Hughes vs Alves @ UFC 85

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
This will be the headliner for UFC 85, which IMO with this addition has become one of the best looking cards in quite some time. Who takes it? Tough call, should be a great fight.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
WOW this is a hell of a fight. If Alves wins he gets the GSP v. Fitch winner. good move by Joe SIlva

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Silva seems to have stepped his game up. I hope Alves wins because I don't really want to see GSP/Hughes again. Who knows, maybe GSP will go to MW after he beats Fitch.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Good fight, but I wonder if Hughes is still as motivated as he once was. If Alves wins, it proves a lot about him hanging with a wrestler.

Is Kos taking on Davis eventually?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
This is a good fight. I hope Alves hurts Hughes, but I suspect he might be the victim of some leg humping and groping on the ground.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Silva seems to have stepped his game up. I hope Alves wins because I don't really want to see GSP/Hughes again. Who knows, maybe GSP will go to MW after he beats Fitch.
Agreed. Watching GSP/Hughes 4 would be as bad as Silva/Franklin 3 or Chuck/Rampage 3.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
There 's no point in giving Hughes a fourth fight against GSP. That would be horrible.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. Watching GSP/Hughes 4 would be as bad as Silva/Franklin 3 or Chuck/Rampage 3.
Had to throw that jab in there. I agree, but I think Chuck/Rampage 3 is the lesser of the evils. Silva/Franklin 3 is just wrong.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah cause we all know that Flash KO Rampage had over Chuck was such a good fight and was so conclusively telling about their skills. :fool2:

I'm not making excuses for Chuck and it would have been a good win later in the fight, but the first punch lands pefectly and results in a quick Flash KO for the first time in Chuck's career, I see it more of a fluke than a telling sign of who will win the third fight.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Had to throw that jab in there. I agree, but I think Chuck/Rampage 3 is the lesser of the evils. Silva/Franklin 3 is just wrong.
The understatement of the year award goes to... Alexander!

Chuck/Rampage 3 needs to happen. GSP/Hughes 4 would be wrong. Silva/Franklin 3 is cruel and unusual punishment and that is banned by the US constitution.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Yeah cause we all know that Flash KO Rampage had over Chuck was such a good fight and was so conclusively telling about their skills. :fool2:

I'm not making excuses for Chuck and it would have been a good win later in the fight, but the first punch lands pefectly and results in a quick Flash KO for the first time in Chuck's career, I see it more of a fluke than a telling sign of who will win the third fight.
And the first fight was so close......

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
The understatement of the year award goes to... Alexander!

Chuck/Rampage 3 needs to happen. GSP/Hughes 4 would be wrong. Silva/Franklin 3 is cruel and unusual punishment and that is banned by the US constitution.
Yeah, that was definitely a huge understatement. I agree about the second fight, but the first fight was pretty telling. That said, I think a 3rd fight would be competitive, but I wouldn't give Chuck better than a 30% chance of winning. 30% aint bad, I'd give the losers from the other re-matches mentioned 10% chance, on a good day.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And the first fight was so close......
It was actually a very good fight in which Chuck was caught off guard. Chuck totally lost but it was a good and conclusive fight. You cant say that about the 2nd. I just cant see that as conclusive despite the completely conclusive flash KO if that makes sense. It was too flukish to say Chuck can never beat Page. Thats just absurd. All I'm saying is I really think the 2nd fight would have been closer than the 1st had that flash KO not happened so quick. So basically I want to see a third so what should have happened in the 2nd fight might actually happen this time.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
It was actually a very good fight in which Chuck was caught off guard. Chuck totally lost but it was a good and conclusive fight. You cant say that about the 2nd. I just cant see that as conclusive despite the completely conclusive flash KO if that makes sense. It was too flukish to say Chuck can never beat Page. Thats just absurd. All I'm saying is I really think the 2nd fight would have been closer than the 1st had that flash KO not happened so quick. So basically I want to see a third so what should have happened in the 2nd fight might actually happen this time.
I agree entirely, but would you pick Chuck to win?

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
What is so flukish? Rampage hits hard. Chuck threw a stupid body shot and Rampage countered with a punch to the face. He then jumped on him and pounded him out. He did exactly what he intended to do. It wasnt luck, or a "fluke".

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't comment on the luck/fluke thing, but I do agree that I don't think Chuck has no chance to beat Rampage. I don't think a Chuck/Rampage is as decisively predictable as a Silva/Franklin or Hughes/GSP.

Coming from someone who hates Chunk Liddell (and loves Rampage), that's paying him plenty of credit.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
See, Norris is a reasonable guy, despite his a$$hole ways.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What is so flukish? Rampage hits hard. Chuck threw a stupid body shot and Rampage countered with a punch to the face. He then jumped on him and pounded him out. He did exactly what he intended to do. It wasnt luck, or a "fluke".
Rampage did everything perfectly but come on that fight was a fluke because that is the only time out of 100 times a fight between those two would end just like it did in that amount of time.

Every MMA fan in the world lost from that fight. That fight is the main reason I will never purchase a UFC event ever again. I stream them online or go to the bar now.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont think Page/Chuck 2 was a fluke. It was a flash knockdown but IMO 95/100 times page beats Chuck. Stylistically, its a horrible matchup for Chuck.

Regarding Alves/Hughes I actually see Alves winning. I also see the winner of Swick/Davis and jumping up quick as well, possibly against Kos. However, Swick would never fight him (same team)

Either way, at 170, NO ONE will beat GSP.

