BJ basically picks Serra

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Answers

BJ basically picks Serra

"Georges still has to get past Matt Serra though. I think if Georges can get past Matt Serra and I know I'm going to get past Sean Sherk, we could have some kind of really huge fight there. I'm talking about a fight of the century type of fight, but Matt Serra's no joke, you know?
    "He already knocked Georges out once and he's better on the ground. So if Georges takes him down, I'd put Serra as the guy who has the better groundwork. So Georges is going to have to come up with a good game plan. Georges has got a great camp to do what he's got to do. I expect a great fight, and don't count out Matt Serra against anyone."

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Answers

So what's bj saying he wants a rematch?
  3. Registered User
    Answers

I guess. Champ v. Champ. I think that fight is irrelevant though personally.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

I'd definitely like to see Penn-GSP 2. Penn made Georges look bad for a good part of that fight. I think that Penn is the only one that has much of chance to beat GSP in a non-fluke way against a psych. healthy GSP.
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TheMouth View Post
    I guess. Champ v. Champ. I think that fight is irrelevant though personally.
    Irrelevant?? How?? It was a very close match the first time and it needs to happen again. Some said the same thing when hendo fought Wand again and look at how that turned out.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Irrelevant?? How?? It was a very close match the first time and it needs to happen again. Some said the same thing when hendo fought Wand again and look at how that turned out.
    155 champ v. 170 champ. Makes no sense to me. All it would do is potentially boost BJ's already super high ego.
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

155 champ v. 170 champ. Makes no sense to me. All it would do is potentially boost BJ's already super high ego.
    Or it could be former champ looking to avenge a controversial vs current champ.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Registered User
    Answers

BJ would be a champ, of his division. WTF does it matter other than to boost ego.
  9. Registered User
    Answers

I would want Penn to dominate his division for a little bit before I saw a rematch with GSP, unless of course they both lost their up coming fights.
  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Dancebot 2000 View Post
    I would want Penn to dominate his division for a little bit before I saw a rematch with GSP, unless of course they both lost their up coming fights.
    If BJ beats Sherk (which I think he will), then there isn't another fighter that deserves a shot at the title. The PPV draw for that fight would be huge.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Registered User
    Answers

If BJ beats Sherk (which I think he will), then there isn't another fighter that deserves a shot at the title. The PPV draw for that fight would be huge.
    I'm thinking pure sport here. It's worthless. If Penn wins... then GSP is a Champ with a loss during his reign and vice versa. It's lose/lose for GSP.
  12. Registered User
    Answers

PS -- Sherk beats BJ
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I'm thinking pure sport here. It's worthless. If Penn wins... then GSP is a Champ with a loss during his reign and vice versa. It's lose/lose for GSP.
    I am pretty sure that GSP would want vindication. Plus, the extra rounds would make a huge difference.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Registered User
    Answers

I am pretty sure that GSP would want vindication. Plus, the extra rounds would make a huge difference.
    Think about legitamacy here. A heavier guy is letting a smaller guy challenge him. If said smaller guy does well and still loses... the news will be on the smaller guy for putting up a hell of a fight... if the smaller guy wins it is even worse for the bigger guy.... if the bigger guy wins... Oh well he should have won he is by far much larger. So the press will be all Penns no matter what happens.
  15. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Think about legitamacy here. A heavier guy is letting a smaller guy challenge him. If said smaller guy does well and still loses... the news will be on the smaller guy for putting up a hell of a fight... if the smaller guy wins it is even worse for the bigger guy.... if the bigger guy wins... Oh well he should have won he is by far much larger. So the press will be all Penns no matter what happens.
    Then what would be the logical match-up for GSP other than Fitch or a rubber match with Serra?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

If Penn was a stagnant LW, then I would agree; his ass, though, has bounced in almost every weight category. Not necessarily a smaller guy fighting a bigger guy.

I would personally love GSP-Penn 2. The first fight was very close.
  17. Registered User
    Answers

Then what would be the logical match-up for GSP other than Fitch or a rubber match with Serra?
    Karo was promised a shot. If they can get Jake Shields... Nick Thompson, Diego Sanchez.

Just not a LW.
  18. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    If Penn was a stagnant LW, then I would agree; his ass, though, has bounced in almost every weight category. Not necessarily a smaller guy fighting a bigger guy.

I would personally love GSP-Penn 2. The first fight was very close.
    He packs on fat to fight at 170 and gasses as a result. It's a stupid idea.
  19. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

I don't think the 170 title loses any credibility if BJ fights for it. He was champ in that div before and does it really matter if he's not cutting 20lbs to make weight? But he may be looking past Sherk which isn't a very smart move. But as long as his cardio holds up I see him beating just about anyone at 170 or 155.
  20. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

He packs on fat to fight at 170 and gasses as a result. It's a stupid idea.
    He also never attempted to condition, and gassed as a result of that in conjunction with the fat. You speaking, generally, is a stupid idea, haha.

I think this would be a very exciting fight.
  21. Registered User
    Answers

He can't do tons of cardio when training to be at 170... he won't put on any ****ing weight,.
  22. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

He can't do tons of cardio when training to be at 170... he won't put on any ****ing weight,.
    I do, as can anybody. It's all about intake vs., expenditure, with some added determination and willpower. Cardio is most advantageous during a bulk to keep cholesterol levels and blood pressure in check, which invariably rise with weight gain.

