Most Overrated/Underrated fighter

  1. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    478
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    95.42%

    Most Overrated/Underrated fighter


    Who do you guys think? As far as overrated goes, im going to have to say Gomi. Don't get me wrong, hes a great fighter, but I dont think he deserves to be ranked #1 in the world. I mean do you honestly think he would have a chance against Penn or even Sherk. Penn DOMINATED him when they fought, and i really dont think he would give Sherk much trouble either. See the Nick Diaz fight (I dont care about the NC b.s.).

    As for the most underrated fighter, I will have to go with Frankie Edgar. Dude is a title contender, and deserves better than a prelim fight with Gray Maynard on a UFN. Tyson Griffin is getting spots on the main card PPV's (which he deserves because he is a beast), and Edgar beat him. I would like to see Edgar vs. Huerta with the winner getting a title shot against the winner of Penn/Sherk. Thoughts?

  2. Professional Member
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,065
    Rep Power
    2161
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    27.36%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Edgar-Huerta....good call. Those 2 are the next in line.

    Gomi's definitely overrated. Ratings-wise Kongo is way overrated as we all know any good ground fighter will beat him and been around #10 in most polls. Filho's been looking like a good candidate too lately.

    Machida is definitely underrated by the general public as is Marquardt IMO.
  3. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    a clip from your most underrated and your new love, I'd love to see a re-match.

    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    •   
       

  4. Professional Member
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,065
    Rep Power
    2161
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    27.36%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    a clip from your most underrated and your new love, I'd love to see a re-match.

    YouTube - Renzo Gracie kicks Marquardt in the face
    Nice. That was fairly old though. It looked like Almeida held it too long after the tap and Nate punched him as a result then got soccer kicked. Almeida's dancing > Anderson's.
  5. New Member
    warriorway's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    38
    Posts
    475
    Rep Power
    360
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    6.87%

    I read in grappling magazine today the lightweight rankings had sherk at 1 gomi at 2 and penn at 10. What up with that?

    There was also an article on Rich Franklins workout where he's deadlifting 185 and he's using straps, and his expression is just classic like he's maxing out on weight. It looked ridiculous.
  6. Professional Member
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,065
    Rep Power
    2161
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    27.36%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by warriorway View Post
    There was also an article on Rich Franklins workout where he's deadlifting 185 and he's using straps, and his expression is just classic like he's maxing out on weight. It looked ridiculous.
    That's great. Let's hope he was doing like 30 reps minimum.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,736
    Rep Power
    1317329
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    29.35%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Overrated-Couture; he beat Sylvia in a great upset and an overhyped GG and somehow he became the #2 HWT in MMA. Remarkable, yes, but way too many have become victims of the moment with Randy

    Underrated-Okami; he was the last opponent to give Anderson any real trouble, yet he is never mentioned as a possible opponent.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  8. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Overrated-Couture; he beat Sylvia in a great upset and an overhyped GG and somehow he became the #2 HWT in MMA. Remarkable, yes, but way too many have become victims of the moment with Randy

    Underrated-Okami; he was the last opponent to give Anderson any real trouble, yet he is never mentioned as a possible opponent.
    Finally someone agrees with me on Couture being overrated I don't think Okami really gave Anderson any real trouble, he just took him down and then got illegally kicked 30secs later. Lutter had him in much more trouble, but who knows what would've happened had Anderson not illegally kicked Okami.
  9. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    478
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    95.42%

    Another underrated fighter in Drew Fickett. If you disagree with me, look at his record and some of the people he has beaten.
  10. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Koscheck dominated him though, until the last 20 secs. He is good, looking forward to his fight with Shields.
  11. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    478
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    95.42%

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Koscheck dominated him though, until the last 20 secs. He is good, looking forward to his fight with Shields.
    Fickett still won the fight, which is really all that matters.
  12. Elite Member
    stxnas's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,986
    Rep Power
    986036
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    70.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I think Cung Le is overrated as a mixed martial artist. I haven't been real impressed with him so far, but he definitely has a lot of potential (he seems to be lacking something, just not sure what). His 5-0 record is a little misleading IMO. Some of those guys might have been names at one time, but none of them have been stellar over the past few years.

