Best down to earth BJJ in FL

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
hey guys,
I happen to be in a wheelchair but can walk on my knees, etc and get on the mat for ground work. I took some BJJ at a gracie affiliated school a couple years ago and want to get back into it. One thing I didn't like about the school was the price vs. the amount of time on the mat, it just plain wasn't worth it. The instructor was quite good, and reasonably humble, etc. But he didn't own the school. I'm not sure how to politely put this to words, but, the general feel of the place was a bit too sporty.
I know it's going to be awfully hard to get away from that with a style like BJJ considering it's a staple in MMA, but I'd really like to find a place where you can just get down to business on the mat,
and not get charged a small fortune because the place happens to have affiliations with team X or name X, know what i mean? I also happen to be on SSI, so funds are always tight for me, heh.

I live in Jupiter, FL but would be willing to go out of my way a bit for solid training.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Good luck those schools are out there just keep looking.

size

Awards
  • Established
The Amory is in Jupiter Florida and is headed by Hermes Franca and Kurt Pellegrino. Both are excellent grapplers. I suggest you check it out.
The Armory - Homepage

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Yeah the Armory is probably your best bet. I would talk to them personally to see if they can help you on price.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
hey,
9+ hrs a week sounds decent, thanks guys. Gonna check them out
after I get back to a basic fitness level before starting again.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
What exactly is your condition? Good luck with your training.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
What exactly is your condition? Good luck with your training.
Cerebral palsy. It affects different people in completely different ways and levels of severity though, so it'd be hard for anyone to get a clear mental picture. It's caused from underdeveloped and/or damaged cerebrum due to birth complications.

'The term cerebral palsy refers to any one of a number of neurological disorders that appear in infancy or early childhood and permanently affect body movement and muscle coordination but don’t worsen over time. Even though cerebral palsy affects muscle movement, it isn’t caused by problems in the muscles or nerves. It is caused by abnormalities in parts of the brain that control muscle movements.'

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Cerebral palsy. It affects different people in completely different ways and levels of severity though, so it'd be hard for anyone to get a clear mental picture. It's caused from underdeveloped and/or damaged cerebrum due to birth complications.

'The term cerebral palsy refers to any one of a number of neurological disorders that appear in infancy or early childhood and permanently affect body movement and muscle coordination but don’t worsen over time. Even though cerebral palsy affects muscle movement, it isn’t caused by problems in the muscles or nerves. It is caused by abnormalities in parts of the brain that control muscle movements.'
Cool, thanks. Do you follow MMA closely? Stick around for some conversation. You seem like a pretty cool dude.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Cool, thanks. Do you follow MMA closely? Stick around for some conversation. You seem like a pretty cool dude.
Not anymore, but I used to. Needless to say if I did train at the armory, I'd be excited to see guys like kurt pellegrino in action during impromptu training and sparring matches, that's for sure.