Also, please no more GSP/Hughes and Silva/Franklin

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I dont think Page/Chuck 2 was a fluke. It was a flash knockdown but IMO 95/100 times page beats Chuck. Stylistically, its a horrible matchup for Chuck.

Regarding Alves/Hughes I actually see Alves winning. I also see the winner of Swick/Davis and jumping up quick as well, possibly against Kos. However, Swick would never fight him (same team)

Either way, at 170, NO ONE will beat GSP.

Also, please no more GSP/Hughes and Silva/Franklin
I cant argue with a majority of the times but 95/100 with a puncher like Chuck? Apparently you have never seen his KO power. 95/100 for Page is absurd.

I don't think Hughes can hang at all with Alves on his feet.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I cant argue with a majority of the times but 95/100 with a puncher like Chuck? Apparently you have never seen his KO power. 95/100 for Page is absurd.

I don't think Hughes can hang at all with Alves on his feet.
again as we have seen in MMA styles make fights, unless your name is A. Silva or Fedor. Chuck certainly has great power, but fights as a counter puncher. That is something that does not work with Page. Again stles makes fights

Regarding Hughes, he only wins if he takes it to the ground early. If Alves can keep it standing, it will end similar to the Karo fight imo.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
The newfound southpaw Hughes WILL be KOd in the first round 4 sho

terminator

terminator

Awards
I think Penn will be vicorious but it will be much closer than people think.

-I really want to see Serra VS Hughes. I wonder if this will happen before Huges retires.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think Penn will be vicorious but it will be much closer than people think.

-I really want to see Serra VS Hughes. I wonder if this will happen before Huges retires.
Hughes is fighting Serra next regardless of the outcome of this fight.

Also, how in the hell do you not say that the Chuck/Rampage fights are conclusive? He had 2 shots and got his ass beat down both times. I can see a reason for Wand/Rampage 3 maybe, but that is it.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Hughes is fighting Serra next regardless of the outcome of this fight.

Also, how in the hell do you not say that the Chuck/Rampage fights are conclusive? He had 2 shots and got his ass beat down both times. I can see a reason for Wand/Rampage 3 maybe, but that is it.
Word.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
I can honestly think of about fifty other fights I would like to see over Hughes vs. Serra. How bout bringin Arlavski back?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can honestly think of about fifty other fights I would like to see over Hughes vs. Serra. How bout bringin Arlavski back?
AA's gone; Dana treated him like **** and now he's gone.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
That sucks, Arlovski is one of the most explosive heavyweights I've ever seen

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
AA is out. He signed with someone else i heard. Breifly, you guys would know befor eme though...

GSP v Hughes i woul dcry laughing if that has to happen again. Hughes better do something.

Hughes v serra i wouldnt mind seeing.

Wandy better woop on Jardine, i think thats his next fight. I hate that mu****er.

Seem like alot of good things gettin put together. And with Dana droppin Kalib in a heart beat, you better believe the fighters are goin to come with their best now...i hope.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Speaking of Hughes/Serra, is it just me or did Serra do better than Hughes previous 2 attempts vs GSP?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
It's just you, Beo. Hughes is the greatest WW of all times. :head:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HW's is now a weakness again. Dana needs to suck it up and bring Barnett back in, especially considering the wont bring in Fedor at his price

terminator

terminator

Awards
Wow... I would think that the fact that 2 superb grapplers that have severe animosity towards one another would make for a great fight...but dude, did you watch Arlovski's last 2 fights? Talk about a snooze fest.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow... I would think that the fact that 2 superb grapplers that have severe animosity towards one another would make for a great fight...but dude, did you watch Arlovski's last 2 fights? Talk about a snooze fest.
Hughes is far from a superb grappler.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
What adjective is a level above superb? :head:

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
That sucks, Arlovski is one of the most explosive heavyweights I've ever seen
Ya, his fight vs Werdum was AWESOME!! - not to mention AA vs Sylvia 3 aka jabfest. ;) I will agree that I'd like to see him in the UFC though. HE was explosive when he wanted to be but he because very cautious lately. Did anyone see his KO at the hands of crazy Datsik? WAR Datsik

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Evans is off the card. Leites-Marquardt will move up to the PPV portion :head: That's a way better fight so I'm happy. Could be slow, but oh well.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
I think in his prime, Hughes would destroy Alves, but I just don't think that there is a lot of fight left in him. I'm picking Alves.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I think in his prime, Hughes would destroy Alves, but I just don't think that there is a lot of fight left in him. I'm picking Alves.
I think Hughes will take Alves and either GnP him to the finish or sub him...armbar or kimura from side control.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not quite sure how to pick this fight. One of Alves main weapons are his leg kicks, but those are generally not a good idea against wrestlers. If it stays on the feet, then Alves, but if Hughes can keep him down, then Hughes via decision.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
UFC 85 is looking godawful. Thinking about it depresses me. At least we have 84 to look forward to.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
UFC 85 is looking godawful. Thinking about it depresses me. At least we have 84 to look forward to.
I think it's a great card. It just lacks a solid main event. Hughes-Avles, Vera-Werdum, Swick-Davis, Nate-Thales are all great fights and I'm pretty interested in Taylor-Liaudin and Jorge-Kampann as well.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it's a great card. It just lacks a solid main event. Hughes-Avles, Vera-Werdum, Swick-Davis, Nate-Thales are all great fights and I'm pretty interested in Taylor-Liaudin and Jorge-Kampann as well.
I personally think that a PPV without a title fight is a waste. This would rock as free event, but it is not PPV material.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Workout Logs 0
Mjolnir MMA 10
rubberring General Chat 4
MMA 30
jas123 MMA 47