Kimbo

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Is bad for the sport. I want Antonio Silva to smash him,.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why is he bad for the sport? I've heard this a few times on this forum.

tattoopierced1

I dont think he's bad for the sport, I just wish they'd give him a decent opponent. I'd love to see him against someone like Imes or Silva as you stated. I know they are trying to build him up, but I think putting him against has beens or no names is doing more damage to his rep than good.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think some of the complaint surrounding Kimbo being "bad for the sport" is the concern of the fan base he draws. The reasoning that a bad fan base will taint the credibility of the sport. I disagree, a fan base period, in terms of pure quantity outweighs the quality of the fan base. Money comes in numbers, period. The NFL is a respected sport with millions of idiot, sport clueless meat heads. Its the numbers of fans that pays the athletes millions of dollars, not the fan bases' ability to quote stats.

Even if Kimbo is drawing "a less cultured" fan base, you have to start somewhere. Not everybody who started watching MMA back in the day was about watching for technicality. It was primarily for entertaining knock outs, however it may come. You start from there and learn to appreciate and respect the sport over time.

If the fan base was only relegated to people who "KNOW" MMA so well that they instinctively pronounce their "R's" with an "H" sound and their "W's" with a "V" the whole sport would go bankrupt.

Numbers and money is good for everybody, the athletes, the organizations and the interest & local/national participants in MMA, which in turn points back to perpetuating the growth of the sport.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
His Crowd, His Demeanor and the way they market him. Horrid for us that have put blood and sweat into making it legit.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
His Crowd, His Demeanor and the way they market him. Horrid for us that have put blood and sweat into making it legit.
Nothing he can do about the crowd if you look at it from a positive perspective it could do a lot of good.

As far as demeanor, I dont understand the problem.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Nothing he can do about the crowd if you look at it from a positive perspective it could do a lot of good.

As far as demeanor, I dont understand the problem.
How tied are you to helping legalize MMA?

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Isnt it already legalized?
Yes, because of people like me who went in front of City Councils and State Legislatures to plead cases as to why it should be legal, and to denounce that we support people like Kimbo. To show them we are a legit sport and not some freak show.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yes, because of people like me who went in front of City Councils and State Legislatures to plead cases as to why it should be legal, and to denounce that we support people like Kimbo. To show them we are a legit sport and not some freak show.
Look i realize that MMA has a very strong tie to martial arts that are based on discipline, respect, and honor, but why turn your back on people like Kimbo. Would you rather he be out fighting like he was before, promoting street fighting? Do you really think that Kimbo is the only one of his kind and that maybe their are a few more out their like him , just not as popular? What about some of the current stars of MMA? Look at sports in general?

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Look i realize that MMA has a very strong tie to martial arts that are based on discipline, respect, and honor, but why turn your back on people like Kimbo. Would you rather he be out fighting like he was before, promoting street fighting? Do you really think that Kimbo is the only one of his kind and that maybe their are a few more out their like him , just not as popular? What about some of the current stars of MMA? Look at sports in general?
If they weren't showing his street fighting footage, pimping him as a street fighter and bare knuckle law breaker it would be different. I would rather he be touted as a boxer and show him in a agym smacking a bag... not at a boat yard hitting some dude wearing nothing but shorts and a gold chain. We've done a **** ton to make this not be billed as human **** fighting and they aren't doing anything to help us. They are doing a bunch to hinder it. If you think we're in the clear with the government you are sadly mistaken.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If they weren't showing his street fighting footage, pimping him as a street fighter and bare knuckle law breaker it would be different. I would rather he be touted as a boxer and show him in a agym smacking a bag... not at a boat yard hitting some dude wearing nothing but shorts and a gold chain. We've done a **** ton to make this not be billed as human **** fighting and they aren't doing anything to help us. They are doing a bunch to hinder it. If you think we're in the clear with the government you are sadly mistaken.

IMHO the sport isnt going anywhere, there is too much money already being made, besides the govenment has their noses stuck in too many so called other respectable sports. As far as kimbo I see where your coming from, but i believe a positive spin could come out of it.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You don't think all his recent footage of training in the gym with Bas, hitting the bags and his conditioning bouts are improving his image.

