Which fighting style?

elcid2007

Awards
I have been looking into getting back into some sort of fighting style and am having a hard time choosing which to join. I used to box awhile back and then started focusing more on weight training.

Now I'd like to get into something that would be very useful in a realistic situation: bar fight, getting mugged, etc.

In my city, I've seen, but is not limited to:

Krav Maga
BJJ
Judo
Boxing studios
muay thai

Any suggestions?

elcid2007

Awards
For my learning purposes, why would you recommend thai and bjj?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Absolutely. Muy Thai has great real life stand up application, with strikes, elbows and clinches and a lot of real fights end up on the ground, which is where Jiu Jitsu comes in handy.

SFRANGER

SFRANGER

Awards
I take jiu-jitsu and I feel like it's really applicable. I do a lot of security work and it's been REALLY effective a couple of times. The only thing that sucks a little about it is that you can really only fight one person with this style. But that one person is going to get one ass whoopin'!

The school I go to throws in a little muay thai instruction, and I have to admit that I am just a layman at it, but it's a real good 'no frills' striking art. I would recommend it as well.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Same thing, right? Isn't Yves the least thuggish dude on earth? Did you ever train with him while he was still in that area?
Texas JJ is what Heath Herring said his style was last night, but I haven't trained with either Heath or Yves.

KurtisWicked

KurtisWicked

Awards
*Scratches head* In a real life situation Krav Maga would be the logical choice. There's no rules and its about survival. BJJ would be good if you were worried about legality. Personally I love Muay Thai or Pradal Serey. Or you could go with Bas Rutten's self defense from youtube lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
*Scratches head* In a real life situation Krav Maga would be the logical choice. There's no rules and its about survival. BJJ would be good if you were worried about legality. Personally I love Muay Thai or Pradal Serey. Or you could go with Bas Rutten's self defense from youtube lol.
BJJ can be just as deadly; the adaptation to making it more brutal wouldn't take any effort. Hell, just adding in strikes makes BJJ that much more dangerous.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thug-jitsu.
Thug-jitsu FTW, lol. You guys see his fight last week (maybe two weeks ago)?

I didn't even care about the rest of that card, I was just happy to see Yves back.

I'm not familiar with Krav Maga, but I'll have to agree with the guys who suggested Muy Thai. Speaking of Muy Thai, where's Beo?

elcid2007

Awards
any guys in here actively taking Muay Thai? Do you feel it is applicable to real life situations? What's your training like?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm pretty sure Beowulf does, but I haven't seen him around in a week or so.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
any guys in here actively taking Muay Thai? Do you feel it is applicable to real life situations? What's your training like?
I do and I spar 2x/wk, in addition to my other MMA training. It is extremely applicable because it does not rely on some of the techniques in western boxing that cannot be used in a real fight. Also, most people are very uncomfortable with knees and kicks and can completely throw off their rhythm. For example, I was sparring with one of my training partners that came from a western boxing background. His hands were good, but he could not adjust to the leg/body kicks that I would throw. After a couple of rounds, he dropped his hands to try to catch a kick and I was able to reign punches on him.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've seen this video before. That old man had it coming with that BS phantom jitsu

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Was that King of The Demo?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That was the king of the demo's mentor. That guy actually fvcked Fedor up one time, but his magic wasn't working the day he fought that dude.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I agree that styles can be adapted to real fighting to an extent but how you train on a regular basis is what you will fall back on in a stressful situation. How you will handle multiple opponents, which many street scenarios entail would fall more in the realm of krav maga or Kajukenbo IMO. Training to win in a ring is worlds apart from training to survive the real deal, possibly against weapons.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Is that video for real? The guy is laying it down on one guy after another w/o touching them..
How do you think David Blaine floats around in the air and sh*t? Yeah it's real, the dude is just fvcking people up left and right, but his magic was off against the last guy.

SFRANGER

SFRANGER

Awards
Haha. Phantom Jitsu vs Knuckles, Knuckles wins 1-0.

ALUISLUGO

Awards
I have been looking into getting back into some sort of fighting style and am having a hard time choosing which to join. I used to box awhile back and then started focusing more on weight training.

