Paul Daley retires

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
In his brief career, Paul "Semtex" Daley has more than lived up to his nickname with his explosive and brutal striking style in the cage. He was especially impressive recently, carving his way through talented opposition such as Duane Ludwig (Pictures) and Sam Morgan (Pictures).

The world was starting to take note of the Rough House fighter's capabilities just as he appeared at the very top of his game. However, the striker from Nottingham, England, shocked the U.K. MMA community this week by relinquishing his three MMA titles and announcing his retirement from the sport in a concise, slightly abrupt post on an Internet forum.

"As of now I will be stepping down as Cage Rage champion (British and world), FX-3 champion and [King of the Ring Thai boxing] champion," he wrote in a message on the Cage Warriors Web site. "I vacate all these titles. Furthermore I consider myself retired (from all MMA/Thai boxing) as of March 29th. March 29th I will fulfill my contracted commitment for Pro Elite, against a yet unnamed opponent."

As of Wednesday, EliteXC executives said they remain in the dark regarding Daley's sudden decision. A source told Sherdog.com that EliteXC vice president Jared Shaw intends to sit down with Daley when he visits the UK for March 8's Cage Rage event in London.

FX-3 promoter Paul James confirmed Daley's decision to relinquish the promotion's belt.

When reached for comment via text messaging by Sherdog.com, Daley declined to discuss his decision because, he wrote, he didn't want to make a big deal of it. Through his message online, Daley included a slightly cryptic capitalization of the word "sport," and left open the possibility for a return in as early as six months.

Said Daley: "Once I've found the path I originally set out on in the Martial Arts, I may return to this SPORT."

After smoking Morgan with a brutal series of knees and a hard right elbow in late January, Daley had placed himself securely at the front of the queue for a title shot in the EliteXC welterweight division. That fact gives fans and critics yet more reason to marvel at his decision.

One thing is for sure: the U.K. MMA community is rife with whispers as to the motivating factors behind the 25-year-old fighter's announcement. Despite Daley's calls to refrain from frenzied speculation, any deeply talented athlete who steps away from a sport he has the potential to dominate can expect nothing less.

As fans come to terms with the fact that one of the most talented fighters in the United Kingdom may have prematurely called time on his promising career, many fighters in the welterweight division could be forgiven for raising a glass and toasting Daley's decision.

:sad: :sad:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I hope they give him someone good for his "last" fight. He'll be back. Maybe I'll contact him and blame my "Thinner Story" on his retirement, that'll get him back in the cage. I may also teach a course "Hiroshima-ing 101."

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
If you're looking to be shocked and appauled by true unintentional hiroshima-ing check out these threads: "I feel like sh*t" and "The insults thread" both located in the general chat section.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I saw that insult thread and it was unbelievably not funny. TheMyth was bombing left and right, but I could only stomach a few posts. I remember the "Rip on each other" thread being equally Corky infested.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I saw that insult thread and it was unbelievably not funny. TheMyth was bombing left and right, but I could only stomach a few posts. I remember the "Rip on each other" thread being equally Corky infested.
Please check out Zombie's "I feel like sh*t thread." I guess I'm a tremendous as*hole, but I like laughing at tard's, not real ones.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I tried to read a little but I just couldn't do it.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Apparently Semtex isn't fighting this weekend, as he is not on the card and their is only 4 days til the event. I guess he's hanging them up and we don't even get to see him one last time. I'm pissed, he was exciting and had a great personality, plus a cool accent.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Apparently Semtex isn't fighting this weekend, as he is not on the card and their is only 4 days til the event. I guess he's hanging them up and we don't even get to see him one last time. I'm pissed, he was exciting and had a great personality, plus a cool accent.
Damn that blows. I hope he gets a break and comes back ungry bruv.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
This makes me very sad. He's an good and exciting fighter, and still in his prime.