    I also think Heath Herring is overrated. I've never really been impressed with him. Maybe he'll prove otherwise this weekend though.

    Underrated? I think a lot of the guys @ 170 and under are underrated. How about putting Marcus Davis in the ring with a contender? Who wouldn't like to see that?

    <waits patiently for Alexander's "Frank Mir STILL sux" post>
    Last edited by stxnas; 02-29-2008 at 06:52 PM.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  13. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    478
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    95.42%

    Quote Originally Posted by stxnas View Post
    I think Cung Le is overrated as a mixed martial artist. I haven't been real impressed with him so far, but he definitely has a lot of potential (he seems to be lacking something, just not sure what). His 5-0 record is a little misleading IMO. Some of those guys might have been names at one time, but none of them have been stellar over the past few years.

    I also think Heath Herring is overrated. I've never really been impressed with him. Maybe he'll prove otherwise this weekend though.

    Underrated? I think a lot of the guys @ 170 and under are underrated. How about putting Marcus Davis in the ring with a contender? Who wouldn't like to see that?
    I totally agree with you about Cung Le. As far as Marcus Davis goes, i actually feel that he is overrated. He is a good fighter, but I dont see how is ranked in the top ten. He is chalking up a good win streak, but he did lose to Melvin Guillard not too long ago.
  14. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,736
    Rep Power
    1317329
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    29.35%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    I don't know if he is underrated or just under-appreciated, but Yoshida is a really good fighter. He just needs to fight at 183/185 instead of LHW or HW.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  15. Elite Member
    stxnas's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,986
    Rep Power
    986036
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    70.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    I totally agree with you about Cung Le. As far as Marcus Davis goes, i actually feel that he is overrated. He is a good fighter, but I dont see how is ranked in the top ten. He is chalking up a good win streak, but he did lose to Melvin Guillard not too long ago.
    I don't think we've really seen Davis tested yet and his loss to Guillard was over two years ago...I may have mis-worded my post though...You're right, I probably shouldn't have said contender, but you get the idea.

    Rodja, you taking Yoshida over Barnett on Wednesday?
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  16. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    478
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    95.42%

    have u seen the yoshida/barnett lines? Yoshida is +500 and Barnett is -700.
  17. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,736
    Rep Power
    1317329
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    29.35%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by stxnas View Post
    I don't think we've really seen Davis tested yet and his loss to Guillard was over two years ago...I may have mis-worded my post though...You're right, I probably shouldn't have said contender, but you get the idea.

    Rodja, you taking Yoshida over Barnett on Wednesday?
    Hell no, but that's what I'm talking about; he doesn't need to be fighting HW's, especially top-3 HW's.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  18. Elite Member
    stxnas's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,986
    Rep Power
    986036
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    70.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I don't know what that means, but I would assume everybody is picking Barnett.

    EDIT: Just missed Rodja's post. I was just checking, Rodja. I wasn't sure if you were like me with Cro Cop. I always pick Cro Cop...but I really can't think of a fight where I didn't think he had a chance to win...I guess that's my point though, lol.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  19. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    478
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    95.42%

    Basically it means that if you bet 100 dollars on Yoshida and he wins, you win $500. With Barnett you have to wager $700 to win $100.
  20. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,736
    Rep Power
    1317329
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    29.35%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    Basically it means that if you bet 100 dollars on Yoshida and he wins, you win $500. With Barnett you have to wager $700 to win $100.
    Your new nickname is "The Gambler." How much did you put on Hendo and Herring?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  21. Elite Member
    stxnas's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,986
    Rep Power
    986036
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    70.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Oh. Thanks for the lesson on betting. My wife will have you to thank when I blow this months mortgage, lol.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  22. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    Fickett still won the fight, which is really all that matters.
    I wouldn't say it's all that matters. It showed his weakness, and I'll be picking Shields to beat him somewhat based on the Kos fight. I know what you're saying though, a win is a win.
  23. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    478
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    95.42%

