UFC Fight Night 13 Discussion

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Pretty good night of fights, but it didn't really live up to the expectations I had. Florian/Lauzon was good, but short. Maynard was pretty impressive. Whenever someone loses it's popular to say they should move down in weight, but Edgar looks small at 155. Maybe it was just that Maynard is really big for LW. Anthony Johnson looked impressive. Speer isn't a huge test, but AJ looked explosive and strong. The rest of the fights were decent, but nothing great.

Let me know if it was actually better than I thought. I'm doped up from having my wisdom teeth extracted and not really sure what's going on.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
You're always dopes up. LEt's not BS. Yeah it was pretty good. I thought this started at 8 ET like everything else so I missed Houston and Diaz. 8 s KO? WTF my hometown boys have taken a pounding lately. JOhnson's a beast for sure. The altitude seemed to effect some guys. Lauzon looked great 1st round and tired the 2nd.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Watch it now, Ito. They're re-playing it starting 10 mins ago, I think.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I found it a fairly entertaining card. The main event was a let down as I wanted to see Lauzon take more punishment. Karo/Alves, Diaz/Pelligrino were entertaining fights for me at least. Irvin had a nice KO too. It was a solid card and for a free event it was pretty impressive. Johnson does look promising too, maybe feed him to Alves?

snookl187

snookl187

Awards
  • Established
that was a sick triangle choke by diaz...that guy pulls submissions out of nowhere!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
that was a sick triangle choke by diaz...that guy pulls submissions out of nowhere!
I thought that was pretty embarrassing for Pelligrino. He just seemed to let it happen.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I found it a fairly entertaining card. The main event was a let down as I wanted to see Lauzon take more punishment. Karo/Alves, Diaz/Pelligrino were entertaining fights for me at least. Irvin had a nice KO too. It was a solid card and for a free event it was pretty impressive. Johnson does look promising too, maybe feed him to Alves?
Yeah, Alves/Karo was pretty good, I was glad to see Karo lose. Didn't surprise me that he complained about the stoppage. I guess Diaz has to be taken seriously. He's almost like mini-Nog, the guy is rarely in control but always dangerous. I was really hoping to see Alexander and Irvin slug it out for a bit, Alexanders chin is very questionable. I'd like to see Johnson fight Fitch, but that's not likely.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I thought Houston's chin was questionable after the Thiago fight, but now is clearly not so good. He got Gouleted out. Alves really found his range with his hands at the end of round 1 and start of 2. Even if the stoppage was early, he would have KOed Karo IMO. He was doing great stuffing Karo too.

Weren't all of those Florian elbows illegal at the beginning? It was that 12-6 motion to the top of the head right? Oh, well didn't effect anything. Lauzon looked pretty good in the first. He's got good thing coming to him IMO.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I don't know how those elbows could possibly be legal. They're spiking straight down, their was no arc. I honestly don't think their is a single person that truely understands the rules when it comes to elbows. I remember Rogan asking Couture and after some rambling Couture said he wasn't even sure. Lauzon needs to learn how to get the fvck up. In several of his fights he gets in a bad position and can't get out. Positions where other fighters with his ability would find a way out.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, he should have at least given up his back and tried to scramble out the back door or something.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
Overall a good night. Some questionable stoppages, but I agree with all of them. Karo's seemed to be perhaps the most questionable, but he did go limp, and it's better than having him get killed.

Joe/ Kenny: Kenny is damn good. Still like Lauzon, but I kind of knew the longer the fight went, the worse it was going to get for him.

Karo/Thiago: Although I probably would give the first round to Karo, it became apparent in the second half of the round that ALves was going to win the fight. His timing was too crisp.

Kurt/Nate: I hate the Diazs, but that was a damn good victory. Nate is the come back kid. Loved the showboating once the triangle was on.

Hamill/Botesch: HAmill's wrestling is so good that it makes his terrible striking somewhat effective. I'm not saying he won the majority of the exchanges, but his punching looks like a 2 year old learning to walk and yet he did land some shots.

Houston/Irving: Houston will never win again in the UFC as long as his opponents can avoid the clich. I almost want Jardine to fight him again to clear his record, but it's not worthy the effort.

Maynard/Edgar: This made me sad. I like Maynard enough, but Frankie looked like he could be a future contender. It may have just been a bad matchup, but if he couldn't get past Grey, imagine what Sherk would do to him. He is undersized for the division aswell.

ANd most importantly, Clay Guida won. I have to wait to see the undercard, so I haven't seen this fight yet.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
Weren't all of those Florian elbows illegal at the beginning? It was that 12-6 motion to the top of the head right? Oh, well didn't effect anything. Lauzon looked pretty good in the first. He's got good thing coming to him IMO.
They were the definition of 12 to 6 elbows. Which are illegal.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Card was solid, I would love to see Diaz v. Florian that could be interesting. Maynard looked very good, so much bigger than Edgar. I was happy to see Karo KTFO, maybe he will finally STFU

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I always thought Maynard looked huge for 155 and it was really apparent against Edgar.

