Most Overrated/Underrated fighter

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Who do you guys think? As far as overrated goes, im going to have to say Gomi. Don't get me wrong, hes a great fighter, but I dont think he deserves to be ranked #1 in the world. I mean do you honestly think he would have a chance against Penn or even Sherk. Penn DOMINATED him when they fought, and i really dont think he would give Sherk much trouble either. See the Nick Diaz fight (I dont care about the NC b.s.).

As for the most underrated fighter, I will have to go with Frankie Edgar. Dude is a title contender, and deserves better than a prelim fight with Gray Maynard on a UFN. Tyson Griffin is getting spots on the main card PPV's (which he deserves because he is a beast), and Edgar beat him. I would like to see Edgar vs. Huerta with the winner getting a title shot against the winner of Penn/Sherk. Thoughts?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Edgar-Huerta....good call. Those 2 are the next in line.

Gomi's definitely overrated. Ratings-wise Kongo is way overrated as we all know any good ground fighter will beat him and been around #10 in most polls. Filho's been looking like a good candidate too lately.

Machida is definitely underrated by the general public as is Marquardt IMO.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I read in grappling magazine today the lightweight rankings had sherk at 1 gomi at 2 and penn at 10. What up with that?

There was also an article on Rich Franklins workout where he's deadlifting 185 and he's using straps, and his expression is just classic like he's maxing out on weight. It looked ridiculous.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
There was also an article on Rich Franklins workout where he's deadlifting 185 and he's using straps, and his expression is just classic like he's maxing out on weight. It looked ridiculous.
:icon_lol: That's great. Let's hope he was doing like 30 reps minimum.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Overrated-Couture; he beat Sylvia in a great upset and an overhyped GG and somehow he became the #2 HWT in MMA. Remarkable, yes, but way too many have become victims of the moment with Randy

Underrated-Okami; he was the last opponent to give Anderson any real trouble, yet he is never mentioned as a possible opponent.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Overrated-Couture; he beat Sylvia in a great upset and an overhyped GG and somehow he became the #2 HWT in MMA. Remarkable, yes, but way too many have become victims of the moment with Randy

Underrated-Okami; he was the last opponent to give Anderson any real trouble, yet he is never mentioned as a possible opponent.
Finally someone agrees with me on Couture being overrated:thumbsup: I don't think Okami really gave Anderson any real trouble, he just took him down and then got illegally kicked 30secs later. Lutter had him in much more trouble, but who knows what would've happened had Anderson not illegally kicked Okami.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Another underrated fighter in Drew Fickett. If you disagree with me, look at his record and some of the people he has beaten.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Koscheck dominated him though, until the last 20 secs. He is good, looking forward to his fight with Shields.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think Cung Le is overrated as a mixed martial artist. I haven't been real impressed with him so far, but he definitely has a lot of potential (he seems to be lacking something, just not sure what). His 5-0 record is a little misleading IMO. Some of those guys might have been names at one time, but none of them have been stellar over the past few years.

I also think Heath Herring is overrated. I've never really been impressed with him. Maybe he'll prove otherwise this weekend though.

Underrated? I think a lot of the guys @ 170 and under are underrated. How about putting Marcus Davis in the ring with a contender? Who wouldn't like to see that?

<waits patiently for Alexander's "Frank Mir STILL sux" post>

Last edited:
robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I think Cung Le is overrated as a mixed martial artist. I haven't been real impressed with him so far, but he definitely has a lot of potential (he seems to be lacking something, just not sure what). His 5-0 record is a little misleading IMO. Some of those guys might have been names at one time, but none of them have been stellar over the past few years.

I also think Heath Herring is overrated. I've never really been impressed with him. Maybe he'll prove otherwise this weekend though.

Underrated? I think a lot of the guys @ 170 and under are underrated. How about putting Marcus Davis in the ring with a contender? Who wouldn't like to see that?
I totally agree with you about Cung Le. As far as Marcus Davis goes, i actually feel that he is overrated. He is a good fighter, but I dont see how is ranked in the top ten. He is chalking up a good win streak, but he did lose to Melvin Guillard not too long ago.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know if he is underrated or just under-appreciated, but Yoshida is a really good fighter. He just needs to fight at 183/185 instead of LHW or HW.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I totally agree with you about Cung Le. As far as Marcus Davis goes, i actually feel that he is overrated. He is a good fighter, but I dont see how is ranked in the top ten. He is chalking up a good win streak, but he did lose to Melvin Guillard not too long ago.
I don't think we've really seen Davis tested yet and his loss to Guillard was over two years ago...I may have mis-worded my post though...You're right, I probably shouldn't have said contender, but you get the idea.