Now I'd like to get into something that would be very useful in a realistic situation: bar fight, getting mugged, etc.

Krav Maga
BJJ
Judo
Boxing studios
muay thai

Any suggestions?
Join a local fight club. Probably as real as you are going to get without getting killed.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Thug-jitsu FTW, lol. You guys see his fight last week (maybe two weeks ago)?

I didn't even care about the rest of that card, I was just happy to see Yves back.

I'm not familiar with Krav Maga, but I'll have to agree with the guys who suggested Muy Thai. Speaking of Muy Thai, where's Beo?
Yeah, that was a nasty knee. I think he's fighting KJ Noons next. Beo is lurking, but not posting.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Join a local fight club. Probably as real as you are going to get without getting killed.
Whoa, horrible suggestion. You should probably learn how to fight first, and even then you should compete at a sanctioned event. This isn't fantasyland.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Excellent instructor, Alex. How's your Ryoken these days?

Here are a few of my instructors:

(Don't this whole vid)

SFRANGER

SFRANGER

Awards
No sh**. A local 'fight club'? All it takes is one wrong knee or elbow.

shamank

Awards

Krav Maga
BJJ
Judo
Boxing studios
muay thai

Any suggestions?
If I may, I have 17 years of BJJ experience, about 3 years of muay thai, about a year of JKD, 3 years of Wu Shu, and some Krav Maga experience with the mandatory TKD sprinkled in there as well, so as you can imagine, my knees and knuckles creak and rattle. I have also been stabbed and attacked with bats with some attempted muggings and some street fights because there was a period in my life where I went to all the bad places in Chicago with bad people willing to do bad things, so I know a thing or two about street crime vs. sparring. What should be known is that there is no one complete art, and you absolutely have to go see the art and participate in the free classes that the schools typically offer to see if you like it. If you hate doing BJJ but love doing savate, go do the savate and you'll be both more devastating and personally secure because you will always be better if you do what you love to do. Anyways, here's my opinion based on the generic aspects of the art combined with what you can experience outside of the gym:

Krav Maga is the best for real world street attacks because they focus on weapons and mobility. The first problem is that there are so many krav maga McDojo's out there that you're probably going to get a watered down version of women's self-defense instead of the actual Israeli military system. However, if you get the real deal, the whole art can be summed up in quickly reacting to a violent situation, and then getting away. Sure, there's some punches and kicks, but the whole point is surviving which means getting away alive. The second problem is it's not a satisfying art because there's really no "art" to it; all you learn in Krav Maga is to quickly react and then get away without thinking or personal challenge. It's hard to explain unless you've done some martial arts, but once you learn to defend against a knife or fight dirty, you don't feel like coming back for more. It's the best for defense against a weapon in a mugging because it's so basic and dry, but you probably don't want to stick with it to reinforce the skills because it's so basic and dry. I have probably made this more complicated than necessary, but I would recommend the weapon training in krav maga as an ancillary art to compliment another art.

BJJ is fine if you get a good instructor, but as many people will point out, there's typically no weapons training, or group fighting training. However, what it's good at is being able to recover if someone tackles you, and they're bigger than you are. Angry, crazy, drugged-up people always try some type of bull-charge that may or may not knock you to the ground. What you need is the ability to get up and run if you need to with some idiot all over you, or to punish the person if you're sure it's just going to be a one-on-one fight. Getting up to run doesn't sound that impressive, but drunk morons always come in groups and won't let you use a kimora on their "boy," but there's no way in hell you should let that drunk control if you are going to fight on the ground or not. If it's one-on-one, a good ground game can quickly, and concretely, end the conflict. Just make sure you go somewhere that does no gi training as well unless you plan on being mugged by men with large, strong jackets.

Judo is fine, but it's more throw oriented which doesn't quite work in a real conflict, and there's really no emphasis on leg locks. People seem to really like the throws though, so don't hesitate to try it out.

