where to begin??

bubbaw

bubbaw

Awards
Im looking for a little advice. Im 34, 5'7" 170 and in decent shape cardio and lifting wise. Im looking for some martial arts, or self defense type class to start taking mostly for the self confidence to handle an altercation if it arises. Im not looking be in the UFC, I just have never been in the situation of a fistfight. I know that mabey weird but thats where I'm at. Me and my brother boxed a couple times when I was a kid and I SUCKED. I walked straight into punches and that settled that.
Any help on a good starting point would be appreciated. Ive been looking at whats in the neighborhood and theres, Grappling, jiu jitsu, krav maga and Im sure more I just didnt know where to look.

Thanks.

tattoopierced1

Krav Maga would be good for what you are looking for.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Either a Boxing Class or a Muay Thai class. Taking plastic guns from training partners isn't gonna help you... Krav is retarded.

tattoopierced1

thats not all Krav is about though.. sure that is part of it, but not all of it.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Just go out and try them all and find the one that seems like the best fit.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'd have to say none of them. If you have managed to avoid confrontations so far in life then keep doing what's kept you safe. You don't want to take a martial art and have some false confidence that you can handle yourself should an altercation arise.

bubbaw

bubbaw

Awards
Thanks for the replies..
Im pretty aware of whats kept me "safe", Ive used humor to diffuse situations but that not really what this is about. I like challenges. I like to know Im growing as a person in differing ways. I rode dirtbikes and raced up into the expert class locally, ride epics on mtn. bikes and entered a road century when I thought there was no way I could. I'm kind of a glutton :) This is one of those hurdles if you will, that needs to be jumped. Can I take, block, or return a punch? no way to know unless somebody throws one I guess. I dont want to fight, I just want to know how.....
If that makes sense.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You could always carry a taser.
$40 taser better than Krav Maga, NFW!!

I wouldn't worry too much about which MA is best for self defense. Just choose whichever one grabs your interest.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The best base is strength sports like strongman. Then if some little bjj guy like Rodja or Ubi starts stuff with you, let them catch you in a triangle and slam them down like an atlas stone. I'm pretty sure this would work as I saw it in a Rampage fight, I think. :twisted:

:goodpost:

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Yup it would work if they stayed straight under you, but if they knew what they were doing they would make themselves more perpendicular with you and even hook an arm under one of your legs. Nighty night!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The best base is strength sports like strongman. Then if some little bjj guy like Rodja or Ubi starts stuff with you, let them catch you in a triangle and slam them down like an atlas stone. I'm pretty sure this would work as I saw it in a Rampage fight, I think. :twisted:

:goodpost:
F*ck a triangle, I'll gogo your ass.

liftbig74

Awards
Krav Maga would be good for what you are looking for.
I agree, im deffinetly not an expert on any form of martial arts but I saw this style of fighting on Fight Quest last night(discovery channel) and IMO is exactly what you are looking for. I'm sure you could find a link somewhere and watch the same thing I saw.

ANd probally a little more effective than the taser idea.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hapkido and Kenpo seem to incorporate moves from other arts too and wouldn't be a bad idea to practice. It really depends more on the instructor than the art though. If you receive good instruction in any art then you should be able to protect yourself if need be.

Krav Maga uses some dirty tactics so I wonder how that would fare on the street. I know people say there's no rules if you fight on the street but I've seen different. Of course if you're being mugged then anything goes. But if an altercation arises at a bar and two people decide to throwdown there seems to be some unwritten rules: no biting, eye gouging, fish hooking or low blows. If someone commits one or several of those moves then usually someon watching will jump in and sucker punch them for using what people deem here a "***** move". At least that has been my experiences in Cali, Vegas and AZ. Perhaps in other places it's anything goes though.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
A friend I haven't seen in years started Kempo about 7 years ago. Well it just so happens the next time I see him is in a club and he has an "altercation". Kempo works. Thats all I'll say.

glaze1353

glaze1353

Awards
i was like you before in school when i was in yr 9. there was this big beer belly guy who was a ft taller then me n rumors were going around that he was gonna smash me up cause of an argument we had a long time ago. Of course not having ever been in a real fight before i was like oh **** and very nervous.

then the week after that out of no where he ran up at me and kneed me right in the ribcage. I fell down but immediately got back up. Instead of adrenaline i was filled with some sort of rage like my mind was saying "I don't care how fuken tough that guy thinks he is his gonna pay for that.

I walked up to him and raised my right hand back for a giant hay maker and at the same time jabbed him in the nose with my left then straight after with my hardest right hook straight to his ear he started wobbling around as if to fall down then i smacked him again with a hard hook from my left hand and it sent him straight to the ground shaking like he was electrocuted or somethen.

Then everyone in the school after that no longer was seen as a threat because they all saw and probably think that im just naturally crazy lol. You dont need martial arts all the time because the basics work to, it just depends on the situation.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
i was like you before in school when i was in yr 9. there was this big beer belly guy who was a ft taller then me n rumors were going around that he was gonna smash me up cause of an argument we had a long time ago. Of course not having ever been in a real fight before i was like oh **** and very nervous.

then the week after that out of no where he ran up at me and kneed me right in the ribcage. I fell down but immediately got back up. Instead of adrenaline i was filled with some sort of rage like my mind was saying "I don't care how fuken tough that guy thinks he is his gonna pay for that.

I walked up to him and raised my right hand back for a giant hay maker and at the same time jabbed him in the nose with my left then straight after with my hardest right hook straight to his ear he started wobbling around as if to fall down then i smacked him again with a hard hook from my left hand and it sent him straight to the ground shaking like he was electrocuted or somethen.

Then everyone in the school after that no longer was seen as a threat because they all saw and probably think that im just naturally crazy lol. You dont need martial arts all the time because the basics work to, it just depends on the situation.
This dude is awesome.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

Wasn't that in "3 O'Clock High". Alex, I know you've seen this killer movie.

Hmm, I wonder if I could slam out of a gogo?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Not enough leverage for you to slam out of a gogo.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

That was a great flick. Slamming out of a gogo could be a decapitater. I wonder what was going through Arona's head as he was getting jacked up into the air by Rampage.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Here's some advice from an actual boxer: You aught to go to go to a boxing gym maybe twice a week and train learn the moves ect. Speed, agility, endurance, stamina will increase and how you will learn throw/dodge a punch will that will even astonish you.. Good luck!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here's some advice from an actual boxer: You aught to go to go to a boxing gym maybe twice a week and train learn the moves ect. Speed, agility, endurance, stamina will increase and how you will learn throw/dodge a punch will that will even astonish you.. Good luck!!
Except that many boxing techniques are not very street friendly. Muay Thai and/or BJJ are your best bets.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Except that many boxing techniques are not very street friendly. Muay Thai and/or BJJ are your best bets.
yea true but if i hit you with a jab before you have time to do any fancy crap its over lol...

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Boxmeman, that's awesome that you're an actual boxer. Have any fight vids to show us?

grila jujitsu

grila jujitsu

Awards
  • Established
I did Krav for a year... its crap/.
really....where? because there are very few places in the U.S. that actually teach it. I highly doubt you were learning the real thing.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Boxmeman, that's awesome that you're an actual boxer. Have any fight vids to show us?
No but I will dont worry im currently on a bulk and am taking some time off from the gym, but this summer aught to be fun...