dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok...now 37, I have experience in Kung Fu and Tae Kwon Do from several years back, but have several debilitating injuries (mostly lower back) from both Military accidents and driving related accidents (been slammed by both a drunk and a 93 year old man).

This is my second week...my front kicks are pretty much back to top form, but any kind of rotation or side work I am having BIG time problems with hip lockup.

It feels similar to when your fingers ache and dexterity if off...and if you could just get a good knuckle crack it would relieve everything.

Need suggestions on how to clear my hip movement up ASAP, before I get frustrated.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Jane Fonda workout could help. My friend has jacked up hips and he somewhat corrected the problem by doing high reps EOD on the pvssy opening machine.

daniel35

daniel35

Awards
  • Established
Maybe try putting a collar attachment on your ankle hooked to a cable crossover station to move your legs out to the side, then backwards, then knees up to chest with a very, very light weight. I'm 37 too and tried to get back in to martial arts about 2 years ago, and decided it just isn't going to happen. Maybe tai chi someday, but that's going to be about it.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe try putting a collar attachment on your ankle hooked to a cable crossover station to move your legs out to the side, then backwards, then knees up to chest with a very, very light weight. I'm 37 too and tried to get back in to martial arts about 2 years ago, and decided it just isn't going to happen. Maybe tai chi someday, but that's going to be about it.
This is not a bad idea, might give it a shot.

aquanutz

aquanutz

Awards
  • Established
I have had horrible hips my entire life and it feels like someone is sticking a screw driver into the joint when I do things like Kayaking (puts my legs in that akward position while sitting upright) and doing a ton of low round house kicks without a bag. I haven't found a single thing to releive the pain. I'm very flexible also, can kick much higher than my head (6 foot 2) so it's not that I'm not fliexible. I've just accepted it as part of my life.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Possibly flexibility issues w/ certain areas. I find that I am more flexible in some areas and tight in others (loose hamstrings, tight hips, for example).

Maybe a physical therapist could chime in.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
PT would prob be the best. My idea would be to strengthen the joints and work on flexibility.
Try 10 fire hydrants(picture a dog taking a leak)
Then 10 fire hydrant big circle forward
then 10 backward

Then stretch, maybe do yoga.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like your hip-flexors and inter-pelvic muscles are too tight. How much anterior leg/core work do you do as opposed to posterior?

rcaz01

Awards
PT would prob be the best. My idea would be to strengthen the joints and work on flexibility.
Try 10 fire hydrants(picture a dog taking a leak)
Then 10 fire hydrant big circle forward
then 10 backward

Then stretch, maybe do yoga.
I agree that the above helps some.

I have the same issue with my hips which really pisses me off since all through wrestling and back in the college days I could almost do full splits. Getting old is a total PITA!

The only thing that really seems to work long term is lots of repititions making sure I am very warmed up.

Rodja you mentioned some leg/core work any exaamples of excercises or lifts you find particularly useful?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
One problem is my sciatic. this dojo really doesn't spend enough time of challenging stretches, IMO.

It has been getting slightly better, but yeah - old means slow going.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Your butt is too tight?:think:
There's one stretch you probably already know it, where if your sitting in a chair you cross your leg and then lean forward.

I told this skinny blonde chiropractor lady once that I was sore there and she put her elbow on it and practically jumped in the air putting all her weight on it. It really hurt but I think it helped.

CK76

CK76

Awards
I told this skinny blonde chiropractor lady once that I was sore there and she put her elbow on it and practically jumped in the air putting all her weight on it. It really hurt but I think it helped.
My hip doesn't lock up, but after a few weeks of hard rolling I need to see my chiropractor and have him reset it. After that I get my full range of motion back.

Worth a shot.