Boxing is good to know, but it's not self-defense in the real world. The last thing you want to do is get into a long, bloody street fight with some drunk idiot without insurance. Throwing a punch is great, but high/drunk people don't feel much pain, especially when they're angry, and you're going to have to take some damage before they go down. I wouldn't rely on it, especially since people never hesitate to use anything as a weapon.

Muay Thai has two (amongst other) wonderful things going for it: leg kicks and elbows. A good, strong leg kick on someone who's never felt that pain before might end the fight there, or at least scare him so much he's going to keep his distance, and the elbow training is wonderful. Because people rush you when they're angry, you're probably going to have to spend time in the clinch, and if you can setup a strong elbow to the nose of your untrained opponent, that's the end of the conflict right there. Period.

There's also sambo, hapkido, wing chun, jkd, silat, escrima and a whole bunch of other stuff to look at if you can.

I know my post sounds kinda "internet tough guy"ish at times, but I just wanted to emphasize that in my experience, a criminal assault is typically very sloppy, quick, angry, and in such an unpredictable environment that you only have a couple of seconds to do something and you can only do a couple of things. If you can master these things, like a Muay Thai elbow for example, you'll probably save your life.

I also want to add that I have only experienced street violence when I went to places I shouldn't have been and hung out with bad people. Once I stopped hanging out with bad people and going to bad places, I haven't even felt like I need to protect myself. It's like the crime statistics that almost every victim of murder or assault knew their attacker, well if you don't look for trouble you probably don't have to worry about protecting yourself from it. It's not something I like to talk about, but of all the techniques I've learned, I've only been able to sloppily execute a couple because I didn't have the time or space to setup anything else, but my cross training allowed me to come up with at least one answer to my situation.

Anyways, go check the places out and do what you enjoy the most.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Its called beat dat ass style.:whip: But seriously I would have to say wrestling/manhandling. :saw:

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can't sleep and for some reason this thread came to mind...what about sambo...??? I know it's not on your list to choose from though...what do you guys think about it as far as being "practical?"

ALUISLUGO

Awards
Whoa, horrible suggestion. You should probably learn how to fight first, and even then you should compete at a sanctioned event. This isn't fantasyland.
Horrible no, not for everyone yes. Anyway the suggestion was made on his desire to "I'd like to get back into...", which suggests that he has trained before and "I'd like to get into something that would be very useful in a REALISTIC situation".

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't sleep and for some reason this thread came to mind...what about sambo...??? I know it's not on your list to choose from though...what do you guys think about it as far as being "practical?"
I was actually just thinking that because it has both striking and grappling. The problem is that, in the US at least, it is hard to find a good sambo school.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I was actually just thinking that because it has both striking and grappling. The problem is that, in the US at least, it is hard to find a good sambo school.
I'll be going to train with Fedor for a few years and then I'll come back and train peons like you and Stx for a measly 1k a day, sound good?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Please find more videos like this. Seriously, this crap makes me laugh so hard.
Give me an hour and I'll find some similar sh*t. I'm off to studio lift a little. Where's the dude that thought this sh*t was real? I feel horrible for him.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll be going to train with Fedor for a few years and then I'll come back and train peons like you and Stx for a measly 1k a day, sound good?
Would you accept POST Cycle Support and Excell for payment? If so, this peon is in!

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Sombo is pretty badazz. I do Japanese jujitsu we learn way more than the bjj guys. We do standup fighting, weapons, multiple opponents. Of course my stand up is way better than most of those guys at that school because I've focused on kickboxing and muay thai for a few years too.

grila jujitsu

grila jujitsu

Awards
  • Established
Krav Maga

all i know is a couple of my friends from israel are bad ass! they learned Krav Maga in israel for there manditory time. if you can find a ligit place i would say go! it incroperates all types on martial arts

or nin jitsu!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Krav Maga

all i know is a couple of my friends from israel are bad ass! they learned Krav Maga in israel for there manditory time. if you can find a legit place i would say go! it incroperates all types on martial arts

or nin jitsu!
This is the problem with Krav; it is quickly becoming as commercialized as TKD, etc and the curriculum is starting to be diluted.

grila jujitsu

grila jujitsu

Awards
  • Established
This is the problem with Krav; it is quickly becoming as commercialized as TKD, etc and the curriculum is starting to be diluted.