Alves' takedown defense looked pretty solid. If he could keep improving it, then I think he's the style of fighter that could take GSP out. He's big and has better standup than Georges.

BTW, how ridiculous was Rogan's use of the phrase "rape choke"?

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I thought the Unified ruleset stated, "No downward point of the elbow strikes," but it may have been revised since then. Thst would seem to make the elbows illegal.

On the UFC website hte rules state the following:
9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head.
10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.

Is it a downward strike if you are on your back? When Randy was commenting on the downward elbow was that in the Silva/Lutter fight? I think Kenny may have been warned due to rule 9. The elbows were okay except for the fact they were hitting the back of the head. Rogan even alluded to this saying he though it only meant the spine or the base of the head and not the crown. Of course he isn't exactly the most reliable source.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wished I could chime in, but no one sent me an e-vite to watch it :whiner: kinda messed up guys.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
I think the downward elbow rule only applies on the feet, even though on the ground, the way Florian was using them, it was the same.
I'm thinking that the elbows that Florian was throwing should be illegal in that all they're being used for is cutting.

Loved the Diaz Fight (I'm a fan of both Diaz Boys).

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
Jas, I totally agree that Alves is the fighter that GSP has to worry about the most in the division (trying not to look past Serra). I'd have to give the edge to Georges still, but it could be a bad match up for him.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I wished I could chime in, but no one sent me an e-vite to watch it :whiner: kinda messed up guys.
We figured that you were watching NEver Back Down again to grasp the deeper meaning. You can check it out on mmatko.com

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
We figured that you were watching NEver Back Down again to grasp the deeper meaning. You can check it out on mmatko.com
I knew that had something to do with it!

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
BTW, how ridiculous was Rogan's use of the phrase "rape choke"?
I caught that! I was in shock for a second before I filed that precious gem into my lexicon for use at a later date. HAHAHA!
At least this time he didn't refer to Hammil's power as "retard strength." LMFAO!

DefTek

DefTek

Awards
Thought it funny Rogan defended the call to stop the fight when Houston got tagged, lost his footing, and said he was definately out (dazed but not out in my book.) But in Karo's fight he then implied they made a bad call by stopping it too early. Karo was KTFO. :toofunny:

OK fights - I would watch em again if I DVR'd it.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow, Diaz really brought it back. That pre-tap, submission celebration was kind of hard too .

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I think Diaz's retardation rubs off on his opponent during the fight. It seems like they fall right into the submission, not that he's doing anything special to set it up.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Edgar was considered a top 5 UFC LW and Maynard beat him, but no one seems to be making a big deal of it, including him post-fight. Maynard had some nice takedowns/slams, but he didn't do much once on the ground. They really need to adjust the scoring so that takedowns don't count for much unless you do something with them. That or penalize harshly for resting while on top.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Thought it funny Rogan defended the call to stop the fight when Houston got tagged, lost his footing, and said he was definately out (dazed but not out in my book.) But in Karo's fight he then implied they made a bad call by stopping it too early. Karo was KTFO. :toofunny:

OK fights - I would watch em again if I DVR'd it.
I think you have it wrong and Rogan had it right. IMO they were both good stoppages, but Alexander was out worse than Karo.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Edgar was considered a top 5 UFC LW and Maynard beat him, but no one seems to be making a big deal of it, including him post-fight. Maynard had some nice takedowns/slams, but he didn't do much once on the ground. They really need to adjust the scoring so that takedowns don't count for much unless you do something with them. That or penalize harshly for resting while on top.
Yellow Card, FTW!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think Diaz's retardation rubs off on his opponent during the fight. It seems like they fall right into the submission, not that he's doing anything special to set it up.
Yeah, Pelligrino is dominating and next thing you know he just passes to guard from side control :think: Then he sits while Diaz sets up a triangle. I really don't think a bjj black belt should triangled from a dude's guard (chime in if you disagree). I understand a bjj black belt getting RNC when he's getting pounded on with someone on his back, but not that. I'm still pissed for some reason.

Lauzon was retarded too. He just basically sat there while Florian mounted him. It was like Heath Herring-O'brien or something. No resistance.

Houston was definitely out. His arms fell back and he stiffened like Liddell did against Page. Karo may have been slightly premature, but I don't mind it and I like Karo.

Alex, what do you think about Alves-GSP down the road? He's probably not ready yet, but eventually...

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I don't understand how Pellegrino got triangled. It's one thing to get caught, but before Diaz cinched it in tight he had to adjust, Pellegrino didn't even react to Diaz cinching it in tight.

