EliteXC announces CBS debut for May 31st - Lawler vs. Smith + Kimbo

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Mixed martial arts will debut on CBS with a live broadcast May 31 at 9 p.m. ET/PT, the network and ProElite announced Thursday.

"We're excited to introduce broadcast television viewers to America's fastest growing sport with this primetime event," said Kelly Kahl, senior executive vice president of CBS Primetime. "EliteXC is putting together a lineup card that showcases the unique personalities, world-class athleticism and raw power and emotion that characterizes mixed martial arts."

The CBS EliteXC Saturday Night Fights event will take place at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler (Pictures) will defend his title against Scott Smith, and Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (Pictures) will also be on the card.

"I am very happy for the highly trained fighters, who will finally get the kind of exposure they deserve, and, of course, the viewers, who will get the opportunity to learn that MMA is truly a sport that requires an abundance of skills, both mentally and physically," said Gary Shaw, EliteXC live events president.

Showtime Sports will produce CBS EliteXC Saturday Night Fights. David Dinkins Jr. will be the executive producer, with Bob Dunphy directing.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
They better find someone good for Kimbo to fight, not Warpath.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What a f*cking joke. MMA finally makes it to network TV live and Kimbo is the headliner?

God help all of us real MMA fans.

Dana White better beat Gary Shaw to a bloody pulp figuratively.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
What a f*cking joke. MMA finally makes it to network TV live and Kimbo is the headliner?

God help all of us real MMA fans.

Dana White better beat Gary Shaw to a bloody pulp figuratively.
Not enjoying soccer kicks=not a real MMA fan

Where have you been? Jas and I figured you'd gone on a hippie killing spree.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not enjoying soccer kicks=not a real MMA fan

Where have you been? Jas and I figured you'd gone on a hippie killing spree.
Yeah real high class and skillful stomping on a guys head like a street thug.

No killing literally but figuratively I have been killing them inside with statements about Obama's most influential mentor and friend of 20 years being a racist, anti-Semite, anti-American liar.

Life is good cause Obama just swift boated himself.

Anyways stomps are low class as are elbows.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah real high class and skillful stomping on a guys head like a street thug.

No killing literally but figuratively I have been killing them inside with statements about Obama's most influential mentor and friend of 20 years being a racist, anti-Semite, anti-American liar.

Life is good cause Obama just swift boated himself.

Anyways stomps are low class as are elbows.
Would you be oppose to dropping an elbow on Rev. Jeremiah Wright?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Lawler is the headliner and he's getting ruthless, *****es. :whip:

Obama 2008

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Lawler is the headliner and he's getting ruthless, *****es. :whip:

Obama 2008
I am very disappointed to see a member of the MMA community go down and join the Marxist religion that is the Obama campaign. First I hear that Mullet sits in bubble baths surrounded by candles and new age music while reading Karl Marx literature and now you. Its almost like a family member admitting they are liberal. Breaks my heart jas.

Yeah you support your left wing radical Marxist with ties to domestic terrorist groups like the weather underground that planned to bomb the pentagon and military bases. You vote for the man that speaks of change yet festers and bathes in partisan groups that spout hatred, racism, intolerance and radical Marxism.

Obama speaks of reaching across the isle yet does not vote for bi-partisan bills. He is nearly always a liberal ideologue. McCain is the true moderate with a clear and extensive record of bi-partisanship.

Now that I have straightened out he facts back to MMA and no more thread-jacking.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah "infidelity man" McCain :yawn: great choice.

Too bad we couldn't just have Bill C re-elected every 4 years forever. Remember when he set up that plan to get Bin Laden and gave it to your boy Bush who discarded it. Then voila, 9/11.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah "infidelity man" McCain :yawn: great choice.

Too bad we couldn't just have Bill C re-elected every 4 years forever. Remember when he set up that plan to get Bin Laden and gave it to your boy Bush who discarded it. Then voila, 9/11.
BWAHAHAHAHA I'm so glad you brought out that ultimate bomb throwing and unethical biased journalistic reporting.

Do you realize there is a man named Larry Sinclair that claims to have given oral sex to Barack Obama on two occasians and to have also smoked crack with Obama? This reportedly happened in 1999.

You know why you havent heard this story? Becuase it is unethical to report it and no journalist will touch it. There is no evidence and absolutely does not meet the criteria of being a news worthy story.

This is the exact same case with the so-called McCain scandal that was completely debunked and holds as much water as Brett Favre at a retirement speech.

The Sinclair story actually has one huge difference making it an even more legitimate news story. It has a named source that is willing to testify openly to anyone that will listen. The same can not be said of the anonymous McCain sources. This entire story was a hit piece and was completely unethical on the part of the NYT and they paid for it and it actually helped McCain.