TOO TRUE!

lol solution= fly to israel learn to become a bad ass, come back never worry again!

what you think? lol

elcid2007

Awards
I have found this place relatively close to my apartment that offers Muay Thai, BJJ, and Krav Maga. The place is called AKS Karate. Here's some of their instructors. Anyone gone there or heard of any of them? This is something taken from their site:

AKS instructors must undergo rigorous training before being allowed to lead classes. The studio is owned by lead instructor Matt Robinson, who is the only certified Krav Maga instructor in the state of South Carolina. Matt also holds a third-degree black belt in the United Fighting Arts/Chun Kuk Do Karate system, which is presided over by Mr. Chuck Norris, and has trained extensively in numerous other martial arts.

Muay Thai Kickboxing instructor Chase Walden comes to AKS with an extensive martial arts career. He is a Tae Kwon Do blackbelt. In 2004 he won the Olympic style Maryland State Championship in the 165 lb. division. Chase has also trained and taught Muay Thai Kickboxing for the last 4 years. He has an amateur record of 5-1, and is the King of the Ring Champion in the 165 lb. division. Chase has trained extensively under Kru Buck Grant. Grant is known for training several of today's top pro MMA fighters such as Antwain "the Juggernaut" Britt, Mike "The Pale Horse" Smith, Philip "The Wicked" Wyman and is most known for being the Muay Thai/MMA coach for the UFC fighter Brandon "The Truth" Vera.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I have found this place relatively close to my apartment that offers Muay Thai, BJJ, and Krav Maga. The place is called AKS Karate. Here's some of their instructors. Anyone gone there or heard of any of them? This is something taken from their site:

AKS instructors must undergo rigorous training before being allowed to lead classes. The studio is owned by lead instructor Matt Robinson, who is the only certified Krav Maga instructor in the state of South Carolina. Matt also holds a third-degree black belt in the United Fighting Arts/Chun Kuk Do Karate system, which is presided over by Mr. Chuck Norris, and has trained extensively in numerous other martial arts.

Muay Thai Kickboxing instructor Chase Walden comes to AKS with an extensive martial arts career. He is a Tae Kwon Do blackbelt. In 2004 he won the Olympic style Maryland State Championship in the 165 lb. division. Chase has also trained and taught Muay Thai Kickboxing for the last 4 years. He has an amateur record of 5-1, and is the King of the Ring Champion in the 165 lb. division. Chase has trained extensively under Kru Buck Grant. Grant is known for training several of today's top pro MMA fighters such as Antwain "the Juggernaut" Britt, Mike "The Pale Horse" Smith, Philip "The Wicked" Wyman and is most known for being the Muay Thai/MMA coach for the UFC fighter Brandon "The Truth" Vera.
Brandon Vera has outstanding Muay Thai skills. I don't know if the instructor at that gym is as good as him, if he is then go for it. The problem some people have with a heavy tkd background is unlearning everything they knew in tkd. They kick and punch with no hip and muay thai emphasizes very heavily on that.
The problem can be mental too, usually guys who were looked up to in tkd can't handle relearning everything, they're ego is too big.
But try it out, for sure.

xtreme1

xtreme1

Awards
BJJ, Muai Thai are great. You also want some boxing and wrestling. I train in MMA and having a boxing / wrestling back round it makes all the difference in the world.....Dont under estimate the importance of good hands and a great SPRAWL.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Rex Kwon Do
lmao! I actually saw a guy wearing those same exact american flag
pants a couple weeks ago! I wanted to stop him and ask if i could snap his picture with my cell phone real quick, but if he knew I thought he literally looked like a joke I was afraid he'd get mad. Wouldn't want a roundhouse kick to the face from anyone wearing those bad boys...

ON TOPIC: the BJJ I've been taught makes me hope my attacker would try to knock me out of my wheelchair, I'd be better off...
Muay thai or Krav would be just fine on your feet, but I definately recommend a solid ground game just in case you get knocked down.