I don't think Alves has much chance against GSP. I would be rooting for him, but I think GSP would wrestle him down and pound him out or to an easy decision. You like Karo? How about PBF?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I thought that was pretty embarrassing for Pelligrino. He just seemed to let it happen.
Actually, when Pellegrino picked Diaz up for the slam Diaz pushed off the fence so that Pellegrino almost landed on the bottom. Kurt managed to maintain guard, but he fell right into the sub. Great work by Diaz. He fought like hell, even after those 2 horrible crucifixes he was caught in. He ate a ton of shots there.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I just read the rest of this. You have to realize that Diaz has sick BJJ. A good BJJ fighter can control your body tremendously. That setup was faster than you think. Kurt was being totally controlled by Diaz's legs, and he was in a bit of a guillotine right before that.

Nate pushed off the fence so that Kurt was totally off balance. Then Nate smoothly let go of the triangle to pass his left leg over Pell's right arm. Once you're there it is only a matter of time. Diaz had 100% control, and once the triangle was cinched it was ridiculously tight. There was no way out of that thing.

Lauzon was disappointing. I wonder if something happened to him. He looked shaken after that elbow barrage, and then he came back ferociously. He didn't seem like the same fighter in Rd. 2. He did nothing offensively, and looked flat-footed and panicked in every standup exchange. You gotta give him credit, though. He knows how to defend when mounted. He didn't have a scratch. I just wish he did something. That had the makings of a great fight. I think the UFC rushed him too much by matching him with Florian.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I just read the rest of this. You have to realize that Diaz has sick BJJ. A good BJJ fighter can control your body tremendously. That setup was faster than you think. Kurt was being totally controlled by Diaz's legs, and he was in a bit of a guillotine right before that.

Nate pushed off the fence so that Kurt was totally off balance. Then Nate smoothly let go of the triangle to pass his left leg over Pell's right arm. Once you're there it is only a matter of time. Diaz had 100% control, and once the triangle was cinched it was ridiculously tight. There was no way out of that thing.
I think we're well aware that Diaz has great BJJ, but Pellegrino offered little resistance in the transition from guillotine to loose triangle, and especially when Diaz went to lock it in tight. Pellegrino had an opportunity to get out and he didn't really attempt anything.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I think we're well aware that Diaz has great BJJ, but Pellegrino offered little resistance in the transition from guillotine to loose triangle, and especially when Diaz went to lock it in tight. Pellegrino had an opportunity to get out and he didn't really attempt anything.
Look at it again. The tough part of locking a triangle was already done. On top of that, Pell's left arm was already totally controlled by Diaz's legs. He couldn't pull his arm out b/c Diaz's right thigh had Kurt in a vice.

He didn't just get triangled from guard. Kurt had no control at that point. He was off balance and had no base. His predicament was much worse than you're giving him credit for.

I guarantee you that even if the triangle wasn't cinched and Diaz just held that position, Kurt would have gone out. Plus, Pellegrino consumed a ton of gas already in that fight.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Kurt could have at least attempted a rampage-esque slam.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Look at it again. The tough part of locking a triangle was already done. On top of that, Pell's left arm was already totally controlled by Diaz's legs. He couldn't pull his arm out b/c Diaz's right thigh had Kurt in a vice.

He didn't just get triangled from guard. Kurt had no control at that point. He was off balance and had no base. His predicament was much worse than you're giving him credit for.

I guarantee you that even if the triangle wasn't cinched and Diaz just held that position, Kurt would have gone out. Plus, Pellegrino consumed a ton of gas already in that fight.
I just watched it again. It did go down slightly different than I remembered it. The transition from guillotine to triangle was much slicker than I had remembered. I still think Pellegrino should've tried something in that 2 sec span before Diaz cinches it completely, but I guess he was gassed too. Just seemed like he froze up a little at the wrong moment, but that was nice BJJ on Diaz's part moreso.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

Alex, don't you hate when "studio fighters" who just read message boards try to tell you and I about the technical side of BJJ. Ridiculous. ;)

Naw, thanks for explaining Beo. That makes more sense, I guess. I'll rewatch it.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I also thought Pelligrino had enough time to escape but didn't. A lot of guys seemed to gas at the higher altitude and I'm guessing that's what happen with Kurt.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Holy sh!t, check this Manny G "highlight" out from the UFN. What a cheap little munchkin.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I now hate karo and his cousin, manny.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
not a huge fan of manny and karo always bad attitudes

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

Damn, that was some nasty work by Aurelio. Not sure why they didn't squeeze that in on the broadcast.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Does anybody else see the irony in the label on his ass?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established

Damn, that was some nasty work by Aurelio. Not sure why they didn't squeeze that in on the broadcast.
If they didn't give Aurelio some type of Bonus for that, they are just stupid. He knocked the guy down with strikes then flips into such an unlikely armbar. That was about as beautiful as this sport gets. It looks like something Hollywood would choreograph.

...and yes, the placement of that sponsor is quite humorous.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
MMA 11
TheMouth MMA 1
TheMouth MMA 20
MMA 29