What is up with CroCop...is he leaving? Is UFC going to Japan?

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Monday
2-11-2008

"Please be patient"

"I promised to share some news with you today and I feel bad by not doing so. There are some reasons for this that I can't speak of at the moment. However, I promise to make the statement as soon as possible. Thank you for supporting me and I hope that little more patience is not too much to ask." - Mirko Crocop

Source: MMA ID | CROCOP

Tuesday
2-12-2008

"I'm Off to Japan!"
I'm off to Tokyo!
A big announcement will come straight from Japan tomorrow (February 13).
When the official part is done I'll be able to provide more information about everything,
and believe me, I have many things to say.
What you could easily guess by now is that I won't be retiring.
I'll keep on fighting, it's my life, it's what I do. - Mirko Crocop

MMA ID | CROCOP

Wednesday
2-13-2008

TBA - The Official final word on Mirko's situation will be Announced.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I keep seeing this stuff. Does he think Dana will just be like "cool go ahead and leave and don't finsh your contract". There will be a legal battle...

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I keep seeing this stuff. Does he think Dana will just be like "cool go ahead and leave and don't finsh your contract". There will be a legal battle...
Do you think Dana will just cut him? I mean he really hasn't been worth the money that they are paying him. I hope he doesn't leave, it would be a pretty punk move, like he's running away.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Do you think Dana will just cut him? I mean he really hasn't been worth the money that they are paying him. I hope he doesn't leave, it would be a pretty punk move, like he's running away.
IDK, but it seems like Dana will make it hard for him to leave just from a competition aspect, but I guess if he's going to a Japanese org maybe Dana won't feel so threatened.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would almost bet Dana and co. cut him from the contract as he has been a total bust. He really has no credility imo, as he has been dominated in the UFC. I wish him well in the newer version of K1

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't care where he goes, I'll be watching!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
:twisted:I heard a rumor that their may be a 8 man HW tourny coming up:twisted:

Fedor
Barnett
Sergei
AA
Crocop
Couture
Sylvia
HMC

:banned:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yep in YAMMA fighting on broken glass.

Maybe CC could fight Sergei if he's fighting with the FEG-Yarrenoka group? Time to hit the gear and get the fire back CC :twisted:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Vika is back, he might get pissed at me for getting his hopes up on this tourny. I'd like to see Sergei kick CC's ass. I like CC, but I'm rolling 100% russian in 08. Suloev is gonna take care of Anderson. Semenov is dropping to 170 to handle GSP. Sergei and Aleks will take care of Fedors light work. I currently hop around the house announcing all the Russian fighters with the Pride lady's voice. "From Ruuuuuusssssssssssia with love...........Serhay............HAAAAAArrreeeeeeetonov."

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Fedor's light work....how ironic.

08 = year of Almeida for me. Watching that dude dance around the Octagon pumped me up. Silva better be careful.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Fedor's light work....how ironic.

08 = year of Almeida for me. Watching that dude dance around the Octagon pumped me up. Silva better be careful.
I thought his dancing sucked. Maybe Shoji can drop to 185 and give Almeida another run for his money. Or Semenov can handle him again on his way to Anderson. If Thackers not busy doing plyo's onto a 2 foot tire, he could probably give Almeida a nice fight:twisted:

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Cro Cop signed with K-1 according to my sources.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
No. He has one fight left. Dana told him "Fight for less or sit till your contract ends"

They can't enforce their US contract on him in Croatia. So he said eff you

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Damn, what a disappointment CC was in the UFC. I never imagined he would look so helpless on the ground getting pounded by GG, or getting beaten on his feet buy a guy that would barely crack the top 50 in K-1. What was it? Juice? Environment?

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Damn, what a disappointment CC was in the UFC. I never imagined he would look so helpless on the ground getting pounded by GG, or getting beaten on his feet buy a guy that would barely crack the top 50 in K-1. What was it? Juice? Environment?
I have to assume its a lack of steroids. I know its unfair to just assume but who wouldn't juice in MMA if there were no tests. IMO steroids give an advantage in MMA more than any other sport, besides possibly cycling or sprinting.