LOL you also forgot that Clinton had a chance to bomb Bin Laden directly and declined to take any action. Clinton had his finger on the button to bomb Osama but declined. Do your research before you spout typical Bush Derangement Syndrome garbage. Historical facts are a ***** aren't they? Esp when they prove your logic as being incredibly flawed. Easy to do to any lib though so don't be offended.

Seriously we shouldn't hijack this any more so let me have the last word since I am always right. :rofl:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
:icon_lol:

Guess you missed the irony in my post. Obviously, I was kidding with the "infidelity man" BS (which yeah I know is BS) if I support Clinton in the next sentence.

As an MMA "fan", how can you support McCain?

Don't even get me started on that piece of sh!t Reagan in your av.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
hahaha :lol: you guys are hilarious. I wouldn't want to get into a political arguement with either one of you.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established

Guess you missed the irony in my post. Obviously, I was kidding with the "infidelity man" BS (which yeah I know is BS) if I support Clinton in the next sentence.

As an MMA "fan", how can you support McCain?

Don't even get me started on that piece of sh!t Reagan in your av.
McCain now supports MMA because it is regulated. Dana White says McCain saved MMA. His problem is that MMA was not regulated and he was completely justified with his complaint.

And if you are serious about Reagan you need to take your head out of the kool aid bath you are soaking in.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Alright Norris, I'm just f-ing around. Alex was supposed to come in and help get you worked up as a welcome back. Anywho, I don't have time or know nearly enough about politics to continue the joke. :cheers:

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Alright Norris, I'm just f-ing around. Alex was supposed to come in and help get you worked up as a welcome back. Anywho, I don't have time or know nearly enough about politics to continue the joke. :cheers:
Nah im not worked up just having fun. When I am worked up I start slinging insults and get banned. No more of that for me.

Wasnt gone that long, I just got sick of MMA and dream sucked and so did Icon. UFC 83 sucks, Filho got depressed. Sad state of MMA so sad in fact I dont even know if I'm going to UFC 87 14 miles away from my house.

Oh well politics sucks I wish I didn't have any strong opinion life would be easier. I didn't seek it out I was born with an opinion.

:drunk:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
McCain now supports MMA because it is regulated. Dana White says McCain saved MMA. His problem is that MMA was not regulated and he was completely justified with his complaint.

And if you are serious about Reagan you need to take your head out of the kool aid bath you are soaking in.
Who the hell wants to argue with a guy that doesn't even listen to what you have to say and makes no sense, certainly not Reaper329! I would full on rape you in a political arguement, but your not worth my time.

Cnorris: "Elbows and soccer kicks are immoral and disgusting, but I'll rip a small childs head off if he disagrees with any of my political views." Give me a fvckin break, you psychopath.

McCain conveniently changed his views on MMA. I remember him saying it was human **** fighting, and that even if they changed the rules, as they were at the time, he wouldn't change his. He's an uptight *******.

Reagan is probably the most overrated president of all time. He's just an actor, and was able to get people to love him for the 20% of good he did and forget about the 80% of stumbling he did.

Later Chuckie.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Who the hell wants to argue with a guy that doesn't even listen to what you have to say and makes no sense, certainly not Reaper329! I would full on rape you in a political arguement, but your not worth my time.

Cnorris: "Elbows and soccer kicks are immoral and disgusting, but I'll rip a small childs head off if he disagrees with any of my political views." Give me a fvckin break, you psychopath.

McCain conveniently changed his views on MMA. I remember him saying it was human **** fighting, and that even if they changed the rules, as they were at the time, he wouldn't change his. He's an uptight *******.

Reagan is probably the most overrated president of all time. He's just an actor, and was able to get people to love him for the 20% of good he did and forget about the 80% of stumbling he did.

Later Chuckie.
:rofl:

Nice troll job. I will think of that as a troll job or else you don't have the intelligence level to be worthy to ever hear my brilliant insight ever again.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

Later Chuckie.

A little late on this one. :numbered:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
:rofl:

Nice troll job. I will think of that as a troll job or else you don't have the intelligence level to be worthy to ever hear my brilliant insight ever again.
Damn, 20 minutes earlier and you would've been up in my sh*t. I still can't believe you don't like soccer kicks. How about knees to a downed opponent?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I forgot to add that Coleman is gonna pound your boy at 87 "Hammertime."

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I forgot to add that Coleman is gonna pound your boy at 87 "Hammertime."
Brock will be tea bagging Coleman the same time as reigning down the hammer fists that TKO Coleman just to add more humility.

Knees to a downed opponent suck in some positions but don't in others. Its tough to make a complicated rule in such a dynamic sport. Right now I am against them until the sport becomes more widely accepted. They will not do the sport any good in the US as far as gaining popularity and acceptance.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Brock will be tea bagging Coleman the same time as reigning down the hammer fists that TKO Coleman just to add more humility.

