Your favorite Guard Pass

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Explain your favorite way to pass guard.

Discuss.

CK76

CK76

Awards
Pin the hips, knee in the middle, kick your opposite leg back. Move into combat base.

If that don't work, give 'em the can opener.

swank

Banned
Awards
Pin the hips, knee in the middle, kick your opposite leg back. Move into combat base.

If that don't work, give 'em the can opener.
Can opener nah.
You describe how to open the guard not pass it. Once open and he is on his back and your in tight position, one leg back and elbow pinned tightly to your forward thigh. Dont know why I'm explainning this kind of hard in type. You can bring you knee through opposite knee to the side your going to and end up in probably half guard. Once your knee is past his thigh slide it out or perpendicular to his body. dont keep going forward with the knee.

Or another pass I use once guard is broke clinch on og this lower legs on the ground between your thighs and alos use your arms to hold it in place. Now you control his leg. If your going to the left reach under and control his left foot with your right arms raise your body move out to the side away from left leg so he cant hook. Lift your hips and sit out to the left in side body.:drunk:

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
What type of guard(half, full, closed, butterfly, spider, etc) and under what rulesets? Punches to the face have always seemed effective and if I could just sit in guard and smash people like Fedor does I'd be content with that. The best or at least most spectacular passes I've seen have been from grappling tournys though.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Just don't go in the guy's guard in the first place saves alot of trouble.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
What type of guard(half, full, closed, butterfly, spider, etc) and under what rulesets? Punches to the face have always seemed effective and if I could just sit in guard and smash people like Fedor does I'd be content with that. The best or at least most spectacular passes I've seen have been from grappling tournys though.

I was just interested to see what people liked. Some of the modified guard types are a ***** to pass with GI.

CK76

CK76

Awards
seems like a good philosophy.
Unfortuanatly that'll rarley happen. If you get position on someone they're most likley going to start working to get their guard back. The full guard is such a huge part of JiuJitsu that avoiding it doesn't make any sense.

I do notice that during open mat/free roll, lots of guys will just expect you to fall into their closed guard to start off. I usually just step around into side mount.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I was just interested to see what people liked. Some of the modified guard types are a ***** to pass with GI.

Well with gi you can grab their pants by there knees and control their legs making it impossible to pull a full guard. Simply jerk their knees down and hop over. Make sense? If not:FUfinger:

JK

CK76

CK76

Awards
Well with gi you can grab their pants by there knees and control their legs making it impossible to pull a full guard. Simply jerk their knees down and hop over. Make sense? If not:FUfinger:
I use the nogi version of this - pinch their knees together by wrapping their legs up, and your free to set either leg over and pass.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I use the nogi version of this - pinch their knees together by wrapping their legs up, and your free to set either leg over and pass.

That works on most people, this one guy I know, Casey, he'll scoot his butt back sit up and catch me in a guilloutine. He's one of the best submission guys I know, he used to work out with Dave Menne and all those cats.

size

Awards
  • Established
Knee straight up the middle(groin) or an elbow in the same area. Just make sure not to get caught in any submissions after that because they will not be nice about it.

Seriously though, I like standing and passing with a gi. No gi, I like a low shoulder pass.

sureshot!

sureshot!

Awards
I don't like any of the knee in the middle guard openings/passings.. they leave you terribly off balance and I've found ( in gi ) you can be sweeped pretty frequently.

standing passes with the gi on are pretty good as long as you are aware of your lead leg and and aware of any leg attacks your opponent is capable of

no-gi, stack, wrap the legs, lean forward and move over to side mount to break their guard- classic and reliable pass

adam from delariva jj

swank

Banned
Awards
Your knee shouldnt be in the middle of the buttocks when opening a full closed gaurd it should be just to the side of one cheek. You will be completely off balnce if you put knee in the center

sureshot!

sureshot!

Awards
Your knee shouldnt be in the middle of the buttocks when opening a full closed gaurd it should be just to the side of one cheek. You will be completely off balnce if you put knee in the center
Yes you will be off-balance, but yes anytime i've seen that pass taught in person or online, the knee has always been directed to the middle.. right on the "taint."

It will break open a closed guard, but it will leave you to be swept pretty easily.

That being said, when I first learned this pass, anytime the knee wasn't right in the middle, I could never open the legs.

:trout:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
just stick your finger in his a55hole....haha if that doesnt work..........wiggle it around with vicious intentions.

swank

Banned
Awards
Yes you will be off-balance, but yes anytime i've seen that pass taught in person or online, the knee has always been directed to the middle.. right on the "taint."

It will break open a closed guard, but it will leave you to be swept pretty easily.

That being said, when I first learned this pass, anytime the knee wasn't right in the middle, I could never open the legs.

:trout:
We could be talking about two different techniques. I have been taught one where the knee is in the middle but I do not see this commonly used. The one I refer to is commonly used in my school saulo riberio taught this to us so I'm pretty sure it's pure. In this one the knee goes on the into one butt cheek but not even completely behind it. Then you raise your other leg and find a good base almost if nto exactly like how your legs are positioned in a proper knee to the belly. Then your hips and butt open his legs.

sureshot!

sureshot!

Awards
We could be talking about two different techniques. I have been taught one where the knee is in the middle but I do not see this commonly used. The one I refer to is commonly used in my school saulo riberio taught this to us so I'm pretty sure it's pure. In this one the knee goes on the into one butt cheek but not even completely behind it. Then you raise your other leg and find a good base almost if nto exactly like how your legs are positioned in a proper knee to the belly. Then your hips and butt open his legs.
Interesting, I'm not sure if I know what this pass is.. is it featured in any of the Revolution DVDs? I'd like to see it.

I still would rather stand to open a closed guard, but whatever :)

swank

Banned
Awards
Interesting, I'm not sure if I know what this pass is.. is it featured in any of the Revolution DVDs? I'd like to see it.

I still would rather stand to open a closed guard, but whatever :)
It's not a pass. Yes, it is on revolution 1 with Chris Blanke and Saulo. I train at Chris' school. And Yes I would rather stand to open the guard also.