Notice how Rampage, who has always adamantly been against steroids, has taken off in the UFC while most of the rest of former Pride fighters have been lackluster to say the least.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I have to assume its a lack of steroids. I know its unfair to just assume but who wouldn't juice in MMA if there were no tests. IMO steroids give an advantage in MMA more than any other sport, besides possibly cycling or sprinting.

Notice how Rampage, who has always adamantly been against steroids, has taken off in the UFC while most of the rest of former Pride fighters have been lackluster to say the least.
You could very well be right. I wonder if Rampage will ever get a chance to fight Wandy or Shogun in the UFC. They've got Jardine and Chuck respectively, thats potentially an 0-2 start for both of them. That doesn't exactly put them on their way up to face Rampage, but I'd love to see those re-matches in the UFC. I'm hoping Wandy gets through Jardine. I have a feeling Shogun is in trouble against Chuck.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Roids is a big deal. In a recent pic of Shogun it really looks like he has gastro boobs and his arms and gut are REAL soft. Makes me wonder why people like Gomi didn't really bother with the UFC.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I heard it was with K1. His legacy is totally tarnished as it was proven he is so 1 dimensional. A complete sham IMO.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Wow - I figured he might be leaving and it appears to be true. In my opinion he comes out of this situation looking like a coward. He loses 2 fights and then bolts b/c he can't hang with the competition? He could have redeemed himself in the UFC but instead he just runs away to Japan. I'm sure he couldn't care less, but I won't watch him anymore, and if I do I'll be cheering against him. Sad.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Wow - I figured he might be leaving and it appears to be true. In my opinion he comes out of this situation looking like a coward. He loses 2 fights and then bolts b/c he can't hang with the competition? He could have redeemed himself in the UFC but instead he just runs away to Japan. I'm sure he couldn't care less, but I won't watch him anymore, and if I do I'll be cheering against him. Sad.
Dana wanted him to fight for less money.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Dana wanted him to fight for less money.
That might be true, but it was also my understanding that in Mirko's contract it said that if he lost 2 in a row they could restructure his contract. Mirko signed this assuming he would not lose 2 in a row to "inferior" UFC talent. Dana didn't change the contract after a few losses. If Crocop didn't want to agree to that he shouldn't have signed it.
This whole situation just makes CroCop look bad in my opinion. It's perfect for Dana b/c now if CroCop goes out and beats up a few more HWs, Dana can just say how 2 of his unranked HWs beat Mirko therefore all of his fighters are much better. I personally think he still could have come back and challenged for the title. Sadly now none of us will ever know.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
That might be true, but it was also my understanding that in Mirko's contract it said that if he lost 2 in a row they could restructure his contract. Mirko signed this assuming he would not lose 2 in a row to "inferior" UFC talent. Dana didn't change the contract after a few losses. If Crocop didn't want to agree to that he shouldn't have signed it.
This whole situation just makes CroCop look bad in my opinion. It's perfect for Dana b/c now if CroCop goes out and beats up a few more HWs, Dana can just say how 2 of his unranked HWs beat Mirko therefore all of his fighters are much better. I personally think he still could have come back and challenged for the title. Sadly now none of us will ever know.
He is 1-2. They usually only enact that stipulation if you lose your first 2 fights in a row.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Jas might be right. Good chance that CC will face Sergei for the Dream HW title. Go Sergei.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
He is 1-2. They usually only enact that stipulation if you lose your first 2 fights in a row.
No, he's 0.5-2, I don't count his win to Eddie :run: Sanchez as much (the emoticon humor curtosy of Alex or Manchowder).

I'm cheering on Sergei this year. I hope he tears it up and KOs CC hard. I still like the Croatian, but this is the Russians time to shine, and not just because of his pasty exterior.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
No, he's 0.5-2, I don't count his win to Eddie :run: Sanchez as much (the emoticon humor curtosy of Alex or Manchowder).

I'm cheering on Sergei this year. I hope he tears it up and KOs CC hard. I still like the Croatian, but this is the Russians time to shine, and not just because of his pasty exterior.
Hell yeah, Ito:box:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Pride never dies. :twisted:

duh....duh....duh..duh

<----From Russia.....with love...Sergei.....KHARITONOV

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established

duh....duh....duh..duh

My favorite was on Pride 33 when she had to say "Antonioooooo Rogeriooooooo Minotoroooooo Nogueiraaaaaaaaaaaaaa" and the commentators said "Good thing his name wasn't any longer or we would have lost her"

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I also read that Dream and M1 have a deal in place for cross promotional fights and the possiiblity of CC/Fedor 2. At this point why?