Knees to a downed opponent suck in some positions but don't in others. Its tough to make a complicated rule in such a dynamic sport. Right now I am against them until the sport becomes more widely accepted. They will not do the sport any good in the US as far as gaining popularity and acceptance.
Yeah, I don't see Coleman having much for Brock.

It's a tough call. Do you want to water the sport down in order to have it become more mainstream? Would you even enjoy MMA if their was not striking on the ground? I'm all for banning elbows, in exchange for knees being allowed.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I don't see Coleman having much for Brock.

It's a tough call. Do you want to water the sport down in order to have it become more mainstream? Would you even enjoy MMA if their was not striking on the ground? I'm all for banning elbows, in exchange for knees being allowed.
I enjoy UFC right now and no knees to a downed opponent are allowed.
As the sport advances new rules may happen, who knows. Too bad this sport will never advance as long as Kimbo is a main event on CBS. :frustrate

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I enjoy UFC right now and no knees to a downed opponent are allowed.
As the sport advances new rules may happen, who knows. Too bad this sport will never advance as long as Kimbo is a main event on CBS. :frustrate
Well of course you enjoy it, but wouldn't you like it better if knees were allowed to a downed opponent? Brings another dimension, a good one, to the game.

I'm not too sure about Kimbo not being good for MMA. Just saying, people are retarded nowadays, who knows what they'll respond to. A gay Mr. T might be just what they're looking for, thanks Tank.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Knees to a downed opponent should be a part of the rule-set. I'm F'ing tired of hearing that they should not be. If you have a problem with it, then go to a different sport. MMA is getting watered down by the commissions and, as a competitor, I am sick of this BS.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Knees to a downed opponent should be a part of the rule-set. I'm F'ing tired of hearing that they should not be. If you have a problem with it, then go to a different sport. MMA is getting watered down by the commissions and, as a competitor, I am sick of this BS.
Do you think they'd greatly benefit your game? (Is Robdog hiding in the 4 point stance for protection?)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you think they'd greatly benefit your game? (Is Robdog hiding in the 4 point stance for protection?)
As a grappler, yes they would help me out. You can do as much, if not more, damage with a knee from a Thai clinch, so knees need to be allowed.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
Who are they going to have Kimbo fight this time?

George Carlin?
PeeWee Herman?
Carrot Top?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I've heard rumors of it being Warpath, which depresses me greatly. Buentello would be a nice opponent.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Kimbo, and moreso Warpath, have no business being on what could be the biggest card (viewer wise) in history.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
You've been staying true to the hiatus thing. I agree, obviously, but I just hope they get someone to fight Kimbo that has some chance of beating him. Buentello would do.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You've been staying true to the hiatus thing. I agree, obviously, but I just hope they get someone to fight Kimbo that has some chance of beating him. Buentello would do.
I hear Fedor is looking for work. The only case I would cheer for Kimbo is if he was fighting Fedor.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
As much as I stick up for Kimbo participating in the realm of MMA in general, I have to wonder if he may not be the best representation of one of the potentially, largest viewed MMA event so far. I think people will really, really love it or absolutely be disgusted by it.

On one side, It's not like this is public access television's first revealing of the MMA sport, the IFL has been pimp'd to hell on KTLA here in Southern Cali, and no one seems to like it. Maybe the IFL was actually TOO technical for the non-MMA fan viewer.

I believe the surmounting attraction to Mike Tyson fights were the nearly guarantee chance of seeing someone get knocked out, or simply pummeled to hell, which Kimbo may be able to deliver and what the non-MMA viewer wants to see.

I think there are plenty of guys who dislike Kimbo for genuine, philosophical reasons of wanting to protect the image and future of the sport, but I also think there are a lot of fake haters who just want to sound like they're an MMA intellect and express their disdain for the sake of coming off like an MMA elitist.

If it were anyone else, other then Kimbo, without his street thug background, who came into the sport and expressed such potential, he'd be getting praise and props by all these would be haters (again, some I respect their disdain and can see it from their POV, others I think are fake haters to sound elitist).