I would say not only is it easy to do cardio while bulking, it's necessary. Fundamentals bruv.
  23. Registered User
    Answers

ALthough I think BJ would dominate the division, I don't like the champs at each weight jumping around until they have cleaned out their division, at least somewhat.
  24. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

That's true. However, with the stable being as it is, who is left after Fitch? Speaking about legitimate, PPV-draw contenders.
  25. Registered User
    Answers

I do, as can anybody. It's all about intake vs., expenditure, with some added determination and willpower. Cardio is most advantageous during a bulk to keep cholesterol levels and blood pressure in check, which invariably rise with weight gain.

I would say not only is it easy to do cardio while bulking, it's necessary. Fundamentals bruv.
    Hes going up to 170 for ONE FIGHT, why would he add permanent bulk to himself?
  26. Registered User
    Answers

That's true. However, with the stable being as it is, who is left after Fitch? Speaking about legitimate, PPV-draw contenders.
    They could hype up Karo I'm sure, but it's more BJ that needs to dominate his division. Not that I think there are a great deal of contenders, but I'd like to see him fight Edgar, and at least one of Tavares, Florian or Griffin before a match at 170.
  27. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Hes going up to 170 for ONE FIGHT, why would he add permanent bulk to himself?
    Dude, wtf are you talking about? I am saying that mass is easy to gain WHILE staying conditioned. You don't workout much, do you?
  28. Registered User
    Answers

Dude, wtf are you talking about? I am saying that mass is easy to gain WHILE staying conditioned. You don't workout much, do you?
    You are missing my point.
  29. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

You are missing my point.
    No, I understand it, though I am not sure the same can be said for you.

Your point:

BJ must gain a ton (pun intended) of fat in order to fight at WW; this causes his condition to degenerate severely. You then feel BJ cannot do cardio and gain weight at the same time.

My point:

BJ's lack of conditioning is just that - a lack of conditioning. He openly admitted in the past to focus very little on cardiovascular training. His high BF% in fights then, in my opinion, is a symptom, not the impetus for his poor conditioning.

So, what I am saying to you, is that it is entirely possible to gain quality mass while staying conditioned. You are then saying that this must be permanent mass, which is ridiculous, because no mass is permanent. Cool?
  30. Registered User
    Answers

Penn will give GSP the most competitive fight, IMO, but I haven't been training BJJ for 6 months, so maybe Ubiquitous could tell us how it should go.
  31. Registered User
    Answers

No, I understand it, though I am not sure the same can be said for you.

Your point:

BJ must gain a ton (pun intended) of fat in order to fight at WW; this causes his condition to degenerate severely. You then feel BJ cannot do cardio and gain weight at the same time.

My point:

BJ's lack of conditioning is just that - a lack of conditioning. He openly admitted in the past to focus very little on cardiovascular training. His high BF% in fights then, in my opinion, is a symptom, not the impetus for his poor conditioning.

So, what I am saying to you, is that it is entirely possible to gain quality mass while staying conditioned. You are then saying that this must be permanent mass, which is ridiculous, because no mass is permanent. Cool?
    So you are saying BJ looked NOT conditioned in his fight with Joe Daddy?
  32. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

So you are saying BJ looked NOT conditioned in his fight with Joe Daddy?
    Jesus, what is wrong with you Mouth?

I said he DID look conditioned in that fight; my point, is that with enough due diligence he can look like that at WW.
  33. Registered User
    Answers

Jesus, what is wrong with you Mouth?

I said he DID look conditioned in that fight; my point, is that with enough due diligence he can look like that at WW.
    And I am saying he can't.
  34. Registered User
    Answers

Penn made GSP look pretty average for 3 rounds, no one else can say the same. That was before he buckled down on his training, with the extra focus on conditioning I think Penn beats GSP. Guaranteed it would be a hell of a fight, and no current WW can give GSP more trouble than Penn. Why shouldn't they fight again?
  35. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

And I am saying he can't.
    Is that what your extensive experience with strength and conditioning leads you to believe?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I'd slap my mama to see that fight (I wouldn't really), but a GSP vs Penn 2 would be amazing.
    NSCA - CSCS
  37. Registered User
    Answers

Is that what your extensive experience with strength and conditioning leads you to believe?
    I know nothing of training. Clearly... as I know nothing of MMA.
  38. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I know nothing of training. Clearly... as I know nothing of MMA.
    Or grammar, apparently.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  39. Registered User
    Answers

Or grammar, apparently.
    Yes, I care a great deal about grammar on message boards. I know my Midterm for life weighs heavily on it.
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  231 lbs.
    Answers

somebody needs to throw a dropkick on this thread like it was Butterbean.

*droppeth the ubi bomb*

I'm thinking "Let's Get Physical" by Olivia Newton John is the best walk out music ever.... close second? "Crazy on you" by Heart.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Matt Serra Returns to UFC Feb 6th
    By Swaggerstick in forum MMA
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-25-2009, 11:19 PM
  2. Hughes Vs. Serra
    By bigwhiteguy29 in forum MMA
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 05:02 PM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 04:28 PM