Extremely serious question

daniel35

daniel35

Awards
  • Established
Ok how did the superman punch come to get named that? I don't remember superman punching anyone like that in the movies, did he do it in the comics?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's from the "pose" that you end up doing while executing the strike. IDK the person to coin it, but it fits.

daniel35

daniel35

Awards
  • Established
It's from the "pose" that you end up doing while executing the strike. IDK the person to coin it, but it fits.
Would a flying tai knee be a good counter for the superman punch? We could coin the term kryptonite knee for the counter.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Would a flying tai knee be a good counter for the superman punch? We could coin the term kryptonite knee for the counter.
Best counter is to GTFO of the way. If it's done correctly, there is no way you could explode into a knee. There wouldn't be enough time to react and counter.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I thought it was b/c you're supposed to flare out your lats like a cape. That's why ripped guys like Irvin do it so well :D

BTW, he must be the only guy to have KO's by Superman and flying knee.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
This thread is useless to non-MMA's w/o pics :)

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Best counter is to GTFO of the way. If it's done correctly, there is no way you could explode into a knee. There wouldn't be enough time to react and counter.
It seems like you could shoot under it fairly effectively, but I guess it's used so rarely that people may not be ready for it.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
It seems like you could shoot under it fairly effectively, but I guess it's used so rarely that people may not be ready for it.
Kinda hard to shoot under when its done right because it's hard to tell if its going to be a kick or a punch when its executed correctly.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I got hit with a superman once, smiled, and did it right back. It was hilarious.