Kimbo confesses himself to be, or at least attaining to be more then a one dimensional fighter "now" and recognizes the difference between MMA and his street brawls.

Whats wrong with Kimbo's demeanor? Rampage enters the ring with a much more disturbed pre-fight face then he does.

People in the NFL aren't exactly hosting tea parties, the media, the fans, the organizations love it when their athletes come hyped and ready to hurt.

Tank has been around when the MMA was in a much more fragile state. And all Tank did was flip people off, cuss in the mic and say all he does is drink at bars and fight. Kimbo has already come off as taking the sport much more seriously.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Ill tell you, Matt Hughes's book is more of an eye opener than Kimbo is to me.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
IMHO the sport isnt going anywhere, there is too much money already being made, besides the govenment has their noses stuck in too many so called other respectable sports. As far as kimbo I see where your coming from, but i believe a positive spin could come out of it.
Not true. McCain has touched on MMA in his current campaign... he is a long time enemy of this sport. I swear to you we are FAR from in the clear.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
You don't think all his recent footage of training in the gym with Bas, hitting the bags and his conditioning bouts are improving his image.

Kimbo confesses himself to be, or at least attaining to be more then a one dimensional fighter "now" and recognizes the difference between MMA and his street brawls.

Whats wrong with Kimbo's demeanor? Rampage enters the ring with a much more disturbed pre-fight face then he does.

People in the NFL aren't exactly hosting tea parties, the media, the fans, the organizations love it when their athletes come hyped and ready to hurt.

Tank has been around when the MMA was in a much more fragile state. And all Tank did was flip people off, cuss in the mic and say all he does is drink at bars and fight. Kimbo has already come off as taking the sport much more seriously.
I dont care if KIMBO recognizes it. I'm worried about his MARKETING. Ramopage is also a known joker with a long history of being in MMA, supporting MMA and etc... Kimbo does not... apples to oranges. Tank is a ****ing ididot. I can't stand that *******... he is 2-7 in his last 9... to even say he is a MIXED MARTIAL ARTIST is like throwing sand in the face of anyone who actually trains.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont care if KIMBO recognizes it. I'm worried about his MARKETING. Ramopage is also a known joker with a long history of being in MMA, supporting MMA and etc... Kimbo does not... apples to oranges. Tank is a ****ing ididot. I can't stand that *******... he is 2-7 in his last 9... to even say he is a MIXED MARTIAL ARTIST is like throwing sand in the face of anyone who actually trains.
I agree with you there, Tank is an idiot.

I also agree that to fans, Rampage is well, WELL known as a joker, but to some legislator looking from the outside in, they won't recognize the difference between Kimbo and Rampage.

From a very involved, legal stand point, I'll just concede you've got the heads up on that and your distaste for Kimbo may be well founded, but from a fans point of view, he keeps the sport interesting in the HW division. I'm a bigger "hopeful" fan of Brock, but I do enjoy watching Kimbo fight.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you there, Tank is an idiot.

I also agree that to fans, Rampage is well, WELL known as a joker, but to some legislator looking from the outside in, they won't recognize the difference between Kimbo and Rampage.

From a very involved, legal stand point, I'll just concede you've got the heads up on that and your distaste for Kimbo may be well founded, but from a fans point of view, he keeps the sport interesting in the HW division. I'm a bigger "hopeful" fan of Brock, but I do enjoy watching Kimbo fight.
Maybe from a casual fans stand point. I don't see anyone with a legit background in MMA trom 2002 or earlier taking to this guy's marketing ploys. Its great HE PERSONALLY is taking it seriously... but Shotime is not. Gary Shaw is a douche.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It was kind of weird when you had 666 posts, but you're good now.

Well I hope the atmosphere and perspectives of his situation changes, because I enjoy his fights.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
It was kind of weird when you had 666 posts, but you're good now.

Well I hope the atmosphere and perspectives of his situation changes, because I enjoy his fights.
It can't change. Shotime developed it the way they did and will continue to sell it this way. It sucks.