Rodja, you taking Yoshida over Barnett on Wednesday?

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
have u seen the yoshida/barnett lines? Yoshida is +500 and Barnett is -700.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think we've really seen Davis tested yet and his loss to Guillard was over two years ago...I may have mis-worded my post though...You're right, I probably shouldn't have said contender, but you get the idea.

Rodja, you taking Yoshida over Barnett on Wednesday?
Hell no, but that's what I'm talking about; he doesn't need to be fighting HW's, especially top-3 HW's.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't know what that means, but I would assume everybody is picking Barnett.

EDIT: Just missed Rodja's post. I was just checking, Rodja. I wasn't sure if you were like me with Cro Cop. I always pick Cro Cop...but I really can't think of a fight where I didn't think he had a chance to win...I guess that's my point though, lol.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Basically it means that if you bet 100 dollars on Yoshida and he wins, you win $500. With Barnett you have to wager $700 to win $100.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Basically it means that if you bet 100 dollars on Yoshida and he wins, you win $500. With Barnett you have to wager $700 to win $100.
Your new nickname is "The Gambler." How much did you put on Hendo and Herring?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh. Thanks for the lesson on betting. My wife will have you to thank when I blow this months mortgage, lol.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Fickett still won the fight, which is really all that matters.
I wouldn't say it's all that matters. It showed his weakness, and I'll be picking Shields to beat him somewhat based on the Kos fight. I know what you're saying though, a win is a win.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't say it's all that matters. It showed his weakness, and I'll be picking Shields to beat him somewhat based on the Kos fight. I know what you're saying though, a win is a win.
I think Shields will win too, he is a heavy favorite in that fight. Shields is what #8 in the world? Im too lazy to check.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if he is underrated or just under-appreciated, but Yoshida is a really good fighter. He just needs to fight at 183/185 instead of LHW or HW.
He's a tough fight for everyone, but he lost to JT......

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

Underrated? I think a lot of the guys @ 170 and under are underrated. How about putting Marcus Davis in the ring with a contender? Who wouldn't like to see that?<waits patiently for Alexander's "Frank Mir STILL sux" post>
Yeah, Cung Le is a good choice. Look how much trouble he had putting away Sammy Morgan at 185, and then look what Semtex did to Morgan at 170. I think Frank will finish Cung Le by the 2nd round. Herring is definitely overrated. He looked good when he first came to Pride, finishing Erikson and Kerr and giving Nog a tough battle, but since then he hasn't done jack.

I'm not sure about Davis. Like you said I'd like to see him against Thiago Alves or someone of that caliber.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, like I said, contender was too strong of a word...I really should have said somebody that would be more of a challenge, IE, like you said, Alves.

EDIT: Cung Le should have finished Fryklund a lot sooner too.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I think Shields will win too, he is a heavy favorite in that fight. Shields is what #8 in the world? Im too lazy to check.
I think you're right. Shields is an animal, it must be annoying as hell to fight a guy like that, he's just so relentless. Fickett is tough though, and I'm sure he'll make a fight of it. I wonder who would win Shields/Fitch?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'll fourth Cung Le as his ground skills and finishing ability are questionable.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I would have to go with fitch. They actually match up pretty evenly but I think Fitch's size/strength advantage would be the deciding factor in that fight.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How about Tanner as an underrated guy...simply b/c a lot of the newer MMA fans probably have no idea who he is and were lucky enough to have never seen some of his stupid ass hair styles.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
How about Tanner as an underrated guy...simply b/c a lot of the newer MMA fans probably have no idea who he is and were lucky enough to have never seen some of his stupid ass hair styles.
Oh, the missing link!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I would have to go with fitch. They actually match up pretty evenly but I think Fitch's size/strength advantage would be the deciding factor in that fight.
Yeah, I'd probably go with Fitch too.