I really think some of you live in a dream world

swank

Banned
Awards
I know some of you have well, probably some of you... Have actually learned to box? I heard one guy suggest boxing is a good way to start getting into martial arts because it will build stamina, endurance, balance ect. And he is right. Then the next guy says naw not really most boxing techniques aren't street friendly. The question wasnt about street friendly but typical mr hardass net guy mr know it all has to throw in his 2 cents. I'll really having a hard time picturing this guy is he fighting down on the docks with kimbo??? Street friendly? Street friendly? Playoff? What do you mean PLayoffs? He must living in the hood or something must be eating supper and saying good-bye to his parents and going out and getting into street fights daily. I'm sorry to tell this guy that boxing is street friendly. I wonder if he has ever actually trained in boxing has he hit a heavy bag? I heard he was an internet legend pro mma fighter though. Has he hit focus mits? Has he learned to parry punches? Has he learned anything? Has he trained in boxing for an extended period of time and then watched a "new guy" come in and partnered up with him and realized how slow and unresponsive this new guy with no trianing is? And to "enlighten" you this same "new guy" would be the exact same type of guy you would meet on the street 99% of the time. Another thing about boxing not being street friendly ok you might be taken out of the realm of being able to box but just because you box doesnt mean that takes away from your ability to wrestle and roll around with another untrained fella you would be meeting on the "street".

I train in BJJ and boxing. I'm not a pro I do it to feel good about myself and better myself. I have been around pros I have trained with pros and I'm starting to smell a rat on here. Its funny but at the same time annoying. And yes I do have a big mouth and I am extremly opinionated. To tell me boxing is a waste of time pisses me off. Because I just got in from my garage training on my heavy bag and I know I know I'm positive what I have been taught in boxing would blow a guy on the street out of the water.:rasp:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Dude - that is the biggest paragraph I've seen on here!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As I have said many times before, Thai boxing easily throws off western boxing. A big outside leg kick not only throws off the stance of a western boxer, but it takes them out of their rhythm as well. Plus, getting someone in a plum and reigning knees is just good ole fun.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Whip kick to the quad vs. jab? Clinch is ok in mui thai and from this position most mt fighters can whoop the monkey shiite out of you. Too many strategic disadvantages (rules) in western boxing. That being said, versus your average doophus, boxing will win...then again so will jogging until they get tired.

swank

Banned
Awards
HAHAHA ROdja... Just the guy I was referring to. So how many Thai boxers have you met in the street in the last year?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'm kidding with 80% of the sh*t I say, but I'm sure/hope you can pick up on that. I think you're talking about Rodja. I think he was saying that boxing wasn't as applicable to defending yourself as BJJ/Muay Thai, not that it was completely useless. The guy that suggested boxing also came into the thread in a rude manner, stating "take it from someone who actually boxes", assuming no one else trained in anything. Ignorant assumptions are a little annoying, that might be why Rodja got on him a little. Some random posters are living in fantasyland, but the core group aren't. We're all pretty knowledgeable about MMA and many different fighting styles. We're just on here to talk MMA and fvck with each other.

swank

Banned
Awards
Whip kick to the quad vs. jab? Clinch is ok in mui thai and from this position most mt fighters can whoop the monkey shiite out of you. Too many strategic disadvantages (rules) in western boxing. That being said, versus your average doophus, boxing will win...then again so will jogging until they get tired.

I completely agree.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HAHAHA ROdja... Just the guy I was referring to. So how many Thai boxers have you met in the street in the last year?
That's not the point; my emphasis was that limiting yourself to only one form of striking (hands) is foolish. You do realize that not limiting yourself to a certain style is the point of Mixed Martial Arts, right? Hell, you could shoot a double and takedown 95% of people on the street, but what happens if you happen to catch someone who falls into the later 5%?

I don't have to prove anything to you, either. I have posted vids of my fights on here.

swank

Banned
Awards
Rodja you said effective in the street you didnt say mma.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja you said effective in the street you didnt say mma.
Naturally, you completely disregard my point about being prepared for all situations, but, whatever, dude. You're just trolling to stir up some sh!t here.

swank

Banned
Awards
No actually I'm not trolling to stirr up some sh!t here. When I read your comment about boxing it just pissed me off. Now I will admit maybe I missed something and jumped to fast to a conclusion about you. But my point still is when you say "street effective" I think of the street not a mauy thai ring not bruce lee, not the octagon. I think of the "street" and who I would meet in the "street".

