Where would you like to see Vanderlei?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
The rumors about Wanderlei Silva’s next Ultimate Fighting Championship bout have been gaining momentum lately and the Brazilian’s latest blog entry on his official website will only fan the flames.

After taking some time to travel with his family to Brazil, Silva has returned to the U.S. and is starting to talk about his next fight and surprisingly, a possible move down in weight classes to the middleweight division.

"I just got home to Vegas and I am going to the UFC office to know about my next fight,” said Silva.

“I’m thinking about my next opponent who’s probably going to be (Keith) Jardine. I found him a good choice after his victory over Chuck Liddell.” He also said, “I think that would be a very good opponent because our styles match very good.”

Though he added, “…there’s nothing official yet.”

Jardine has been the name most often mentioned for Silva’s likely return in May at UFC 84 in Las Vegas. His blog entry seems to confirm that is the bout being discussed not only by fans, but also by the UFC officials.

Despite the prospect of Keith Jardine on the horizon, Silva has another fighter on his mind, Dan Henderson. Along with a Henderson rematch, he mentioned a possible drop in weight classes as well.

“On the other hand, we have Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson, which will a very good fight. If Henderson wins that fight, I wouldn't think twice to drop down my weight to face him again,” stated Silva. “I respect him a lot, but I have him inside my throat since our last fight because I wasn't in my best day on that occasion.”

The two faced each other at Pride Fighting Championships final event in America in February of 2007. Henderson knocked out Silva two minutes into the third round.

“I am thinking seriously (about changing) my weight class in the UFC because I am too short and the athletes in my weight class are 1.90 meters (6’3”) tall. At the moment, I am 1.80 meters (5’11”),” he stated.

“I’ve being waiting, but I haven’t grown any taller. I think my size will be this one!”

Silva would be one of the larger fighters at middleweight and there are plenty of opponents that would provide prominent match-ups. The obvious marquee bouts would be against fellow Brazilian and current champion Anderson Silva or the rematch with Henderson. But en route to either of those fights, there are other potential fights with Nate Marquardt, Rich Franklin, Yushin Okami, or the returning Evan Tanner.

So it sounds as if there may be a future for the “Axe Murderer” in the lighter weight class, but considering his tone about the possibility of a bout with Jardine, it appears that any move will likely wait until sometime after May.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think MW is a better fit in the UFC. He can slug it out with most poeple at 185 and I could see him KOing Franklin. Him losing to Jardine would be too depressing for me.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I agree. Wand is obviously a warrior, the guy wanted to fight Fedor and did fight CC and Mark Hunt, with decent success. 185 is perfect for him and I'd love to see him get a rubber match with Hendo. He's 5'11" on a good day and doesn't have a huge frame. I don't consider it a letdown for him to drop in weight, and I hope he does.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have accepted that he may not be LHW champ, but he belongs at 205. He needs to fight Hendo and Chuck again, and possibly Rampage. I don't think he has a problem against larger fighters; he held his own against Hunt in a questionable loss.

People act like he lost convincingly to Chuck. I think that fight helped to reaffirm the notion that he can handle his own at 205. Lest not forget, he dropped Chuck and not the other way around.

grila jujitsu

grila jujitsu

Awards
  • Established
I Would Love To See Him In The Middle Weight !

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I have accepted that he may not be LHW champ, but he belongs at 205. He needs to fight Hendo and Chuck again, and possibly Rampage. I don't think he has a problem against larger fighters; he held his own against Hunt in a questionable loss.

People act like he lost convincingly to Chuck. I think that fight helped to reaffirm the notion that he can handle his own at 205. Lest not forget, he dropped Chuck and not the other way around.
I guess after 3 losses I just want to see him win. The Jardine fight makes me nervous, but I think he can pull it out. I don't know if we'll ever see a 100% Wand again. A 90% Wand belongs at MW, IMO. A long busy career and now 3 bad losses in a row are tough to fully come back from. I do think Chuck beat him pretty bad, hate to say it.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I guess after 3 losses I just want to see him win. The Jardine fight makes me nervous, but I think he can pull it out. I don't know if we'll ever see a 100% Wand again. A 90% Wand belongs at MW, IMO. A long busy career and now 3 bad losses in a row are tough to fully come back from. I do think Chuck beat him pretty bad, hate to say it.
That sounds about right. I would say Chuck beat him soundly but not bad in the rare fight that lived up to the hype.

I'd like to see 2 things from Wandy. The raging aggression of old and those deadly knees and clinch game re-emerge. The latter could happen at 205, but the former requires some sort of a change like moving to 185.

Seriously Alex, for having watched MMA for 10 years or whatever, can you really not spell Wanderlei?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That sounds about right. I would say Chuck beat him soundly but not bad in the rare fight that lived up to the hype.

I'd like to see 2 things from Wandy. The raging aggression of old and those deadly knees and clinch game re-emerge. The latter could happen at 205, but the former requires some sort of a change like moving to 185.

Seriously Alex, for having watched MMA for 10 years or whatever, can you really not spell Wanderlei?
I don't know why I went old school and wrote Vanderlei, wonder who Hodrigo is gonna fight next, sweet jesus. Yeah, I'd love to see the raging aggression, better chance of that at MW. The only problem with MW is obviously Anderson Silva. Does he fight him? Can he win?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like I said in another thread-he needs to bring back the Vale Tudo shorts and his deadly knees.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Anderson would definitely beat him standing IMO, but it could be interesting in the clinch. Hendo may beat A. Silva which would set up a nice eventual rematch. Maybe Bisping as his first opponent at 185.