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I also read that Dream and M1 have a deal in place for cross promotional fights and the possiiblity of CC/Fedor 2. At this point why?
So if CC would beat Fedor, does that mean Kongo and Gonzaga are better than Fedor???? ;)

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established

duh....duh....duh..duh

God I love Lenne Hardt. I would totally close my eyes and do her.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn, after all the smack I talked about how CC was going to whoop @$$ when he came to the UFC and he ended up getting his @$$ whooped right out of town.

So theres a general consensus here that it was the roids that made CC so dominant? Were most people on roids in Pride? If so, wouldn't that even out the playing field anyway? Just wondering.

Good point about Rampage dominating in the drug tested zone of UFC, when he was just a mid ranked fighter in Pride. Although I'm sure it had a lot to do with gained experience too.

Damn, CC was #2 on my list, just below Fedor and now he's looking like a punk. I'd still watch him fight and I'd probably still root for him to win, but not with the same excitement.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
God I love Lenne Hardt. I would totally close my eyes and do her.
The things she'd scream during sex would make it worth it. I'd have her announce my entrance with Igor's "Ice Cold" music in the background while I'm starting to hit it. Maybe Bas and the Fight Professor could commentate on the action with Takada beating a drum in a diaper. If I fall off the bed, maybe a team of small Japanese officials could restart the action in the center. :jaw:

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
The things she'd scream during sex would make it worth it. I'd have her announce my entrance with Igor's "Ice Cold" music in the background while I'm starting to hit it. Maybe Bas and the Fight Professor could commentate on the action with Takada beating a drum in a diaper. If I fall off the bed, maybe a team of small Japanese officials could restart the action in the center. :jaw:
LOL
You need a ref cam too.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Just don't get a yellow card for inactivity. :)

I don't think steroids or the lack thereof is responsible for CroCop's poor performance in the UFC. He obviously didn't train for fighting in the cage and thus his poor showings.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Just don't get a yellow card for inactivity. :)

I don't think steroids or the lack thereof is responsible for CroCop's poor performance in the UFC. He obviously didn't train for fighting in the cage and thus his poor showings.
Are you a Wand Silva fan? Damn, 2 posts in 3.5 years, we should feel honored :D

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Sportal.hr

Mirko plans on coming back to the UFC. He said he needed to fight soon and the UFC wasn't offering him a fight until May or later. According to Mirko the stipulation of the UFC letting him go was that he would eventually return when he was ready. He says he's slightly over 230 and in good shape. I still want Sergei to kick his ass.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
On Kongo's comments that Cro Cop needs steroids ...

I have a message for Kongo. Listen, I though that you are a sportsman, a professional like everyone else in this sport. You were lucky enough to fight against me during the deepest crisis of my career. You probably ate a lot of vegetables and potatoes to look like that? I'll be back in the cage and I hope you will be in the opposite corner. Then we'll see for how long you'll be able to talk.

I don't think Kongo's accusation was outlandish, but I would like to see CC get a re-match against Kongo.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
On Kongo's comments that Cro Cop needs steroids ...

I have a message for Kongo. Listen, I though that you are a sportsman, a professional like everyone else in this sport. You were lucky enough to fight against me during the deepest crisis of my career. You probably ate a lot of vegetables and potatoes to look like that? I'll be back in the cage and I hope you will be in the opposite corner. Then we'll see for how long you'll be able to talk.

I don't think Kongo's accusation was outlandish, but I would like to see CC get a re-match against Kongo.
I think Kongo should have just kept his mouth shut, but at this point what CroCop is saying are just empty words. Plus he pretty much accuses Kongo of taking steroids too. Ya, we all saw the killer that was CroCop in Pride, but the one that we saw in the UFC has no business threatening a beatdown on anyone (other than Eddie Sanchez) inside the cage.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think Kongo should have just kept his mouth shut, but at this point what CroCop is saying are just empty words. Plus he pretty much accuses Kongo of taking steroids too. Ya, we all saw the killer that was CroCop in Pride, but the one that we saw in the UFC has no business threatening a beatdown on anyone (other than Eddie Sanchez) inside the cage.
hahaha, but I'm also a CroCop fan so that kind of sucks too.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
New CC interview. There may be a fight with Fedor on Dec. 31 if the elusive one accepts.

http://www.jutarnji.hr/sport/borilac...,21,,109521.jl

Here's my translation. I hope it's satisfying.