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Just buy a gun. This won't work on Rodja, however. He's from Texas so he has at least 3. NEW YORK CITY......get a rope.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
The TS was looking for the most effective way to train in order to defend himself in a streetfight/mugging type situation. Rodja was basically saying that training BJJ/Muay Thai would be more effective than training Boxing for that situation, nothing more nothing less.

swank

Banned
Awards
Alexander just so you know I was not talking about in the thread you are referring to. However I do see that thread.

I am referring to this thread

where to begin?? <--------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im looking for a little advice. Im 34, 5'7" 170 and in decent shape cardio and lifting wise. Im looking for some martial arts, or self defense type class to start taking mostly for the self confidence to handle an altercation if it arises. Im not looking be in the UFC, I just have never been in the situation of a fistfight. I know that mabey weird but thats where I'm at. Me and my brother boxed a couple times when I was a kid and I SUCKED. I walked straight into punches and that settled that.
Any help on a good starting point would be appreciated. Ive been looking at whats in the neighborhood and theres, Grappling, jiu jitsu, krav maga and Im sure more I just didnt know where to look.

Thanks.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Alexander just so you know I was not talking about in the thread you are referring to. However I do see that thread.

I am referring to this thread

where to begin?? <--------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im looking for a little advice. Im 34, 5'7" 170 and in decent shape cardio and lifting wise. Im looking for some martial arts, or self defense type class to start taking mostly for the self confidence to handle an altercation if it arises. Im not looking be in the UFC, I just have never been in the situation of a fistfight. I know that mabey weird but thats where I'm at. Me and my brother boxed a couple times when I was a kid and I SUCKED. I walked straight into punches and that settled that.
Any help on a good starting point would be appreciated. Ive been looking at whats in the neighborhood and theres, Grappling, jiu jitsu, krav maga and Im sure more I just didnt know where to look.

Thanks.
Yeah, that's the thread I was talking about. Boxmeman says he's an "actual" boxer and then Rodja replies and they go back and forth a few times. I think you took what Rodja said the wrong way, he is a grouchy fvcker though:rofl:

swank

Banned
Awards
Now that that's settled:type::nono::nutkick::woohoo:

Yes now that that is settled Radja I can come back down from my mr ******* cloud. I sometimes get really pissed off at little things. I'm on house arrest and it is driving me insane

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, that's the thread I was talking about. Boxmeman says he's an "actual" boxer and then Rodja replies and they go back and forth a few times. I think you took what Rodja said the wrong way, he is a grouchy fvcker though:rofl:
It's these injuries...they're driving me mad because I don't have my catharsis, ATM. Even visiting Dr. Vag over the weekend is only moderately helping.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
It's these injuries...they're driving me mad because I don't have my catharsis, ATM. Even visiting Dr. Vag over the weekend is only moderately helping.
I hear you man, it must be annoying to constantly be beat up. I usually have little pulls and stuff but nothing compared to the punishment you endure. Not being able to walk for 7 weeks is killing me though, I'm losing my mind. 1 more week and I get the cast off, hopefully.

I'm on house arrest too, Swank, I mean legally I could leave, but physically I can't really. How much longer do you have to go?

swank

Banned
Awards
I got about 50 days left. I get to work though so at least I still have my job.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I got about 50 days left. I get to work though so at least I still have my job.
I bet it's weird to really look forward to going to work. I wish I could go to work right now, and I never want to go to work.

swank

Banned
Awards
I was in work release for 60 days before i went on house arrest I really looked forward to work then. I just workout at takes some stress off or I study

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Radja why would you like to meet mark kerr?
Because he was the greatest tragedy in MMA. He had all the skill in the world and a desire to learn, but his addictions and GF engulfed him. He also seems like a nice guy that got caught up in a lifestyle, plus he is an amazing wrestler.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Because he was the greatest tragedy in MMA. He had all the skill in the world and a desire to learn, but his addictions and GF engulfed him. He also seems like a nice guy that got caught up in a lifestyle, plus he is an amazing wrestler.
In other words, he wants to borrow some pain medication. Bad joke, Kerr is a good guy and anyone can get caught in that game.

swank

Banned
Awards
i trained with him once back in 98' he is from my town

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In other words, he wants to borrow some pain medication. Bad joke, Kerr is a good guy and anyone can get caught in that game.
It should be mandatory to watch "The Smashing Machine" if you consider yourself a fan of MMA.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
It should be mandatory to watch "The Smashing Machine" if you consider yourself a fan of MMA.
Definitely. I haven't watched that for years,good, one more thing to kill my boredom. His GF erks the sh*t out of me though.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Boxing is more of a sport than an effective fighting technique.
When is the last time you saw a boxer win in the UFC or Pride? Remember that guy with one glove at UFC 1?