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    I wouldn't say it's all that matters. It showed his weakness, and I'll be picking Shields to beat him somewhat based on the Kos fight. I know what you're saying though, a win is a win.
    I think Shields will win too, he is a heavy favorite in that fight. Shields is what #8 in the world? Im too lazy to check.
  24. Professional Member
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,065
    Rep Power
    2161
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    27.36%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I don't know if he is underrated or just under-appreciated, but Yoshida is a really good fighter. He just needs to fight at 183/185 instead of LHW or HW.
    He's a tough fight for everyone, but he lost to JT......
  25. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by stxnas View Post
    I think Cung Le is overrated as a mixed martial artist. I haven't been real impressed with him so far, but he definitely has a lot of potential (he seems to be lacking something, just not sure what). His 5-0 record is a little misleading IMO. Some of those guys might have been names at one time, but none of them have been stellar over the past few years.

    I also think Heath Herring is overrated. I've never really been impressed with him. Maybe he'll prove otherwise this weekend though.

    Underrated? I think a lot of the guys @ 170 and under are underrated. How about putting Marcus Davis in the ring with a contender? Who wouldn't like to see that?<waits patiently for Alexander's "Frank Mir STILL sux" post>
    Yeah, Cung Le is a good choice. Look how much trouble he had putting away Sammy Morgan at 185, and then look what Semtex did to Morgan at 170. I think Frank will finish Cung Le by the 2nd round. Herring is definitely overrated. He looked good when he first came to Pride, finishing Erikson and Kerr and giving Nog a tough battle, but since then he hasn't done jack.

    I'm not sure about Davis. Like you said I'd like to see him against Thiago Alves or someone of that caliber.
  26. Elite Member
    stxnas's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,986
    Rep Power
    986036
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    70.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Yeah, like I said, contender was too strong of a word...I really should have said somebody that would be more of a challenge, IE, like you said, Alves.

    EDIT: Cung Le should have finished Fryklund a lot sooner too.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  27. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    I think Shields will win too, he is a heavy favorite in that fight. Shields is what #8 in the world? Im too lazy to check.
    I think you're right. Shields is an animal, it must be annoying as hell to fight a guy like that, he's just so relentless. Fickett is tough though, and I'm sure he'll make a fight of it. I wonder who would win Shields/Fitch?
  28. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    He's a tough fight for everyone, but he lost to JT......
    Sometimes sh*t just doesn't make sense.
  29. Professional Member
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,065
    Rep Power
    2161
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    27.36%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I'll fourth Cung Le as his ground skills and finishing ability are questionable.
  30. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    478
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    95.42%

    I would have to go with fitch. They actually match up pretty evenly but I think Fitch's size/strength advantage would be the deciding factor in that fight.
  31. Elite Member
    stxnas's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,986
    Rep Power
    986036
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    70.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    How about Tanner as an underrated guy...simply b/c a lot of the newer MMA fans probably have no idea who he is and were lucky enough to have never seen some of his stupid ass hair styles.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  32. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by stxnas View Post
    How about Tanner as an underrated guy...simply b/c a lot of the newer MMA fans probably have no idea who he is and were lucky enough to have never seen some of his stupid ass hair styles.
    Oh, the missing link!
  33. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    I would have to go with fitch. They actually match up pretty evenly but I think Fitch's size/strength advantage would be the deciding factor in that fight.
    Yeah, I'd probably go with Fitch too.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. overrated/underrated
    By arnold77 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 11:57 PM
  2. Most Underrated Fighter Ever
    By Rodja in forum MMA
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 06:30 AM
  3. The Overrated Thread
    By Rodja in forum General Chat
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 02:58 AM
  4. Most overrated QB's in the NFL!
    By asap nutrition in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 04:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in