Why did you leave the UFC?

I just couldn't wait until May.

But Dana White told the press he was waiting for you and not the other way around?

White obviously thought I was still on vacation but I notified him I was in full training and wanted to compete in March. However, the UFC couldn't find me an opponent that fast and I didn't want to stop my preparations and start all over again for my match in May. Besides I was HUNGRY for a fight and nervous (anxious) like a dog.

How did you come to an agreement with DREAM?

Soon after my conversation with Dana I got a call from DREAM. Altough I didn't sign any contract we came to an agreement for 3 fights in March, June and September. I never had written contracts with the Japenese because we have always done business by oral agreement (handshake).

What has drawn you to Dream?

The key thing was the opporunity to fight in March. Also Japan is where I built my name and in a way my second home.

What happened to your obligations towards the UFC?

I'm going to go back to the UFC without a doubt, altough my contract doesn't bind me to do so. The date of return depends on a possible fight with Fedor. The fight should take place on 31st December if Fedor accepts. If that failes I'll be back in the UFC by the end of this year.

The UFC has 'agreed' to let you go to the competition?

I have managed to come to terms with Dana and I'm thankful for his cooperation and understanding. I owe not only the UFC but especially my british fans who really supported me in my last two bouts. Not even in Japan have I received such support so I'm really sorry I was in a crisis back then.

With who did you want to fight in the UFC?

I asked for a rematch with Gonzaga but that was not possible because he lost to Werdum. Then I asked for Kongo but that wasn't possible either.

Will you be training in the ring or in the cage?

I'm continuing to train in the cage. Transitioning from the cage to the ring is not a problem but the other way around requires adjustments. It seems all the Pride fighters
underperformed when they made the transition to the UFC.

So you didn't take the transition from the ring to the octagon well?

I had fallen into some kind of psychological crisis. Even in the Sanchez fight I wasn't my old self. Maybe I got saturated with fighting after the OWGP.

How do you explain this crisis?

It's hard to explain, all I know is that I lost that KILLER INSTINCT. I lost 5kg (10lb) before the fight with Kongo, I had a hard time wanting to train and on the day of the fight I thought to myself: Why do I even need this, why am I fighting a guy I have never seen before. I was fed up with it all.

Are you in your old form again?

Everything is alright now. The fire in me is back and I want to fight really bad. I've never felt better, I'm in excellent shape. Once I fought for my material excistance now i fight for pride.

Will there be a tv broadcast of your fights from DREAM?

Most certainly.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Nice interview. I'm a little weary b/c we've heard this from CroCop before. Although just watching him in the UFC you could tell he didn't look like his old self. The sad thing is, he doesn't have much of a draw vs Fedor anyway. I mean he lost to GG and Kongo, who really thinks his fight with Fedor is like a dream matchup anymore? I guess it depends who he beats in his earlier fights...Barnett? AA?

I hope he really does come back to the UFC and starts kicking heads off again, but I have my doubts. I'm going to hold out hope though.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice interview. I'm a little weary b/c we've heard this from CroCop before. Although just watching him in the UFC you could tell he didn't look like his old self. The sad thing is, he doesn't have much of a draw vs Fedor anyway. I mean he lost to GG and Kongo, who really thinks his fight with Fedor is like a dream matchup anymore? I guess it depends who he beats in his earlier fights...Barnett? AA?

I hope he really does come back to the UFC and starts kicking heads off again, but I have my doubts. I'm going to hold out hope though.
You and me both. CC used to be my favorite fighter. I was rooting for him when he went up against Fedor, but Fedor's Fedor, what can you do. Fedor was my #2 guy at the time anyway, so it wasn't a complete disappointment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jas123 MMA 17
Beowulf MMA 2
MMA 4
Rodja MMA 47
firefighter2032 MMA 21