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Was that the HBO doc? That's what I saw years ago and damn yeah. He seemed like a really good guy that made some bad choices.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is, or at least it was, on dailymotion.
That movie/documentary ended with a depressing tone, at least for Kerr. Other then that, it was a pretty raw and transparent movie.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Boxing is a sufficient self defense even if it appears one dimensional. I've seen boxers eat a solid leg kick and counter with the overhand or straight right and demolish people. It comes down to the fighter not the art they represent. Most of us favor MMA and that's our bias. But any competant fighter is a formidable opponent regardles of their style or training.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
WTF is going on in this thread? The OP trains in boxing and BJJ. If boxing is so good, why the BJJ? Oh, yeah, because boxing is one dimensional, and he'd like to add another dimension to the arsenal. Duh, he answered his own question before he ever asked it!

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
trained boxer vs. your avg. guy on the street? yeah I'd say boxer.
You want to make an argument in regard to boxer vs. trained mma
or even pure muay thai and I would suggest visual aids to back up
whatever you have to say, as common sense alone tells a person that you need to make more use of your legs aside from footwork.
Otherwise there'd be guys in wheelchairs competing in UFC.
In the very least, learn to write more coherently.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hi, swanky! Thanks for the nice message. It was great to chat. Good luck with your training!

XOXO

swank

Banned
Awards
Poison and nightwanderer you both are ****ing retarded. I wont even go into your remarks poison because you would have to know how I train, what I started training first boxing or bjj me for your comment to might sense.

Wanderer says-

trained boxer vs. your avg. guy on the street? yeah I'd say boxer.
Ok so your agree with what I said and that is all I said
Then you get stupid and go onto say
You want to make an argument in regard to boxer vs. trained mmaor even pure muay thai and I would suggest visual aids to back up
Can you ****ing read? Where did I compare a boxer to Mauy Thai where did I compare a boxer to MMA.
I compared a boxer to your average guy you ****ing moron. OH you must think since the average guy (you) watches UFC that makes you a MMA and a Mauy Thai expert hence the average guy versus a boxer will be that.

whatever you have to say, as common sense alone tells a person that you need to make more use of your legs aside from footwork.
Otherwise there'd be guys in wheelchairs competing in UFC.
In the very least, learn to write more coherently.

You make no sense

mindgrappler

mindgrappler

Awards
The sweet science is definately street worthy but what you want is to be well rounded and to cover all the bases in a street altercation, that said, I would say that Muay Thai, Western Boxing, Wrestling, and BJJ integrated in a system such as Filipino Kali/Escrima is your best bet.

Find a school that incorporates the Filipino arts with either Boxing/Muay Thai, and BJJ/Wrestling and you have a covered all your basis. And there alot of schools out there that do just this.

But just to be clear boxing alone will not save your ass in an edged weapon or blunt object situation and that is where the Filipino arts come into play.

I am kind of bias though as I trained in Kali for 5 years before finding my true love...BJJ

itln stln

itln stln

Awards
Nate Quarry and Marcus Davis have boxing as their main sport before going into MMA.

Boxing is more of a sport than an effective fighting technique.
When is the last time you saw a boxer win in the UFC or Pride? Remember that guy with one glove at UFC 1?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hell, you could shoot a double and takedown 95% of people on the street, but what happens if you happen to catch someone who falls into the later 5%?
I'd say you fight too damn much to have those types of statistics...I grew up in a lot of bad areas and even my job today requires a lot of interactions with *******s and I still rarely find an actual fight. I would have to be looking for one.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd say you fight too damn much to have those types of statistics...I grew up in a lot of bad areas and even my job today requires a lot of interactions with *******s and I still rarely find an actual fight. I would have to be looking for one.
Hahaha :toofunny:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
We're allowed everywhere. Just the estrogen gets too high in here at times and it keeps us out due to most of us being married and already dealing with PMS on a monthly basis.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I was just kidding. Actually estrogen hasn't been much of a problem in here. The only real problem has been guys that have been watching the UFC for 6 months coming in here and posting as if they know everything, which gets old pretty fast.

swank

Banned
Awards
the grammar section you little *****, yeah you go find it and smack your sister for me