeton's some dude who posts on here.
I'm just bustin balls. I think it was the leaning forward that made it look weird. Smeton has some flexing video around here where he does some of the most ridiculous poses I've ever seen. Alex showed me it, and it's great.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm just bustin balls. I think it was the leaning forward that made it look weird. Smeton has some flexing video around here where he does some of the most ridiculous poses I've ever seen. Alex showed me it, and it's great.
Ohhh, haha. That's amazing - a link is a necessity now.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I was just saying he would get smashed by heavy handed strikers. I mentioned Marquardt as one of them. I think Rich would give him some trouble too. It is very very hard to move up in a weight class and be successful, you just aren't used to the heavier hands.