I might actually eat a cyanide sandwich if someone like Leben KOed him though.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Like I said in another thread-he needs to bring back the Vale Tudo shorts and his deadly knees.
Agreed. Screw the board shorts, VT shorts are where its at. Whenever I show newbs some of Fedor's fights, they comment on his "ridiculous" shorts. I'm far more appauled about that being their main observation and not his crazy skills than I am at the fact that they think the VT shorts are gay, unbelievable. The knees are gonna be tough in the UFC especially at 205. The obvious reason being the height of the fighters, but also a lot of his knee attacks were when fighters were grounded or semi-grounded. They really need to allow knees to a downed opponent(head). I'm OK with no kicks or stomps, but no knees messes up the sport IMO.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Anderson would definitely beat him standing IMO, but it could be interesting in the clinch. Hendo may beat A. Silva which would set up a nice eventual rematch. Maybe Bisping as his first opponent at 185.

I might actually eat a cyanide sandwich if someone like Leben KOed him though.
The thought of that being a very small possibility makes me sick. That's Karelin losing to fat boy Gardner bad.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Leben KOing Wand is all but an impossibility. Maybe in 2007, the year of the upset but it appears that order has been restored in 08.

So Wand is going to MW now with the inception of NSAC's randomized testing and steroid testing in general? Anderson would likely pick him apart as Wand does have trouble with taller fighters as evident with the Liddell bout. Otherwise he could do well in the MW division.

AT 205 there are still interesting match-ups for him and it will be interesting to see how he compares in a drug tested org now.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

I cant remember when did that happen? 2nd round?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to see Wand at 185. You guys have already stated why. I've been complaining about Wand moving away from his greatest strength, the MT clinch, but that would obviously be easier at 185.

I like Bisping as a first opponent. Alan Belcher would be a very exciting fight. It would be fun to see Wand cripple "Da Crippler". Franklin and Wand could be a great fight due to the dramatic contrast of styles. Wand destroying Jason MacDonald would be inspiring.

At LHW Wand just runs the risk of being outsized and outwrestled the whole time. He did well against Hunt and CC (1st time), but they didn't even have the wrestling of a Forrest Griffin. If Wand stays at 205, there may be a lot of boring, frustrating matches ahead.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
He will go to 85 and be Tito'esque in being a gatekeeper.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Damn, you've been unloading on people lately, like the dude that said deadlift hurts so he doesn't do it in the "Big 3" thread. Rodja = new king ahole? Time will tell.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
:nutkick: If by gatekeeper you mean beltholder, then yes. If not, then you are the abominable snowman.
First off, it's definitely bruv. I don't know about beltholder, but it's definitely possible, maybe Anderson will retire:lol: Gatekeeper is hilarious, he'll demolish almost everyone at 185. Rodja's talking sh*t, me likes.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Dan beats Ando. Wand beats Dan. Then eventually Ando beats Wando. It's possible, but I'm maybe liking Andersons chances a little over Dan.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Dude, grab some cojones and lets bet on this fight. You think Dan is gonna beat "Ando"(gayest sh*t ever). I'll give you friggin 2:1 on this, hey ho let's go.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
I'm not gonna argue. Just wait and watch. Wandy is WAY past his physical prime.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
You think Dan is gonna beat "Ando"(gayest sh*t ever). I'll give you friggin 2:1 on this, hey ho let's go.
I actually was snickering to myself as I typed "Ando and Wando" because they were such lame nicknames. :lol:

I'll think about the bet, but truthfully I just don't want to have to learn how to use paypal. Also, I said I'm favoring Anderson slightly over Dan. Re-read!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I actually was snickering to myself as I typed "Ando and Wando" because they were such lame nicknames. :lol:

I'll think about the bet, but truthfully I just don't want to have to learn how to use paypal. Also, I said I'm favoring Anderson slightly over Dan. Re-read!
You keep flip flopping, I could re-read a lot of sh*t and still not know. Paypal is easy to use, if I can do it anyone can. I'm already taking an easy 50 from Mouth, so that's why I'm giving you 2:1 odds. We could make it something small, like 40:20? Makes the fights a little more exciting, not that we need that in this fight. Snickering huh, puking may have been a more suitable option.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
You keep flip flopping, I could re-read a lot of sh*t and still not know. Paypal is easy to use, if I can do it anyone can. I'm already taking an easy 50 from Mouth, so that's why I'm giving you 2:1 odds. We could make it something small, like 40:20? Makes the fights a little more exciting, not that we need that in this fight. Snickering huh, puking may have been a more suitable option.
Nothing like wining 3;1 odds

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure that I trust a WnBer phantom lifter? Hmm :think::lol:

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
That will be a painful 150 to cough up if Riddum boy loses, but I don't think it's gonna happen.
I'm pretty accurate when I pick underdogs. So we shall see... Long time to wait.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure that I trust a WnBer phantom lifter? Hmm :think::lol:
Damn, what's WnBer? No man, I'm trustworthy, I mean I'll fvck your wife, but I'll always pay a bet on time without any controversy. I accepted Savage's money on time:lol:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Oh, I got you on the WnBer. Us WnBers are a trustworthy bunch, better than alcoholics, of course I am that too.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
WnBer = morning MJ fan. I'm not trustworthy, "I'll fvck you in the ass until you love me, you little fa....." Whoa not sure where that came from.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn, you've been unloading on people lately, like the dude that said deadlift hurts so he doesn't do it in the "Big 3" thread. Rodja = new king ahole? Time will tell.
Nah, that's one of my friends/training partners.