However, Kimbo being the CBS debut, I'm still not sure how I feel about that yet.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Shields back is hurt and he has pulled out of the WW championship bout against Drew Fickett. The fight has been re-scheduled to be on this card(originally it was supposed to be this weekend at strikeforce.)

edit: it's actually not going to be on this card. It will be on the June 14th card along with Noons/Edwards.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Ninja vs. Baroni has been added to this card.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I hear Fedor is looking for work. The only case I would cheer for Kimbo is if he was fighting Fedor.
Troll, I shouldnt even be feeding you, but could you please explain why you are a bigger fan of Kimbo than Fedor?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Troll, I shouldnt even be feeding you, but could you please explain why you are a bigger fan of Kimbo than Fedor?
I can answer for him, because Fedor is ducking everyone and Kimbo fights the big dogs like Mercer and that blonde black dude that gets KO'd via pec punch.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can answer for him, because Fedor is ducking everyone and Kimbo fights the big dogs like Mercer and that blonde black dude that gets KO'd via pec punch.
hahaha :toofunny:

tattoopierced1

Carano and Young should be pretty good too. I saw Young fight back in November, and she is lethal with her striking. Lets just hope she has worked on her ground game as she got subbed a few months ago. In Nov. she knocked out 3 people in less than 3 minutes. All very brutal KO's.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
That's cool that they're giving Gina a tough striker. Sounds like an exciting one.

@@@@@ Found this too @@@@@@@@

Kimbo Slice is set to headline EliteXC's first event in conjunction with CBS. The event will air on May 31 and will be featured on a prime time slot.
Gary Shaw recently revealed that Kimbo's opponent has been decided upon but won't revealed until tonight's EliteXC/Strikeforce show.

Dave Meltzer, of Yahoo!Sports.com, is reporting that 280-pound former UFC veteran Ron Waterman will probably be announced as Kimbo's opponent for the May 31 show.

The 42 year old Waterman is known primarily as a wrestler and could pose issues for Kimbo on the ground, as he would likely be reluctant to stand and trade, instead opting to go for takedowns and ground and pound due to his substantial wrestling pedigree.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Waterman could pose huge problems for Kimbo. He is slow as hell though. It's probably BS because Ron's not that exciting.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
A fight for Kimbo that would actually teach us something about Kimbo, nice. I'd take Kimbo by KO. I've been conversing with Volcom through PM's a lot lately, he may have hypnotized me.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A fight for Kimbo that would actually teach us something about Kimbo, nice. I'd take Kimbo by KO. I've been conversing with Volcom through PM's a lot lately, he may have hypnotized me.
Look at Kimbo's golden glove medallion swinging back & forth... you like Kimbo, you like Kimbo. Now everybody, we like Kimbo, we like Kimbo

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Look at Kimbo's golden glove medallion swinging back & forth... you like Kimbo, you like Kimbo. Now everybody, we like Kimbo, we like Kimbo
I'm aboard. He may never be that successful in MMA, theirs so much involved, but the guy hits like a truck and has a killers mentality. Any fighter that doesn't have an incredible chin is going to sleep if he catches you. What can I say, I love hard hitters, War Kimbo!!!!

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm aboard. He may never be that successful in MMA, theirs so much involved, but the guy hits like a truck and has a killers mentality. Any fighter that doesn't have an incredible chin is going to sleep if he catches you. What can I say, I love hard hitters, War Kimbo!!!!
Kimbo is a no good thug and is bad for the sport, just like 9mm.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Kimbo is a no good thug and is bad for the sport, just like 9mm.
Depends what you mean by bad for the sport. I certainly think he'll only draw more attention to the sport, but you're probably right, it'll be the attention of mostly ignorant street thugs and bar brawlers.

I don't know about 9mm, but Kimbo seems like an ok guy. I'm not saying he's a great guy with perfect morals or anything like that, but I don't think he's a straight up piece of sh*t. Even in his street fighting vids, he showed compassion for his opponent and it seemed to be a somewhat of a sport to him and not just wanting to beat someones head in. He's dedicated and seems to have respect for MMA and the fighters. He's not a bad or good guy in my book.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it'd be one thing if he walked into the ring with the attitude of screw MMA, I'm a street fighter and that's how I'm going to win my fights, but that's not the case. He has a huge respect for MMA and realizes that a stand up game without any ground knowledge isn't a complete package for the sport of MMA. His attitude is right on par. He respects MMA as a sport that requires more in depth discipline then what he came in with. His attitude in terms of respecting the depth of the sport is great and his motivation is phenomenol.

I don't think other fighters are exactly at homeless shelters feeding the poor and needy, so what's with this animosity toward Kimbo's "if'y" background or character? What does where someone came from in life have anything to do with someone's future in the sport?

We enjoy the blood & guts from any other fighter, but if it's coming from Kimbo, we're suddenly too civilized and condenscendlingly sipping on tea and eating scones talking about how bad Kimbo is going to make our sport look.

Again, what does where someone came from in life have anything to do with someone's future in the sport of MMA? I doubt the other athletes were all choir boys growing up, with the exception of Matt Hughes. But he's a dic so whatever.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MMA 28
MMA 8
Alexander MMA 27
VolcomX311 MMA 41
Hard Knox Supplement Logs 2